2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (BOS WINS 4-1)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins and goes to the ECFs?

Celtics in 4
24%
Celtics in 5
47%
Celtics in 6
15%
Celtics in 7
2%
Cavaliers in 4
1%
Cavaliers in 5
2%
Cavaliers in 6
5%
Cavaliers in 7
4%

Total votes: 258

ajones9219
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,640

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers 

Post#81 » by ajones9219 » Mon May 6, 2024 1:27 am

Iwasawitness wrote:
SweaterBae wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
Teams with loads of bigs are our kryptonite. Boston is obviously better than Orlando but we do match up better with them in that respect and they are now without their starting center. I don’t think they scare me less, but I will say that I think people are basing the potential outcome of this series on how the Cleveland/Orlando series went way too much.

It couldn't be that people are basing their opinion on the fact that Boston finished 16 games ahead of Cleveland and had a +9 ppg differential more than the Cavs as well? There's no need to overthink this series.

Cleveland rarely had a healthy team the entire season. I would hope that you as well as others have been watching the NBA long enough to know that there is more to it than the records of the two opposing teams, especially after what just happened last year.

This is HOF homerism lol
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,201

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers 

Post#82 » by Iwasawitness » Mon May 6, 2024 1:38 am

ajones9219 wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
SweaterBae wrote:
It couldn't be that people are basing their opinion on the fact that Boston finished 16 games ahead of Cleveland and had a +9 ppg differential more than the Cavs as well? There's no need to overthink this series.

Cleveland rarely had a healthy team the entire season. I would hope that you as well as others have been watching the NBA long enough to know that there is more to it than the records of the two opposing teams, especially after what just happened last year.

This is HOF homerism lol

Me stating facts is homerism?
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Analyst
And1: 6,901

Post#83 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Mon May 6, 2024 1:47 am

KazuoOda wrote:Aint no body worried about Boston

Agreed, Boston will be fine no worries.
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,857

Post#84 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Mon May 6, 2024 1:47 am

bmurph128 wrote:It'll be interesting to see if Boston plays as physical as Orlando did, and how the series is called.

I don't think they will - it was Orlando's best and only real path to victory - not the case with Boston. So even though Boston has as good a defense as the Magic did in the regular season, I expect the Cavs to have more success offensively. I think it'll come down to 3 point shooting - we need to win that to have a shot - and then how well we guard Brown and Tatum.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using RealGM mobile app

Boston can shoot. If they play defense like Orlando and can shoot, that's not going to be a fun series. I believe they had the second best defense in the league while Orlando had 3rd.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,574

Post#85 » by jbk1234 » Mon May 6, 2024 1:48 am

cavs4872 wrote:Celtics scare me much less than Orlando. Cavs potentially get back Allen and Wade; meanwhile Celtics lose Porzingis, and people don't even mention that.

People really hate the Cavs. For the last three season we've been a pretty ugly team when Allen doesn't play, but still.

If Allen and Wade are out for a majority of the series, we're going to lose. You can't play your starters 40+ minutes over an entire series. Good on JBB for trying it in a Game 7, but that's not scalable. I think you can play TT a few more minutes when Horford is on the floor, but if Morris and Niang get serious minutes again, we're almost certainly screwed.

Honestly, Wade has been out for two months and I don't see how he plays himself into game shape by the end of this series let alone the start. Allen needs to be back no later than Game 2 for us to have a chance.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
ajones9219
Lead Assistant

Post#86 » by ajones9219 » Mon May 6, 2024 1:50 am

Iwasawitness wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:

This is HOF homerism lol

The Celtics sat players the last 2 months and regularly played without 2 or more starters and won 64 games. Porzingis missed 25 games and Horford 18. It's not like they played their full guys all year which is why they were over 16 games better.

The Celtics are a better team. They have a top 3 net rating of all time, along with the top offense and #2 defense. The Cavs lost on purpose to dodge an injured 76ers team.

You can believe the Cavs will win, but suggesting that people are basing their take on the Heat series, and suggesting that people are anti-Cavs because they don't give them much of a chance is a blatantly homer take, yes.
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,201

Post#87 » by Iwasawitness » Mon May 6, 2024 2:06 am

ajones9219 wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:
This is HOF homerism lol

The Celtics sat players the last 2 months and regularly played without 2 or more starters and won 64 games. Porzingis missed 25 games and Horford 18. It's not like they played their full guys all year which is why they were over 16 games better.

The Celtics are a better team. They have a top 3 net rating of all time, along with the top offense and #2 defense. The Cavs lost on purpose to dodge an injured 76ers team.

You can believe the Cavs will win, but suggesting that people are basing their take on the Heat series, and suggesting that people are anti-Cavs because they don't give them much of a chance is a blatantly homer take, yes.

First off, I don’t believe Cleveland will win at all. I have Boston winning in six. Second, I literally didn’t suggest either of those things. I said people are basing this off the Cleveland/Orlando series, not Boston/Miami. Third, when the **** did I EVER once suggest that people are anti-Cavs for not picking them? That’s an asinine statement in of itself.

My entire point is only that people are overlooking the Cavs and don’t seem to realize how much it helps Cleveland that Porz isn’t playing. That doesn’t mean I think they’re going to win :lol: :lol: :lol:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,299

Post#88 » by azcatz11 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:06 am

This may or may not be a hot take but the best player in this series is Mitchell...therefore the Cavs do have a chance if he goes supernova
ajones9219
Lead Assistant

Post#89 » by ajones9219 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:07 am

Iwasawitness wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:

First off, I don’t believe Cleveland will win at all. I have Boston winning in six. Second, I literally didn’t suggest either of those things. I said people are basing this off the Cleveland/Orlando series, not Boston/Miami. Third, when the **** did I EVER once suggest that people are anti-Cavs for not picking them? That’s an asinine statement in of itself.

My entire point is only that people are overlooking the Cavs and don’t seem to realize how much it helps Cleveland that Porz isn’t playing. That doesn’t mean I think they’re going to win :lol: :lol: :lol:

lmao sorry, thought I was yelling at cavs4872. My b
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,422

Post#90 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 6, 2024 2:11 am

cavs4872 wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
Wolfgang630 wrote:Celtics scare you less? What

Teams with loads of bigs are our kryptonite. Boston is obviously better than Orlando but we do match up better with them in that respect and they are now without their starting center. I don’t think they scare me less, but I will say that I think people are basing the potential outcome of this series on how the Cleveland/Orlando series went way too much.

Exactly. Even with Jarrett Allen we still struggle against big teams, like Allen getting feasted on by Robinson and Hartenstein last postseason (which is why New York scares me more than Boston).

I don't know much about him, but I've already got my eye on Kornet. He is going to be a problem if the bench big matchup is Kornet vs Tristan Thompson (I'm already vomiting).

Meh, Kornet was a Cav for a spell, I'm not super worried about him. That flamethrower Hauser off the bench is who scares me.

If the Cavs scheme to defend the 3 is the same in this series, as the last. I think they will be sent home pretty quickly.
SweaterBae
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,134

Post#91 » by SweaterBae » Mon May 6, 2024 2:15 am

cavs4872 wrote:
SweaterBae wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:

We're not overthinking it. We watch this team and know what the strengths and weaknesses are.

So you agree that Cleveland has a better chance against Boston than against the Orlando team that pushed them to 7 games? For reals?
nbafan38
Head Coach
And1: 5,537

Post#92 » by nbafan38 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:30 am

The odds i've seen range from Boston -1200 to Boston -1600. Vegas seems to love the celtics.
ajones9219
Lead Assistant

Post#93 » by ajones9219 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:31 am

azcatz11 wrote:This may or may not be a hot take but the best player in this series is Mitchell...therefore the Cavs do have a chance if he goes supernova

That is an insane take
bmurph128
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,725

Post#94 » by bmurph128 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:53 am

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:
bmurph128 wrote:It'll be interesting to see if Boston plays as physical as Orlando did, and how the series is called.

I don't think they will - it was Orlando's best and only real path to victory - not the case with Boston. So even though Boston has as good a defense as the Magic did in the regular season, I expect the Cavs to have more success offensively. I think it'll come down to 3 point shooting - we need to win that to have a shot - and then how well we guard Brown and Tatum.

Boston can shoot. If they play defense like Orlando and can shoot, that's not going to be a fun series. I believe they had the second best defense in the league while Orlando had 3rd.

And if they end up playing defense like Orlando did (from a physicality standpoint), it will be over in four games.

But I don't think they will. Orlando knew going into it that they HAD to play that defense, every possession, with their hair on fire. Boston does not, and I think that matters. But if I'm wrong, it'll be a quick and ugly series.

KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,000

Post#95 » by KamikazeK » Mon May 6, 2024 3:36 am

PlatinumState wrote:Cleveland's gonna be tired. Its unfair that they get one full day of rest between series

Maybe they would've had more if it didn't take them 7 games. :dontknow:
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,000

Post#96 » by KamikazeK » Mon May 6, 2024 3:40 am

azcatz11 wrote:This may or may not be a hot take but the best player in this series is Mitchell...therefore the Cavs do have a chance if he goes supernova

That's crazy lol. Mitchell isn't better than Tatum.
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,481

Post#97 » by HoopsterJones » Mon May 6, 2024 3:54 am

Porzingis will likely not play this series. So I’ll pick Celtics in 6.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,857

Post#98 » by cgf » Mon May 6, 2024 4:16 am

meatwad4343 wrote:Celtics have about as easy of a path to the finals as I can remember. Cavs are banged up, tanked for the Orlando matchup thinking it'd be an easy sweep or 5 games and got taken to 7 and battered along the way. I got Boston in a sweep here, and Boston in 5 against either the Pacers or Knicks. I don't think they'll beat whoever comes out of the west though.

That's what'll make it so funny when they lose before the finals :wink:
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,133

Post#99 » by iggymcfrack » Mon May 6, 2024 5:25 am

LeBron was the best player in the Finals from 2017-2019, didn’t make any difference.
BloodNinja
Analyst
And1: 5,643

Post#100 » by BloodNinja » Mon May 6, 2024 10:14 am

Celtics in 5.

Return to The General Board