Poll: how many full games have you watched so far in the playoffs?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

How many full games have you watched so far in the playoffs?

Poll ended at Tue May 7, 2024 1:43 pm

13%
1-2
13%
3-5
17%
6-9
19%
10+
39%

Total votes: 119

PedroFlu
Pro Prospect
And1: 664

Poll: how many full games have you watched so far in the playoffs? 

Post#1 » by PedroFlu » Sat May 4, 2024 1:43 pm

Id like to emphatize: only games you watched from start to finish.

Im interested to know, cause, me, despite some interesting games and series, I only watched 2 full Lakers games.

Im in Brazil, so East Coast games should be easier to catch - West too late. But I dont really plan to watch an East Game, unless Boston gets a real challenge.

Anyways, point being, I might be wrong, but I think very, very few people watch full games now - even in the playoffs. Middle aged Basketball nerd/junkies like us have too many other stuff to do, and I dont feel there are many nerd basketball junkies on their teens or 20s anymore.

But fact is while I love following the repercussion of the League, player moviment, etc, I dont really feel like watching games anymore - even those of the team/player I follow.

So Im interested in understanding this phenom. Despite considering myself a big NBA fan, Im losing interest in actually watching full games, playoffs or RS. Is it just me or is it really affecting everyome?

Edit: For reference, it's been 42 games so far in the 1st round, played for 14 days now.

1-2 games > 2%-5% of all games played;
3-5 games > 7% - 11%
6-10 games - 14% - 24%
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 385

Re: Poll: how many full games have you watched so far in the playoffs? 

Post#2 » by WentzerWuver » Sat May 4, 2024 2:08 pm

PedroFlu wrote:Id like to emphatize: only games you watched from start to finish.

Im interested to know, cause, me, despite some interesting games and series, I only watched 2 full Lakers games.

Im in Brazil, so East Coast games should be easier to catch - West too late. But I dont really plan to watch an East Game, unless Boston gets a real challenge.

Anyways, point being, I might be wrong, but I think very, very few people watch full games now - even in the playoffs. Middle aged Basketball nerd/junkies like us have too many other stuff to do, and I dont feel there are many nerd basketball junkies on their teens or 20s anymore.

But fact is while I love following the repercussion of the League, player moviment, etc, I dont really feel like watching games anymore - even those of the team/player I follow.

So Im interested in understanding this phenom. Despite considering myself a big NBA fan, Im losing interest in actually watching full games, playoffs or RS. Is it just me or is it really affecting everyome?
I watched every Sixers and most of the Clippers series. I missed entire games by choice on the Nuggets Lakers series cause I already knew the predicable end result even tho it wasn't a sweep as I had expected.

Why watch any games when you already know who will win. I'd rather play fortnite Lol
Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man
And1: 2,219

Post#3 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sat May 4, 2024 2:14 pm

Every wolves-suns game, 4 of the 5 Lakers Nuggets games (was spoiled result of last game). 2 Celtics Heat games (waste of time), 3 philly Knicks games (best series for a neutral), 2 games of Mavs clippers.

Non of Pacers bucks, Pelicans okc and cavs Orlando. Just highlights.
ChiTownHero1992
Veteran
And1: 1,606

Post#4 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Sat May 4, 2024 2:18 pm

1 just can't stand watching most of the games these days which sucks as I absolutely love basketball...NBA is just tough to watch anymore. I'll flip through channels and catch 5-6 minutes of each game but see how bad it is and give up before finding something else
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,982

Post#5 » by Quattro » Sat May 4, 2024 2:20 pm

With 2 young kids, watching full games is usually a pipe dream for me but I caught most of that Knicks 76ers series. That definitely had a 90s vibe to it with the defense and physicality. Haven't enjoyed basketball that much in years. Also caught some of the Denver, Mavs and OKC series.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 385

Post#6 » by WentzerWuver » Sat May 4, 2024 2:23 pm

ChiTownHero1992 wrote:1 just can't stand watching most of the games these days which sucks as I absolutely love basketball...NBA is just tough to watch anymore. I'll flip through channels and catch 5-6 minutes of each game but see how bad it is and give up before finding something else
Cause your Bulls missed the playoffs again as the real reason Lol but understandable.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 7,594

Post#7 » by durden_tyler » Sat May 4, 2024 2:28 pm

For the older guys, who have work and family, there is never a full game watched, but always in the background— but all games when there’s a chance. Then there’s watching via mobile too, it’s always “watching” the game but doing other stuff on the phone too (like posting on RealGM or playing chess while the game is on)
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,560

Post#8 » by itrsteve » Sat May 4, 2024 2:40 pm

From start to finish? Honestly just the Boston series, except for falling asleep for fourth quarter of game five.

Watched a lot of games from halftime on though.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,205

Post#9 » by cupcakesnake » Sat May 4, 2024 2:45 pm

Denver, OKC, and Minnesota are the teams I've followed most over the past 4-5 seasons so I've died and gone to basketball heaven.

I don't watch every game because I do have some amount of life outside of following the NBA, but I caught 9 games from those 3 series, and also watched most of Knicks-Sixers, 2 games of Pacers-Bucks, 2 games of Cavs-Magic, 2 games of Mavs-Clips. So something like 19 games.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
chilluminati
Starter
And1: 4,135

Post#10 » by chilluminati » Sat May 4, 2024 2:46 pm

I've seen most of them outside of skipping almost every Cleveland Orlando game and falling asleep on the late slot a few times, one advantage of being single and having a boring life :lol:. Sucks that they play 2 playoff games at the same time for teams that aren't as exciting. The CLE ORL matchup was constantly being broadcast at the same time as Celtics Heat or Sixers Pacers. I finally got leaguepass so I can watch basketball in HD without lag or delays, but now it's sucking down my crappy internet so hard that I can only stream 2 streams at a time if I watch in 480p lol. I used to watch them all, A tradeoff for quality I guess.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,079

Post#11 » by Curmudgeon » Sat May 4, 2024 3:19 pm

All the Celtics games. 4th quarter of some games that looked like they would be close, e.g. Knicks Sixers game 6.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,914

Post#12 » by Chuck Everett » Sat May 4, 2024 4:26 pm

All of the Western Conference playoffs (with the exception of the Minnesota/Phoenix game 4. I fell asleep). With the East, I saw all of those games, with the exception of the second half of Cavs/Magic Game 2 when Orlando couldn't hit water while falling out of a boat. The NBA does do a great job not having too many overlapping games.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 12,054

Post#13 » by Nate505 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:28 pm

None, though I'll watch bits and pieces here, especially the end if the game is close.

The modern game is just such terrible 3 point chuck fest, and the Jazz aren't in the playoffs this year so my interest goes down.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,863

Post#14 » by scrabbarista » Sat May 4, 2024 4:29 pm

I voted 1-2, but upon reflection, I think it was like 4.

Most of the games have not been close, and I tend to turn a game off if I have a strong sense of who'll win or if I think the officiating is bad.

I also lost interest in the DAL-LAC series almost immediately because the quality of play was so disappointing. Same for IND-MIL. I barely even tried to watch PHO-MIN, because it was a huge mismatch.

All that said, 3 of the 4 full games I watched were just for the pleasure of seeing DEN beat LAL. The other was NOP-OKC Game 1.

I also watched big chunks of MIA-BOS when the games weren't blowouts. And then bits of PHI-NYK and even smaller bits of ORL-CLE.

Honestly, I tried watching every series at some point, but only the first three games of DEN and the first game of OKC fully held my attention for the requisite 2.75 hours.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,679

Post#15 » by nomansland » Sat May 4, 2024 4:45 pm

I live in Europe and wake up early every day to watch the previous nights' Nuggets games without knowing the scores. Or if I'm bored at night I'll watch some of the non-Nuggets games even if I already know the score. I've seen at least a game of each series except the Cavs/Magic.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,160

Post#16 » by Residual-Heat » Sat May 4, 2024 4:48 pm

I tried to watch atleast one full game from every series. Definitely watched more than 10. Watched second halves of some games as well.
FreeBird23
Junior
And1: 1,193

Post#17 » by FreeBird23 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:55 pm

4 games : 2 Orl-Cle, 1 Den-LAL and 1 NY-Phi.
Not easy when you live in Europe, and I dont enjoy NBA since 3 or 4 years.

I watch a ton of Euroleague though.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,703

Post#18 » by GSWFan1994 » Sat May 4, 2024 5:04 pm

During the season, I believe I watched around 45/50 Warriors games, which is by far a record for me (previous one was 20-ish), taking into acount I live in Brazil, so due to the timezone the home games usually start at midnight, and of course in the following day I look like a zombie due to lack of sleep.

Now in the playoffs I haven't watched one single game, either due to the timezone, or I simply don't have interest in the series. A full game can take up to 2 and a half, or 3 hours from start to finish. I'd rather spend my time doing other things.

I usually watch those 10 minute highlight videos which a bunch of YT channels upload mere minutes after the game is over. Now when the conference finals, and most definitely the finals start, that's when I'll watch the whole shebang.
Greek
Starter
And1: 449

Post#19 » by Greek » Sat May 4, 2024 5:07 pm

To be honest with so many breaks that NBA has for me its impossible to watch a full game without sleeping in the middle...

Sent from my SM-G996B using RealGM mobile app
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,731

Post#20 » by shi-woo » Sat May 4, 2024 5:08 pm

I'm lucky that the days I decided to buy a 6 pack and watch basketball all night were during the 76er NY games, and of course I caught most of the Timber Wolves and Nugget games.

I think expecting people to sit through a 4hr game in 2024 is asking a little too much. I haven't watched a single Celtic game for example, because why would I? The games weren't going to be interesting. I also fell asleep during a lot of the TWolve and Nugget games given I live on the East coast, but so far I've been super happy with the games I did commit too, or series I followed from start to finish. I watched the majority of the last 3 NY v Philly games, the Nuggets games catching both Jamal game winners, and have enjoyed watching the last 2 Cavs v Magic. I also caught the Hali game with the game winner. Honestly, every game i've watched has been fire this year :lol:

I'd say all in all i've watched about 10+ games of quarters played, skipping the entirerty of OKC, and all but only a few quarters of the Celtics just to see how Jrue and Zinger looked.

During a lot of these games I'm drawing on my tablet, or playing chess online as well, and that's been a solid routine for me. I treat basketball like I used to treat baseball, i'll have it as background noise while i'm cooking dinner or something, and then tune in when the 7th inning comes around. Poking my head up when things get interesting.

Return to The General Board