If Denver wants to repeat, Jokic has to step up...

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,475

Re: If Denver wants to repeat, Jokic has to step up... 

Post#101 » by og15 » Mon May 6, 2024 5:12 pm

sikma42 wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:
Jasen777 wrote:He had a bad game. It happens.

It’s crazy that 32/8/9 is a bad game, but yeah I guess by his standards it was.

8 assists isn’t good with 8 turnovers. 32 points isn’t really impressive on the efficiency. It’s just not a good game buy any superstar standards. It’s not some Jokic thing.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

9 assists and 7 turnovers, not that it changes anything, but certainly, the slash lines aren't the only thing as if it's Westbrook, there would be more focus on the shooting percentages and turnovers. It's a relatively "bad" game.

life_saver wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:The Wolves are selling out to stop Jokic, the only Nugget they fear.

What that means is that if the Denver Others don't step up, the party is over.

it's actually fascinating at how Wolves are defending the Jokic-Murray 2 man game. KAT is just totally focused on Jokic and rarely even paying attention to Murray in those PnR plays.They just don't want ball in Jokic hands and making decisions during those Jokic-Murray plays
It's a very good defensive strategy. Taking Gobert off Jokic and putting him on Gordon allows him to be a roamer as you are content leaving Aaron Gordon open outside. On the roll as long as the primary defender stays connected, you can push Murray into the mid-range and then Gobert can take away the baseline as well as contest.

It's a great plan. Denver made some adjustments in game such as having a shooter on the near side leaving less help on the opposite side. Either way, this takes out a lot of situations where Jokic can catch on the middle of the floor against a moving defense and make decisions to shoot, pass, etc where e's just too deadly.

The Lakers actually attempted the same thing using Rui on Jokic and the Sixers with PJ on Jokic, both allowing Davis and Embiid to roam, but neither of those teams had the overall length and defensive talent of the Wolves.

It's going to be a fun series seeing how the chess match works.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,869

Post#102 » by dhsilv2 » Mon May 6, 2024 5:23 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:Its literally one game.

If Anthony Edwards keeps putting up 40 points, then yes the Nuggets will be in serious trouble.

Nah that's not really the issue. The issue was they didn't have a counter to Gobert. Gobert just put on a master class in that game and the nuggets had no counter to him.

Give me a break. Jokic slaughtered Gobert last year and he will do it again.

Jokic has nothing to do with my statement. Gobert put on a master class against the Nuggets as a team. I'm rooting for the Nuggets in this one so I hope Jokic can play better. But the nuggets have to counter what Gobert is doing, not Jokic.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#103 » by dhsilv2 » Mon May 6, 2024 5:29 pm

MarcusBrody wrote:
brutalitops wrote:He wasn't too bad. "Has to play better" kinda ignores that typicality the nuggets can isolate a smaller defender on him and he can just shoot over the top or he can just go to the floater. Doesn't really work when your switching and you have the smaller big in KAT's 7 foot long ass putting his arms up.

He was big. I don't think the turnovers hurt as much. 3 2/3 were floaters which the wolves drop defenders managed to disrupt. It's either that or a missed floater?

It's the fact they got nothing off the bench. Wolves had Naz Reid come on and the nuggets really didn't adjust to his speed and he managed to get some easy points in a tough grinding game

Which is weird since the. Nuggets bench had a good +/- and wolves had a terrible one.

I was super impressed with the Wolves (and especially Gobert's) ability to disrupt that lob after coming up as the help defender. That's a Nuggets bread and butter play and the Wolves did a great job on it. I'm eager to see what the Nuggets do to counter and whether they can get Gordon moving at different angles to make it less predictable/harder to get defender/momentum wise.

How the Nuggets can create gravity for Gordon I think will decide this series.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,790

Post#104 » by sikma42 » Mon May 6, 2024 5:40 pm

Gobert is questionable for tonight, looks like his wife is having a baby. Denver might luck out.

Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,604

Post#105 » by Alatan » Mon May 6, 2024 6:07 pm

Id really love to see this Nuggets squad without Jokic with an average C replacement. Heck id like to see them with Sabonis or Sengun as they play a similar role on their respective teams.
Then we would really see who Murray, Gordon and MPJ are. Im so tired of people spewing nonsense how they are some crazy good supporting cast...

That being said, if Jokic hopes of winning this series he needs to actually hard carry this team instead of trying to get Murray "going". Murray is a lost cause. Use him as you would use Reggie Jackson.
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,818

Post#106 » by TinmanZBoy » Mon May 6, 2024 6:11 pm

sikma42 wrote:Gobert is questionable for tonight, looks like his wife is having a baby. Denver might luck out.

Your pipe dream… cue FVV in 2019
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#107 » by dhsilv2 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:53 pm

og15 wrote:
It's going to be a fun series seeing how the chess match works.

I've really been looking to see how this will play out since the playoffs were announced. The wolves were just built to challenge this Nugget's offense and it's absolutely going to be critical for the nuggets to come up with a bunch of counters as I can't just see them shooting their way out of the wolve's defensive sets.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#108 » by dhsilv2 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:55 pm

sikma42 wrote:Gobert is questionable for tonight, looks like his wife is having a baby. Denver might luck out.

Damn...I'm not even sure how I feel about this.
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,384

Post#109 » by hardenASG13 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:02 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
You're just talking nonsense. What does "jokic supposed to be the counter" even mean?

Yes, Gobert was the best player in that game. He absolutely dominated the game. The wolves won because the Nuggets were held under 100 points, largely due to Gobert completely shutting down the paint for the Nuggets as a whole. Not any one player...but the whole team. You counter that with shooting from outside, not by trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole.

This doesn't negate that Edwards also had a great game, but he's going to be called on to do that because his skills and abilities would be hard to counter with how the Nuggets defense plays. So the nuggets are likely to allow him to continue having these big games...they have to find a way to score more points. That remains their issue, not that Edwards got 40. Denver can give up 106 points a game to the wolves and win the series just fine. They aren't win the series scoring 99.

Jokic is supposed to be the counter means he's supposed to be playing this GOAT basketball. A defender or team concept shouldn't be able to take him out of his game so much as it did in game 1. He's supposed to be the one who elevates his teams offense, raises teammates confidence, leads with his energy. They took away the normal passes he likes to make and he was frazzled. He didn't want to take some shots. He needs to lead, bring energy, and figure out how to be the counter to what Minny is doing. In my opinion, based on game 1 and minnesotas strategy, that would mean looking to score more and bringing some energy his team and the crowd can get behind. He didn't make that recognition in game 1, and it resulted in crushing turnovers that cost them the game.

None of this means anything. This is all feelings and emotions.

Jokic needs to take better care of the ball. His team needs to figure out how to better incorporate Aaron Gordon against the Wolve's defense. They also need to figure out how to deal with Murray's poor play if it continues. But no "GOAT" player is supposed to abandon playing winning ball which it sounds like you want. Jokic isn't a GOAT level offensive player on his scoring alone. But no player considered to be in the GOAT tier doesn't have far worse playoff games than this. And they all needed their teammates and coaches to work together to create counters to allowed them to play their best ball. And every GOAT level player has been impacted negatively by great defense.

These adjustments and changes don't always happen intragame like you're implying you expected.

So, yeah..........it turns out my feelings and emotions were right. That was embarrassing! No Gobert, no problem. Jokic had zero fight, energy, or leadership. His stuff is too slow against this defensive pressure. His defense was beyond exposed.

This is what I've been trying to tell you and many others, all year. Last year they played nobody, and you all put him on this ridiculous pedastool. There are people in this very thread quadrupling down that he's the best player we've ever seen (Last night put an end to that, if you have any clue what you're watching. Not because of his numbers or the score......you can just see it)! He cant jump or get back on defense, his offensive game is a bunch or handoffs and passes where he should probably be looking to score.

I've been saying since mideseason that teams like OKC, Minny, Boston, etc. are better than any team Denver faced last year (because I have an eye test and it's been very clear), to be met with heavy criticism. Now they are a playing a quality team for the first time in 2 years, and Jokic has been embarrassing through 2 games. Zero passion or leadership, while edwards confidence is oozing through his whole team. He needs to step up.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#110 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:49 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:
Jokic is supposed to be the counter means he's supposed to be playing this GOAT basketball. A defender or team concept shouldn't be able to take him out of his game so much as it did in game 1. He's supposed to be the one who elevates his teams offense, raises teammates confidence, leads with his energy. They took away the normal passes he likes to make and he was frazzled. He didn't want to take some shots. He needs to lead, bring energy, and figure out how to be the counter to what Minny is doing. In my opinion, based on game 1 and minnesotas strategy, that would mean looking to score more and bringing some energy his team and the crowd can get behind. He didn't make that recognition in game 1, and it resulted in crushing turnovers that cost them the game.

Jokic needs to take better care of the ball. His team needs to figure out how to better incorporate Aaron Gordon against the Wolve's defense. They also need to figure out how to deal with Murray's poor play if it continues. But no "GOAT" player is supposed to abandon playing winning ball which it sounds like you want. Jokic isn't a GOAT level offensive player on his scoring alone. But no player considered to be in the GOAT tier doesn't have far worse playoff games than this. And they all needed their teammates and coaches to work together to create counters to allowed them to play their best ball. And every GOAT level player has been impacted negatively by great defense.

These adjustments and changes don't always happen intragame like you're implying you expected.

So, yeah..........it turns out my feelings and emotions were right. That was embarrassing! No Gobert, no problem. Jokic had zero fight, energy, or leadership. His stuff is too slow against this defensive pressure. His defense was beyond exposed.

This is what I've been trying to tell you and many others, all year. Last year they played nobody, and you all put him on this ridiculous pedastool. There are people in this very thread quadrupling down that he's the best player we've ever seen (Last night put an end to that, if you have any clue what you're watching. Not because of his numbers or the score......you can just see it)! He cant jump or get back on defense, his offensive game is a bunch or handoffs and passes where he should probably be looking to score.

I've been saying since mideseason that teams like OKC, Minny, Boston, etc. are better than any team Denver faced last year (because I have an eye test and it's been very clear), to be met with heavy criticism. Now they are a playing a quality team for the first time in 2 years, and Jokic has been embarrassing through 2 games. Zero passion or leadership, while edwards confidence is oozing through his whole team. He needs to step up.

You can just keep being wrong...

One game doesn't change things with a player
hardenASG13
Analyst

Post#111 » by hardenASG13 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:56 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Lol I'm not the one who's wrong here. The best part is it's been an ongoing argument, not a 1 game reaction.

I've been saying 1 title, against a terrible path, doesn't change things with a player. Oh he beat the injured twolves, a terrible Suns team, the old Lakers (who aren't good anymore), and an 8 seed missing their second leading scorer who played over their heads for 2 and a half rounds! It means he's playing the best basketball I've ever seen lol.

Your whole Gobert thing is out the Window. What I said about his leadership going into game 2 was extremely evident. It's been the case, just wasn't tested in last years fluke.
Ssj16
Junior
And1: 565

Post#112 » by Ssj16 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:57 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:

If you weren't a Harden fan criticizing a player about lack of leadership and passion, maybe I could take these post a little more serious. Jokic is definitely having a sub par series against the Wolves but between last year's playoff run and his first series against the Lakers, if you watched the Nuggets play and thought that Jokic showed lack of intensity or leadership, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I guess it would have been better if he was bounced in the first round so he could go enjoy the strip clubs in Denver.
hardenASG13
Analyst

Post#113 » by hardenASG13 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:08 pm

Ssj16 wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

If you weren't a Harden fan criticizing a player about lack of leadership and passion, maybe I could take these post a little more serious. Jokic is definitely having a sub par series against the Wolves but between last year's playoff run and his first series against the Lakers, if you watched the Nuggets play and thought that Jokic showed lack of intensity or leadership, I'm not sure what to tell you.

I guess it would have been better if he was bounced in the first round so he could go enjoy the strip clubs in Denver.

I'm not a Harden fan, just made the screen name as an OKC fan in 2012, predicting he'd be an all star the next season. He was, just for the wrong team. I haven't followed him closely at all since that trade.

I'm not a Jokic hater either, just call things I see. Intensity and leadership aren't measured when you have the clearly better team, not for MVP players. It's what you do when you get up against an even, or better team, that separates the greats. It's why KD, for example, gets little credit for winning 2 titles with Golden State. Last year none of the teams Denver faced had a chance against them, none of them were good teams. I've been saying since mideseason I can't wait to see him play a team like Minny, OKC, Boston, etc., as they are better than anyone they faced last year. Now I'm seeing it and he's completely bombing. His lack of passion is trickling down through his whole team.
Ssj16
Junior

Post#114 » by Ssj16 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:26 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:
Ssj16 wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:

I'm not a Harden fan, just made the screen name as an OKC fan in 2012, predicting he'd be an all star the next season. He was, just for the wrong team. I haven't followed him closely at all since that trade.

I'm not a Jokic hater either, just call things I see. Intensity and leadership aren't measured when you have the clearly better team, not for MVP players. It's what you do when you get up against an even, or better team, that separates the greats. It's why KD, for example, gets little credit for winning 2 titles with Golden State. Last year none of the teams Denver faced had a chance against them, none of them were good teams. I've been saying since mideseason I can't wait to see him play a team like Minny, OKC, Boston, etc., as they are better than anyone they faced last year. Now I'm seeing it and he's completely bombing. His lack of passion is trickling down through his whole team.

Again lack of credibility. Denver won the regular season matches against both the Wolves and Boston this year and they had a better regular season than the Wolves overall. This just sounds more like you hoped they would lose to those teams as the regular season and the past seasons were not indicative that the Wolves or Boston would be favored over Denver.

I'll leave OKC out of the discussion since they actually beat Denver 3-0 in their series matchup and are the number 1 seed over Denver.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#115 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:26 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:

Lol I'm not the one who's wrong here. The best part is it's been an ongoing argument, not a 1 game reaction.

I've been saying 1 title, against a terrible path, doesn't change things with a player. Oh he beat the injured twolves, a terrible Suns team, the old Lakers (who aren't good anymore), and an 8 seed missing their second leading scorer who played over their heads for 2 and a half rounds! It means he's playing the best basketball I've ever seen lol.

Your whole Gobert thing is out the Window. What I said about his leadership going into game 2 was extremely evident. It's been the case, just wasn't tested in last years fluke.

How does my assessment of game 1 change?
hardenASG13
Analyst

Post#116 » by hardenASG13 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:34 pm

Ssj16 wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:
Ssj16 wrote:

Again lack of credibility. Denver won the regular season matches against both the Wolves and Boston this year and they had a better regular season than the Wolves overall. This just sounds more like you hoped they would lose to those teams as the regular season and the past seasons were not indicative that the Wolves or Boston would be favored over Denver.

I'll leave OKC out of the discussion since they actually beat Denver 3-0 in their series matchup and are the number 1 seed over Denver.

We talking about the regular season haha?! I saw the flaws despite the historically weak run of opponents Jokic and Denver beat last year. Questioned it, was argued against for the last several months.....and now maybe others are starting to see it too.
hardenASG13
Analyst

Post#117 » by hardenASG13 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:35 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

It doesn't have to. It was just wrong. There was no masterclass by Gobert in game 2, and the results for Jokic were worse. It's a Jokic problem.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,770

Post#118 » by homecourtloss » Tue May 7, 2024 1:35 pm

1993Playoffs wrote:Jokic is treated with Kid gloves in this site.

That’s what happens when a good chunk of his “fans” simply support him and use him for other purposes in broader arguments against a certain other player (hint: he’s currently 39 years old) like you see here in this thread with a poster who has posted about this other player 5+ times in this thread and seemingly all his posts are about that other player.

That said, Jokic is too good to go down without a fight, but he played two poor games, especially defensively.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#119 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:44 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:

It doesn't have to. It was just wrong. There was no masterclass by Gobert in game 2, and the results for Jokic were worse. It's a Jokic problem.

It's a Denver problem...
Ssj16
Junior

Post#120 » by Ssj16 » Tue May 7, 2024 4:47 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:
Ssj16 wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:

We talking about the regular season haha?! I saw the flaws despite the historically weak run of opponents Jokic and Denver beat last year. Questioned it, was argued against for the last several months.....and now maybe others are starting to see it too.

Lol, you're the type of person who would say Denver beat easy competition in the playoffs and point to their regular season if Denver came out on top. Anyways there's no winning with people like you. If you at least admitted that you were a hater, I honestly wouldn't care, I've been there many times as a sports fan.

But this feels like a broken clock is right twice a day if one of your predictions end up being right when not only do you think Denver is going to lose teams who they've owned, you discredit all of their wins.

Return to The General Board