The Clippers are the first team to find themselves trapped in the "trade-picks-to-win" era.

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

dirkdiggler4177
Rookie
And1: 1,303

The Clippers are the first team to find themselves trapped in the "trade-picks-to-win" era. 

Post#1 » by dirkdiggler4177 » Sat May 4, 2024 2:33 pm

They are likely to sign Harden and PG to significant, long-term contracts this offseason. They can't rebuild because they don't own their own pick till 2030. Trading is unlikely, as it's rare to see high-caliber players exchanged for each other. Therefore, they will secure both players with substantial, extended contracts. Essentially, this will define their team for the foreseeable future, leaving them with no assets in terms of draft picks and young talent. Each year, their situation deteriorates, and their only avenue for improvement is the MLE.

Picks status:
2024 First Round Pick: This pick has been traded to Washington.
2025 First Round Pick: Oklahoma City has the right to swap its 2025 1st round pick for the Clippers' 2025 1st round pick. This means that Oklahoma City might end up taking the Clippers' pick if it is more favorable than the other options they have.
2026 First Round Pick: Oklahoma City will receive one of the more favorable picks between its own, Houston's (protected for selections 1-4), and the Clippers'. Philadelphia will get the least favorable among these. Thus, the Clippers will not keep their 2026 first round pick.
2027 First Round Pick: Oklahoma City has the right to swap its 2027 1st round pick (or Denver's, if conveyed) for the Clippers' 2027 1st round pick. This could result in the Clippers losing their 2027 pick.
2028 First Round Pick: This pick has been traded to Philadelphia.
2029 First Round Pick: Philadelphia has the right to swap its 2029 1st round pick for the Clippers' 2029 1st round pick, which is protected for selections 1-3.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,418

Re: The Clippers are the first team to find themselves trapped in the "trade-picks-to-win" era. 

Post#2 » by itrsteve » Sat May 4, 2024 2:35 pm

Yeah but dude they got James F’in Harden. It’s worth it.
_jin
Sixth Man
And1: 2,152

Re: The Clippers are the first team to find themselves trapped in the "trade-picks-to-win" era. 

Post#3 » by _jin » Sat May 4, 2024 2:56 pm

Just like the Suns they are stuck in playin to 2nd round fodder territory for the next few seasons. They wont even have access the taxpayer MLE since they're above the 2nd apron. They have to resign PG and Harden, the only alternative is to sign and trade them for several role players but then they'd be building around Kawhi and we all know how that'll work out. Such a horrible situation to be in.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,637

Post#4 » by EmpireFalls » Sat May 4, 2024 2:58 pm

This is how Silver is defeating tanking, making sure svery team doesn’t own their own picks
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,409

Post#5 » by boomershadow » Sat May 4, 2024 3:33 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:This is how Silver is defeating tanking, making sure svery team doesn’t own their own picks

Adam Silver didn't tell the Clippers to trade 5 first round picks
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 787

Post#6 » by Movics » Sat May 4, 2024 3:36 pm

I wonder if there’s going to be a new Stepien rule for these kind of transactions
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,612

Post#7 » by Mak » Sat May 4, 2024 4:20 pm

We are still far away from seeing if this will turn in real disaster where some kind of rules will have to come in place. PG/Harden will stay. Then we are looking at 2028 could start looking real bad, and it could be bad for many many years. You know they will trade more future picks as soon as they can to help this core win.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,804

Post#8 » by Raps in 4 » Sat May 4, 2024 4:28 pm

The Nets already fell prey to this, then the Suns and Clippers traded for the Nets players that got them into that position, so they too could find themselves in the same situation.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,639

Post#9 » by shi-woo » Sat May 4, 2024 4:45 pm

I feel bad for these guys. All 4 "stars" in LA are actually from LA, and were probably hoping to compete and just finish their careers at home in the sunshine.

With Kawhi burning George for like the 4 strait year I don't see why he would even want to stay. Same with Westbrook. Same with Harden. Westbrook is 100% out the door, I don't think the team would even want him back, and Paul can actually go play meaningful minutes on a better team. The guy wanted to be a #2 so bad, but keeps getting forced to be the #1 over and over again :lol: I genually feel bad for George, because most guys with his talent don't have the balls to do that, and he still gets the heat.

Harden is obviously getting the bag, no other team can sign him really, or want him, and he did well his 1st year all things considered. At this point to I think he knows his narrative will never change, and won't want to leave LA for some tier 2 city.

I respect the fact that the Clips went for it, and think the people clamoring for rule changes are a little off. Kawhi's injury is what makes this so bad, and having to constantly dedicate so much resources to players who don't play is what does these teams in. There is nothing worse in sports than knowing Grant Hill, DRose, Kawhi, Amare is wasting your teams chances for the next 4 years. Teams don't have a way out of those moments, and in a lot of cases you're hoping for some sort of miracle.

Players and coaches are never going to leave money on the table, so it forces teams to low key do what the Clips did, convince themselves to just go all in and make the best of it and pray that guy is able to make that magical run like Kawhi did in 19, or Lakers getting Bynum to actually play basketball for those two postseasons.

I think the NBA doesn't need to step in here, and the answer is real real simple. Stop over valuing the impact of mediocre star players. Paul George and Harden are simply not worth the packages given up for them. Kevin Durant was not worth the package given up for hm.

Teams need to stop over valuing these guys like they are prime Kobe Bryant, and do you people even remember what trade packages for stars used to look like? Paul Pierce when he silently requested a trade was offered Jamal McGloire a mid prospect and 2 picks. Kobe when he did the same was offered for Luol Deng, Tyrus Thomas and some picks (I don't remember these trades exxactly). A solid all star level prospect, 2 other young guys who could crack a rotation, and 3-4 picks used to be the nhe norm.

Now, whith guys asking out at the apex of their primes, or even before their primes by age 26, teams think they need to give up the entirety of their assets for that guys prime years. It's a trash hold over from the Superteam era, and think this will eventually correct itself as teams become more aware that taking on 50-60 mil contracts isn't good, and will adjust what they send out accordingly.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,127

Post#10 » by Mr B » Sat May 4, 2024 4:56 pm

Seems pretty simple on what the Clippers (and Lakers) should do. PG doesn’t want to leave LA. The Clippers need a change though.

The Lakers also need a change. Labron seems tired of playing with AD. So why not work out a trade that sends PG to the Lakers for AD?
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,884

Post#11 » by Chuck Everett » Sat May 4, 2024 5:00 pm

Clippers have a strange front office. Players obviously want to play in Los Angeles, but they seem to put minimal effort in their scouting department. The only "young guys" they've developed in years are Ivica Zubac and Amir Coffey. You want overpaid, aging stars? Okay, cool. But you also need to put cheap, young athletic role players around them. I know the G-League team is moving to San Diego, but they need to invest way more into finding cheap replacement players. Bones, Boston Jr., Kobe Brown, Diabate, all look like they need tons more work just to be playable.

These near second apron teams should be heavily invested in their G-League teams (and two-ways) to find talent. No excuse, considering they have the money to spend obviously.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,112

Half Stepien? 

Post#12 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sat May 4, 2024 5:30 pm

Movics wrote:I wonder if there’s going to be a new Stepien rule for these kind of transactions

On the contrary, I think with the new 2nd apron, the Stepien Rule could see leniency. Perhaps they can allow a team to trade consecutive picks under the condition the team has proven their competitiveness by being in the playoffs within the past year and have defeated at least one team, mainly because of the frozen pick provision. If you're barred from trading any pick that is seven years away, then you should be allowed to trade any of your picks within the first six years without restrictions... as long as you earn it.

The real rules I'd love to see for 2nd apron teams are, in addition to current rules:

1. Being barred from signing players to any contract, even veteran's minimum. Your only outlet is trading.
2. The only way to get out of 2nd apron is to trade your franchise face(s). Doing so means you automatically forfeit a postseason spot this year, but you can go for it next year.
3. For every superstar (6-time All-Star, league MVP, Finals MVP) you have on your roster upon entering the 2nd apron, you must waive a roster spot. Maximum carry is 15 spots - 1 superstar equals 14 spots, 2 equals 13, 3 equals 12 and so on.
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,031

Post#13 » by sp6r=underrated » Sat May 4, 2024 5:42 pm

The Clippers have disappointed in the playoffs but in the post-Sterling era they've been one of the best run clubs. Since 2012 only the Warriors have more wins. And even with the post-season drop-off they're still 9th best in post-season wins. They've just been snake bitten by two things: terrible post-season draws and injuries.

The bad luck with post-season draws in under-discussed. In 2015 they won 56 games and opened with a 55 win Spurs team (6 SRS). That is a conference finals calibers club in the first round when you won 56 games. Terrible luck. And the injuries to Paul/Kawhi compound the problem.

Overall I don't see any problem with the Clippers long-term because the combination of good management/LA draw/Ballmer's super deep pockets will make them competitive long-term. Especially given the atrophy we've seen in Lakers' management over the last 15 years.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,413

Post#14 » by Black Jack » Sat May 4, 2024 5:51 pm

I think the pick swaps loophole should be closed.

Clearly rich new owners can't help themselves from trading all picks. Fans should be protected from this stupidity.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
Kiss of Death
Senior
And1: 828

Post#15 » by Kiss of Death » Sat May 4, 2024 5:53 pm

Teams that went all in (trading multiple first round picks for one player). Where are they now?

Still in playoffs:
Minnesota - Gobert (Most people would give Anthony Edwards credit for that.)
Cleveland - Mitchell (Game 7, one game could change it all.)

Out of playoffs:
Milwaukee - Jrue (Won title. Traded Jrue for Dame)
Atlanta - Murray
Brooklyn - Harden
Chicago - Vucevic
LA Clippers - George, Harden
Phoenix - Durant, Beal
Memphis - Smart (Whole team injured)

This is why teams like Houston should just stay the course, instead of trading away young players and picks for the likes of old Kevin Durant.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,892

Post#16 » by Patches Perry » Sat May 4, 2024 5:59 pm

This is also why I don't fault Presti too much for not immediately cashing in their stash of picks for whatever star they can get now. First round picks are incredibly valuable even if they don't materialize into a star, because you get 3-4 years of a good rotation player on a very cheap contract. Depending on the build of your roster, that might be more valuable than a star making full market value or more.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,142

Post#17 » by Archx » Sat May 4, 2024 6:01 pm

itrsteve wrote:Yeah but dude they got James F’in Harden. It’s worth it.

dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,935

Post#18 » by dockingsched » Sat May 4, 2024 6:02 pm

They were a top 4 seed in one of the toughest years in the west and lost in six basically without their best player. It’s not that bad lol.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,161

Post#19 » by HMFFL » Sat May 4, 2024 6:04 pm

Some teams have the same cycle and nothing changes. The Clippers are that team for me, but they seem to find cracks to work the system, so I expect them to find ways to upgrade positions.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,552

Post#20 » by mtcan » Sat May 4, 2024 6:12 pm

dockingsched wrote:They were a top 4 seed in one of the toughest years in the west and lost in six basically without their best player. It’s not that bad lol.

Everyone's a year older...but not necessarily better. That's the problem.

Their best young player might be Amir Coffey or Bones Hyland. :o

Return to The General Board