Lakers fire Darvin Ham

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,557

Re: Lakers fire Darvin Ham 

Post#181 » by jkvonny » Sat May 4, 2024 3:56 am

Lakers will hire JJ Reddick.
doogie_hauser
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,322

Post#182 » by doogie_hauser » Sat May 4, 2024 4:23 am

I know he is getting a multi million dollar pay out, but does anyone else feel terribly sorry for Ham on a personal level ?

Maybe he was the wrong appointment, but the level of hostility and pressure he copped from Lakers fans (some.justified, many not) was brutal.

He probably had to go, but clearly is a fall guy for Rob Pelinka and his front office's incompetence, still living off the 2020 bubble championship.

How is Pelinka not held accountable for recent Lakers play off failures ?

If you look at his track record as GM since taking over from Magic Johnson, it does not make for healthy reading if you are a Lakers fan.

I mean even last year's draft was a howler, the Lakers had the opportunity to draft a legit stud in JJJ, Podziemski or Whitmore, but Pelinka went for a project player not NBA ready yet.

I am very confident saying the Lakers will not win another championship whilst Pelinka is GM.
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,312

Post#183 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Sat May 4, 2024 4:31 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
Amare_1_Knicks wrote:can someone explain JJ Redick to me? Why would he be on anyone’s list for a head coaching job? He hasn’t coached at any level, hasn’t worked in any front offices, wasn’t known as a master gamesman/strategist/floor general as a player. It’s all the more crazy that there are reports tying him to LAL - the hottest coaching seat in basketball.

The real question is why not Redick? Most head coaches are former players. He is more successful in his career than most and he's been around the game since retiring. Sure, he's an annoying blowhard who is an apologist for this era and its players and maybe he should get some experience first but he wouldn't be the first former player to be made head coach without experience. As to why he'd get the Lakers job, it's pretty obvious that he's blowing smoke up the right persons behind and that person that person is among the most powerful in the NBA and has almost always got what he wanted. If Lebron wants JJ he'll get him.

There’s a window here to try to maximize Lebron’s last few years and be in title contention. Is bringing in a rookie head coach the best move to accomplish that? I don’t think so.

As I listened to the broadcast tonight, I almost talked myself out of the point in my previous post. He’s articulate and analytical, and breaks things down very well. Will that translate directly to coaching? Perhaps. But there’s always a learning curve, and again — trying to get the most out of Lebron/AD — I’d venture to say he wouldn’t be the guy to do that.
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,568

Post#184 » by MavsDirk41 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:35 am

doogie_hauser wrote:
MavsDirk41 wrote:
doogie_hauser wrote:I get serious Steve Nash coaching vibes about JJ Reddick.

Lakers should make Ty Lue their number 1 priority.

Former championship winning player with them, knows the culture and heavy expectations of the franchise, won a chip without Lebron as coach of Cleveland (which is a remarkable and underrated achievement, Lebron's most worthy ring imo)

Lakers cannot afford to try another untested coach at NBA level imho

Sounds like Clippers are gonna lock Lue up with a big comtract.

Assuming that will happen, the Lakers should seriously consider Budenholzer.

Lebron and his team need an older, more experienced coach who is playoff savvy and has a chip on his resume.

The Bucks were underdogs in their finals series against the Suns yet pulled off an impressive championship triumph.

If the Lakers want to waste the last couple of seasons on an untried/glamour celeb style of coach in JJ Reddick, well so be it. But as I say, it has Brooklyn under Steve Nash vibes all over it.

My choice would be Bud….i agree sir
MagicMamba88
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,298

Post#185 » by MagicMamba88 » Sun May 5, 2024 2:09 am

Read on Twitter
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 7,033

Post#186 » by LakerLegend » Sun May 5, 2024 2:10 am

Ham is getting thrown under the bus.

Pelinka put the team together and we all know LeBron decides how the team plays.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Post#187 » by Mr B » Sun May 5, 2024 2:24 am

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=3KaI_3QT7XTTm5N8gt4yQg
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 356

Post#188 » by WentzerWuver » Sun May 5, 2024 11:23 pm

LakerLegend wrote:Ham is getting thrown under the bus.

Pelinka put the team together and we all know LeBron decides how the team plays.
Lol getting fired is not what that term means unless it applies to anyone getting fired. He is a lousy coach or didn't you get the memo?
jkvonny
Lead Assistant

Post#189 » by jkvonny » Sun May 5, 2024 11:32 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:

Lol getting fired is not what that term means unless it applies to anyone getting fired. He is a lousy coach or didn't you get the memo?

Yall are in good hands with JJ.....
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,172

Post#190 » by Lalouie » Sun May 5, 2024 11:36 pm

the only thing that matters are BAD coaches

everyone rlse is average and interchangeable. then theres a couple of elite coaches who make a 5win difference

ham was average and average coaches are rightfully replaced because change matters
Tony15
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,897

Post#191 » by Tony15 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:05 am

Anyone justifying this firing without acknowledging Pelinkas responsibility are deeply unserious....

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
Jables
Analyst
And1: 2,452

Post#192 » by Jables » Mon May 6, 2024 12:15 am

It doesn't really matter, it's like the Vogel thing where people acted like it was some outrage he got fired when the players always had all the power. Wow real impressive job with the Suns big 3! So either he gets no blame and he's irrelevant, or he gets the blame and what does that mean when he got brought in to do the same job with the Lakers and he was ... irrelevant. Oh I guess it means sometimes a coach is just irrelevant!

There's decent odds you coach the Lakers and get carried to a ring by a bunch of superstars that want to play in LA for the biggest team in the NBA, it just depends on the timing. The problem with that is everyone knows how little influence the coach has on the teams success.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,933

Post#193 » by dockingsched » Mon May 6, 2024 12:28 am

doogie_hauser wrote:I know he is getting a multi million dollar pay out, but does anyone else feel terribly sorry for Ham on a personal level ?

Maybe he was the wrong appointment, but the level of hostility and pressure he copped from Lakers fans (some.justified, many not) was brutal.

He probably had to go, but clearly is a fall guy for Rob Pelinka and his front office's incompetence, still living off the 2020 bubble championship.

How is Pelinka not held accountable for recent Lakers play off failures ?

If you look at his track record as GM since taking over from Magic Johnson, it does not make for healthy reading if you are a Lakers fan.

I mean even last year's draft was a howler, the Lakers had the opportunity to draft a legit stud in JJJ, Podziemski or Whitmore, but Pelinka went for a project player not NBA ready yet.

I am very confident saying the Lakers will not win another championship whilst Pelinka is GM.

I don’t feel sorry for Ham for one main reason that is separate from his Xs and Os, it’s that not once did he take any accountability or take any blame for anything. Even if he didn’t think he should’ve been the one to blame, good leaders put the blame on themselves to take the heat off others.

He was always in “cover your ass” mode deflecting and protecting himself and it’s hard to feel sorry for a leader that does that.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,027

Post#194 » by NyKnicks1714 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:53 am

Tony15 wrote:Anyone justifying this firing without acknowledging Pelinkas responsibility are deeply unserious....

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Everyone keeps saying this but he's gotten tons of (rightful) criticism. He's just not going anywhere. It's about as likely as Jeanie firing herself.
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,305

Post#195 » by Tracymcgoaty » Mon May 6, 2024 12:53 am

People who try to make excuses for Ham clearly didn't watch the team play. The fact that it took like 1/3 of the season for Ham to go with the lineup that was the most effective last season tells you everything there is. Or the all guard lineups. Or him never taking a timeout when teams go on runs. I cant tell you how many times i've shouted at the TV screaming SPO WOULD MAKE A TIME OUT RIGHT NOW. How many games did this team lose because of a quarter? Ham let teams go on a 35-0 run before he takes a time out.

Promised Christie a bigger role only to give all his minutes to Spencer **** Dimwiddie who was ASS ever since he arrived. COULD HAVE USED CHRISTIE AGAINST DENVER YOU BUM. Christie was clearly our best guard defender on the team. Damn near the best perimeter defender on the team period alongside Vando. This ties back to Ham loving his all guard no defense lineups.

Ham sucks. Are there any viable options out there to make this team better coached? Hell no all the good proved coaches are taken. We should have went after Udoka.

I have no idea who the **** coach is going to be. But if it's going to be some rookie coach then rebuild the **** team because unless they are a **** savant it ain't going to work. I'd rather trade the big names for as many picks as i can and go full rebuild developing a rookie coach.

If we get Lue fine. The rumors of Jason Kidd...Dallas fans hating on him tells me everything.
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 356

Post#196 » by WentzerWuver » Mon May 6, 2024 1:28 am

jkvonny wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:

I am not in favor of JJ or anyone with no coaching experience at ANY level whatsoever to become HC of the biggest ego centered roster for the longest storied franchise in the league?!?

To put this into perspective, it's no difference than hiring a poster here who NEVER played basketball at any level other than watching a lot of basketball and making bias opinionated comments on here to become a starter for the Lakers.

That's how stupid it will be by hiring JJ. I want Ty Lue who served 5 years as assistant as well as top assistant before he got his first HC job, so he paid his dues, unlike a pod caster criticizing Ham like most here do Lol
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,202

Post#197 » by Wallace_Wallace » Mon May 6, 2024 1:39 am

LeBron could hire himself as player coach, but then he can’t blame himself if the Lakers don’t win.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,364

Post#198 » by MadDogSHWA » Mon May 6, 2024 1:40 am

bisme37 wrote:I still remember when he was a player and when he dunked they said he served up a ham slamwich.

Pretty sure he also got tested for steroids during a half-time of a game.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
jkvonny
Lead Assistant

Post#199 » by jkvonny » Mon May 6, 2024 1:59 am

WentzerWuver wrote:
jkvonny wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:Lol getting fired is not what that term means unless it applies to anyone getting fired. He is a lousy coach or didn't you get the memo?

I am not in favor of JJ or anyone with no coaching experience at ANY level whatsoever to become HC of the biggest ego centered roster for the longest storied franchise in the league?!?

To put this into perspective, it's no difference than hiring a poster here who NEVER played basketball at any level other than watching a lot of basketball and making bias opinionated comments on here to become a starter for the Lakers.

That's how stupid it will be by hiring JJ. I want Ty Lue who served 5 years as assistant as well as top assistant before he got his first HC job, so he paid his dues, unlike a pod caster criticizing Ham like most here do Lol

JJ would be a great fit for the Lakers.

All is well....
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,161

Post#200 » by HMFFL » Mon May 6, 2024 2:09 am

infinite11285 wrote:
HMFFL wrote:
Effigy wrote:All their problems are solved now.
It's a continuous cycle with Lebron James. He cannot help himself.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Ham could barely manage timeouts. Christian Woods was his 6th for several months. What're we talking about here?
Doesn't matter.
Lebron endorsed him being the head coach and he's quickly done once he loses. The Lakers have fired their entire coaching staff. The franchise continues to look pathetic and unprofessional.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Return to The General Board