Caitlin Clark first game about to start

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

picc
RealGM
And1: 18,316

Re: Caitlin Clark first game about to start 

Post#21 » by picc » Sat May 4, 2024 12:49 am

sikma42 wrote:
picc wrote:Tried to tune in. They want me to pay for WNBA league pass.

I like CC, but not that much.

This game is free. Just download the app n u can cast it. Really good game so far.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Yeah I tried to watch on my TV and it didn't work but the link in the OP does.

Nice to see her cooking already.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,472

Post#22 » by D.Brasco » Sat May 4, 2024 12:50 am

Handlez wrote:She cooking.

Read on Twitter
advent11
Junior
And1: 378

Post#23 » by advent11 » Sat May 4, 2024 12:53 am

JustBuzzin wrote:The fact that she is playing her 1st game and nobody had mentioned it on todays debate shows just shows you she is not going to make the WNBA more popular. Good she got her money, but the hype is probably over.

You have RealGMers watching her over a playoff game tho.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,017

Post#24 » by Texas Chuck » Sat May 4, 2024 12:54 am

BigGargamel really needs us to know how little he likes women's basketball. It's weird. It's almost like he's the propaganda machine here.

ESPN marketing a product they carry is you know pretty standard.

Wild the insecurity some people have. Like things I don't care at all about but other people do I don't feel the need to post a dozen times about.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
pr0wler
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,276

Post#25 » by pr0wler » Sat May 4, 2024 12:54 am

famicommander wrote:Preseason?

We talkin' about practice?

Dat "practice" meme tho lol.

Maybe my sense of humour is too lax, but I still find it funny when used even if it was said like 20 years ago lmao
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,780

Post#26 » by jkvonny » Sat May 4, 2024 12:55 am

Just seen on line that she's scored 14 points, multiple 3s already.

Not bad.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,740

Post#27 » by JustBuzzin » Sat May 4, 2024 12:57 am

The league itself is poor.

They need all the help they can get. These women don't even stay in the best hotels on the road. That should tell you all you need to know.
picc
RealGM

Post#28 » by picc » Sat May 4, 2024 1:04 am

D.Brasco wrote:
Handlez wrote:She cooking.

Read on Twitter

Fry them up CC. Like that she has that kind of greenlight already.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,066

Post#29 » by NyKnicks1714 » Sat May 4, 2024 1:06 am

BigGargamel wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote:https://leaguepass.wnba.com/live/265275

Hopefully its available on the W's site for all regions. Enjoy.

LOL

ESPN really dug their claws into some of you huh? Imagine watching WNBA preseason over the NBA playoffs, because the media made you obsessed with Caitlin Clark..

Or you know, maybe they just enjoy watching Caitlin Clark. But I love how people simply doing something you wouldn't do must be a result of ESPN's brainwashing.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,073

Post#30 » by Wingy » Sat May 4, 2024 1:07 am

BigGargamel wrote:
og15 wrote:
BigGargamel wrote:
It's the middle of NBA Playoff season and there are three Clark articles on the front page of ESPN, including a super important piece about her wearing a chain during her photo shoot. Deny it all you want, but the ESPN propaganda machine is in full force and most people fall for it.

It's marketing, what's the problem? Lol

Nobody has cared about the WNBA preseason in the history of that league but now we're supposed to? All because ESPN just wouldn't stop until they made everyone care. People won't admit it, but they know it's true. The same people that watched their first ever Colorado Buffalo game last fall. But hey, don't let me stop you. Enjoy. :lol:

BTW, the number of Clark mentions on ESPN.com is up to four now.

Imagine being so invested against something you’d write as many posts as you have on the first page alone. You won’t admit it, but you know it’s true.

Also imagine. What if…

Many people had technologies, DVRs, streams where you can watch from beginning, streams where you could pause, the ability to watch multiple devices…

What if?!?

That way, a person could watch the NBA playoffs, the NHL playoffs, and CC because they can enjoy as many sports as they can get?
picc
RealGM

Post#31 » by picc » Sat May 4, 2024 1:10 am

Wingy wrote:Also imagine. What if…

Many people had technologies, DVRs, streams where you can watch from beginning, streams where you could pause, the ability to watch multiple devices…

What if?!?

That way, a person could watch the NBA playoffs, the NHL playoffs, and CC because they can enjoy as many sports as they can get?

The hell kind of witchcraft is this?
reddyplayerone
Junior
And1: 373

Post#32 » by reddyplayerone » Sat May 4, 2024 1:11 am

BigGargamel wrote:
og15 wrote:
BigGargamel wrote:
It's the middle of NBA Playoff season and there are three Clark articles on the front page of ESPN, including a super important piece about her wearing a chain during her photo shoot. Deny it all you want, but the ESPN propaganda machine is in full force and most people fall for it.

Nobody has cared about the WNBA preseason in the history of that league but now we're supposed to? All because ESPN just wouldn't stop until they made everyone care. People won't admit it, but they know it's true. The same people that watched their first ever Colorado Buffalo game last fall. But hey, don't let me stop you. Enjoy. :lol:

I love when people get on the internet and say loudly and repeatedly they really don't know how marketing or media work at all.

ESPN has a ton of Caitlin content up right now because they are making an educated guess that there is an audience who wants it, NOT because they're committed or invested in building that audience up. They chase you, not the other way around.

And yeah you should let people enjoy things especially when it doesn't effect you at all lol
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,413

Post#33 » by azcatz11 » Sat May 4, 2024 1:15 am

JustBuzzin wrote:

The league itself is poor.

They need all the help they can get. These women don't even stay in the best hotels on the road. That should tell you all you need to know.

We were talking about this earlier. They start pre season only a week after the draft. Feels rushed.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,510

Post#34 » by og15 » Sat May 4, 2024 1:15 am

BigGargamel wrote:
og15 wrote:
BigGargamel wrote:

Yea, that's marketing, ESPN found a player to market because people were and have been interested and they are doing their job to promote and try to maintain/generate interest.

It's not like we thought entertainment media did stuff accidentally, so I don't get your complaint. Yea, it's planned, and they are hoping it works. Are we supposed to be mad or outraged about marketing as if we didn't know it was part of the whole thing?

Yes, the time to have all these articles up is exactly when she his playing her first pro game, even if it is pre-season, and yes, you should remind people that the game is happening. If they didn't, then they are sucking at their job.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,072

Post#35 » by dockingsched » Sat May 4, 2024 1:20 am

reddyplayerone wrote:
BigGargamel wrote:
og15 wrote:It's marketing, what's the problem? Lol

I love when people get on the internet and say loudly and repeatedly they really don't know how marketing or media work at all.

ESPN has a ton of Caitlin content up right now because they are making an educated guess that there is an audience who wants it, NOT because they're committed or invested in building that audience up. They chase you, not the other way around.

And yeah you should let people enjoy things especially when it doesn't effect you at all lol

Yup. It’s almost like they saw these crazy tv ratings for the womens ncaa and made a business decision that there’s a demand for content.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
picc
RealGM

Post#36 » by picc » Sat May 4, 2024 1:24 am

Magic game on commercial. Time to tune into the Fever game and piss Gargamel off lmao
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,966

Post#37 » by jc23 » Sat May 4, 2024 1:25 am

Thanks op! wish i knew this was free an hour ago.
Be curious, Not judgmental
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,846

Post#38 » by Clav » Sat May 4, 2024 1:34 am

dockingsched wrote:
reddyplayerone wrote:
BigGargamel wrote:

Yup. It’s almost like they saw these crazy tv ratings for the womens ncaa and made a business decision that there’s a demand for content.

Especially for ESPN... A major media conglomerate like Disney (which owns a majority of ESPN) has various ways to get ideas into the airspace. It's not just ESPN, they use Local ABC affiliates and a wide-range of advertising and publicity venues to multi-layer market.

Gargamel's point about buying into the media machine - it is valid - but it goes two ways. 1st it is at its root, the celebrity of Clark is notable. She's a hot item right now and these companies know it. As new and shiny in the public eye, her fame gets views because interest has already been collectively piqued.

2nd, Warner/TNT and Paramount/CBS also have a role to play in how College Basketball is broadcast and fed into the exact same celebrity to generate interest in their broadcast. When three massive (and that's not the only 3) companies are pushing the same or similar messages, they battle to get ALL the eyes on their subject du-jour. So in Summary, ESPN is doing what they should be doing as a business, though they did have a role to play in building that foundation. Truly it is symbiotic. Clark receives increased fame and notoriety but also has a parasite pulling at her for performance, and public appeal.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,966

Post#39 » by jc23 » Sat May 4, 2024 1:35 am

Get that marketing bs outta here; Caitlin captivated the people and then ESPN noticed and capitalized on Caitlin. Yes marketing can make you aware of but only something of quality and value will keep you coming back.
Be curious, Not judgmental
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,555

Post#40 » by CIN-C-STAR » Sat May 4, 2024 1:52 am

I remember when I got shouted down for starting an "OT" thread about Caitlin Clark two years ago, because it "wasn't relevant" enough for the machismo crowd in here.
Now we have RealGMers watching her over the NBA playoffs lol. Love to see it :nod:
Hoop heads should be able to appreciate greatness in all its forms.
I don't care what all the haters including former WNBA legends said, Clark will be a top-10 player in the league by the end of her rookie season. Book it. Game recognizes game. She's a lot more than just a deep 3-point shooter.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to The General Board