Lakers fire Darvin Ham

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 37,378

Re: Lakers fire Darvin Ham 

Post#201 » by zimpy27 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:11 am

HMFFL wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:It's a continuous cycle with Lebron James. He cannot help himself.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Ham could barely manage timeouts. Christian Woods was his 6th for several months. What're we talking about here?
Doesn't matter.
Lebron endorsed him being the head coach and he's quickly done once he loses. The Lakers have fired their entire coaching staff. The franchise continues to look pathetic and unprofessional.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Yeah he seemed like a good candidate being a well lauded assistant from a recent championship team.

Yet he clearly sucked at being a head coach and didn't have the in game skills to make adjustments, decide on lineups or even call timeouts appropriately.

He would be a great assistant though since he's good at team culture and on court strategy is fine. Maybe he was just great at what he'd been doing for decades and that's ok?
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
xchange55
Senior
And1: 526

Post#202 » by xchange55 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:16 am

Saw this story on a couple of sites today - the friction between James and Ham is over a minutes restriction plan. It says Ham wanted to but Bron a minutes restriction to keep him fresh for the post season. It only lasted a few games as Bron wasn't a fan of the plan. I mean that's restricting his stat padding and would make AD the star of the team.

Also a tired Bron Bron leads to this -
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,203

Post#203 » by Wallace_Wallace » Mon May 6, 2024 2:55 am

xchange55 wrote:Saw this story on a couple of sites today - the friction between James and Ham is over a minutes restriction plan. It says Ham wanted to but Bron a minutes restriction to keep him fresh for the post season. It only lasted a few games as Bron wasn't a fan of the plan. I mean that's restricting his stat padding and would make AD the star of the team.

Maybe LeBron is nursing a shoulder injury on both sides. The reason why he raises both arms up is not to blame his teammates, he is trying to stretch his arms and shoulders in order to keep it loose.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,039

Post#204 » by sp6r=underrated » Mon May 6, 2024 3:06 am

LaLover11 wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:
LaLover11 wrote:
That's normal lol why would you want baggage from the previous coach and not let me the new one being his own staff???

Well, they have spent a good amount of time with the team, can't be that they are all just "baggage" with nothing useful to contribute

It's like letting your Ex Girlfriends family stay and live with you after y'all break up.... Lmao get rid of everything that was associated with that person and start a new adventure

I'm in 100% agreement. Any decent coach will want to hire his assistants.

But you reminded me of one of my favorite NBA stories. How Spo kept his job with the Heat after Riley took over:

After he left [the University of Portland], Spoelstra spent two years as a player/assistant coach on a pro team in Germany. Then he used his father's connections to help him bag a job in Miami the summer of 1995.

The Heat had just let go interim head coach Alvin Gentry, who had taken over for fired Kevin Loughery midway through the 1994-95 season. No head coach was in place, but Dave Wohl, the vice president of basketball operations, was looking for a video coordinator. Chris Wallace, then Miami's director of player personnel, had worked as a scout with the Blazers when Jon Spoelstra was there.

"The team was in flux, and it wasn't clear whether (video coordinator) would be a full-time job or just a summer gig," Erik says. "It was an entry-level job, really, getting (Wohl) lunches, preparing video and helping with the draft."

When Riley was hired in late August, he didn't bring a video coordinator with him from the New York Knicks.

"With training camp maybe three or four weeks away, he walked into my office and asked, 'Can you do this job?' " Spoelstra says. "I had no idea what the job was, so I said, 'Absolutely. You got your man.' "

https://www.espn.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/4834/how-erik-spoelstra-came-to-work-for-pat-riley
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,295

Post#205 » by KembaWalker » Mon May 6, 2024 3:10 am

xchange55 wrote:Saw this story on a couple of sites today - the friction between James and Ham is over a minutes restriction plan. It says Ham wanted to but Bron a minutes restriction to keep him fresh for the post season. It only lasted a few games as Bron wasn't a fan of the plan. I mean that's restricting his stat padding and would make AD the star of the team.

This is why Duncan is greater than James to me. Dude was totally fine with cutting his minutes and shots, stat hoggery down because slacking on defense was non negotiable for him and the Spurs and that was the role he needed to play to continue bringing that energy on defense. Bron gets his 27/7/7 but it all comes at a cost too as far as what he deems as not worth his energy expenditure. Davis covers up a lot for him but he can’t do it all
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,585

Post#206 » by MavsDirk41 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:32 am

KembaWalker wrote:

This is why Duncan is greater than James to me. Dude was totally fine with cutting his minutes and shots, stat hoggery down because slacking on defense was non negotiable for him and the Spurs and that was the role he needed to play to continue bringing that energy on defense. Bron gets his 27/7/7 but it all comes at a cost too as far as what he deems as not worth his energy expenditure. Davis covers up a lot for him but he can’t do it all

Duncan wasnt worried about his legacy.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#207 » by sp6r=underrated » Mon May 6, 2024 3:35 am

Teen Girl Squad wrote:
10DayContract wrote:
KembaWalker wrote:
When all else fails, make some vague “rotations” complaint as if shuffling around some random bums minutes actually makes any difference

EXACTLY.

When you start crying about the "rotations" from your coach, you know your team is cooked.

Every single coach in the history of basketball could make better rotation calls. No one can execute a perfect game plan. Expecting some coach to never make a tactical mistake is like expecting a player to not ever miss a shot.

What was Ham supposed to do? Play Vanderbilt more? More Wood minutes were going to save the season? Trust DLo more, because he's so proven? Lakers already got rid of his ass before.

This Franchise is in Shambles.

As a Lakers fan, I agree.
Its the same thing with baseball fans and pitching decisions. 99% of rotation complaints are "X didn't work, not X would have worked 100% of the time!" This Lakers team basically played to its potential and lost two hard fought series to the best team in the league. I don't think Ham was a great/elite coach, but like Vogel, he was perfectly fine. Made obvious rotations, had players working hard and generally focused etc...I don't think Malone of the Nuggets is a clear tier above them either. There are only a few coaches that are truly elite (like Spo) and there are bad coaches (not as many as the past) and most are perfectly competent these days.

Non-Lakers Fan but I agree with your take. I'd just add few fans have the competency, I don't, to differentiate coaching quality. A lot of the value-add from coaching occurs before the season and is stuff fans never credit/blame coaches for.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#208 » by sp6r=underrated » Mon May 6, 2024 3:44 am

infinite11285 wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:
Ham could barely manage timeouts. Christian Woods was his 6th for several months. What're we talking about here?

LeBron has gotten one coach fired and that's Blatt. There's no indication at all he had anything to do with Vogel or Ham getting fired.

It doesn't matter. Not a single HC LeBron got “fired” experienced success on any level. Again, the microwaved takes on this Board are exhausting at times.

Folks really think a 40-year-old is making Front Office moves. It's quite stupid.

I'm largely in agreement with you but Vogel made a couple of ECF as a Head Coach. That is success.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM

Post#209 » by sp6r=underrated » Mon May 6, 2024 3:46 am

BTW, Redick as a hot coaching candidate is a good example of a certain type of privilege. Has Redick done anything to warrent a Head Coaching gig? He has no experience coaching on any level. He's a smooth talker and a reasonably handsome middle aged white guy. No idea why he is getting pushed.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,490

Post#210 » by ChipotleWest » Mon May 6, 2024 3:48 am

I'll laugh if they hire another former player like JJ Reddick because Lebron wants them to. Someone they'll just end up firing two years from now again. Coaching carousel.

I'm not a Lakers fan, but they should hire Coach Bud IMO. He's probably the best coach available. 484-317 record and won a championship.
"The best ability is availability"

Not if the player sucks a**.
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,890

Post#211 » by Richard Miller » Mon May 6, 2024 4:05 am

sp6r=underrated wrote:He's a smooth talker and a reasonably handsome middle aged white guy. No idea why he is getting pushed.

He still played for what, 17 seasons / 900+ games, you make it sound like they picked up some random guy off the street
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 370

Post#212 » by WentzerWuver » Mon May 6, 2024 5:24 am

ChipotleWest wrote:I'll laugh if they hire another former player like JJ Reddick because Lebron wants them to. Someone they'll just end up firing two years from now again. Coaching carousel.

I'm not a Lakers fan, but they should hire Coach Bud IMO. He's probably the best coach available. 484-317 record and won a championship.
Lebron doesn't want him to, only he wants to. Lebron wants Ty, didn't you get the memo?
LaLover11
Bench Warmer
And1: 833

Post#213 » by LaLover11 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:22 am

sp6r=underrated wrote:BTW, Redick as a hot coaching candidate is a good example of a certain type of privilege. Has Redick done anything to warrent a Head Coaching gig? He has no experience coaching on any level. He's a smooth talker and a reasonably handsome middle aged white guy. No idea why he is getting pushed.

His real privilege is that he has a great podcast with LeBron. That gave him a nice opportunity to coach the Lakers.

AD clearly said the Lakers had no game plan or clue what they we're doing on the court in the freaking playoffs.

Ham didn't have any great set plays and terrible rotations during the season/playoffs.
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,745

Post#214 » by NbaAllDay » Mon May 6, 2024 8:03 am

Lots of the comments make it clear people don't watch Lakers games they just want to throw faeces instead.

Anyone who has seen the games knows Ham was never up to it and routinely mismanaged lineups, especially in crucial times.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,858

Post#215 » by Beethoven » Mon May 6, 2024 8:13 am

Ham sucks
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)

Return to The General Board