Shams Bomb: Jason Kidd signed to multi year extension

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,506

Re: Shams Bomb: Jason Kidd signed to multi year extension 

Post#41 » by ChipotleWest » Mon May 6, 2024 3:33 pm

I can't imagine running the Mavs organization and watching Game 4 against the Clippers where Kidd benched both of his true centers and watched 1 Harden floater, 2 Harden floaters, 3, 4, 5, no rim protection at all the entire quarter and a coach who did not adjust just left it that way and the Mavs coming back from 31 down was for nothing, and then 2 games later giving that coach an extension. Yes the Mavs beat the Clippers but they didn't have a healthy Kawhi.

I think there's some brain cells dead in Kidd's head and the people running the Mavs too so they're perfect for each other.
Swish77
Junior
And1: 84

Post#42 » by Swish77 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:37 pm

Kidd is here because Luka and Kyrie want him here plain and simple. This is the way the mavs have ran things its the same when Dirk was playing if Dirk liked the HC he stayed. Its the reason why Rick was around so long. And its the reason why Rick was let go. Luka didnt like him and he was gone. Players have a strong say in who the HC is. Which I don't mind the players know alot more than us fans.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,564

Post#43 » by mademan » Mon May 6, 2024 3:39 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:I can't imagine running the Mavs organization and watching Game 4 against the Clippers where Kidd benched both of his true centers and watched 1 Harden floater, 2 Harden floaters, 3, 4, 5, no rim protection at all the entire quarter and a coach who did not adjust just left it that way and the Mavs coming back from 31 down was for nothing, and then 2 games later giving that coach an extension. Yes the Mavs beat the Clippers but they didn't have a healthy Kawhi.

I think there's some brain cells dead in Kidd's head and the people running the Mavs too so they're perfect for each other.

Kidd's not perfect but the players respect and like him, and its not clear replacing him will get you better (look over the league and see how many teams have a coaching carousel). If you dont extend him, he'll leave because he does have suitors, like the Lakers.

I know Mavs fans dont like him, but he's an average coach who the players like. His job is to keep Luka happy, which he does. Lebron had a lot of meh coaches who were only there because he liked them too
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#44 » by ChipotleWest » Mon May 6, 2024 3:44 pm

mademan wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:I can't imagine running the Mavs organization and watching Game 4 against the Clippers where Kidd benched both of his true centers and watched 1 Harden floater, 2 Harden floaters, 3, 4, 5, no rim protection at all the entire quarter and a coach who did not adjust just left it that way and the Mavs coming back from 31 down was for nothing, and then 2 games later giving that coach an extension. Yes the Mavs beat the Clippers but they didn't have a healthy Kawhi.

Kidd's not perfect but the players respect and like him, and its not clear replacing him will get you better (look over the league and see how many teams have a coaching carousel). If you dont extend him, he'll leave because he does have suitors, like the Lakers.

I know Mavs fans dont like him, but he's an average coach who the players like. His job is to keep Luka happy, which he does. Lebron had a lot of meh coaches who were only there because he liked them too

He's going to be with Luka now for the rest of Luka's 20's, we'll see if Luka continues to like him if they don't win a championship. Someone can be your best friend but if you're a player the caliber of Luka Doncic you don't want to be the best player to ever play that didn't win a ring. And he doesn't strike me as someone who wants to join another team just to ring chase. He wants to win a ring as the guy.

I'm not saying they definitely won't win a championship it's possible, but there's going to be heavy competition this year and every other year.
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,273

Post#45 » by HotRocks34 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:51 pm

:(
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the WCF without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,564

Post#46 » by mademan » Mon May 6, 2024 3:52 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
mademan wrote:

He's going to be with Luka now for the rest of Luka's 20's, we'll see if Luka continues to like him if they don't win a championship. Someone can be your best friend but if you're a player the caliber of Luka Doncic you don't want to be the best player to ever play that didn't win a ring. And he doesn't strike me as someone who wants to join another team just to ring chase. He wants to win a ring as the guy.

I'm not saying they definitely won't win a championship it's possible, but there's going to be heavy competition this year and every other year.

Whats the alternative? Fire an average coach the best players like and hope the next coach is better? And doesnt have any issues getting the players to respect him? You wanna be the Lakers going through 3 coaches in 5 years?
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,029

Post#47 » by NyKnicks1714 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:54 pm

Laimbeer wrote:OP: Please change "Shams Bomb" to "ShamWow".

Shams has been around for many years and this has never taken off. Gotta give it up
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#48 » by ChipotleWest » Mon May 6, 2024 3:56 pm

mademan wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
mademan wrote:

Whats the alternative? Fire an average coach the best players like and hope the next coach is better? And doesnt have any issues getting the players to respect him? You wanna be the Lakers going through 3 coaches in 5 years?

I'm not worried about quantity i'm only worried about quality. Why do Luka and Kyrie need their feelings coddled that they need a coach they like when he may not be the best coach to win them a championship which is what they ultimately should care about more than being buddies with that coach.

I would have fired Kidd and hired Mike Bud. 487-315 record with a championship. But it's too late now.
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,621

Post#49 » by Forbes » Mon May 6, 2024 3:59 pm

robbie84 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:What exactly wrong with Kidd? People say he can't coach, ok, thats not a point, its a conclusion. Can we hear your points first? Why is his system bad exactly?

I know that he had some very very odd decisions, like ordering his guy to miss a FT while up 3, because he was afraid of 3+1 play... He just said he would rather take away Hardens step back than a floater, which, I am not sure it was even honest take and not a misdirection. But those are just surface takes that we all understand. The real schemes, his ability to maintain morale, all that is either not known to me, or honestly goes over my head. And I know I am not the only one, because I often spot guys who claim coach sucks, but in reality, they have no idea what exactly they even watching, outside of rotations. Like yes, we all either played sports, or at least played sport simulators, we all know what rotations are, we all can sub guys in 2K. When guy cliché rants about coach, but only mentions rotations, I just walk away.

His defensive awareness/understanding is very, very poor. Yeah they've improved with the trade additions, but Gafford looked awful defensively against Zubac in the first round.

Kidd just doesn't appear to have the Mavs connected on D. They send traps all game, but their defensive rotations are just awful away from the ball. Kidd doesn't have them on the same page and he doesn't demand enough force from his players on the defensive end. Luka, Kyrie, Exum etc all jogging up the floor and not picking up their players early enough, aswell as basic stuff like poor foot positioning and not pressuring the ball.
This will be mistaken for homerism on my part, but
compare the defense of the Mavs to that of the Celtics in their series vs Miami. The C's guards White and Holiday made Herro's life a complete misery except for one game. Herro was visibly p#%$@ off at how badly he was getting owned by the Celtics guards.
Compare the Celtics ball pressure and relentlessness on getting over screens and making the extra effort to channel opponents into waiting help- it's amazing to watch.

You do realize that Holiday and White are two of the best defenders in the league on the perimeter right? Not to mention Tatum isn’t a slouch on Defense.

The Mavs don’t have anyone of that caliber on defense so they make do with what they have. Comparing the two teams defense doesn’t make sense my man.

Trust that no coach can come in and turn Luka and Kyrie into that level of defender. They have to actually put in the effort themself.
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,573

Post#50 » by CoP » Mon May 6, 2024 4:08 pm

robbie84 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:What exactly wrong with Kidd? People say he can't coach, ok, thats not a point, its a conclusion. Can we hear your points first? Why is his system bad exactly?

I know that he had some very very odd decisions, like ordering his guy to miss a FT while up 3, because he was afraid of 3+1 play... He just said he would rather take away Hardens step back than a floater, which, I am not sure it was even honest take and not a misdirection. But those are just surface takes that we all understand. The real schemes, his ability to maintain morale, all that is either not known to me, or honestly goes over my head. And I know I am not the only one, because I often spot guys who claim coach sucks, but in reality, they have no idea what exactly they even watching, outside of rotations. Like yes, we all either played sports, or at least played sport simulators, we all know what rotations are, we all can sub guys in 2K. When guy cliché rants about coach, but only mentions rotations, I just walk away.

His defensive awareness/understanding is very, very poor. Yeah they've improved with the trade additions, but Gafford looked awful defensively against Zubac in the first round.

Kidd just doesn't appear to have the Mavs connected on D. They send traps all game, but their defensive rotations are just awful away from the ball. Kidd doesn't have them on the same page and he doesn't demand enough force from his players on the defensive end. Luka, Kyrie, Exum etc all jogging up the floor and not picking up their players early enough, aswell as basic stuff like poor foot positioning and not pressuring the ball.
This will be mistaken for homerism on my part, but
compare the defense of the Mavs to that of the Celtics in their series vs Miami. The C's guards White and Holiday made Herro's life a complete misery except for one game. Herro was visibly p#%$@ off at how badly he was getting owned by the Celtics guards.
Compare the Celtics ball pressure and relentlessness on getting over screens and making the extra effort to channel opponents into waiting help- it's amazing to watch.

You can't compare the perimeter defense of the Celtics to the Mavs. Personnel matters. The Mavs have Luka and Kyrie. They are ok when they put in effort. The Celtics have two of the best perimeter D guards in the league.
prejt
Junior
And1: 380

Post#51 » by prejt » Mon May 6, 2024 4:29 pm

They would've beaten the Clippers with or without Kawhi. I agree though, he cost them Game 4 with that boneheaded move. Hoping he improves for the rest of the playoffs, against better teams the Mavs won't be able to get away with giving away games.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,633

Post#52 » by jpengland » Mon May 6, 2024 4:29 pm

Honestly I **** despair.

Jason Kidd is the single worst coach in the NBA. No debate.

He's also a piece of **** human being.

Luka being quite so good has masked quite how bad Kidd is. Put a top ten coach in charge of this Mavs team and it's a title contender
Tottery
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,399

Post#53 » by Tottery » Mon May 6, 2024 4:32 pm

Forbes wrote:Damn doubled down on him. A little surprised especially this early.

To be honest my MAIN issue with kid is he like to let the team figure it out and play through runs. A LOT of times the runs put us in a position where we are clawing to come back. If he would call a timeout at the right time we literally wouldn’t be in those positions and it happens often.

One thing I can say is when he has the personnel he can definitely get top defense out of the players.

Offensively, he needs help from an assistant coach that can bring some versatility.

Funny enough, your issue is the reason why the Lakers let their coach go. I kind of respect that the Mavs are giving him time to grow and be better instead of ditching him at the first sign of an issue. He picked his staff well and the roster did improve at the trade deadline. That doesn't hurt.
advent11
Junior
And1: 378

Post#54 » by advent11 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:38 pm

First L for the Mavs new owners.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,381

Post#55 » by Woodsanity » Mon May 6, 2024 4:40 pm

Mavs have had one of the worst FOs in the league for a while. They did a good job drafting Dirk and Luka but aside from that they have been abysmal.

Its a travesty how mediocre the talent the Mavs surrounded Dirk with for most of his career.
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,130

Post#56 » by Mr B » Mon May 6, 2024 5:16 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
mademan wrote:

But if they do win a Championship then it’s good Kidd is already signed long term right?
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,140

Post#57 » by jazzfan1971 » Mon May 6, 2024 5:19 pm

Him??
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
10DayContract
Veteran
And1: 2,538

Post#58 » by 10DayContract » Mon May 6, 2024 5:26 pm

This board thinks all coaches are bad. I'm pretty sure Jason Kidd is a basketball savant, but everyone on Real GM can call a timeout at a better time than him, so he's apparently not good enough.

I guess his best player can be 30-40 pounds overweight, but he must be a flawless coach who never makes a mistake.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach

Post#59 » by ChipotleWest » Mon May 6, 2024 5:26 pm

Woodsanity wrote:Mavs have had one of the worst FOs in the league for a while. They did a good job drafting Dirk and Luka but aside from that they have been abysmal.

Its a travesty how mediocre the talent the Mavs surrounded Dirk with for most of his career.

Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,801

Post#60 » by Swish1906 » Mon May 6, 2024 5:27 pm

Zero reason to do an extension before the end of their playoff run.

Looks like Luka and Kyrie want both Kidd and no other coach. Thats the only explanation

Return to The General Board