2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (BOS WINS 4-1)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins and goes to the ECFs?

Celtics in 4
24%
Celtics in 5
47%
Celtics in 6
15%
Celtics in 7
2%
Cavaliers in 4
1%
Cavaliers in 5
2%
Cavaliers in 6
5%
Cavaliers in 7
4%

Total votes: 258

PlatinumState
Starter
And1: 2,692

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers 

Post#61 » by PlatinumState » Sun May 5, 2024 11:37 pm

Cleveland's gonna be tired. Its unfair that they get one full day of rest between series
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,857

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers 

Post#62 » by cgf » Sun May 5, 2024 11:44 pm

Mitchell will steal one. Boston will f*** around and give one away. Can Cleveland get two more?
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
AussieCeltic
RealGM
And1: 21,387

Post#63 » by AussieCeltic » Sun May 5, 2024 11:46 pm

jkvonny wrote:
SportsGuru08 wrote:Boston in 6. Mostly because I don't trust this Celtics team to breeze through anyone. They even managed to lose a game to a Butler-less Heat team.

When the 3s don't drop, that's what kills them at times, esp in the playoffs.

Best record in the league this season when shooting under league average from 3.

Miami shot better than them from 3 in game 3 and lost by 20.

This isn’t the same Celtics as previous seasons. Completely different team that isn’t reliant on the 3 to win.

I’m not sure what this Cavs team is. On paper, their starting 5 looks really dangerous but it doesn’t seem to convert to their play. The bench is very iffy. You’ve got a Morris twin, Tristan Thompson and Niang playing playoff minutes in 2024 which is just a recipe for disaster.

21-27 vs teams over .500 this season which is pretty poor for a 4 seed. I struggle to see them beating Boston 4 times in 7 games.

If KP was playing, I’d have Celtics in a sweep, but alas, he’s out so Boston in 5.

I think Boston wins first 2 at home, Cavs win game 3 on a Mitchell 40 point game and then Boston wins the next 2.
eyeatoma wrote:IMO the bigger issue is that Denver and the Jazz are allowed to host games at a high altitute, when they have literally had news exposes saying how it's a clear competetive advantage to play there.
ajones9219
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,640

Post#64 » by ajones9219 » Sun May 5, 2024 11:49 pm

jkvonny wrote:
SportsGuru08 wrote:Boston in 6. Mostly because I don't trust this Celtics team to breeze through anyone. They even managed to lose a game to a Butler-less Heat team.

Boston has the most wins when shooting under league average from 3 this season as well as the best win percentage. Most teams play worse when they shoot worse from 3. It's a complete myth that this is somehow a Boston issue.
ajones9219
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by ajones9219 » Sun May 5, 2024 11:50 pm

Boston in 5 with an average margin of victory in the 10-15 point range.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,590

Post#66 » by jkvonny » Sun May 5, 2024 11:58 pm

ajones9219 wrote:
jkvonny wrote:

Boston has the most wins when shooting under league average from 3 this season as well as the best win percentage. Most teams play worse when they shoot worse from 3. It's a complete myth that this is somehow a Boston issue.

FWIW, many other teams don't shoot as many threes as Boston either (Nuggets, Lakers, Minnesota, Orlando, Suns, Philly, etc)
meatwad4343
Rookie
And1: 284

Post#67 » by meatwad4343 » Sun May 5, 2024 11:59 pm

Celtics have about as easy of a path to the finals as I can remember. Cavs are banged up, tanked for the Orlando matchup thinking it'd be an easy sweep or 5 games and got taken to 7 and battered along the way. I got Boston in a sweep here, and Boston in 5 against either the Pacers or Knicks. I don't think they'll beat whoever comes out of the west though.
cavs4872
Senior
And1: 257

Post#68 » by cavs4872 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:08 am

Celtics scare me much less than Orlando. Cavs potentially get back Allen and Wade; meanwhile Celtics lose Porzingis, and people don't even mention that.

People really hate the Cavs. For the last three season we've been a pretty ugly team when Allen doesn't play, but still.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,389

Post#69 » by fallguy » Mon May 6, 2024 12:18 am

cavs4872 wrote:Celtics scare me much less than Orlando. Cavs potentially get back Allen and Wade; meanwhile Celtics lose Porzingis, and people don't even mention that.

People really hate the Cavs. For the last three season we've been a pretty ugly team when Allen doesn't play, but still.

Give it a couple of weeks and you'll be plenty scared of the Celtics.
Wolfgang630
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#70 » by Wolfgang630 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:19 am

cavs4872 wrote:Celtics scare me much less than Orlando. Cavs potentially get back Allen and Wade; meanwhile Celtics lose Porzingis, and people don't even mention that.

Celtics scare you less? What
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,716

Post#71 » by GoCeltics123 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:32 am

Wolfgang630 wrote:

April Fools was over a month ago
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,422

Post#72 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 6, 2024 12:34 am

PlatinumState wrote:Cleveland's gonna be tired. Its unfair that they get one full day of rest between series
The cadence sucks too, only 1 day rest between games for the entire series.
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,725

Post#73 » by bmurph128 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:44 am

It'll be interesting to see if Boston plays as physical as Orlando did, and how the series is called.

I don't think they will - it was Orlando's best and only real path to victory - not the case with Boston. So even though Boston has as good a defense as the Magic did in the regular season, I expect the Cavs to have more success offensively. I think it'll come down to 3 point shooting - we need to win that to have a shot - and then how well we guard Brown and Tatum.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,201

Post#74 » by Iwasawitness » Mon May 6, 2024 12:58 am

AussieCeltic wrote:
jkvonny wrote:

Best record in the league this season when shooting under league average from 3.

Miami shot better than them from 3 in game 3 and lost by 20.

This isn’t the same Celtics as previous seasons. Completely different team that isn’t reliant on the 3 to win.

I’m not sure what this Cavs team is. On paper, their starting 5 looks really dangerous but it doesn’t seem to convert to their play. The bench is very iffy. You’ve got a Morris twin, Tristan Thompson and Niang playing playoff minutes in 2024 which is just a recipe for disaster.

21-27 vs teams over .500 this season which is pretty poor for a 4 seed. I struggle to see them beating Boston 4 times in 7 games.

If KP was playing, I’d have Celtics in a sweep, but alas, he’s out so Boston in 5.

I think Boston wins first 2 at home, Cavs win game 3 on a Mitchell 40 point game and then Boston wins the next 2.

Cleveland rarely had their regular starting five play this season. That 21-27 record is horribly misleading.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
Iwasawitness
Veteran

Post#75 » by Iwasawitness » Mon May 6, 2024 1:01 am

Wolfgang630 wrote:

Teams with loads of bigs are our kryptonite. Boston is obviously better than Orlando but we do match up better with them in that respect and they are now without their starting center. I don’t think they scare me less, but I will say that I think people are basing the potential outcome of this series on how the Cleveland/Orlando series went way too much.

cavs4872
Senior

Post#76 » by cavs4872 » Mon May 6, 2024 1:13 am

Iwasawitness wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:

Teams with loads of bigs are our kryptonite. Boston is obviously better than Orlando but we do match up better with them in that respect and they are now without their starting center. I don’t think they scare me less, but I will say that I think people are basing the potential outcome of this series on how the Cleveland/Orlando series went way too much.

Exactly. Even with Jarrett Allen we still struggle against big teams, like Allen getting feasted on by Robinson and Hartenstein last postseason (which is why New York scares me more than Boston).

I don't know much about him, but I've already got my eye on Kornet. He is going to be a problem if the bench big matchup is Kornet vs Tristan Thompson (I'm already vomiting).
SweaterBae
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,134

Post#77 » by SweaterBae » Mon May 6, 2024 1:16 am

Iwasawitness wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:

It couldn't be that people are basing their opinion on the fact that Boston finished 16 games ahead of Cleveland and had a +9 ppg differential more than the Cavs as well? There's no need to overthink this series.
ajones9219
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by ajones9219 » Mon May 6, 2024 1:23 am

PlatinumState wrote:Cleveland's gonna be tired. Its unfair that they get one full day of rest between series

How is that unfair? Literally that's the advantage of taking care of business
Iwasawitness
Veteran

Post#79 » by Iwasawitness » Mon May 6, 2024 1:25 am

SweaterBae wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:Celtics scare you less? What

It couldn't be that people are basing their opinion on the fact that Boston finished 16 games ahead of Cleveland and had a +9 ppg differential more than the Cavs as well? There's no need to overthink this series.

Cleveland rarely had a healthy team the entire season. I would hope that you as well as others have been watching the NBA long enough to know that there is more to it than the records of the two opposing teams, especially after what just happened last year.

cavs4872
Senior

Post#80 » by cavs4872 » Mon May 6, 2024 1:27 am

SweaterBae wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:Celtics scare you less? What

We're not overthinking it. We watch this team and know what the strengths and weaknesses are.

Return to The General Board