Suggs would go ahead of Mobley in the redraft

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Spicy P
RealGM
And1: 5,877

Re: Suggs would go ahead of Mobley in the redraft 

Post#61 » by Spicy P » Sun May 5, 2024 11:34 pm

Ahead of Isaiah Mobley maybe.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 368

Post#62 » by WentzerWuver » Sun May 5, 2024 11:44 pm

tmorgan wrote:I mean, I think it’s documented that OKC offered SGA and a lesser lotto pick for the #1 overall that became Cade.

It isn’t something I like to remember. So thanks.
Close! They wanted Mobley badly and was willing to offer SGA to get him, which doesn't include their number 6 but along with a lower pick to the Cavs during the draft when they were on the clock but they turn it down. Woj was the source, not some wannabe beat writer from bleacher report Lol

https://okcthunderwire.usatoday.com/2022/05/18/woj-reports-that-the-thunder-tried-to-trade-up-for-evan-mobley-during-2021-nba-draft-process/

This was before the Chet Holmgren draft when OKC still had no stud to play defense at center which was why they were the 2nd worst team in the league the following season.
WentzerWuver
Rookie

Post#63 » by WentzerWuver » Mon May 6, 2024 12:00 am

RunOKC wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:
Godymas wrote:Suggs is the definition of "every single team wants this guy"

Elite defensive guard, can handle the ball, can playmake, can catch and shoot 3s. Willing role player. In such a guard heavy league EVERY contender will want a Jalen Suggs.

Mobley on the other hand is a dud on offense and seems to have made 0 movement towards really developing a meaningful offensive game. It's extension time and he's really just marginally better from his rookie year. The worst part is twice now he has shown that in the elevated playoffs he is unable to adapt his game meaningfully on offense.

It's a shame too because there were talks that Mobley might be the true #1 of the 2021 draft shortly after their rookie years, but for some reason Mobley is not growing and it's alarming.

Maybe it is the coaching of JB Bickerstaff, maybe it's Cleveland's insistence on sticking Mobley with Jarrett Allen.

Cleveland is in a strange situation this off-season, because they could end up deciding that Mobley is not the guy they want to pay on their timeline, instead they retain Garland + Allen, trade Mobley for a better fitting player, and trade Mitchell? Mitchell is supposed to be the superstar in Cleveland, none of the other guys are clearly ever going to be superstars, just normal stars. It's an awkward situation when your rebuild was accelerated and then left behind. I almost feel like Cleveland would rather just have Markkanen + Sexton.

Lol Mobley all day for me. OKC tried to trade SGA for Mobley cause he is that good on defense, which I agree as to why the Cavs won today!

No contest on this thread.

OKC tried to trade #6 and a bunch of future firsts - not SGA.

OKC was never trading SGA for Mobley OR Cade.. Presti had a rapidly improving star willing to extend and sit through a second year of rebuilding. A lot of people at the time dubbed his 24ppg average as putting up stats on a bad team, but anyone watching knew SGA was legit. Presti knew what he had.
Wrong! I suggest you stop reading bleacher report, opinionated sites, or whatever you want to believe cause no rebuilding team would ever offer a bunch of future firsts for any one draft pick or player Lol

That's what contending teams do, or didn't you get the memo?
SweaterBae
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,132

Post#64 » by SweaterBae » Mon May 6, 2024 12:00 am

tmorgan wrote:
vulture wrote:Has mobley improved offensively since his rookie season?
If he did it’s not noticeable

Yes. He got less shots this year, so it’s harder to see, but yes.

FG% up every year.
3P% finally good this year.
Rebounding rate up every year.
Assist rate up every year, turnover rate pretty much constant.

Actually, this isn’t even as close as I said in my first post. Definitely Mobley, and while the gap has closed some, still a sizable gap.

It's almost like it's incredibly easy to look up the stats before forming an opinion.
Vampirate
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,714

Post#65 » by Vampirate » Mon May 6, 2024 12:12 am

Mobley atm still has the higher ceiling.
DrCoach
General Manager
And1: 4,329

Post#66 » by DrCoach » Mon May 6, 2024 12:32 am

No
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,990

Post#67 » by Xatticus » Mon May 6, 2024 2:00 am

Iwasawitness wrote:
Godymas wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:
So, you made this post in the middle of Game 7 today when it looked like Orlando was going to advance.

I'd suggest you wait in the future.

ah yes the TEAM outcome 100% determines the individual's performance, you're clearly a very smart smart person. Today's bad performance from Suggs on offense clearly erases the 6 of 13 from 3 and 22 points he dropped in game 6

Buddy, Suggs is not more valuable than Mobley. Mobley’s defense was game changing in this series. You’re acting like Suggs was an offensive juggernaut. In reality he only averaged 2.3 more PPG than Evan. This is a stupid thread.

No one in their right mind would ever take Suggs over Mobley.

I would. There are a lot of dudes in the NBA that can do what Mobley does and give you more at the offensive end. It's easier to find defensive value in the frontcourt.

Suggs might be the best POA defender in the league. He can switch onto much bigger players and adds rim protection from one of your guard slots.

Beyond all of that, I see more untapped offensive potential in Suggs than I do Mobley.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,200

Post#68 » by Iwasawitness » Mon May 6, 2024 2:07 am

Xatticus wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
Godymas wrote:
ah yes the TEAM outcome 100% determines the individual's performance, you're clearly a very smart smart person. Today's bad performance from Suggs on offense clearly erases the 6 of 13 from 3 and 22 points he dropped in game 6

Buddy, Suggs is not more valuable than Mobley. Mobley’s defense was game changing in this series. You’re acting like Suggs was an offensive juggernaut. In reality he only averaged 2.3 more PPG than Evan. This is a stupid thread.

I would. There are a lot of dudes in the NBA that can do what Mobley does and give you more at the offensive end. It's easier to find defensive value in the frontcourt.

Suggs might be the best POA defender in the league. He can switch onto much bigger players and adds rim protection from one of your guard slots.

Beyond all of that, I see more untapped offensive potential in Suggs than I do Mobley.

Name the people who do what Mobley does and are better offensively that are also 22 years old. This should be good.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,161

Post#69 » by HMFFL » Mon May 6, 2024 2:07 am

Many people here on the GB spoke highly of Mobley in the past as if he was going to have a much bigger impact. Some even said the big man that's going to be unstoppable. He doesn't seem to fit the direction of the leagues big men that are elite talents.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,652

Post#70 » by jpatrick » Mon May 6, 2024 2:15 am

Mobley has disappointed me. His offensive development. I really saw Raptor Chris Bosh when I watched him at USC. That said, he’s a future DPOY who can score and can still develop on the offensive end. I think to fully unlock him, the Cavs need to move on from Allen and get a stretch 4.

I love Suggs. I think he’s a winner that every team would want. But Mobley just has more value.
WentzerWuver
Rookie

Post#71 » by WentzerWuver » Mon May 6, 2024 5:28 am

Xatticus wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
Godymas wrote:

And you know little in terms of actual ability but rely on biased hope. It's like saying AR is better than AD. Mobley was the reason why they won tonight by stopping Suggs like a helpless noob with his +/- as worst in this series.

Didn't you get the memo?
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,132

Post#72 » by The Real Dalic » Mon May 6, 2024 5:31 am

DowJones wrote:I don’t like guards in today’s NBA that struggle to shoot and struggle to pass. Suggs is a Pat Beverly type. Meh.

He doesn't struggle to shoot or pass. Way to trash Suggs for no reason. In that case, I don't like bigs who can't score besides wide open dunks and has no shooting or post game. Mobley is a Tristan Thompson type. Meh. Same thing you did.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
srhcan
Veteran
And1: 1,718

Post#73 » by srhcan » Mon May 6, 2024 5:36 am

Godymas wrote:Suggs is the definition of "every single team wants this guy"

Elite defensive guard, can handle the ball, can playmake, can catch and shoot 3s. Willing role player. In such a guard heavy league EVERY contender will want a Jalen Suggs.

Mobley on the other hand is a dud on offense and seems to have made 0 movement towards really developing a meaningful offensive game. It's extension time and he's really just marginally better from his rookie year. The worst part is twice now he has shown that in the elevated playoffs he is unable to adapt his game meaningfully on offense.

It's a shame too because there were talks that Mobley might be the true #1 of the 2021 draft shortly after their rookie years, but for some reason Mobley is not growing and it's alarming.

Maybe it is the coaching of JB Bickerstaff, maybe it's Cleveland's insistence on sticking Mobley with Jarrett Allen.

Cleveland is in a strange situation this off-season, because they could end up deciding that Mobley is not the guy they want to pay on their timeline, instead they retain Garland + Allen, trade Mobley for a better fitting player, and trade Mitchell? Mitchell is supposed to be the superstar in Cleveland, none of the other guys are clearly ever going to be superstars, just normal stars. It's an awkward situation when your rebuild was accelerated and then left behind. I almost feel like Cleveland would rather just have Markkanen + Sexton.

So Suggs will be drafted #3, Mobley #4, Barnes #5?
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,990

Post#74 » by Xatticus » Mon May 6, 2024 5:50 am

Iwasawitness wrote:
Xatticus wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:

Name the people who do what Mobley does and are better offensively that are also 22 years old. This should be good.

You already know there are plenty, which is why you tacked on the age requirement.

Embiid
JJJ
Chet
AD
Wembanyama
Giannis

Mobley is 32nd this year in defensive EPM. Jalen Suggs is 11th. The entirety of Mobley's value right now is wrapped up in his defensive contribution which, while good, certainly isn't outlier good as it was billed to become. That list gets a lot longer if we start talking about guys that really only provide value at the defensive end.

The list of players that you can make a case for being in the same tier defensively as Suggs as POA defenders is exceedingly short.

It's just easier to find someone to replicate what Mobley provides than it is to find someone that replicates what Suggs provides.

None of this is intended as a criticism of Mobley. He is a nice player. I wouldn't mind having him in the Thunder frontcourt next to Chet, but that isn't going to happen as that money is already earmarked for players currently on our roster and Mobley is a luxury that we just can't afford when he gets extended.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
2LeTTeRS
Senior
And1: 466

Post#75 » by 2LeTTeRS » Mon May 6, 2024 6:13 am

Watching Chet and Wemby shine as 5s makes me really curious as to what Monkey could do as a center. Maybe being underweight isn't the worst thing a big man can be? 2 years ago I loved his pairing with JA, but to unlock Mobley maybe they need to ship Allen out for a big wing....
WentzerWuver
Rookie

Post#76 » by WentzerWuver » Mon May 6, 2024 8:09 am

Xatticus wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

You already know there are plenty, which is why you tacked on the age requirement.

Embiid
JJJ
Chet
AD
Wembanyama
Giannis

Mobley is 32nd this year in defensive EPM. Jalen Suggs is 11th. The entirety of Mobley's value right now is wrapped up in his defensive contribution which, while good, certainly isn't outlier good as it was billed to become. That list gets a lot longer if we start talking about guys that really only provide value at the defensive end.

The list of players that you can make a case for being in the same tier defensively as Suggs as POA defenders is exceedingly short.

It's just easier to find someone to replicate what Mobley provides than it is to find someone that replicates what Suggs provides.

None of this is intended as a criticism of Mobley. He is a nice player. I wouldn't mind having him in the Thunder frontcourt next to Chet, but that isn't going to happen as that money is already earmarked for players currently on our roster and Mobley is a luxury that we just can't afford when he gets extended.
Besides falsifying stats like a noob, as Mobley just had an impactful 5 blocks and 16 boards to win game 7 under pressure that only top echelons in his class can do. It's not a luxury but a necessity to winning, and he has done so along with more scoring ability than Gobert limitations while in the league a lot longer, yet everyone says he is just as impactful as the great Ant-man. Now we have figment posters saying Suggs will be taken ahead of Mobley in a re-draft cause of his untapped potential Lol

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2023/3/29/23654150/evan-mobley-cleveland-cavaliers

I would take Mobley over someone who just choked game 7 away instead of stepping up to help Paolo. Obviously, you purposely put on Suggs' goggles due to your infatuation with his enormous untapped love handles that have endeared you so much where you must shower him with a max contract before it comes to fruition.

My Sixers would give Mobley the max over your lover all day long to form our impenetrable Embiid-Mobley wall with a 97.5% successful blocking rate from anywhere in the paint to the rim, against those braved enough to attempt. We would win the ship with that alignment while your Suggs chokes the game away.

Return to The General Board