Ant vs Kobe

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who would you build around in today's league?

Ant
36%
Kobe
64%

Total votes: 138

One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,891

Ant vs Kobe 

Post#1 » by One_and_Done » Sat May 4, 2024 11:27 pm

Right now Ant's per 100 stats are 40.3p, 10.4r, 8.1a, 648 TS%, on a 128 Ortg, while playing good D. Tell me the playoffs Kobe had that I should compare that too. It's still early of course, but if he keeps this up it's clearly better than anything Kobe did.

The dude is killing it out there, and that more than any stat is notable. That reliable deep 3 is something Kobe never had, which would really hurt him today. He is just impacting games more than Kobe could.

Who would you build a team around in today's league?
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,421

Re: Ant vs Kobe 

Post#2 » by Black Jack » Sat May 4, 2024 11:52 pm

Kobe didn't play in the advanced stats era. If he was same as as Ant he'd be better period. Kobe would have developed his jumper more in the post-Steph era where everybody has a jumper. Also he'd have been targeting advanced stats instead of ball hogging like he did in his era when everyone was copying Jordan's playing style.

I like Ant but Kobe had more raw talent.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,394

Post#3 » by CS707 » Sat May 4, 2024 11:53 pm

Ffs.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,313

Post#4 » by SlimShady83 » Sat May 4, 2024 11:55 pm

I'm choosing Kobe no matter the topic %99.9 of the time It's gonna be Kobe for me. The other 1% belongs to the goat MJ :) Edit: everyone roll eyes
My Personal Top 10 all time
Jordan, Russell, Bird, Duncan, Magic, Kobe, Curry, Shaq, Kareem, Bron

Top 5 will always be the same, 6-10 will change from time to time :)
I'm a Kobe fan
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,489

Post#5 » by Hornet Mania » Sat May 4, 2024 11:59 pm

Definitely Kobe, and I like Ant a lot.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#6 » by One_and_Done » Sun May 5, 2024 12:01 am

Black Jack wrote:Kobe didn't play in the advanced stats era. If he was same as as Ant he'd be better period. Kobe would have developed his jumper more in the post-Steph era where everybody has a jumper. Also he'd have been targeting advanced stats instead of ball hogging like he did in his era when everyone was copying Jordan's playing style.

I like Ant but Kobe had more raw talent.

I think Kobe's impact would be sonewhat less today due to his playstyle and meh 3 point shooting. His biggest strength, being an inelastic scorer, is also his greatest weakness. Because of how he played he'd get minimal benefit from extra spacing today.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,009

Post#7 » by tsherkin » Sun May 5, 2024 12:02 am

Well, let's see how this, his first second-round series, goes.

Kobe's playoff efficiency rose in the post-05 era, which is worth considering. He clearly had the physical and skill tools to thrive. And the triangle wasn't exactly the ideal offense for his individual production, nor did he have the advantage of a heavy PnR offense with lots of DHOs and other sets. So there are things to consider about how he might look in a contemporary environment.

Ant has a hot start to his playoff career, but we'll see how it goes from here.
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,243

Post#8 » by Wallace_Wallace » Sun May 5, 2024 12:03 am

4 good games get you legendary status? Let me give you a random series. Steve Nash in 2005, averaged 30/6/12 against the Mavs in 6 games on 63.9% TS in a slow paced bad shooting era. That was against one of the legit title contenders in 2005 instead of pretenders in present day Phoenix.

Is he the greatest point guard over Magic and Curry?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by tsherkin » Sun May 5, 2024 12:06 am

One_and_Done wrote:I think Kobe's impact would be sonewhat less today due to his playstyle and meh 3 point shooting. His biggest strength, being an inelastic scorer, is also his greatest weakness. Because of how he played he'd get minimal benefit from extra spacing today.

The counterpoint, obviously, is the significant increase in efficiency he saw in the postseason and in the RS from 2006 forward. So clearly, he COULD benefit from the changes, and did. And that would continue today. He was a very good transition shooter, he was a very good ball-handler, and again, he evidenced actual, considerable efficiency improvement in his actual career, which sort of undermines your assertion here.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,090

Post#10 » by dockingsched » Sun May 5, 2024 12:09 am

One_and_Done wrote:Tell me the playoffs Kobe had that I should compare that too.

None, you’re using a 4.5 game playoff sample. You shouldn’t compare it to anything Kobe did.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,780

Post#11 » by Harry Garris » Sun May 5, 2024 12:10 am

Those aren’t Ant’s real per 100 stats though from this season. That’s what he did in a 4 game sweep against a sorry Suns team.

If you look at the full season stats yeah Ant’s season this year and Kobe’s age 22 season are comparable. But it’d be hard to make the case that he’s “on track” to be greater than Kobe already… I don’t see that. He has a long way to go still.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by One_and_Done » Sun May 5, 2024 12:11 am

Wallace_Wallace wrote:4 good games get you legendary status? Let me give you a random series. Steve Nash in 2005, averaged 30/6/12 against the Mavs in 6 games on 63.9% TS in a slow paced bad shooting era. That was against one of the legit title contenders in 2005 instead of pretenders in present day Phoenix.

Is he the greatest point guard over Magic and Curry?

I'd certainly take him over Kobe.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,224

Post#13 » by cpower » Sun May 5, 2024 12:12 am

players dont beat the law of average , 1 bad game it will all come down...lets stop these similar comparisons remember there was 1 year Mitch avg 40 in playoffs? Where is his MJ comparison now?
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by One_and_Done » Sun May 5, 2024 12:17 am

Harry Garris wrote:Those aren’t Ant’s real per 100 stats though from this season. That’s what he did in a 4 game sweep against a sorry Suns team.

If you look at the full season stats yeah Ant’s season this year and Kobe’s age 22 season are comparable. But it’d be hard to make the case that he’s “on track” to be greater than Kobe already… I don’t see that. He has a long way to go still.

I mean current Ant isn't just playing better than 22 years old Kobe, he's playing better than any version of Kobe. We'll see if he keeps it up, but the 1st half of today's game certainly suggests he's not slowing down.
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,243

Post#15 » by Wallace_Wallace » Sun May 5, 2024 12:17 am

cpower wrote:players dont beat the law of average , 1 bad game it will all come down...lets stop these similar comparisons remember there was 1 year Mitch avg 40 in playoffs? Where is his MJ comparison now?

He’s not as slick on the mic/interviews. Put KAT on that Utah instead of a bunch of stiffs Utah probably would’ve won the whole thing (the fact they were a #1 seed before).
Handlez
Junior
And1: 643

Post#16 » by Handlez » Sun May 5, 2024 12:23 am

Crazy talk.

Kobe would own this current league.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,644

Post#17 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Sun May 5, 2024 12:31 am

The “Kobe would be a better shooter now” arguments don’t hold any water, nobody practiced more more than Kobe did and if he’d have been a better shooter he would’ve made more. The guy made 12 threes in a game fairly early in his career, he knew what threes were, he was just a streaky shooter and overall just not as great of a shooter as from anywhere as some make him out to be.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by tsherkin » Sun May 5, 2024 12:55 am

FluLikeSymptoms wrote:The “Kobe would be a better shooter now” arguments don’t hold any water, nobody practiced more more than Kobe did and if he’d have been a better shooter he would’ve made more. The guy made 12 threes in a game fairly early in his career, he knew what threes were, he was just a streaky shooter and overall just not as great of a shooter as from anywhere as some make him out to be.

It's less shooting ability, and more his shot selection at the time. That might change, given the era-specific emphasis on those shots.
aliasxn
Junior
And1: 521

Post#19 » by aliasxn » Sun May 5, 2024 1:24 am

Wtf :noway:
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by One_and_Done » Sun May 5, 2024 1:25 am

tsherkin wrote:
FluLikeSymptoms wrote:The “Kobe would be a better shooter now” arguments don’t hold any water, nobody practiced more more than Kobe did and if he’d have been a better shooter he would’ve made more. The guy made 12 threes in a game fairly early in his career, he knew what threese were, he was just a streaky shooter and overall just not as great of a shooter as from anywhere as some make him out to be.

It's less shooting ability, and more his shot selection at the time. That might change, given the era-specific emphasis on those shots.

Kobe during his career was probably the least flexible and adaptable star in the league. It's a big stretch to assume he'd be willing to play a different way.

Return to The General Board