Post Mortem 2023/24 - Orlando Magic (Eliminated in 1st Round)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

4 questions...

Q1: Keep the Head of Front Office
21%
Q1: Fire the Head of Front Office
2%
Q2: Keep the coach
23%
Q2: Fire the coach
1%
Q3: Performed better than expected
25%
Q3: Performed as expected
3%
Q3: Performed worse than expected
No votes
Q4: Rising Team
25%
Q4: Treadmill/Plateaued/Maintaining Team
2%
Q4: Waning Team
No votes

Total votes: 240

Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,980

Re: Post Mortem 2023/24 - Orlando Magic (Eliminated in 1st Round) 

Post#41 » by Nyce_1 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:30 pm

Saints14 wrote:I don’t think they should do anything drastic, because any big improvement will come in the form of Banchero or Wagner taking a leap. But I do like them going after Monk in free agency. Keeps the core playmaking duties in Paolo and Franz’s hands, but Monk can do some secondary playmaking and fits well in a backcourt with Suggs or Black
This is also where I'm leaning.
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#42 » by Special_Puppy » Mon May 6, 2024 7:06 pm

Season was a massive success. Massive internal improvement. 47 wins. 4th youngest team in the NBA
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,821

Post#43 » by Clav » Mon May 6, 2024 9:59 pm

One of my favorite casts to watch also! Good team of announcers that play it fair to both teams.

The squad is super exciting young squad with lots of cap flexibility to allow improvements. Fultz and Harris can be let go I think. Curious to see how ORL handles its offseason for sure.

The first year of this core competing they made the playoffs and went 7games, that's so impressive to me. Even during the year Orlando had injuries to their guys and still retained a #2 defense. With 40M or so to play with in the offseason they can do some savvy things like... get a one-year expiring from a team to get a couple of picks and wait for 25FA class, or make small moves to improve the depth because this core can be even better in the East next year.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,352

Post#44 » by Godymas » Mon May 6, 2024 10:11 pm

Franz had a tough series, even though every single advanced metric on him is through the roof for that series. I wouldn't look to deep into it. Cleveland was going to be a tough matchup considering the guys that they can throw at Franz. Paolo being the guy to carry the load was impressive.

Personally I would be excited to see some roster consolidation for the Magic. They've pretty much been collecting dudes around the league for the last 3-4 years now. It's time to really sharpen the team to be closer to what they want to contend with. This off-season is going to be a true test for the FO imo. The FO has done a great job drafting and signing the guys they have. Now it's a question of who can they put together for the right guys to surround their core guys.

Speaking of core guys, I'd say the clear core is Paolo, Franz, and Suggs. Now as far as the rest of the team, Isaac, Wendell, and Nepo Mo seem like guys that will fill their rotation. The guard thing is quite interesting. The Magic would be an amazing team for a guy like Mike Conley, Chris Paul, etc. a veteran guard that can organize the boys into a tighter offense. Trae Young on the magic, it could be a VERY interesting fit.

Markelle, cool story, but he's probably gone, I don't see any reason to keep him other than for the culture. Nice story and all, but he isn't their guard of the future. Cole Anthony is a guy that would be PERFECT to trade. He clearly could be a nice sparkplug guy on a nice team. I could see Anthony Black being shipped out too, he will never get the touches he needs on this team. Maybe there's a world where Black ends up on the Wizards in return for Tyus Jones.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,030

Post#45 » by Duke4life831 » Mon May 6, 2024 10:31 pm

Said this before the series and I’ll repeat it. This year should be viewed as nothing but praise for them. Paolo made the jump to All Star in just his second year. Backed up that play in the playoffs 27/8/4. Franz had a rough year from 3, but improved basically everywhere else. Suggs continued his improved defense and shot 40% from 3.

The core 3 took all the steps you could’ve hoped for this year. I wouldn’t do anything drastic when it comes to those 3 reliabilities. But I do think they need to go out and get legit offensive firepower to surround those 3.

I will also say this. This summer there should be no thought of trading Franz or Suggs. But if Franz has back 2 back years of struggling this badly from the 3, then I would have that discussion next year. When it comes to Suggs. He needs to show that 3pt shot is real next year. And show more consistent shot IQ.

But ya this off-season should be pretty simple. Surround those 3 with as much offensive firepower that fits as they can.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,568

Post#46 » by eyriq » Thu May 16, 2024 2:09 am

Add one of Monk, Russell, or Klay and promote AB and Jett.

Return to The General Board