OT: How Often Do You Play?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,929

OT: How Often Do You Play? 

Post#1 » by chrismikayla » Sun May 5, 2024 12:53 pm

I’m in my late 40s and play/shoot around 5-6 days per week. I was unable to play for a while due to back/knee pain after gaining a ton of weight a few years ago. I’ve lost 55 pounds and am now 185 at just over 6 feet. Since losing my joint pain has pretty much disappeared unless I push it. Last week I played 7 days in a row, sometimes twice in one day lol. Now my knees (osteoarthritis) are feeling it. I’m thinking maybe not play competitively back to back days and shoot around on “off” days. For my over 35 ballers how is your regimen?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
[gfycat][/gfycat]
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,687

Re: OT: How Often Do You Play? 

Post#2 » by tsherkin » Sun May 5, 2024 12:54 pm

Man, I wish I had the time to play 5-6 times a week, damn...
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,154

Post#3 » by UcanUwill » Sun May 5, 2024 1:00 pm

I havent played in maybe 20 years, but I was terrible anyway, not an athlete. My ability was a bit better than my mental health showed tho. I am also very short.
FreeBird23
Junior
And1: 1,040

Post#4 » by FreeBird23 » Sun May 5, 2024 1:24 pm

3 days / week.
Still have a lot of fun even after 35 years of basketball.
_jin
Sixth Man
And1: 2,153

Post#5 » by _jin » Sun May 5, 2024 1:28 pm

Stopped playing in a club setting at 18, then played a couple years in my mid 20s in a corporate team, which was fun because everyone sucked so I didnt feel bad about sucking. I had good handles and vision but overall I was horrible, I'm short and have zero athleticism. I was a good defender because I was aware of how bad I was and I knew the only way I'd stay on the team was by playing hard on defense.

I'm slightly younger than you are and I've started playing padel a couple years ago, I play 2hours twice a week, I can't play more because everytime I play every part of my body hurts for 3 days. I dont know how you play every day of the week, you must have taken good care of your body.
chrismikayla
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,929

Post#6 » by chrismikayla » Sun May 5, 2024 1:28 pm

tsherkin wrote:Man, I wish I had the time to play 5-6 times a week, damn...

The perks of being a private contractor I suppose. I also go early in the morning before work or evenings after work as my gym opens at 6 AM and closes 10PM

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
[gfycat][/gfycat]
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,687

Post#7 » by tsherkin » Sun May 5, 2024 1:38 pm

chrismikayla wrote:
tsherkin wrote:Man, I wish I had the time to play 5-6 times a week, damn...

The perks of being a private contractor I suppose. I also go early in the morning before work or evenings after work as my gym opens at 6 AM and closes 10PM

That sounds super awesome.
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Post#8 » by Gus McCrae » Sun May 5, 2024 2:11 pm

Early 40’s, I play 2-3 days/week.
Have a 5:30AM group on Wednesdays and a 6pm group on Thursdays.

Saturday has a 7:30AM group but I can only make that about half the time.

Always a good time.
Bloodbather
Sophomore
And1: 453

Post#9 » by Bloodbather » Sun May 5, 2024 2:12 pm

Until recently I used to go shooting and training on my own once a week, but I haven't done it in months. As for pickup, I haven't played in years. Not many courts and not many people playing around me, which sucks because I love pickup basketball.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,725

Post#10 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 5, 2024 2:17 pm

super happy for the OP that he lost the weight and his knees are holding up. I'm 6'3" 190 and basically the same age but my knees will no longer allow me to play full court. Well I can, but then I'd pay for it for a week or more. I'm now just half court, set shot, block out guy. About as ground bound as it gets.

So kudos to you OP for having the knees and the commitment to still go. I remember in my 20's I played in a regular pick up game with several men in their 50's who still moved pretty well and hoped that would be me, but definitely not...
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
shi-woo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,640

Post#11 » by shi-woo » Sun May 5, 2024 2:26 pm

In my late 20's I traded in basketball for Jiu Jitsu and martial arts, which I do 2-4 times a week (body hates me because im always the smallest guy in the gym). I still will shoot hoops on my days off if it's nice out at the park, but that's about it. Where I live the community centers are too expensive to pay for both, so I rarely play with other people.

When Covid was a thing and my gym shut down, I would go to UConn every single day, sometimes 2 a day, and just shoot for hours and hours. I was still working during the pandemic, but that time made me realize just how much of what we do comes from our mindset, and just being around others in community. Without the influence of 3rd parties, basketball became a huge part of my life again, and something I actively tried to do. No surprise that was probably the happiest i've ever been in my adult life :lol:

I also had the luxury of working at a residential with 50+ kids ages 10-21, and our facility had an outside court and a legit gym that had no business being apart of that type of facility :lol: I would shoot around on my breaks or before work to ease the tension, and when the kids needed break from class or just got into a fight in the dorms ect that's where I would take them. Playings games would always end up in fights or bad energy, so we just played around the world most of the time. Can honestly say that was a perk to the job I never thought I'd have :lol: Just left that job to work in a hospital, and they have a tiny half court basketball gym, so i'm probably going to be doing the same there.

You have no idea how nice it is to actually be able to use the basketball in the trunk of your car, and be able to do it at work. It really does make the job easier, and has allowed me to introduce the game to a ton of kids who desperately needed it.

So i'd say 2-3 times a week, i'm 32
BloodNinja
Analyst
And1: 5,643

Post#12 » by BloodNinja » Sun May 5, 2024 2:30 pm

It's been about 20 years. Maybe two to three times a year I'll shoot around solo but that's it. I'm still active though doing boxing/muay thai/bjj/mma 6 days a week and cycling 120km+ per week.
GoBobs
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,536

Post#13 » by GoBobs » Sun May 5, 2024 2:32 pm

I play about 1-2 times per weak and then go through some periods where I don't play as much, but I always do some exercise at least 4-5 days per week.

On the basketball court my natural role is that of a bruiser post rebounder but I don't play that way in pickup because it isn't that fun and I am trying not to get hurt. I am 46 years old 6'3'', with long wingspan (I can almost touch the bottom of the net without jumping) and probably 210-220. I try to play a style that is fun and reduces my chances of getting hurt. I am out there shooting jumpers, trying to make fun passes, jumping off two feet only, with a plan to land on two feet.

I would play more if there was a better gym in my area. All we have is a ymca with a trash court that is only open a couple nights per week.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,154

Post#14 » by UcanUwill » Sun May 5, 2024 2:41 pm

BloodNinja wrote:It's been about 20 years. Maybe two to three times a year I'll shoot around solo but that's it. I'm still active though doing boxing/muay thai/bjj/mma 6 days a week and cycling 120km+ per week.

Since I do not drive, I slso cycle, used to at least, still should, but not sure I will have drive and need. It is my only way around town tho. I am in terrible physical shape, but I ride bike since childhood and my thigh muscles are pretty strong. I wish my arms were as tight and strong as my a*s and thighs. I often can just sit down and ride for 70km without a single stop, and I do not really get tired of sore in the muscles, the real struglle is that about an hour in, my behind starts to really burn from the seat and it doesnt get better :lol:
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,529

Post#15 » by JustBuzzin » Sun May 5, 2024 3:10 pm

Haven't played since highschool which is about 16 years now. However I do go to the gym on a regular basis thanks to the pandemic it really made me focus on my health and staying fit. I gained 40 pounds during the pandemic and I finally down 44 pounds. The gym can really change your view on life. A good workout does wonders for you body and mental health.
xchange55
Senior
And1: 526

Post#16 » by xchange55 » Sun May 5, 2024 4:10 pm

I stopped playing about 10 years go, but I still very much enjoy doing shoot arounds on average probably 2-3 days per week both indoor and out usually for 45-60min. I'm very active outside doing a variety of things, so it just makes little sense to abuse my knees as I get older.
Alatan
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,604

Post#17 » by Alatan » Sun May 5, 2024 4:14 pm

Dont really have time to play. But i stopped anyway because my knees started hurting and i put on a ton of weight. Sometimes i get together with the old blokes to shoot some but we end up drinking more than we hoop.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,213

Post#18 » by MrBigShot » Sun May 5, 2024 4:15 pm

Once every like 2-3 months at this point lol

Can't blow past people or stay in front of someone quick like I could at 19 or 20 years old, so playing isn't as fun anymore. I mostly just like to shoot around while listening to music
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,007

Post#19 » by cupcakesnake » Sun May 5, 2024 6:19 pm

I try to play 2-3 times per week but I play once more often than I play thrice.

I'm 36. Still a decent athlete but a bone spur in my knee stops me from really wanting to jump a lot. I also completely tore the crap out of my wrist on my shooting hand, so I've had to switch everything to my off-hand. I basically took a huge step down as a ball player in my mid 30s but I'm starting to find my game again as well as get the conditioning back.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
web123888
Freshman
And1: 68

Post#20 » by web123888 » Sun May 5, 2024 6:26 pm

Used to weekly in my teens / early - mid 20’s. Felt invincible with infinite energy and burst / explosiveness.

Now randomly on occasion in my early 30’s. Blows my mind how much you slow down and seeing these young teens / 20’s kids with unlimited stamina and energy.

Thankfully i can still shoot and have always been able to. If it wasn’t for that I’d be utterly useless with the age related athleticism decline.

Return to The General Board