Lakers fire Darvin Ham

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,304

Re: Lakers fire Darvin Ham 

Post#61 » by Ben-N1ce » Fri May 3, 2024 7:08 pm

nbanflguy wrote:Who in their right mind would willingly sign up to be Lebron's coach at this stage of his career?

There are 30 of those jobs in the world...surely plenty of people that want to be head coaches turn that opportunity down...
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,434

Post#62 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri May 3, 2024 7:09 pm

Not surprised.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,495

Post#63 » by og15 » Fri May 3, 2024 7:11 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
nbanflguy wrote:Coaching Lebron, especially at this stage of his career, is a death sentence. You are not there to coach NBA basketball. You are there to be the public face of Lebron's failures.

That's why you make LeBron the coach.

I'm assuming people are joking or just unaware that player coach has not been allowed for a long time
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,159

Post#64 » by UcanUwill » Fri May 3, 2024 7:13 pm

DavidSterned wrote:Silver should name the In-Season Championship Trophy after him for his sacrifice.

Ham Cup? Because I like it (Zoidberg voice)
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,348

Post#65 » by kodo » Fri May 3, 2024 7:13 pm

I'm guessing Budenholzer is more likely than JJ. They don't really have time for Redick to get all his rookie HC mistakes out, and he hasn't been on the bench for 10+ years like Thibs when he came to Chicago.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,445

Post#66 » by itrsteve » Fri May 3, 2024 7:15 pm

Can’t wait to see who the next scapegoat is
nbanflguy
Sophomore
And1: 345

Post#67 » by nbanflguy » Fri May 3, 2024 7:15 pm

Ben-N1ce wrote:
nbanflguy wrote:Who in their right mind would willingly sign up to be Lebron's coach at this stage of his career?

There are 30 of those jobs in the world...surely plenty of people that want to be head coaches turn that opportunity down...

Surely if you are in position to be able to have the opportunity to get the Lakers job then you could get a job with one of those 29 other teams instead. Agreeing to coach the Lakers is willingly signing up to be the captain of the titanic....... after it has already hit the iceberg
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,181
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#68 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri May 3, 2024 7:15 pm

This is the model. If you keep firing and hiring cosches and trading players, you can always blame your failures on continuity and infrastructure.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,684

Post#69 » by EmpireFalls » Fri May 3, 2024 7:19 pm

nbanflguy wrote:
Ben-N1ce wrote:

Surely if you are in position to be able to have the opportunity to get the Lakers job then you could get a job with one of those 29 other teams instead. Agreeing to coach the Lakers is willingly signing up to be the captain of the titanic....... after it has already hit the iceberg

Ludicrous take. Only someone who isn’t a competitor and never has been a competitor would write something like this. If I get the chance to coach a playoff team with two All-NBA players I’m going to do it every single time.
Individual
Junior
And1: 386

Post#70 » by Individual » Fri May 3, 2024 7:25 pm

Lakers looking like a better team for next season already
nbanflguy
Sophomore

Post#71 » by nbanflguy » Fri May 3, 2024 7:28 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:
nbanflguy wrote:
Ben-N1ce wrote:There are 30 of those jobs in the world...surely plenty of people that want to be head coaches turn that opportunity down...

Ludicrous take. Only someone who isn’t a competitor and never has been a competitor would write something like this. If I get the chance to coach a playoff team with two All-NBA players I’m going to do it every single time.

" I am such a tough competitor. Pay me to sit on the sideline in a suit and be Lebron's b**ch. Be head coach in name only.' You arent coaching two all nba players. You are there to be a dancing monkey. They will let you pretend and put the Wins and Losses on your stat sheet just to be nice. Lebron runs the show. Lebron runs the front office. You get 0% credit for any success and 100% fault for any time you dont win the championship. Step out of line and you "lose the locker room". Lebron starts to get media heat and you are fired
Slimjimzv
Junior
And1: 305

Post#72 » by Slimjimzv » Fri May 3, 2024 7:28 pm

What coach in their right mind would take that job? It's a revolving door.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,304

Post#73 » by KembaWalker » Fri May 3, 2024 7:30 pm

Slimjimzv wrote:What coach in their right mind would take that job? It's a revolving door.

A podcaster that can milk those 2 years for content for the next decade
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,684

Post#74 » by EmpireFalls » Fri May 3, 2024 7:32 pm

nbanflguy wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:
nbanflguy wrote:

" I am such a tough competitor. Pay me to sit on the sideline in a suit and be Lebron's b**ch. Be head coach in name only.' You arent coaching two all nba players. You are there to be a dancing monkey. They will let you pretend and put the Wins and Losses on your stat sheet just to be nice. Lebron runs the show. Lebron runs the front office. You get 0% credit for any success and 100% fault for any time you dont win the championship. Step out of line and you "lose the locker room". Lebron starts to get media heat and you are fired

lol what a joke take. You want to know what real NBA hell is? Try coaching the Hornets or one of the tanking teams. You get young players foisted upon you, draft picks acquired in exchange for your foundational players, you have guys who don’t care by December, you know you have no chance to make the playoffs let alone compete for a title.

On the Lakers you could realistically win playoff games and test your skills at the highest level. Ham even won a trophy (well, the IST, but still) and got to go toe to toe with Kerr and Malone in playoff series. Isn’t the entire point of coaching to go win? What are we doing here. That’s a far far far more appealing job than coaching the Blazers or Pistons or Hornets or whoever.

You clearly are beyond deluded and out of touch and consumed with LeBron derangement syndrome.
Slimjimzv
Junior
And1: 305

Post#75 » by Slimjimzv » Fri May 3, 2024 7:33 pm

KembaWalker wrote:
Slimjimzv wrote:What coach in their right mind would take that job? It's a revolving door.

A podcaster that can milk those 2 years for content for the next decade

I would be very interested in seeing Patrick Beverly or Draymond Green decide to coach the Lakers. I know that's not the podcasters you were referencing, but they're the first that came to my mind.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,852

Post#76 » by Pointgod » Fri May 3, 2024 7:38 pm

Dominator83 wrote:Put a fork in him

I was hoping for a Ham is cooked headline or Ham Fisted Firing but sadly disappointed
liquidswords
Pro Prospect
And1: 973

Post#77 » by liquidswords » Fri May 3, 2024 7:39 pm

Ladies and Gentlemen - the worst job in sports!
srhcan
Veteran
And1: 1,734

Post#78 » by srhcan » Fri May 3, 2024 7:40 pm

dockingsched wrote:
Read on Twitter

Glad to see it happen.

Whether you think he deserved all, most, or just some of the blame, hard to argue he was the best person for the job going forward.

Lakers should have beaten Nuggets rather convincingly like 4-1. Instead they lost and most of the blame should fall on the coach to not able to hold the leads
nbanflguy
Sophomore

Post#79 » by nbanflguy » Fri May 3, 2024 7:42 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:
nbanflguy wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:Ludicrous take. Only someone who isn’t a competitor and never has been a competitor would write something like this. If I get the chance to coach a playoff team with two All-NBA players I’m going to do it every single time.

lol what a joke take. You want to know what real NBA hell is? Try coaching the Hornets or one of the tanking teams. You get young players foisted upon you, draft picks acquired in exchange for your foundational players, you have guys who don’t care by December, you know you have no chance to make the playoffs let alone compete for a title.

On the Lakers you could realistically win playoff games and test your skills at the highest level. Ham even won a trophy (well, the IST, but still) and got to go toe to toe with Kerr and Malone in playoff series. Isn’t the entire point of coaching to go win? What are we doing here. That’s a far far far more appealing job than coaching the Blazers or Pistons or Hornets or whoever.

You clearly are beyond deluded and out of touch and consumed with LeBron derangement syndrome.

You sound like a dude who will get the new NCAA Football 25 video game and start a dynasty with Ohio State or Georgia. Testing your skills at the highest level would be coaching the hornets or one of those tanking teams. Actually trying to teach and develop young players. Getting these players to buy in. To play hard even when losing. Building a culture. Building a family. Trying to find diamond in the roughs who you can afford or who will actually agree to play for you. Turning that group from "hell" to a team that can compete. Thats coaching.......

Or you could be a real competitor and go stand on the sidelines with great court side seats and behind the scenes access as you watch sweet play in wins and early playoff exits for a couple years on a team that would be there weather you even existed or not.
dWadeOwnzYou
Rookie
And1: 577

Post#80 » by dWadeOwnzYou » Fri May 3, 2024 7:43 pm

Can't believe it. He brought them the IST trophy just this season.

Return to The General Board