How do you perceive Darius Garland?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Where do you rank Darius Garland amongst point guards?

Poll ended at Mon May 13, 2024 4:26 am

Top 5
3%
Top 10
23%
Top 15
38%
Below top 15
36%

Total votes: 73

Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,520

Re: How do you perceive Darius Garland? 

Post#41 » by Pelly24 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:24 pm

he lacks the power and explosion to finish at the rim a lot, but he's very talented.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,422

Post#42 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 6, 2024 3:33 pm

Richard4444 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:We have 15 players that are better Doncic, Curry, Shai, Brunson, Haliburton, Lillard, Morant, Irving, Trae, Jrue, Harden, Jamal, Fox, Maxey, and LaMello.

Then we still have Dejonte Murray, Derrick White, Fred Van Vleet, Conley, Cade, Coby White...
That is more a list of guys who handle the ball than PGs. Garland is a legit PG, the only position he plays. A vast majority of those guys are combos, some even sliding to the 3 at times. Garland plays 1 and only 1.

So you are saying Garland is worse than these players because he is less dynamic.
No, I'm saying if we're trying to see where he ranks in the league when it comes to PG, then we should probably rate him next to other PGs lol
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,422

Post#43 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 6, 2024 3:37 pm

mg wrote:I think Donovan Mitchell works better as the PG in Cleveland. The Cavs best play of the season ironically occurred when Garland and Mobley were injured and they were rolling out a clear #1 guard and one defensive big. It just gets way too muddled trying to play with 2 small ball dominant guards and 2 defensive/offensively challenged bigs in the starting lineup.

Garland could work really well on other teams (Pels, Spurs come to mind). His lone all star appearance was as an injury replacement a few years ago when the game was in Cleveland. He still has a lot to prove though. He had that one good playoff game against the Knicks last year but overall he's been pretty disappointing the last 2 years in the postseason.
No it was not as an injury replacement, the coaches selected him. You're probably thinking of his teammate that season, Allen. Or former small Cav PG Mo Williams.

https://www.nba.com/cavaliers/releases/all-star-reserves-220203

Also, to your other point, it was the weakest part of the Cavs schedule when they won 18 out of 20 games. The opponents combined winning percentage was like 40% they werw punching down over that stretch.

Yes, the fit sucks but I would make zero roster moves based on that 20 game sample.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,140

Post#44 » by jazzfan1971 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:10 pm

I think this is who he is. I think the big drop people are seeing is just his usage going down. He went from about 28% to 27% to only 25% this year. By my eye that accounts for almost all the change in his stats. At least his offensive ones. Can he handle a larger role? Probably. Would he look better on a team starved for usage? Yup. Do I expect him to 'bounce back'? No. Not unless his usage goes up, which seems unlikely if Mitchell is still there or there is a change in coaching.

I see him as a near all-star level player who is who is playing at or near his ceiling. That is, I wouldn't trade for him expecting him to improve. I would expect more of the same depending on his usage.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 849

Post#45 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon May 6, 2024 4:11 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:I think this is who he is. I think the big drop people are seeing is just his usage going down. He went from about 28% to 27% to only 25% this year. By my eye that accounts for almost all the change in his stats. At least his offensive ones. Can he handle a larger role? Probably. Would he look better on a team starved for usage? Yup. Do I expect him to 'bounce back'? No. Not unless his usage goes up, which seems unlikely if Mitchell is still there or there is a change in coaching.

I see him as a near all-star level player who is who is playing at or near his ceiling. That is, I wouldn't trade for him expecting him to improve. I would expect more of the same depending on his usage.

Yeah, your eye is very wrong, he dropped from a 101 TS+ to 97 and his BPM dropped from 2.4 to -1.0.
louc1970
Senior
And1: 176

Post#46 » by louc1970 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:26 pm

basketballRob wrote:
louc1970 wrote:
cgf wrote:
Cleveland will be really interesting this offseason. Either Mitchell is staying and they should dangle Garland, or Mitchell is leaving and they have to hold onto Garland for dear life. If they enter next season with both PGs on their roster, that'll be a colossal mistake IMO.

I've suggested various Garland for Franz or Ingram based trades, but the Cavs can't pursue those until Spida commits.

If Orlando would swap Franz for Garland, I would make that trade regardless of Mitchell resigning.
Cleveland could then trade either Mitchell or Mobley and get back the missing pieces.
Orlando could potentially have $40m in cap space to offer Mitchell a max contract in 2025 if he doesn't sign an extension. Paolo, Franz, and Mitchell on Orlando.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

That would be a good group. But Banchero's game would have to change from being the primary focus to being 1b. Is he capable of that?

Return to The General Board