Suggs would go ahead of Mobley in the redraft

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,345

Suggs would go ahead of Mobley in the redraft 

Post#1 » by Godymas » Sun May 5, 2024 6:09 pm

Suggs is the definition of "every single team wants this guy"

Elite defensive guard, can handle the ball, can playmake, can catch and shoot 3s. Willing role player. In such a guard heavy league EVERY contender will want a Jalen Suggs.

Mobley on the other hand is a dud on offense and seems to have made 0 movement towards really developing a meaningful offensive game. It's extension time and he's really just marginally better from his rookie year. The worst part is twice now he has shown that in the elevated playoffs he is unable to adapt his game meaningfully on offense.

It's a shame too because there were talks that Mobley might be the true #1 of the 2021 draft shortly after their rookie years, but for some reason Mobley is not growing and it's alarming.

Maybe it is the coaching of JB Bickerstaff, maybe it's Cleveland's insistence on sticking Mobley with Jarrett Allen.

Cleveland is in a strange situation this off-season, because they could end up deciding that Mobley is not the guy they want to pay on their timeline, instead they retain Garland + Allen, trade Mobley for a better fitting player, and trade Mitchell? Mitchell is supposed to be the superstar in Cleveland, none of the other guys are clearly ever going to be superstars, just normal stars. It's an awkward situation when your rebuild was accelerated and then left behind. I almost feel like Cleveland would rather just have Markkanen + Sexton.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,105

Re: Suggs would go ahead of Mobley in the redraft 

Post#2 » by tmorgan » Sun May 5, 2024 6:20 pm

I don’t think that’s true, at least not as of today.

Suggs has come a long way these last two years, but he’s still not much of a creator or anything but a straight line ball handler. He’s turning into a REALLY impressive 3&D shooting guard — his shot has progressed well — but you’re giving him too much credit as anything but a play finisher on offense.

Mobley is a truly outstanding defender as a four, and is working on becoming one as a five. Needs to fill out more to really make it down low, with at least a Gobert-type physique. I get that his offense has not progressed as planned, and no, he’s not the next Tim Duncan, but he is starting to shoot better overall.

It’s certainly a lot closer than it was two years ago, but I think you still take Mobley here.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,838

Post#3 » by DowJones » Sun May 5, 2024 6:22 pm

I don’t like guards in today’s NBA that struggle to shoot and struggle to pass. Suggs is a Pat Beverly type. Meh.
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,198

Post#4 » by Iwasawitness » Sun May 5, 2024 6:26 pm

Godymas wrote:Suggs is the definition of "every single team wants this guy"

Elite defensive guard, can handle the ball, can playmake, can catch and shoot 3s. Willing role player. In such a guard heavy league EVERY contender will want a Jalen Suggs.

Mobley on the other hand is a dud on offense and seems to have made 0 movement towards really developing a meaningful offensive game. It's extension time and he's really just marginally better from his rookie year. The worst part is twice now he has shown that in the elevated playoffs he is unable to adapt his game meaningfully on offense.

It's a shame too because there were talks that Mobley might be the true #1 of the 2021 draft shortly after their rookie years, but for some reason Mobley is not growing and it's alarming.

Maybe it is the coaching of JB Bickerstaff, maybe it's Cleveland's insistence on sticking Mobley with Jarrett Allen.

Cleveland is in a strange situation this off-season, because they could end up deciding that Mobley is not the guy they want to pay on their timeline, instead they retain Garland + Allen, trade Mobley for a better fitting player, and trade Mitchell? Mitchell is supposed to be the superstar in Cleveland, none of the other guys are clearly ever going to be superstars, just normal stars. It's an awkward situation when your rebuild was accelerated and then left behind. I almost feel like Cleveland would rather just have Markkanen + Sexton.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,231

Post#5 » by MagicMatic » Sun May 5, 2024 6:28 pm

Depends on who is taking him.

I’m taking Suggs 10/10 times if I have Paolo.

I’m also taking Franz ahead of Mobley. You are a fool if you think otherwise.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,544

Post#6 » by mademan » Sun May 5, 2024 6:28 pm

There has to be genuine concern at Mobley's lack of significant offensive improvement through 3 years, but no. He's still a far more impactful defender and is even more valuable offensively than Suggs. But ya, from where the hype was at after year 1, Mobley has been pretty disappointing.
vulture
Head Coach
And1: 5,316

Post#7 » by vulture » Sun May 5, 2024 6:30 pm

Has mobley improved offensively since his rookie season?
If he did it’s not noticeable
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,805

Post#8 » by Raps in 4 » Sun May 5, 2024 6:33 pm

They're pretty much the same player (elite defenders with limited offensive ability). I guess it boils down to: do you prefer that type of player as your C or PG?
Bornstellar
Head Coach
And1: 17,568

Post#9 » by Bornstellar » Sun May 5, 2024 6:36 pm

I remember people on here saying Mobley could be Tim Duncan with a three point shot :lol: Good times
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#10 » by tmorgan » Sun May 5, 2024 6:36 pm

vulture wrote:Has mobley improved offensively since his rookie season?
If he did it’s not noticeable

Yes. He got less shots this year, so it’s harder to see, but yes.

FG% up every year.
3P% finally good this year.
Rebounding rate up every year.
Assist rate up every year, turnover rate pretty much constant.

Actually, this isn’t even as close as I said in my first post. Definitely Mobley, and while the gap has closed some, still a sizable gap.
The Servant
Senior
And1: 711

Post#11 » by The Servant » Sun May 5, 2024 6:41 pm

Mobley to OKC for Josh Giddey, + both 2024 picks
tmorgan
RealGM

Post#12 » by tmorgan » Sun May 5, 2024 6:43 pm

The Servant wrote:Mobley to OKC for Josh Giddey, + both 2024 picks

Gonna cost a lot more than that, but I do like Mobley to OKC quite a bit.
Biff
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#13 » by Biff » Sun May 5, 2024 6:45 pm

He shot 51% his rookie year and 58% this year. Yeah, he hasn't become a super dynamic offensive player but that is a huge increase in efficiency. People saying he hasn't improved need to understand stats beyond just looking at volume numbers.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,453

Post#14 » by tdotrep2 » Sun May 5, 2024 6:57 pm

no sir
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,756

Post#15 » by Kurtz » Sun May 5, 2024 6:57 pm

Getting lots of Marcus Smart vibes from Suggs. I'd take Mobley.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,725

Post#16 » by Texas Chuck » Sun May 5, 2024 7:03 pm

I've been on Suggs island from day 1--I would have taken him 1st overall. I think the Mobley hype has always been insane--I too remember the Tim Duncan only better stuff.

But I think Mobley would still return more in trade than Suggs right now. Defensive first guards simply don't get paid big contracts and don't return a lot in trade. Whereas mobile defensive bigs who are playable offensively always are in demand. And if you return more in trade and you are likely to get a bigger contract, you'd probably still be picked ahead of the other guy.

But I do think if the Cavs can secure Mitchell, they should absolutely try and use the value of Mobley to go get a better veteran to win right now. He's simply not where he should be by now and I wouldn't want to continue to count on improvement that isn't necessarily coming.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 17,080

Post#17 » by Shock Defeat » Sun May 5, 2024 7:03 pm

Both guys are high level role players at best.
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,863

Post#18 » by Jcity08 » Sun May 5, 2024 7:07 pm

Suggs was really good for me in fantasy, very good all around contributor.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,584

Post#19 » by DaPessimist » Sun May 5, 2024 7:13 pm

Neither guy has an offensive game. I'll take the rim protector over the perimeter defender. Maybe if Suggs had a little more size and could guard the 3/4.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,663

Post#20 » by bisme37 » Sun May 5, 2024 7:26 pm

Magic fans this man jinxed y'all.

Return to The General Board