Do you guys still think that Jason Kidd is a bad coach?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

DLoMor
Junior
And1: 642

Do you guys still think that Jason Kidd is a bad coach? 

Post#1 » by DLoMor » Sat May 4, 2024 3:55 am

Coached his ass off this series and helped the Mavericks win even when Luka wasn’t too healthy. Give credit where it is due.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,449

Re: Do you guys still think that Jason Kidd is a bad coach? 

Post#2 » by BigGargamel » Sat May 4, 2024 4:02 am

DLoMor wrote:Coached his ass off this series and helped the Mavericks win even when Luka wasn’t too healthy. Give credit where it is due.

Another low quality thread started by DLoMor. What exactly did he do that was so great? I'll hang up and listen. Thanks.
DLoMor
Junior
And1: 642

Post#3 » by DLoMor » Sat May 4, 2024 4:10 am

BigGargamel wrote:
DLoMor wrote:Coached his ass off this series and helped the Mavericks win even when Luka wasn’t too healthy. Give credit where it is due.

Another low quality thread started by DLoMor. What exactly did he do that was so great? I'll hang up and listen. Thanks.

What exactly did Ty Lue do that was so great this series? I’ll hang up and listen. Thanks.
QPR
Veteran
And1: 3,900

Post#4 » by QPR » Sat May 4, 2024 4:12 am

It depends on how Luka played and where he is in the MVP standings
Petergrifindor
Rookie
And1: 1,505

Post#5 » by Petergrifindor » Sat May 4, 2024 4:12 am

Oh yes.

He is terrible.
doogie_hauser
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,322

Post#6 » by doogie_hauser » Sat May 4, 2024 4:12 am

I'll reserve judgement until after the OKC series.

Talent and maturity wise, I expect Dallas to win it.
Luka is in his prime. Kyrie is back to his best form since around 2016 or so (and keeping out of trouble) and they have some solid bench and role players now.

His overreliance/faith in Tim Fartaway Jnr has always been a mystery to me (and probably Mavs fans)

Beating up a banged up/aging Clippers outfit is one thing, it's the challenge of a young, super talented team in OKC is where Kidd's acumen as coach will be tested and judged (least for me)
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,413

Post#7 » by Black Jack » Sat May 4, 2024 4:14 am

J Kidd is from the Bay we always give Tim Hardaways love 8-)
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,740

Post#8 » by Harry Garris » Sat May 4, 2024 4:16 am

Not in a vacuum, but when compared to the elite level of NBA coaching yeah he falls short.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,051

Post#9 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat May 4, 2024 4:22 am

it doesn't take much to beat a Clippers team without Kawhi. He'll deserve some credit if he's able to win a championship with this group, well, as much credit as anyone can get for winning in a rigged league anyway.
Doranku
Analyst
And1: 6,083

Post#10 » by Doranku » Sat May 4, 2024 4:25 am

He literally watched a 13 point lead get cut to zero without calling a single timeout earlier tonight. In a close-out game. At home. He is clueless.
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 31,027

Post#11 » by Sofia » Sat May 4, 2024 4:28 am

lol. There were posters saying he should be fired mid series after game 4.
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
Archerbro
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,248

Post#12 » by Archerbro » Sat May 4, 2024 4:28 am

Not sure I'd say bad, but definitely not elite at least from what I've seen.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,408

Post#13 » by ChipotleWest » Sat May 4, 2024 4:31 am

He still cost us Game 4 with his decision to play Maxi the entire 4th as the only rim protector and Harden exploited, I will never change my mind about that.

But I do love how the entire team has bought into defense. I don't know how much that's him or just the team deciding to do it but he's the coach he deserves credit.
"The best ability is availability"

Not if the player sucks a**.
dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,302

Post#14 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:32 am

Doranku wrote:He literally watched a 13 point lead get cut to zero without calling a single timeout earlier tonight. In a close-out game. At home. He is clueless.

And they won by 13. Not arguing that he is a great coach, but wasn't Phil Jackson famous for doing this? And he got credit for doing it, not calling a timeout for each adversity.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by ChipotleWest » Sat May 4, 2024 4:33 am

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
Doranku wrote:He literally watched a 13 point lead get cut to zero without calling a single timeout earlier tonight. In a close-out game. At home. He is clueless.

And they won by 13. Not arguing that he is a great coach, but wasn't Phil Jackson famous for doing this? And he got credit for doing it, not calling a timeout for each adversity.

How much was that because of the coach vs. just having Luka Doncic and Kyrie Irving at the end? I think an NBA coach can cost a team a lot easier than be the reason they're great.

ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by ChipotleWest » Sat May 4, 2024 4:35 am

DLoMor wrote:
BigGargamel wrote:

What exactly did Ty Lue do that was so great this series? I’ll hang up and listen. Thanks.

Should Spo get fired because the Heat lost in 5 to Boston without Butler? Clippers didn't have a healthy Kawhi, just like Bucks didn't have Giannis. They're all visiting Cancun.

dirkdiggler4177
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,302

Post#17 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:35 am

ChipotleWest wrote:He still cost us Game 4 with his decision to play Maxi the entire 4th as the only rim protector and Harden exploited, I will never change my mind about that.

But I do love how the entire team has bought into defense. I don't know how much that's him or just the team deciding to do it but he's the coach he deserves credit.

I don't think having Lively or Gafford in the game instead of Kleber would have made a difference. The problem was that Luka guarded him and Harden went past him every time. If the shot-blocker closes to hard on Harden there is the lob pass to Zubac, if not, it is a lay-up. The exact same play happened with Lively in today's game and he played exactly the same way as Kleber.

Kidd cant make Luka move his feet for him.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by ChipotleWest » Sat May 4, 2024 4:36 am

dirkdiggler4177 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:He still cost us Game 4 with his decision to play Maxi the entire 4th as the only rim protector and Harden exploited, I will never change my mind about that.

I don't think having Lively or Gafford in the game instead of Kleber would have made a difference. The problem was that Luka guarded him and Harden went past him every time. If the shot-blocker closes to hard on Harden there is the lob pass to Zubac, if not, it is a lay-up. The exact same play happened with Lively in today's game and he played exactly the same way as Kleber.

Kidd cant make Luka move his feet for him.

0 floaters outside of that quarter proves otherwise. Harden scored the most points he'd ever scored in a quarter that quarter.

There is no way people could have watched that quarter and the rest of the series and think Maxi provides the same rim protection as Lively. It's just impossible.

Rim protector is the last line of defense after a player gets in the paint. Maxi provided no resistance.

iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,710

Post#19 » by iLLmatic860 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:37 am

Greek said he helped his development

Brun started his breakout under kidd

Kyrie and luka just advanced i think it’s fair to say hes one of those coaches who can can help coexist stars together

Hes not as bad of a coach as hes potrayed to be
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,568

Post#20 » by MavsDirk41 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:39 am

I dont think he is a great coach but the Mavs have a top 3 player in the league, an allstar caliber sidekick for Luka, and great depth since the trades they made at the deadline. Succes is due more to talent than coaching.

Return to The General Board