So now ESPN is pushing their guys for jobs with the Lakers!

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

WuriderX
Junior
And1: 404

So now ESPN is pushing their guys for jobs with the Lakers! 

Post#1 » by WuriderX » Sun May 5, 2024 9:13 am

JJ Reddick is now a hot candidate? Based on what? They have a so called "win now" team but they want to hand the keys to a guy with no experience. As much as I dislike Mark Jackson, he primed the Warriors for Kerr. Then you got Stephen A campaigning for Bob Meyers to be the GM for the Lakers. They continue to cross the line.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,406

Re: So now ESPN is pushing their guys for jobs with the Lakers! 

Post#2 » by Mr Peanut » Sun May 5, 2024 9:28 am

The Lakers are the darling child of ESPN so naturally they would push the narrative of their own people as candidates for jobs within the organization. I think the Redick interest may also be speculated due to his podcast with LeBron.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,154

Post#3 » by UcanUwill » Sun May 5, 2024 9:36 am

JJ was coaching candidate for Raptors last year, I assume he is trying to get in, and some teams at least show interest. This is not ESPN thing...
NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,745

Post#4 » by NbaAllDay » Sun May 5, 2024 10:23 am

Relax mate nit everything is a conspiracy for Lebron or the Lakers.
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Analyst
And1: 6,896

Post#5 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Sun May 5, 2024 10:26 am

JJ is a finalist for Hornets coach gig too isn’t he?
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,639

Post#6 » by shi-woo » Sun May 5, 2024 10:34 am

I love JJ, but would be very hesitant to give him a job, especially if he didn't have a few years of assistant coaching under his belt. He's probably the biggest basketball personality outside of the guys on the actual court at this point, and has a very cush set up going to 99.9% of retired players would kill for. He's essentially the Joe Rogan of basketball, having he podcast, and getting to go to all the games.

Would be interesting for him to walk away from all that to go deal with the stresses of coaching, especially a team like LA where you know you're essentially fired in a few years, either for not winning, or being handed a trash team when LEBron retures.

As I mentioned in the coaching threads lately, the NBA coaching circles is the most talented it's ever been, and 2 of the arguably best coaches (Stevens and Budz) aren't even coaching right now. Guys like Ime, Pop, Kerr, Jenkins, andHardy didn't even make the playoffs this year.

JJ would have to show something incredible in interviews other than "Dudes think i'm chill and the casual fan thinks i'm smart" for me to even consider him

Bob Myers I can understand, he just fumbled the bad like all GM's seem to do when they have a championship roster that has the opportunity to actually draft solid talent. H's young, and very well liked, which is the most important part of being a GM. He def. deserves a shot, especially over someone like Pelika. The guy didn't draft The Splash brothers, but every move he made up until 2020 Wiseman pick was spot on, and some creative GM'sing.

Getting Bogut. Trading Lee. Firing MArc and hiring Kerr, Drafted Green and Looney, the Iggy trade was a masterclass, the KD signing, the KD sign and trade was incredible in retrospect and a masterclass in GMing, the Russel trade for Wiggins another great trade. Really once the pandemic hit, and they drafted Wiseman it all went to piss, but they still somehow managed to win it all in 2022, his moves being the biggest reason why.

Myers should be getting GM jobs :lol:
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,434

Post#7 » by brutalitops » Sun May 5, 2024 10:42 am

shi-woo wrote:I love JJ, but would be very hesitant to give him a job, especially if he didn't have a few years of assistant coaching under his belt. He's probably the biggest basketball personality outside of the guys on the actual court at this point, and has a very cush set up going to 99.9% of retired players would kill for. He's essentially the Joe Rogan of basketball, having he podcast, and getting to go to all the games.

Would be interesting for him to walk away from all that to go deal with the stresses of coaching, especially a team like LA where you know you're essentially fired in a few years, either for not winning, or being handed a trash team when LEBron retures.

As I mentioned in the coaching threads lately, the NBA coaching circles is the most talented it's ever been, and 2 of the arguably best coaches (Stevens and Budz) aren't even coaching right now. Guys like Ime, Pop, Kerr, Jenkins, andHardy didn't even make the playoffs this year.

JJ would have to show something incredible in interviews other than "Dudes think i'm chill and the casual fan thinks i'm smart" for me to even consider him

Bob Myers I can understand, he just fumbled the bad like all GM's seem to do when they have a championship roster that has the opportunity to actually draft solid talent. H's young, and very well liked, which is the most important part of being a GM. He def. deserves a shot, especially over someone like Pelika. The guy didn't draft The Splash brothers, but every move he made up until 2020 Wiseman pick was spot on, and some creative GM'sing.

Getting Bogut. Trading Lee. Firing MArc and hiring Kerr, Drafted Green and Looney, the Iggy trade was a masterclass, the KD signing, the KD sign and trade was incredible in retrospect and a masterclass in GMing, the Russel trade for Wiggins another great trade. Really once the pandemic hit, and they drafted Wiseman it all went to piss, but they still somehow managed to win it all in 2022, his moves being the biggest reason why.

How the **** do you turn ESPN pushing for JJ Reddick coaching the Lakers to a fanfiction about wanting to Blow Myers? It's impressive.

Ham not the issue. You now have a 40 year old LeBron AD+Reaves and will churn through a completely different back court and expect results from a first year head coach hire. I get re-setting but cleaning out half the roster every year and the coach every other year won't work.
return to glory
Freshman
And1: 24

Post#8 » by return to glory » Sun May 5, 2024 10:46 am

If that's true, Kendrick Perkins would be a perfect candidate for the Laker's GM and head coaching jobs.
Learning the art of KI
SportsGuru08
Pro Prospect
And1: 721

Post#9 » by SportsGuru08 » Sun May 5, 2024 10:55 am

WuriderX wrote:JJ Reddick is now a hot candidate? Based on what? They have a so called "win now" team but they want to hand the keys to a guy with no experience. As much as I dislike Mark Jackson, he primed the Warriors for Kerr. Then you got Stephen A campaigning for Bob Meyers to be the GM for the Lakers. They continue to cross the line.

JJ is sure to be another LeBron puppet. Of course ESPN wants him to be hired.
One Last Shot
Starter
And1: 2,912

Post#10 » by One Last Shot » Sun May 5, 2024 11:06 am

brutalitops wrote:
shi-woo wrote:I love JJ, but would be very hesitant to give him a job, especially if he didn't have a few years of assistant coaching under his belt. He's probably the biggest basketball personality outside of the guys on the actual court at this point, and has a very cush set up going to 99.9% of retired players would kill for. He's essentially the Joe Rogan of basketball, having he podcast, and getting to go to all the games.

How the **** do you turn ESPN pushing for JJ Reddick coaching the Lakers to a fanfiction about wanting to Blow Myers? It's impressive.

Ham not the issue. You now have a 40 year old LeBron AD+Reaves and will churn through a completely different back court and expect results from a first year head coach hire. I get re-setting but cleaning out half the roster every year and the coach every other year won't work.

Salute to Coach Ham, he's not the issue.

Read on Twitter
Ito
General Manager
And1: 808

Post#11 » by Ito » Sun May 5, 2024 11:09 am

return to glory wrote:If that's true, Kendrick Perkins would be a perfect candidate for the Laker's GM and head coaching jobs.

:lol:
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,470

Post#12 » by Slava » Sun May 5, 2024 12:00 pm

They got Doc in with Milwaukee but I don’t think it’s lakers thing. The people who are without a job and want one tend to stick around doing media. The ones who moved on just go about their lives playing golf and living in a sunny place.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 3,947

Post#13 » by hauntedcomputer » Sun May 5, 2024 12:11 pm

Hollywood.
Not a serious basketball move.
Perfect for the cash-out of the Lebron Retirement Tour Decade, though.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,295

Post#14 » by KembaWalker » Sun May 5, 2024 12:23 pm

JJ will go on his podcast and say some extremely dumb **** like “just run a Gortat screen every time down it’s impossible to stop” and fans that just learned what a Gortat screen was 30 seconds prior will be like “Yesss!! exactly! Hire this man!”
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 422

Post#15 » by The-Stallion70 » Sun May 5, 2024 12:34 pm

ESPN is an embarrassment to society
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,934

Post#16 » by nikster » Sun May 5, 2024 12:41 pm

All they did is interview him. He's also been interviewed for the Raptors and Horents. Don't why this is turning into some ESPN conspiracy
toodarkmark
Sophomore
And1: 508

Post#17 » by toodarkmark » Sun May 5, 2024 1:07 pm

Anti-Lebron mental illness has people really thinking that ESPN executives are trying to push a guy who is a commentator to be a coach with the Lakers, which these same mentally ill people think ESPN somehow favors.

Here are some facts.

1) Lakers have been one of the most popular and successful teams in the NBA for more than 60 years. Long before ESPN existed. They are still a draw. The NBA, ESPN, and every corporation in the NBA business wants huge fantasy teams like the Lakers, Celtics and Knicks to be successful because it helps them make money. Professional sports and broadcasting are businesses.

2. ESPN would fire JJ Reddick tomorrow. They don't care about him. There is no "pushing" or you would see some news release promoting him to the position.

3. Coaches can be former NBA players who are commentators. It happens. It's been happening for more than 60 years too. JJ Reddick could be the next Steve Kerr or Nate McMillan, this is a completely rational concept.

I wish these Anti Lebron Mentall Ill people would get help. There's perceived conspiracy or negativity in every moment. They literally turn an ex NBA player who is a commentator that is a candidate for a coaching job into some sort of political conspiracy theory. It borders on certain delusional political movements of our time.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,466

Post#18 » by og15 » Sun May 5, 2024 1:14 pm

JJ has been entering into the coaching discussions before this, and it's good to interview and see how the process works to get the interview experience.

Who ESPN "pushes" wouldn't affect who a team choses, so I'm not even sure why it would matter even if they were "pushing" anyone. When did ESPN become the arbitrator of coaching decisions that a team would be like, "well ESPN is pushing this guy". Essentially, even if they were, who cares? It's pretty irrelevant.
Rendei
Sixth Man
And1: 2,528

Post#19 » by Rendei » Sun May 5, 2024 1:16 pm

If the Lakers let ESPN influence who they select as their next coach, that's on them.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,161

Post#20 » by HMFFL » Sun May 5, 2024 1:37 pm

return to glory wrote:If that's true, Kendrick Perkins would be a perfect candidate for the Laker's GM and head coaching jobs.
You must be out of your mind. I'd love for you to elaborate.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Return to The General Board