Preserving The Inside: On The Future Of TNT's NBA Rights

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,112

Preserving The Inside: On The Future Of TNT's NBA Rights 

Post#1 » by Wammy Giveaway » Fri May 3, 2024 7:16 pm

Read on Twitter

With a "game-time decision" looming for Turner, home of its award-winning sports broadcast Inside The NBA, it is only a matter of time before the network completely loses the NBA rights to NBC. On the bright side, we get back Josh Tesh's legendary opening piece "Roundball Rock" and "Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-basketball!" (I should write some actual lyrics to that...)

Ernie Johnson will stay at Turner. Charles Barkley will depart from TNT. But what of Warner Bros. and its controversially questionable moves ever since their merger with Discovery in 2022. We have seen from this company that they purge content for the sake of tax write-offs. I have a feeling they'll do the same for "Inside The NBA". Videos are still up on their official YouTube account as of this post, but there may come a time when those videos will be removed.

My question to you is this: should their videos be preserved? Don't know if they're eligible for the Wayback Machine's Archive, but there's just too much good stuff from them to be lost to time. I still lament the day when they removed a tiny portion from an EJ's Stat-O-The-Night segment of Kenny "The Jet" Smith making fun of Barkley's shown buttocks during his visit to a wax salon, which I attribute to an oversight by the camera guys. Still it was a funny bit. (Shaq goes, "May I [censored] you a question?" before going off the air, and Kenny's "The slot machine is open!" boast) But seriously, we will miss stuff like Neat-O Stat, Gone Fishin, the Halftime Breaks, and all the funny shenanigans that go on Studio J, especially their chemistry and camaraderie.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,414

Re: Preserving The Inside: On The Future Of TNT's NBA Rights 

Post#2 » by itrsteve » Fri May 3, 2024 7:20 pm

Man that would be an absolute bummer. I had no idea it was at risk.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,271

Post#3 » by azcatz11 » Fri May 3, 2024 7:24 pm

Ernie is late 60's. Maybe he's thinking this is a good time to exit. I just pray to god that mouth breather lefkoe doesn't get it...because I will never watch again
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,474

Post#4 » by Hornet Mania » Fri May 3, 2024 7:31 pm

It's unfortunate we're likely losing WB (TNT) and not Disney (ABC/ESPN).

I'd love to trade ABC/ESPN for NBC and keep TNT untouched. The Disney networks NBA coverage has always been incredibly poor, at least imo, compared to their peers.
C3H6N6O6
Analyst
And1: 3,910

Post#5 » by C3H6N6O6 » Fri May 3, 2024 7:34 pm

I love the show but I would like someone in the role of Kenny who actually knows about Basketball to balance out Barkley and Shaq who clearly know nothing about today's NBA. It has to be a former player because Shaq and Chuck will just talk over anyone else.

It has become a great show for TNT but I'd argue that Inside The NBA doesn't add any fans to the NBA. This would be fine if the NBA was in bad shape but it is the most talented it has ever been.
TwitterFingers
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,487

Post#6 » by TwitterFingers » Fri May 3, 2024 7:44 pm

To be honest I won’t really care. I don’t listen to the talking heads. I just watch the game.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,867

Post#7 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 3, 2024 8:06 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:It's unfortunate we're likely losing WB (TNT) and not Disney (ABC/ESPN).

I'd love to trade ABC/ESPN for NBC and keep TNT untouched. The Disney networks NBA coverage has always been incredibly poor, at least imo, compared to their peers.

You're being nice to Disney!
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,867

Post#8 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 3, 2024 8:08 pm

C3H6N6O6 wrote:I love the show but I would like someone in the role of Kenny who actually knows about Basketball to balance out Barkley and Shaq who clearly know nothing about today's NBA. It has to be a former player because Shaq and Chuck will just talk over anyone else.

It has become a great show for TNT but I'd argue that Inside The NBA doesn't add any fans to the NBA. This would be fine if the NBA was in bad shape but it is the most talented it has ever been.

I think Kenny knows a LOT more than he's allowed to say. The problem has always been Shaq. The show was 10x better before him. Kenny and EJ could talk sports while Chuck made great jokes. Then Shaq came....god it's horrible.
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 45,118

Post#9 » by DaGawd » Fri May 3, 2024 8:12 pm

if i don’t have to listen to anymore shaq analysis it’ll be a good thing
BaF
Washington Wizards
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,521

Post#10 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 3, 2024 8:17 pm

We will never see a group like this again on tv. They have so many clips on YT of that show its amazing how long they have kept us laughing.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,638

Post#11 » by ropjhk » Fri May 3, 2024 8:26 pm

Churros

This moment must be saved
NBA4Lyfe
Veteran
And1: 1,652

Post#12 » by NBA4Lyfe » Fri May 3, 2024 8:27 pm

it all started going downhill once they brought on shaq.. and then they bring in a disgrace to the league in draymond green

the original 3 is was why we watched.. barkley was the comedic relief, kenny was the x's and o's guy and ernie was the smug moderater that everybody enjoyed clowning

shaq started the nasty trend of bullying nba players who did nothing to him. I remmember the nasty javale mcgee beef that made the league look bad. Then he trashes rudy gobert for no reason, and of course the labasting of james harden. Bullies turn viewers off
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,865

Post#13 » by Chuck Everett » Fri May 3, 2024 8:42 pm

All good things come to an end. If it gets more NBA games on OTA networks, so be it.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,001

Post#14 » by Curmudgeon » Fri May 3, 2024 9:32 pm

I'd love to see every game streamed on Amazon or Netflix. But that would be the end of NBA League Pass unless it also migrated to one of those services.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,043

Post#15 » by Wingy » Fri May 3, 2024 9:53 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:I'd love to see every game streamed on Amazon or Netflix. But that would be the end of NBA League Pass unless it also migrated to one of those services.

Why couldn’t they just do the exact same thing as now where the streaming games (I.e. - the ABC/ESPN/TNT games) are only available on League Pass 3 hours after the broadcast.

The bummer in this for me would be losing not just the Inside crew, but also TNT Overtime. I miss the instant replays, but it’s actually nice not having to listen to some half ass commentator…and not have to pay for cable, YouTube, Sling, etc.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 2,094

Post#16 » by Bobbymcgee » Fri May 3, 2024 10:06 pm

Bring back the NBA on NBC!

NBA on TNT has been terrible. Really hoping this is the end.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,025

Post#17 » by sp6r=underrated » Fri May 3, 2024 11:09 pm

NBA4Lyfe wrote:it all started going downhill once they brought on shaq.. and then they bring in a disgrace to the league in draymond green

the original 3 is was why we watched.. barkley was the comedic relief, kenny was the x's and o's guy and ernie was the smug moderater that everybody enjoyed clowning

shaq started the nasty trend of bullying nba players who did nothing to him. I remmember the nasty javale mcgee beef that made the league look bad. Then he trashes rudy gobert for no reason, and of course the labasting of james harden. Bullies turn viewers off

Shaq lowered the quality of the program. The show was always absurd but pre-Shaq had a joyfol quality. I remember Barkley kissing a donkey's ass after Yao got his first 20 ppg. Show is still good but it got worse because it lost a lot with Shaq.
LeBronSpaghetti
Junior
And1: 773

Post#18 » by LeBronSpaghetti » Fri May 3, 2024 11:24 pm

Barkley and Ernie carry the other two

Return to The General Board