2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks (DAL WINS 4-2)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins and goes to the WCFs?

Thunder in 4
3%
Thunder in 5
9%
Thunder in 6
21%
Thunder in 7
12%
Mavericks in 4
1%
Mavericks in 5
4%
Mavericks in 6
38%
Mavericks in 7
10%

Total votes: 317

Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,797

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks 

Post#101 » by Swish1906 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:44 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
shi-woo wrote:Mavs have the vet advantage, and the 2 est players in the series (yeah that's right, I said it), so it's hard to pick against them. I'm going Mavs in 6 but wouldn't be surprised if the inhuries caught up with them and iit was Thunder in 6.

I think it's impossible to guard Kyrie and Luka, and think Dallas role players will play better against a team with less size. Zubac got a lot of gimme points in that series, and we didn;t see much from their bigs in that series. I think the role players are more effective against OKC, and Chet is going to play a smart game. Luka and Kyrie can bait him into some easy fouls.

If the game goes half court, you obviously have to favor the team with Dal and Kyrie. IF the tempo increases, you favor OKC, but not by much. Should be interesting to see how this one plays out

OKC the much better half court team. https://cleaningtheglass.com/stats/league/context?season=2023&seasontype=regseason&start=10/1/2023&end=10/15/2024#tab-offense_halfcourt_putbacks

But your tenuous connection to reality already came up in your first sentence.

For this series it would be nice if you just could stop insulting people who have a different opinion. Specially as mod. You already did it in the MVP thread.

The reality is that i wouldnt be surprised when the majority of people would choose Kyrie over SGA if the question is "Who do you want on your team for the next playoff series". And not who is the better player or who do you want on your team for next season.
Astaluego
Sophomore
And1: 122

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: West Semifinals: #1 Oklahoma City Thunder vs #5 Dallas Mavericks 

Post#102 » by Astaluego » Sat May 4, 2024 4:46 pm

GeorgeSears wrote:Luka finished the first round hobbled. Still, I like Mavs in 6.

He looked worse at the beginning of the series than at the end... is it certain that he has a sprained knee? From the way Kidd handled it and the way he looked... it would seem like he had a bad blow or something like that... I want That is to say, they did not save him from playing a single minute
Old Mike Lorenzo
BmanInBigD
Bench Warmer
And1: 600

Post#103 » by BmanInBigD » Sat May 4, 2024 4:48 pm

I got Mavs in 6 or 7, I just think they've been better down the stretch and have the best player. But this is only if Luka finds his shot and is decently healthy. OKC has not impressed me that much when I've watched them but they could be a lot better than what I've seen. Hope I'm not wrong. Mavs' defense is much better than it was the first half or so of the season. Either way, thinking that the refs are gonna have any real influence on the outcome is a loser's mentality.
When someone says, "to make a long story short", it's usually too late.
BmanInBigD
Bench Warmer
And1: 600

Post#104 » by BmanInBigD » Sat May 4, 2024 4:49 pm

Astaluego wrote:
GeorgeSears wrote:Luka finished the first round hobbled. Still, I like Mavs in 6.

He looked worse at the beginning of the series than at the end... is it certain that he has a sprained knee? From the way Kidd handled it and the way he looked... it would seem like he had a bad blow or something like that... I want That is to say, they did not save him from playing a single minute

Did you see him limping after Game 6? You don't fake a limp if you win the series I wouldn't think.
When someone says, "to make a long story short", it's usually too late.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,468

Post#105 » by ChipotleWest » Sat May 4, 2024 4:59 pm

This was the only time they faced after Mavs got Gafford and Washington and Luka played.

OKC 30 32 27 22 111
DAL 47 24 39 36 146
"The best ability is availability"

Not if the player sucks a**.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 594

Post#106 » by bbms » Sat May 4, 2024 5:29 pm

curious to see how the mavs are going to hide so many players in defense, or their superstars will actually have to put effort on that end

i can see daigneault just running guard on guard pnrs to pick doncic apart if he tries to hide on giddey/cason

if the mavs come up with an upset here, there'll probably be some kind of coaching chop imo. and kidd getting a raise
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,539

Post#107 » by JustBuzzin » Sat May 4, 2024 5:33 pm

I got Mavs winning this. OKC still seems like a year away before they take that next jump.

I like the experience over youth Mavs in 6.
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,197

Post#108 » by theFireBlanket » Sat May 4, 2024 5:34 pm

OKC in 5or6. Daigneault> Kidd.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
Bloodbather
Sophomore
And1: 453

Post#109 » by Bloodbather » Sat May 4, 2024 5:35 pm

Chet is the key to this series. If he hits his threes at a high clip he could neutralize Gafford and Lively's interior presence defensively. Might be unfair to expect a rookie to be the x-factor in his debut postseason, though.

Should be a fun series. I think OKC's lack of experience, while being a good point, has been a bit overstated. They're a very good team and they have a very good coach. Mavs have the best player in the series, but they don't have someone who can attack OKC's biggest weakness - size in the interior.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,027

Post#110 » by NyKnicks1714 » Sat May 4, 2024 5:49 pm

Picking Dallas in 6 like everyone else
zonedefense
Analyst
And1: 3,969

Post#111 » by zonedefense » Sat May 4, 2024 6:35 pm

Bloodbather wrote:Chet is the key to this series. If he hits his threes at a high clip he could neutralize Gafford and Lively's interior presence defensively. Might be unfair to expect a rookie to be the x-factor in his debut postseason, though.

Should be a fun series. I think OKC's lack of experience, while being a good point, has been a bit overstated. They're a very good team and they have a very good coach. Mavs have the best player in the series, but they don't have someone who can attack OKC's biggest weakness - size in the interior.

I think it is Giddey. That's the matchup the Mavs exploited in the last two regular season games against OKC. He will get the Westbrook treatment. Mavs aren't guarding the opposing center with their own bigs if they can play off a non shooter.
If Giddey is shooting like he did in the first round the Mavs are in trouble but they will at least test him.
Bloodbather
Sophomore
And1: 453

Post#112 » by Bloodbather » Sat May 4, 2024 6:40 pm

zonedefense wrote:
Bloodbather wrote:Chet is the key to this series. If he hits his threes at a high clip he could neutralize Gafford and Lively's interior presence defensively. Might be unfair to expect a rookie to be the x-factor in his debut postseason, though.

I think it is Giddey. That's the matchup the Mavs exploited in the last two regular season games against OKC. He will get the Westbrook treatment. Mavs aren't guarding the opposing center with their own bigs if they can play off a non shooter.
If Giddey is shooting like he did in the first round the Mavs are in trouble but they will at least test him.

If Giddey isn't shooting it well Daigneault probably just benches him, though.
Yuri36
Starter
And1: 1,516

Post#113 » by Yuri36 » Sat May 4, 2024 6:45 pm

lol have you seriously been watching Dallas since the Gafford trade?
Either Gafford and Lively can definitely attack OKC's lack of size inside.
Remember what Joker said after the last Mavs-Nuggets game saying that comparing to Dallas, Nuggets look like a small ball team....and we're talking about a Nuggets team which are one of the biggest teams around size wise.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,309

Post#114 » by Dadouv47 » Sat May 4, 2024 7:06 pm

zonedefense wrote:

and I think it's Jalen Williams. He plays a key role for us on both ends of the floor, Chet needs help so JDub gonna have to step up against Gafford/PJ Wasington on defense (our frontcourt bench is trash) while being that second scoring option while Shai is being guarded.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,338

Post#115 » by sfernald » Sat May 4, 2024 7:19 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:If Luka gets the usual superstar calls, it could be a long series for OKC. If its reffed properly, I'd lean to the Thunder in 6.

You mean if SGA gets superstar calls it's over :lol: ...nobody is stoping Luka,Kai or SGA...it's Just a matter who Will be able to slow them down more ,who's gonna be more efficient..Mavs haven't had a great shooting game yet,Luka hasnt been himself,yet they still advanced...should be a good series ,but I do expect the Mavs to advance because the big men should feast inside the paint

If Mavs don’t have a great shooting game, they will get blown out by 20-30 against Okc. Luka, Kyrie and nothing else will matter if okc are making 45-50% of their threes like they are apt to do.
Hoopstar23
Veteran
And1: 1,929

Post#116 » by Hoopstar23 » Sat May 4, 2024 7:20 pm

Read on Twitter

tough loss, I feel he would have been a low-key factor in this series IMO
advent11
Junior
And1: 378

Post#117 » by advent11 » Sat May 4, 2024 7:32 pm

Hoopstar23 wrote:
Read on Twitter

That is indeed a blow. Mavs don't have a small ball line-up anymore.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,338

Post#118 » by sfernald » Sat May 4, 2024 7:36 pm

Hoopstar23 wrote:
Read on Twitter

When I saw that I was sure he broke a rib. Even worse unfortunately. I don’t think Mavs have the depth for all these injuries. Sure against the clippers, but not a well coached and deep team like the thunder.

Is Kidd the kind of coach to step up and make brilliant decisions?
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,129

Post#119 » by Mr B » Sat May 4, 2024 7:49 pm

Mavs in 6
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,995

Post#120 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat May 4, 2024 7:52 pm

Read on Twitter

OKC in 6.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.

Return to The General Board