So now ESPN is pushing their guys for jobs with the Lakers!

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,955

Re: So now ESPN is pushing their guys for jobs with the Lakers! 

Post#21 » by Uncle Mxy » Sun May 5, 2024 2:21 pm

"It's hard to get Coach Woj off the phone."
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#22 » by WentzerWuver » Sun May 5, 2024 2:33 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:The Lakers are the darling child of ESPN so naturally they would push the narrative of their own people as candidates for jobs within the organization. I think the Redick interest may also be speculated due to his podcast with LeBron.
Doesn't matter, no one in the history of the league has EVER hired an HC with no bench experience whatsoever. He hasn't even been an assistant at any level unlike every other hire to show if they even enjoy doing it all the preparation that is required.

JJ just criticized Ham on podcast like many do, so that makes him qualified?

Even Ty Lue spent 5 years as an assistant coach in the NBA including as top assistant, so he bide his time knowing he loves coaching and not making fun of coaches on podcast Lol

This is how JJ will coach the Lakers...
https://youtube.com/shorts/52700IHJcwM?si=exryA8sw-peIThAl
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,712

Post#23 » by shi-woo » Sun May 5, 2024 2:36 pm

brutalitops wrote:
shi-woo wrote:I love JJ, but would be very hesitant to give him a job, especially if he didn't have a few years of assistant coaching under his belt. He's probably the biggest basketball personality outside of the guys on the actual court at this point, and has a very cush set up going to 99.9% of retired players would kill for. He's essentially the Joe Rogan of basketball, having he podcast, and getting to go to all the games.

Would be interesting for him to walk away from all that to go deal with the stresses of coaching, especially a team like LA where you know you're essentially fired in a few years, either for not winning, or being handed a trash team when LEBron retures.

As I mentioned in the coaching threads lately, the NBA coaching circles is the most talented it's ever been, and 2 of the arguably best coaches (Stevens and Budz) aren't even coaching right now. Guys like Ime, Pop, Kerr, Jenkins, andHardy didn't even make the playoffs this year.

JJ would have to show something incredible in interviews other than "Dudes think i'm chill and the casual fan thinks i'm smart" for me to even consider him

Bob Myers I can understand, he just fumbled the bad like all GM's seem to do when they have a championship roster that has the opportunity to actually draft solid talent. H's young, and very well liked, which is the most important part of being a GM. He def. deserves a shot, especially over someone like Pelika. The guy didn't draft The Splash brothers, but every move he made up until 2020 Wiseman pick was spot on, and some creative GM'sing.

Getting Bogut. Trading Lee. Firing MArc and hiring Kerr, Drafted Green and Looney, the Iggy trade was a masterclass, the KD signing, the KD sign and trade was incredible in retrospect and a masterclass in GMing, the Russel trade for Wiggins another great trade. Really once the pandemic hit, and they drafted Wiseman it all went to piss, but they still somehow managed to win it all in 2022, his moves being the biggest reason why.

Myers should be getting GM jobs :lol:

How the **** do you turn ESPN pushing for JJ Reddick coaching the Lakers to a fanfiction about wanting to Blow Myers? It's impressive.

Ham not the issue. You now have a 40 year old LeBron AD+Reaves and will churn through a completely different back court and expect results from a first year head coach hire. I get re-setting but cleaning out half the roster every year and the coach every other year won't work.

Did you even read the OP? Bob Myers was explicitly mentioned as getting campaigned for the Lakers GM job :banghead:

And yes, I mentioned his credentials, because unlike JJ he actually has some :lol: And it's those type of crafty moves certain teams need to actually get out of the swamp they put themselves in.
Bloodbather
Junior
And1: 501

Post#24 » by Bloodbather » Sun May 5, 2024 2:47 pm

Let's not act like JJ Redick is Tommy Alter to LeBron's JJ Redick in that podcast and the podcast is the only reason he's being mentioned. JJ has built up a reputation as a basketball nerd with strong communication skills, and he's not just some "podcast host," he's an ex-player with a ton of experience under his belt. His analytics-conscious approach to analysis probably makes him attractive to front offices, also. He's already done interviews with the Raptors and the Hornets.

The argument that he lacks experience as an assistant coach and the Lakers head coaching job would be too big for him is a sound one, so I'm not saying he's a great candidate or whatever, but let's be fair here.

If I was the Lakers, I'd go for a big coaching figure, like Mike D'Antoni or Jay Wright, and have him develop his heir.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,353

Post#25 » by kodo » Sun May 5, 2024 2:50 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:Doesn't matter, no one in the history of the league has EVER hired an HC with no bench experience whatsoever. He hasn't even been an assistant at any level unlike every other hire to show if they even enjoy doing it all the preparation that is required.

Steve Kerr, but that only happened because Phil Jackson wanted him badly, and that dispelled any fears from other GMs (and PJ ended up being right).

But yeah it's extremely rare for a team with title aspirations to hire someone with 0 coaching exp of any kind. I'd also be surprised if JJ gets this job with Lebron's window being so short.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,618

Post#26 » by JRoy » Sun May 5, 2024 2:57 pm

Might as well get paid by the object of their adoration.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Mephariel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,696

Post#27 » by Mephariel » Sun May 5, 2024 4:36 pm

Bloodbather wrote:Let's not act like JJ Redick is Tommy Alter to LeBron's JJ Redick in that podcast and the podcast is the only reason he's being mentioned. JJ has built up a reputation as a basketball nerd with strong communication skills, and he's not just some "podcast host," he's an ex-player with a ton of experience under his belt. His analytics-conscious approach to analysis probably makes him attractive to front offices, also. He's already done interviews with the Raptors and the Hornets.

The argument that he lacks experience as an assistant coach and the Lakers head coaching job would be too big for him is a sound one, so I'm not saying he's a great candidate or whatever, but let's be fair here.

If I was the Lakers, I'd go for a big coaching figure, like Mike D'Antoni or Jay Wright, and have him develop his heir.

What is people's obsession with Mike D'Antoni? He is 72 years old and hasn't done well in his last coaching job.
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,867

Post#28 » by jkvonny » Sun May 5, 2024 9:09 pm

Next Laker coach will be JJ.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,478

Post#29 » by itrsteve » Sun May 5, 2024 10:31 pm

shhhhhhiiiii

I'd love to see JJ lead them to an in-season tournament trophy
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,580

Post#30 » by dygaction » Sun May 5, 2024 10:39 pm

Steven A Smith for GM, Perkins for head coach, and Keyshawn Johnson for assistant coach.
Too bad they might have to wait another year for Doc to replace Bob Pelinka as VP for Basketball Operation or replace Perkins.
LaLover11
Sixth Man
And1: 990

Post#31 » by LaLover11 » Sun May 5, 2024 10:42 pm

Coach K
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,249

Post#32 » by Lalouie » Sun May 5, 2024 10:58 pm

espn can say anyone they want. it's not it's neck on the line

i'll consider someone's candidate if it's his neck
adubmac
Junior
And1: 669

Post#33 » by adubmac » Sun May 5, 2024 11:03 pm

kodo wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:Doesn't matter, no one in the history of the league has EVER hired an HC with no bench experience whatsoever. He hasn't even been an assistant at any level unlike every other hire to show if they even enjoy doing it all the preparation that is required.

Steve Kerr, but that only happened because Phil Jackson wanted him badly, and that dispelled any fears from other GMs (and PJ ended up being right).

But yeah it's extremely rare for a team with title aspirations to hire someone with 0 coaching exp of any kind. I'd also be surprised if JJ gets this job with Lebron's window being so short.

Doc Rivers, Steve Nash, Derek Fisher, Jason Kidd, Vinny Del Negro, Kevin McHale, Isiah Thomas, Larry Bird, ML Carr, Magic Johnson, Quinn Buckner, Dan Issel, Dick Van Arsdale and Paul Silas.
holy wack unlyrical lyrics
Adelheid
RealGM
And1: 6,988

Post#34 » by Adelheid » Sun May 5, 2024 11:04 pm

JJ needs to have a considerable amount years of coaching experience. Too early for him for a hc gig
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,120

Post#35 » by tmorgan » Sun May 5, 2024 11:05 pm

HMFFL wrote:
return to glory wrote:If that's true, Kendrick Perkins would be a perfect candidate for the Laker's GM and head coaching jobs.
You must be out of your mind. I'd love for you to elaborate.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app

That’s easy. The poster dislikes the Lakers and wants them to do something extremely stupid to shoot themselves in the foot. Perk is a clueless tree stump.

Check your sarcasm detector, it needs new batteries.
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,447

Post#36 » by Mr Peanut » Mon May 6, 2024 8:28 am

adubmac wrote:
kodo wrote:

Doc Rivers, Steve Nash, Derek Fisher, Jason Kidd, Vinny Del Negro, Kevin McHale, Isiah Thomas, Larry Bird, ML Carr, Magic Johnson, Quinn Buckner, Dan Issel, Dick Van Arsdale and Paul Silas.

Thanks for posting this. After I read his comment the immediate names that sprang to mind were Steve Nash, Derek Fisher and Jason Kidd but I knew there would be more.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#37 » by WentzerWuver » Mon May 6, 2024 9:10 am

Bloodbather wrote:Let's not act like JJ Redick is Tommy Alter to LeBron's JJ Redick in that podcast and the podcast is the only reason he's being mentioned. JJ has built up a reputation as a basketball nerd with strong communication skills, and he's not just some "podcast host," he's an ex-player with a ton of experience under his belt. His analytics-conscious approach to analysis probably makes him attractive to front offices, also. He's already done interviews with the Raptors and the Hornets.

D'Antoni already been fired as a LAL coach cause he doesn't care about defense, just out scoring his opponents.

Didn't you get the memo?
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,906

Post#38 » by Froob » Mon May 6, 2024 10:40 am

Reddick would be a fool to take that job unless he wants four years of pay for two years of work

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
foreigngrammar
Pro Prospect
And1: 473

Post#39 » by foreigngrammar » Mon May 6, 2024 10:57 am

20 years of Basketball brilliance and guys can't still spell his name :lol:
foreigngrammar
Pro Prospect
And1: 473

Post#40 » by foreigngrammar » Mon May 6, 2024 10:57 am

Anyone?

Return to The General Board