Ant vs Kobe

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who would you build around in today's league?

Ant
36%
Kobe
64%

Total votes: 138

LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 7,034

Re: Ant vs Kobe 

Post#41 » by LakerLegend » Sun May 5, 2024 1:54 am

One_and_Done wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Calling somebody "one of the top 25 players to ever play" is a pretty positive statement. Of the countless thousands to play ball, he is near the top. Only 20-24 guys are likely better.

lol, name them.

Sure.

Well, to start with I'd say he's got no argument whatever over Lebron, Kareem, Duncan, Jordan, Shaq, Magic, Hakeem, Curry, KG, Jokic, Bird, Giannis, KD, etc. That's 13, so only 7 to go, which is good because there are at least 7 guys left I'd definitely take over him including Dirk, D.Rob, CP3, K.Malone, S.Nash, Luka is on pace, etc. I'd also strongly consider Harden, Wade, Tatum, Butler, and depending on how they finish longevity wise Embiid & Kawhi. Ant is on track to surpass him if he keeps this up for sure.

Silly list, and makes your opinion an outlier and in the minority among both casual and serious fans.
Mbrahv0528
Veteran
And1: 1,319

Post#42 » by Mbrahv0528 » Sun May 5, 2024 1:54 am

Spoken like someone too young to have seen Kobe Bryant play.

Sent from my SM-S928U using RealGM mobile app
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,807

Post#43 » by One_and_Done » Sun May 5, 2024 1:55 am

LakerLegend wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:
lol, name them.

Sure.

Well, to start with I'd say he's got no argument whatever over Lebron, Kareem, Duncan, Jordan, Shaq, Magic, Hakeem, Curry, KG, Jokic, Bird, Giannis, KD, etc. That's 13, so only 7 to go, which is good because there are at least 7 guys left I'd definitely take over him including Dirk, D.Rob, CP3, K.Malone, S.Nash, Luka is on pace, etc. I'd also strongly consider Harden, Wade, Tatum, Butler, and depending on how they finish longevity wise Embiid & Kawhi. Ant is on track to surpass him if he keeps this up for sure.

Silly list, and makes your opinion an outlier and in the minority among both casual and serious fans.

Strong rebuttal. All the locks were clearly above Kobe, as were most of the rest.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 4,058

Post#44 » by bledredwine » Sun May 5, 2024 1:56 am

One_and_Done wrote:
tsherkin wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Kobe during his career was probably the least flexible and adaptable star in the league. It's a big stretch to assume he'd be willing to play a different way.

I think the bigger stretch is you ever allowing yourself to have a positive thought about Kobe, to be honest.

Calling somebody "one of the top 25 players to ever play" is a pretty positive statement. Of the countless thousands to play ball, he is near the top. Only 20-24 guys are likely better.

Here's the obligatory monthly Lebron/Kobe reminder to ground fans back in reality.

https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 7,034

Post#45 » by LakerLegend » Sun May 5, 2024 1:57 am

One_and_Done wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:Sure.

Strong rebuttal. All the locks were clearly above Kobe, as were most of the rest.

If you don't like Kobe and want to go at him based on the merits, go ahead. Just admit it.

We've seen countless posters with this same theme, attack Kobe relentlessly while trying to pretend they are impartial but going to extremes so as to make their agenda obvious.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#46 » by One_and_Done » Sun May 5, 2024 2:02 am

LakerLegend wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:

If you don't like Kobe and want to go at him based on the merits, go ahead. Just admit it.

We've seen countless posters with this same theme, attack Kobe relentlessly while trying to pretend they are impartial but going to extremes so as to make their agenda obvious.

The numbers make it pretty plain who was better. Nash winning 2 MVPs over 1 time winner Kobe in their primes also reinforced it. Kobe's 1 dubious MVP is more typical of what we expect of a top 20ish candidate, not the exalted air you have him in.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,468

Post#47 » by D.Brasco » Sun May 5, 2024 2:05 am

bledredwine wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:
tsherkin wrote:
I think the bigger stretch is you ever allowing yourself to have a positive thought about Kobe, to be honest.

Calling somebody "one of the top 25 players to ever play" is a pretty positive statement. Of the countless thousands to play ball, he is near the top. Only 20-24 guys are likely better.

Here's the obligatory monthly Lebron/Kobe reminder to ground fans back in reality.

Reminder of what exactly? That a 24 year old LeBron gave props to a player he grew up watching.

Do you even know what you are trying to prove with that clip?
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#48 » by One_and_Done » Sun May 5, 2024 4:32 am

Mbrahv0528 wrote:Spoken like someone too young to have seen Kobe Bryant play.

Sent from my SM-S928U using RealGM mobile app

I saw Kobe play. I don't remember many people thinking Kobe was better than Nash in 05 and 06 when he was pantsing him in the MVP vote.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,450

Post#49 » by BigGargamel » Sun May 5, 2024 4:37 am

The Stephen A Smith hot takes going on the past couple of days have really gotten out of control. You guys need to calm down a little bit and just let things play out.

Ant is fantastic and could surpass Kobe one day, but LOL. Kobe played in a different era where isolation was king and the defense was a lot tougher. To think he wouldn't have an improved jump shot and do whatever he wanted to in today's NBA would be silly. The guy could easily average 40 ppg if he played today.

This board really just needs to take a step back, relax and breathe. You guys are being a little nuts. :lol:
socal74
Rookie
And1: 1,257

Post#50 » by socal74 » Sun May 5, 2024 4:46 am

Man this dudes schtick is so ridiculous sometimes that I think he's a Kobe homer that is playing reverse psychology on everybody
Chokic
Senior
And1: 645

Post#51 » by Chokic » Sun May 5, 2024 4:53 am

One of the rare threads on rgm where kobe is winning a poll but then again it's still early.
juju14
Pro Prospect
And1: 389

Post#52 » by juju14 » Sun May 5, 2024 5:42 am

Wallace_Wallace wrote:4 good games get you legendary status? Let me give you a random series. Steve Nash in 2005, averaged 30/6/12 against the Mavs in 6 games on 63.9% TS in a slow paced bad shooting era. That was against one of the legit title contenders in 2005 instead of pretenders in present day Phoenix.

Is he the greatest point guard over Magic and Curry?

Ant plays slow has hell because his team has to big man like early 2000s.
juju14
Pro Prospect
And1: 389

Post#53 » by juju14 » Sun May 5, 2024 5:43 am

Wallace_Wallace wrote:
cpower wrote:players dont beat the law of average , 1 bad game it will all come down...lets stop these similar comparisons remember there was 1 year Mitch avg 40 in playoffs? Where is his MJ comparison now?

He’s not as slick on the mic/interviews. Put KAT on that Utah instead of a bunch of stiffs Utah probably would’ve won the whole thing (the fact they were a #1 seed before).

Delusional. Miych is nowhere near the defender Edwards is.
AbeVigodaLive
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,491

Post#54 » by AbeVigodaLive » Sun May 5, 2024 6:04 am

Talent... or the guy I'd want leading the franchise? I assume a bit of both.

Edwards has a way to go to have a career like Kobe Bryant. But I do marvel at how Edwards has taken over leadership on a team with Gobert, Towns and Conley and none of them have balked along the way.

He sure seems to be hitting all his marks on the court and with his teammates. Hopefully, it continues.
Ice Trae
RealGM
And1: 10,992

Post#55 » by Ice Trae » Sun May 5, 2024 7:08 am

I am absolutely shocked Kobe is actually leading a poll
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach

Post#56 » by One_and_Done » Sun May 5, 2024 7:26 am

Ice Trae wrote:I am absolutely shocked Kobe is actually leading a poll

Well Ant is only 22 in his first 2nd round series. In a few years it'll be very different.
LAvision
Sixth Man
And1: 4,264

Post#57 » by LAvision » Sun May 5, 2024 7:54 am

Kobe really broke peoples brains in this forum. :lol:
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,626

Post#58 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Sun May 5, 2024 12:02 pm

LakerLegend wrote:
D.Brasco wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:
There are many far lesser players than Kobe dominating this league, Ant included.

22 year old Ant compared to 22 yo Kobe, I don't see him being any less than Kobe was at that age and arguably quite ahead tbh. I'm not comparing legacy or accolades but just viewing how both of them looked at the same age.

Kobe at 22 at a lot of analysts/former players saying Kobe was better than Jordan at the same age. No one's saying that about Ant.

MJ was coming off a ridiculous rookie season at 22 where he made the All-NBA 2nd team and was 6th in MVP voting on a crap team and put up WS, BPM, and VORP numbers that Kobe barely touched at any point in his career. Or were you discussing his age 22-23 season when he missed most of the year and then put up legendary playoff performances against a team better than any Kobe ever faced in the playoffs?

People say a lot of stuff and everyone was looking for the next MJ but nobody in their right mind would’ve taken any version of Kobe over any version of Chicago MJ.

This church of Kobe nonsense is absolutely embarrassing. Your favourite player was great but there’s a reason he worshipped the ground that MJ walked on and copied everything his did with that talented Mr Ripley psycho nonsense, and while basketball changed all around him he was loathe to contribute anything original- he even wanted to be like Wizards Mike near the end. There is no scenario where he plays differently. Kobe never got to be as good at anything though, and that’s fine. He was still great.

The reason Kobe brings out such a knee-jerk reaction around here, and every once in a while I’ll get sucked in, is because posters like yourself have been spamming this site with this propaganda for 20+ years and we are sick of it.
Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man
And1: 2,080

Post#59 » by Shaka_Zulu » Sun May 5, 2024 12:11 pm

Its ridicolous to me people keep taking this OPs kobe troll baits. He has made multiple threads like these lol.

The flavour of the month is Ant so he keeps being dragged into the troll materials.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,626

Post#60 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Sun May 5, 2024 12:41 pm

Shaka_Zulu wrote:Its ridicolous to me people keep taking this OPs kobe troll baits. He has made multiple threads like these lol.

The flavour of the month is Ant so he keeps being dragged into the troll materials.

It’s just not that big of a troll job though. You’re allowed to compare players to Kobe, it’s not sacrilege. Guys like Shai and Ant are closer to Kobe than Kobe got to Mike.

Return to The General Board