2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (BOS WINS 4-1)

Moderators: Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199

Who wins and goes to the ECFs?

Celtics in 4
24%
Celtics in 5
47%
Celtics in 6
15%
Celtics in 7
2%
Cavaliers in 4
1%
Cavaliers in 5
2%
Cavaliers in 6
5%
Cavaliers in 7
4%

Total votes: 258

bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,418

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (BOS leads 1-0) 

Post#581 » by bisme37 » Wed May 8, 2024 6:03 pm

Part of me wants Tatum to go off on a huge scoring night but most of me is really proud of how he's willing to run around and take the defense with him and let everyone else feast. Just a couple years ago it felt like he and Brown were in a contest to outscore each other and now Tatum doesn't care about his own numbers at all. He's just out there setting screens and gravity-ing the hell out of teams.

Spo and the Heat were doubling and tripling and trapping him all series and he made the right plays and was happy to find the open man. JBB and the Cavs did the same last night and JT did the same.

I'm wondering if and when a team will decide to guard him straight up rather than leaving everyone else wide open. I guess it's a pick your poison thing since the C's will beat you either way.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,709

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers (BOS leads 1-0) 

Post#582 » by jbk1234 » Wed May 8, 2024 6:18 pm

bisme37 wrote:Part of me wants Tatum to go off on a huge scoring night but most of me is really proud of how he's willing to run around and take the defense with him and let everyone else feast. Just a couple years ago it felt like he and Brown were in a contest to outscore each other and now Tatum doesn't care about his own numbers at all. He's just out there setting screens and gravity-ing the hell out of teams.

Spo and the Heat were doubling and tripling and trapping him all series and he made the right plays and was happy to find the open man. JBB and the Cavs did the same last night and JT did the same.

I'm wondering if and when a team will decide to guard him straight up rather than leaving everyone else wide open. I guess it's a pick your poison thing since the C's will beat you either way.

Pretty sure that was the Cavs attempt at a zone, which they never play. Otherwise, LeVert is just being a dumb-dumb here.

This is really only JBB though. He has three bench bigs who are borderline unplayable in the playoffs, but whom matchup pretty well against Horford and Kornet playing drop coverage. TT should be matched up against Horford whenever he's in the game and D. Jones or even Niang should check against Kornet. It doesn't even matter if the latter two shoot all that well because Kornet is going to play illegal defenses the entire time they're on the floor. TT should be setting screens on the perimeter all day long and crashing the boards when he's done.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,700

Post#583 » by Homerclease » Wed May 8, 2024 6:31 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Im Coming Home wrote:Damn the Cavs lost every quarter That's crazy

If neither Allen nor Wade play in this series, it's a sweep or maybe we take 1 at home. With Allen and Wade, the matchup problems were the Celtics. Without them, the matchups problems are ours and our coach is severely limited when it comes to in-game adjustments, identifying matchup issues, and planning around the latter.

It takes a good deal of failure for JBB to change his approach when better coaches anticipate the problem before the teams step on the court. It's like playing series with a -1 game handicap.

You could have Allen and Wade and you’d still be lucky to get one. There is no matchup issue here for Boston.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,418

Post#584 » by bisme37 » Wed May 8, 2024 6:39 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
bisme37 wrote:Part of me wants Tatum to go off on a huge scoring night but most of me is really proud of how he's willing to run around and take the defense with him and let everyone else feast. Just a couple years ago it felt like he and Brown were in a contest to outscore each other and now Tatum doesn't care about his own numbers at all. He's just out there setting screens and gravity-ing the hell out of teams.

Pretty sure that was the Cavs attempt at a zone, which they never play. Otherwise, LeVert is just being a dumb-dumb here.

This is really only JBB though. He has three bench bigs who are borderline unplayable in the playoffs, but whom matchup pretty well against Horford and Kornet playing drop coverage. TT should be matched up against Horford whenever he's in the game and D. Jones or even Niang should check against Kornet. It doesn't even matter if the latter two shoot all that well because Kornet is going to play illegal defenses the entire time they're on the floor. TT should be setting screens on the perimeter all day long and crashing the boards when he's done.

Don't get too mad at JBB. SpoGod was doing the same thing. There's really no good answer.

Spoiler:
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 18,105

Post#585 » by Im Coming Home » Wed May 8, 2024 6:46 pm

Homerclease wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

If neither Allen nor Wade play in this series, it's a sweep or maybe we take 1 at home. With Allen and Wade, the matchup problems were the Celtics. Without them, the matchups problems are ours and our coach is severely limited when it comes to in-game adjustments, identifying matchup issues, and planning around the latter.

It takes a good deal of failure for JBB to change his approach when better coaches anticipate the problem before the teams step on the court. It's like playing series with a -1 game handicap.

You could have Allen and Wade and you’d still be lucky to get one. There is no matchup issue here for Boston.

For real.. :lol: :lol:
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,709

Post#586 » by jbk1234 » Wed May 8, 2024 7:22 pm

Homerclease wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Well, if we can move Mobley out to the 4 and Wade out to the 3 on Brown, or even the 1 on White, all of a sudden we have a height advantage instead of surrendering it at every position, and I'm pretty sure that would matter.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,700

Post#587 » by Homerclease » Wed May 8, 2024 7:41 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Well, if we can move Mobley out to the 4 and Wade out to the 3 on Brown, or even the 1 on White, all of a sudden we have a height advantage instead of surrendering it at every position, and I'm pretty sure that would matter.

I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t matter. At all.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,988

Post#588 » by The Corey's » Wed May 8, 2024 7:42 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

The Celtics were one 4th quarter meltdown away from sweeping the Cavs in the regular season.

They have no chance to win more than a game with or without their full roster.

It's not like the Celtics are without their number 3 scorer or anything.
Niko23
Lead Assistant
And1: 897

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs: East Semifinals: #1 Boston Celtics vs #4 Cleveland Cavaliers 

Post#589 » by Niko23 » Wed May 8, 2024 7:54 pm

Orbeven wrote:
Niko23 wrote:My head says Celtics in 6 but my heart says Cavs in 7. Cavs have to play nearly perfect ball in order to beat the Celtics. FA's Strus and Niang have to earn those contracts. Garland has to play like a max player and Mobley needs to pretend he has some type of offensive game. Oh and then Mitchell has to play like a superstar on one leg, so if all that happens then we should be good.....right!?! LOL.

So say Cavs in 7. Hell say Cavs in 4. We're just a bunch of idiots on a message board! There's no money on it, you can't go to jail....Let your inner homer out! No logic required!

Nah, I would like to keep my honor amongst my fellow Real GM peeps LOL. Based on last night, it does not look too promising!
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,450

Post#590 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed May 8, 2024 9:31 pm

The Corey's wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

The Celtics were one 4th quarter meltdown away from sweeping the Cavs in the regular season.

FWIW, the Celtics have never faced a fully healthy Cavs squad this season. So, i don't think that's a fair statement/assessment.
The Corey's
RealGM

Post#591 » by The Corey's » Wed May 8, 2024 9:35 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

FWIW, the Celtics have never faced a fully healthy Cavs squad this season. So, i don't think that's a fair statement/assessment.

Ok. So the question is what is fair? You think they're pushing the historic Celtics to 6 or 7 games when they were a magic meltdown firm not even being here?
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#592 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed May 8, 2024 9:50 pm

The Corey's wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
The Corey's wrote:

Ok. So the question is what is fair? You think they're pushing the historic Celtics to 6 or 7 games when they were a magic meltdown firm not even being here?
I don't claim to know but people being dismissive about how impactful a fully healthy Cavs squad could be vs a Celtics squad without KP is wild to me.

If you have Mobley on Tatum and Wade on Brown, which allows Mitchell to be on White, then have Allen to help rebound and rotate... I'm not sure how anyone can argue it wouldn't produce a different result than last night's blowout.

Does it mean the Cavs are guaranteed to win? Obviously not but to think sliding in 2 good defenders with size to a line-up that can't get stops, makes little to no difference is "logic" i can't follow. Especially because it is not based on anything.
The Corey's
RealGM

Post#593 » by The Corey's » Wed May 8, 2024 10:10 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:FWIW, the Celtics have never faced a fully healthy Cavs squad this season. So, i don't think that's a fair statement/assessment.

I don't claim to know but people being dismissive about how impactful a fully healthy Cavs squad could be vs a Celtics squad without KP is wild to me.

If you have Mobley on Tatum and Wade on Brown, which allows Mitchell to be on White, then have Allen to help rebound and rotate... I'm not sure how anyone can argue it wouldn't produce a different result than last night's blowout.

Does it mean the Cavs are guaranteed to win? Obviously not but to think sliding in 2 good defenders with size to a line-up that can't get stops, makes little to no difference is "logic" i can't follow. Especially because it is not based on anything.

If neither team is healthy then isn't it a wash?

I am dismissive of the Cavs. They don't have the offense to hang.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,486

Post#594 » by JonFromVA » Wed May 8, 2024 10:36 pm

The Cavs problem these past few seasons is even when it looks like they're starting to to get healthy, someone else just tweaks or breaks something. The hope has been that if they managed to get out of the first round, that guys who'd been missing or playing hurt would improve; but that seems like a dream.
cavs4872
Senior
And1: 259

Post#595 » by cavs4872 » Wed May 8, 2024 10:38 pm

Homerclease wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:You could have Allen and Wade and you’d still be lucky to get one. There is no matchup issue here for Boston.

I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t matter. At all.

Very fascinating insight!
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#596 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed May 8, 2024 10:41 pm

The Corey's wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
The Corey's wrote:

If neither team is healthy then isn't it a wash?

I am dismissive of the Cavs. They don't have the offense to hang.
No, it's not a wash lol there are clearly levels to this.

The Cavs are missing arguably their 2 best defenders. Causing tons of players to play outta position and give up height and/or size disadvantages.

Be dismissive all you want, it's not rooted in anything, because again, the Celtics have never faced a healthy Cavs team this season.
cavs4872
Senior
And1: 259

Post#597 » by cavs4872 » Wed May 8, 2024 10:46 pm

The Corey's wrote:The Celtics were one 4th quarter meltdown away from sweeping the Cavs in the regular season.

Yes, because nothing unpredictable has ever happened in the game of basketball before.
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,271

Post#598 » by KamikazeK » Wed May 8, 2024 11:33 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Sounds like a fully healthy cavs squad doesn't exist. Nor will they be playing one in the playoffs.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,794

Post#599 » by brackdan70 » Thu May 9, 2024 12:04 am

Fully healthy Cavs would be the next Dynasty.
Sign here
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#600 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu May 9, 2024 12:09 am

KamikazeK wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
The Corey's wrote:

Sounds like a fully healthy cavs squad doesn't exist. Nor will they be playing one in the playoffs.
I mean, the only team who missed more games this season due to injury is the Memphis Grizzlies, and we all saw how their season turned out.

And you're right, Wade and Allen probably never play a single minute in this short series.

It is still up to jb to find a way to make these games competitive, with the pieces he has, in the shape those pieces are in.

Return to The General Board