Caitlin Clark first game about to start

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,080

Re: Caitlin Clark first game about to start 

Post#81 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat May 4, 2024 4:07 am

jc23 wrote:
sikma42 wrote:
eyriq wrote:Looks like she balled out

She played well for a first game,m. She hit some tough shots but played pretty bad defense (expected for a rookie), make some bad reads and passes (see turnovers) and really wasn’t effective as a point guard. The team looked much better when Wheeler had the ball and ran the show.

Also, Boston got almost zero opportunities in this offense. Could just be bc it’s a preseason game.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

From the little i seen Boston didnt impress me much. I liked Wheeler. One of the reasons Iowa was so potent is they knew when to cut; going to take some time to develop chemistry.

there's definitely timing and chemistry issues. Clark will be running point a lot and turnovers will decrease as she and her teammates gel. As for defense, she'll likely always get cooked. I think it's a conditioning thing. She gets lazy on that end because the load on offense has been too much. I wouldn't hold my breath that she's ever an above average defender sadly.
5IVE5TAR5
Ballboy
And1: 80

Post#82 » by 5IVE5TAR5 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:37 am

we talkin' bout practice?
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,970

Post#83 » by jc23 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:40 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
jc23 wrote:
sikma42 wrote:She played well for a first game,m. She hit some tough shots but played pretty bad defense (expected for a rookie), make some bad reads and passes (see turnovers) and really wasn’t effective as a point guard. The team looked much better when Wheeler had the ball and ran the show.

Also, Boston got almost zero opportunities in this offense. Could just be bc it’s a preseason game.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

From the little i seen Boston didnt impress me much. I liked Wheeler. One of the reasons Iowa was so potent is they knew when to cut; going to take some time to develop chemistry.

there's definitely timing and chemistry issues. Clark will be running point a lot and turnovers will decrease as she and her teammates gel. As for defense, she'll likely always get cooked. I think it's a conditioning thing. She gets lazy on that end because the load on offense has been too much. I wouldn't hold my breath that she's ever an above average defender sadly.

Id like to see her in more spot up opportunities but i think she is going to get the curry treatment. Her defender will be told to never help off her.
Be curious, Not judgmental
Rishkar
Junior
And1: 329

Post#84 » by Rishkar » Sat May 4, 2024 5:01 am

I didn't watch the full game, but I watched the 10 minute recap. First time seeing Clark play, and I'm starting to understand the hype a little. Pleasantly surprised at how entertained I was by WNBA highlights
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,210

Post#85 » by Lalouie » Sat May 4, 2024 5:05 am

Tor_Raps wrote:I'll join the bandwagon if she starts killing the wnba but no way am I watching the wnba over nba playoffs.

the wnba has a low entry point. almost if not ALL college starshave a big impact.

caitlin will follow the same
boogiezen
Senior
And1: 428

Post#86 » by boogiezen » Sat May 4, 2024 5:34 am

Clark had a great debut for a pre-season game. +6 in the game. When she sat down because of foul trouble (5 fouls in the game), didn't play almost the entire 3rd quarter Indiana really struggled which is crazy because she's only a rookie to have this kind of impact. Her and Boston will be great but it will need more games to get that chemistry going.
Maybe it's better not to be the best. Then you can lose and it's OK. - Searching for Bobby Fischer (1993)
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,760

Post#87 » by Domejandro » Sat May 4, 2024 5:36 am

BigGargamel wrote:
Funcrusher wrote:
BigGargamel wrote:
LOL

ESPN really dug their claws into some of you huh? Imagine watching WNBA preseason over the NBA playoffs, because the media made you obsessed with Caitlin Clark..

:roll:

It's the middle of NBA Playoff season and there are three Clark articles on the front page of ESPN, including a super important piece about her wearing a chain during her photo shoot. Deny it all you want, but the ESPN propaganda machine is in full force and most people fall for it.

"Propaganda machine"

Caitlin Clark is one of the biggest names in sports right now, of course ESPN is going to actively cover her. That is what people click on, covering her is a huge part of their job!
Deshaun Taden
Junior
And1: 448

Post#88 » by Deshaun Taden » Sat May 4, 2024 5:46 am

Personally I tend not to care about regular season and forget preseason. But I hope momentum continues to build and I can watch some great WNBA playoff action. Hopefully they are looking to lengthen the series too, I'd like to see best of 7 series.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,472

Post#89 » by D.Brasco » Sat May 4, 2024 5:10 pm

Domejandro wrote:
BigGargamel wrote:
Funcrusher wrote: :roll:

It's the middle of NBA Playoff season and there are three Clark articles on the front page of ESPN, including a super important piece about her wearing a chain during her photo shoot. Deny it all you want, but the ESPN propaganda machine is in full force and most people fall for it.

"Propaganda machine"

Caitlin Clark is one of the biggest names in sports right now, of course ESPN is going to actively cover her. That is what people click on, covering her is a huge part of their job!

Yes, they put her in the headlines because her name/game generates attention. They are not featuring her for charity she's a money maker for them. The WNBA never had someone like this before and it couldn't have been artificially created even if they tried.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,971

Post#90 » by Patches Perry » Sat May 4, 2024 5:24 pm

SportsGuru08 wrote::noway:
infinite11285 wrote::noway:
SportsGuru08 wrote:
Simp alert.

Before I ban you for trolling and baiting, please explain.

You think it makes a difference because a woman is bouncing the ball? Your VPN won’t make a difference either.

Bro, even women don't like the WNBA. They find it boring. But I guess they all just suffer from "internalized misawguhnee", right?

Besides, it's common wisdom that if anyone enjoys tearing down women and preventing them from succeeding, it's other women. Indeed all of the hype backlash has been from other women.

;pp=ygUWY2FpdGxpbiBjbGFyayBqZWFsb3VzeQ%3D%3D

The sentiment from some of these WNBA players is really not that different than what you see from some old NBA players. Basketball players are competitive and think they're better than other players, and don't want to dole out credit unless they feel like they themselves are getting appropriate credit. It's also true than many old NBA and WNBA players are supportive of new great players coming up.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,971

Post#91 » by Patches Perry » Sat May 4, 2024 5:26 pm

Clark is bringing a lot of eyes to the game and that's awesome. As American basketball fans, we should support and be invested in the success of American basketball leagues.
Enso
General Manager
And1: 23,993

Post#92 » by Enso » Sat May 4, 2024 6:04 pm

Shouldn’t this be in the wnba section

Return to The General Board