Ant vs Kobe

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who would you build around in today's league?

Ant
36%
Kobe
64%

Total votes: 138

Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man
And1: 2,084

Re: Ant vs Kobe 

Post#61 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sun May 5, 2024 12:43 pm

FluLikeSymptoms wrote:
Shaka_Zulu wrote:Its ridicolous to me people keep taking this OPs kobe troll baits. He has made multiple threads like these lol.

The flavour of the month is Ant so he keeps being dragged into the troll materials.

It’s just not that big of a troll job though. You’re allowed to compare players to Kobe, it’s not sacrilege. Guys like Shai and Ant are closer to Kobe than Kobe got to Mike.

Oh I agree, if its a genuine discussion, its fine, hella premature, but fine.

But I seen this OP sneakily troll about Kobe for some time now :D Even if he makes points I agree with, I doubt his intention is true discussion and more of a clear trolling agenda regarding Kobe.
Wargreymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,549

Post#62 » by Wargreymon » Sun May 5, 2024 1:04 pm

I mean it's kind of like asking which Spider man do you want? Tobey Maguire, Tom Holland, or Andrew Garfield? Ant, Kobe, Michael?
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,687

Post#63 » by tsherkin » Sun May 5, 2024 1:06 pm

Wargreymon wrote:I mean it's kind of like asking which Spider man do you want? Tobey Maguire, Tom Holland, or Andrew Garfield? Ant, Kobe, Michael?

No, it isn't really anything like that at all...
Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man
And1: 2,084

Post#64 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sun May 5, 2024 1:18 pm

Wargreymon wrote:I mean it's kind of like asking which Spider man do you want? Tobey Maguire, Tom Holland, or Andrew Garfield? Ant, Kobe, Michael?

bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 4,058

Post#65 » by bledredwine » Sun May 5, 2024 1:33 pm

D.Brasco wrote:
bledredwine wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Calling somebody "one of the top 25 players to ever play" is a pretty positive statement. Of the countless thousands to play ball, he is near the top. Only 20-24 guys are likely better.

Here's the obligatory monthly Lebron/Kobe reminder to ground fans back in reality.

Reminder of what exactly? That a 24 year old LeBron gave props to a player he grew up watching.

Do you even know what you are trying to prove with that clip?

That Kobe was in fact known to be the better player at the time,

why? Because at the time, he was considered the better player, by the majority of fans and players.... and Lebron.

Lebron's always had the same ego- he'd call himself if he believed himself to be the best. He was not.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,815

Post#66 » by One_and_Done » Sun May 5, 2024 8:33 pm

Players say alot of stupid stuff. I think they've proven we shouldn't take their views too seriously.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,449

Post#67 » by dygaction » Sun May 5, 2024 8:49 pm

One_and_Done wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:Those aren’t Ant’s real per 100 stats though from this season. That’s what he did in a 4 game sweep against a sorry Suns team.

If you look at the full season stats yeah Ant’s season this year and Kobe’s age 22 season are comparable. But it’d be hard to make the case that he’s “on track” to be greater than Kobe already… I don’t see that. He has a long way to go still.

I mean current Ant isn't just playing better than 22 years old Kobe, he's playing better than any version of Kobe. We'll see if he keeps it up, but the 1st half of today's game certainly suggests he's not slowing down.

why always focusing on Kobe :crazy: ? Give him a break, and Ant has gone further than MJ ever did before him turning 24.
xchange55
Senior
And1: 526

Post#68 » by xchange55 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:23 pm

Black Jack wrote:Kobe didn't play in the advanced stats era. If he was same as as Ant he'd be better period. Kobe would have developed his jumper more in the post-Steph era where everybody has a jumper. Also he'd have been targeting advanced stats instead of ball hogging like he did in his era when everyone was copying Jordan's playing style.

I like Ant but Kobe had more raw talent.

You're saying Kobe would have adjusted his play style to pad his stats in a positive way? Did I really just read that?
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,413

Post#69 » by Black Jack » Mon May 6, 2024 12:05 am

xchange55 wrote:
Black Jack wrote:Kobe didn't play in the advanced stats era. If he was same as as Ant he'd be better period. Kobe would have developed his jumper more in the post-Steph era where everybody has a jumper. Also he'd have been targeting advanced stats instead of ball hogging like he did in his era when everyone was copying Jordan's playing style.

I like Ant but Kobe had more raw talent.

You're saying Kobe would have adjusted his play style to pad his stats in a positive way? Did I really just read that?

Of course. Why do you think everyone started playing more efficient after the moneyball era began?

Google: reflexivity
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
Stan
Sixth Man
And1: 2,494

Post#70 » by Stan » Mon May 6, 2024 12:12 am

We're really comparing a 22 year old who's won a single playoff series to a top 10-15 player ever? Give me an effing break :lol:
Ol Roy
Sophomore
And1: 147

Post#71 » by Ol Roy » Mon May 6, 2024 12:17 am

For a long time, Kawhi was viewed as the next stylistic successor in this mold. I wonder if he'll be memory holed in favor of Edwards. There isn't really a need to, as there is a generation gap between all four.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 17,204

Post#72 » by Wolfgang630 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:21 am

Lmaooo no it’s not.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by tsherkin » Mon May 6, 2024 12:28 am

xchange55 wrote:You're saying Kobe would have adjusted his play style to pad his stats in a positive way? Did I really just read that?

It's not about padding stats so much as adjusting to the league environment. We saw him improve just from league environment changes in his own actual career. There's a pretty good chance he'd still be a positive rTS guy in today's environment when he was healthy and in his prime.
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,342

Post#74 » by KnixtapeH20 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:29 am

tsherkin wrote:
FluLikeSymptoms wrote:The “Kobe would be a better shooter now” arguments don’t hold any water, nobody practiced more more than Kobe did and if he’d have been a better shooter he would’ve made more. The guy made 12 threes in a game fairly early in his career, he knew what threes were, he was just a streaky shooter and overall just not as great of a shooter as from anywhere as some make him out to be.

It's less shooting ability, and more his shot selection at the time. That might change, given the era-specific emphasis on those shots.

Ex **** actly

Ppl make me laugh when the bring up Kobes "stats" like %'s lol did yall not watch him play? He WAS the team during crunch time or end of Q, end of half's.... this man LIVED for that 1 v 1 back n forth.... AND he GUARDED the best player not shyed away from it like players nowadays where it's about matchups...

lol this young generation
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,379

Post#75 » by Woodsanity » Mon May 6, 2024 12:35 am

Way too premature....
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
socal74
Rookie
And1: 1,257

Post#76 » by socal74 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:41 am

KnixtapeH20 wrote:
tsherkin wrote:
FluLikeSymptoms wrote:The “Kobe would be a better shooter now” arguments don’t hold any water, nobody practiced more more than Kobe did and if he’d have been a better shooter he would’ve made more. The guy made 12 threes in a game fairly early in his career, he knew what threes were, he was just a streaky shooter and overall just not as great of a shooter as from anywhere as some make him out to be.

It's less shooting ability, and more his shot selection at the time. That might change, given the era-specific emphasis on those shots.

Ex **** actly

Ppl make me laugh when the bring up Kobes "stats" like %'s lol did yall not watch him play? He WAS the team during crunch time or end of Q, end of half's.... this man LIVED for that 1 v 1 back n forth.... AND he GUARDED the best player not shyed away from it like players nowadays where it's about matchups...

Exactly what's happening with these cats. They didn't really watch him play. They just remember the older post achilles Kobe. Hell I saw some post talking about Kobe like he was not even comparable athletically to Ant. WTF are some of these dudes watching? Young Kobe was athletic as ****. Go watch his dunks when he was #8. Like everyone forgot how he played before going to #24
KnixtapeH20
RealGM
And1: 16,342

Post#77 » by KnixtapeH20 » Mon May 6, 2024 1:04 am

socal74 wrote:
KnixtapeH20 wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

Ex **** actly

Exactly what's happening with these cats. They didn't really watch him play. They just remember the older post achilles Kobe. Hell I saw some post talking about Kobe like he was not even comparable athletically to Ant. WTF are some of these dudes watching? Young Kobe was athletic as ****. Go watch his dunks when he was #8. Like everyone forgot how he played before going to #24

His dunks, his defense, his steals, his hustle, his **** Passion, DESIRE & competitiveness are UNMATCHED from ANY athlete in my opinion... even Jordan but that's another discussion.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by tsherkin » Mon May 6, 2024 1:06 am

socal74 wrote:

To one extent or another, this happens in every generation. At least now, we have better access to more games if the younger folks want to go back and actually watch a given player in question. It's a progressively harder each decade you go back, apart from epic games on Hardwood Classics.

Kobe was very, very good. He had his issues, as does basically any player, but any conversation about him should be prefaced with the underlying understanding that he was extremely good. And his numbers back that up. A lot of the negative talk about him comes from pushback against the Cult of Kobe... but you don't have like, a Cult of Trajan Langdon, you really only have fanbases like that for players who reached a certain threshold of popularity AND have some punch to the arguments pertaining to their ability, you know? Jordan, Lebron, Kobe, like that.

Ant is the right kind of personable and on-court exciting. He's certainly been a playoff monster so far. I think most folks are waiting to see it over an extend PS run and an actual full-ish regular season before anointing him, but he's clearly a skillful player who has huge promise going forward.
Wallace_Wallace
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,203

Post#79 » by Wallace_Wallace » Mon May 6, 2024 1:27 am

Stan wrote:We're really comparing a 22 year old who's won a single playoff series to a top 10-15 player ever? Give me an effing break :lol:

There’s really no guarantee about Ant’s postseason success right after this run. Mike Conley, the team stabilizer, will need a new contract. Without Conley, they could barely make a pass in game 1 (good thing KAT and Reid stepped up). McDaniels and Edwards contracts will kick in, KAT and Gobert still making well over 40m per year. Five players (Ant, KAT, Gobert, Reid & McDaniels) will combine to make 175m next season. We’ll see how MJ he’ll get when the Wolves have to get rid of one or two of these guys. As it stands, they have nearly no flexibility to even get a point guard unless Conley takes a major pay cut next year.

He better light it up like Kawhi Leonard did for Toronto a few years back.
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 787

Post#80 » by Movics » Mon May 6, 2024 1:47 am

Wallace_Wallace wrote:
Stan wrote:We're really comparing a 22 year old who's won a single playoff series to a top 10-15 player ever? Give me an effing break :lol:

There’s really no guarantee about Ant’s postseason success right after this run. Mike Conley, the team stabilizer, will need a new contract. Without Conley, they could barely make a pass in game 1 (good thing KAT and Reid stepped up). McDaniels and Edwards contracts will kick in, KAT and Gobert still making well over 40m per year. Five players (Ant, KAT, Gobert, Reid & McDaniels) will combine to make 175m next season. We’ll see how MJ he’ll get when the Wolves have to get rid of one or two of these guys. As it stands, they have nearly no flexibility to even get a point guard unless Conley takes a major pay cut next year.

He better light it up like Kawhi Leonard did for Toronto a few years back.

Conley re-signed until ‘25-‘26. His extension is 2/21
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange

Return to The General Board