Shams: Paul George won’t accept less than a max offer, Clippers offering less.

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 849

Re: Shams: Paul George appears headed for a Clippers exit. 

Post#41 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon May 6, 2024 5:33 pm

Harry Garris wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:If the Clippers don’t have a financial advantage over other teams to re-sign PG that significantly increases the chances that he could leave

They can offer $1m more per year in years 2-4 but it's a very small advantage.

I meant if the Clippers aren’t willing to use the financial advantage that they have

I mean, they can't offer much more at all due to the over 38 rule and Paul George having over 10 years of experience. They can offer like $4m more total than the Magic which isn't a huge amount when his max is well over $200m.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,323

Re: Shams: Paul George won’t accept less than a max offer, Clippers offering less. 

Post#42 » by ItsDanger » Mon May 6, 2024 5:34 pm

Step 2: negotiate through media.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Bob Ross
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,108

Re: Shams: Paul George won’t accept less than a max offer, Clippers offering less. 

Post#43 » by Bob Ross » Mon May 6, 2024 5:35 pm

Do they have a choice? I don't know their cap situation. Would letting him walk provide cap flexibility? If no then I'd max him then trade him
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,995

Post#44 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon May 6, 2024 5:36 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Do they have a choice? I don't know their cap situation. Would letting him walk provide cap flexibility? If no then I'd max him then trade him

Teams aren’t likely to give much for him at that price. That’s the issue.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,980

Post#45 » by Snakebites » Mon May 6, 2024 5:36 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Good. That means someone will use cap space on him.

The Pistons may not have to go as far down their list as I thought.

If it’s even true.

Pistons can offer him a max, but let's be real that would be a stupid move. PG alone is not enough to make them a playoff team.

A team like Charlotte would make more sense because of the young talent they already have adding a PG makes them a playoff team. They could also offer Bridges in a sign n trade.

Bridges for PG Clippers get a younger player at the same position they can still build around Kawhi.

I think Orlando will be the major contender for PG. He already said on his podcast he likes that team and the cornerstones Banchero/Franz. It's probably the next best location if he ultimately leaves LA.

My money is on Orlando.

The Pistons aren’t a possibility at all. He’s not good enough to fix us and he wouldn’t want to come here. Hornets make marginally more sense but not much TBH.

The Magic and Sixers are the potential movers there IMO.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,512

Post#46 » by ChipotleWest » Mon May 6, 2024 5:38 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Do they have a choice? I don't know their cap situation. Would letting him walk provide cap flexibility? If no then I'd max him then trade him

He either wouldn't be tradable until December or for a full year after signing for the max. I'm not sure which but it's one or the other. I think it's December for a max a 1 year for a supermax.
Bob Ross
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,108

Post#47 » by Bob Ross » Mon May 6, 2024 5:39 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:

Teams aren’t likely to give much for him at that price. That’s the issue.

I think there will always be a desperate suitor
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,549

Post#48 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 6, 2024 5:40 pm

Snakebites wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Good. That means someone will use cap space on him.

The Pistons may not have to go as far down their list as I thought.

If it’s even true.

Pistons can offer him a max, but let's be real that would be a stupid move. PG alone is not enough to make them a playoff team.

A team like Charlotte would make more sense because of the young talent they already have adding a PG makes them a playoff team. They could also offer Bridges in a sign n trade.

Bridges for PG Clippers get a younger player at the same position they can still build around Kawhi.

I think Orlando will be the major contender for PG. He already said on his podcast he likes that team and the cornerstones Banchero/Franz. It's probably the next best location if he ultimately leaves LA.

My money is on Orlando.

The Pistons aren’t a possibility at all. He’s not good enough to fix us and he wouldn’t want to come here. Hornets make marginally more sense but not much TBH.

Yeah I keep forgetting about the Sixers, I just don't think that location would move PG more than Orlando would. South Beach literally a 3 hour drive for him and his family. No state taxes also helps.
FrodoFraggins
Senior
And1: 551

Post#49 » by FrodoFraggins » Mon May 6, 2024 6:04 pm

Loneshot wrote:He could be winning titles with the Lakers, instead he will retire without a ring.

The Lakers could have traded for him but chose not to and it hurt his feelings.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,931

Post#50 » by basketballRob » Mon May 6, 2024 6:21 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Pistons can offer him a max, but let's be real that would be a stupid move. PG alone is not enough to make them a playoff team.

My money is on Orlando.

Yeah I keep forgetting about the Sixers, I just don't think that location would move PG more than Orlando would. South Beach literally a 3 hour drive for him and his family. No state taxes also helps.
We have a high-speed train now that goes 125 mph from Orlando to Miami.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Sixers in 4
Pro Prospect
And1: 775

Post#51 » by Sixers in 4 » Mon May 6, 2024 6:26 pm

They are saving their max money for Harden.
Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,399

Post#52 » by Ckay » Mon May 6, 2024 6:28 pm

Get that max PG.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,155

Post#53 » by UcanUwill » Mon May 6, 2024 6:33 pm

mademan wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:That doesn’t mean he’s leaving. It means that he’s going to use other teams to secure a max deal from the Clippers.

Not happening. If so the Clippers are toast. Clearly they’ve been negotiating a year. If the Clippers cave now they are stupid. It will mean in a year they would lose Mann and Zubac. Mann and Zubac should be traded for whatever picks you can get and let PG+Harden walk for nothing. Take the L, get into reload sooner.

In what world is Paul George walking better for LA then paying him and trading him in 6 months? He should just do what he did with OKC. Take a 4 year contract with LAC with max raises with the understanding that he'll be gone by the TDL. He gets his money, they get some value

Teams give out max contract, because they dont want to lose an asset, and then need to atach picks to get rid of it. Happens all the time, and people still stepping on the same rake every god damn summer. While PG13 is still good, what are you getting for him under max money? It will be his 15th. season (thats is crazy by the way, it seems like last year I wondered how this young kid will mesh with Danny Granger...).

What I rather have, PG13 locked under multi year max at age 35, or nothing? I take nothing... But Balmer doesn't care for a rebuilds, he will pay and regret.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,512

Post#54 » by ChipotleWest » Mon May 6, 2024 6:36 pm

Next PG will demand the Clippers give him a no trade clause. :lol:
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,840

Post#55 » by madmaxmedia » Mon May 6, 2024 6:37 pm

I don't think anyone is going to offer him 4 years/$200M+, nor would he be much of a trade asset on that contract.

Clippers are probably willing to give him same deal as Kawhi, 3 years/~$150M- you're probably cutting the really painful years by half on a 3 vs. 4 year deal. He is a tradable asset on a 3 year deal in December which is better than losing him for nothing. I do think someone (Phila most likely) would also offer that same contract, then it's up to PG what he takes. But IMO that's the situation now and until PG makes a decision.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,549

Post#56 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 6, 2024 6:37 pm

basketballRob wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Snakebites wrote:The Pistons aren’t a possibility at all. He’s not good enough to fix us and he wouldn’t want to come here. Hornets make marginally more sense but not much TBH.

We have a high-speed train now that goes 125 mph from Orlando to Miami.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Final Destination vibes...
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#57 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon May 6, 2024 6:37 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
mademan wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Not happening. If so the Clippers are toast. Clearly they’ve been negotiating a year. If the Clippers cave now they are stupid. It will mean in a year they would lose Mann and Zubac. Mann and Zubac should be traded for whatever picks you can get and let PG+Harden walk for nothing. Take the L, get into reload sooner.

In what world is Paul George walking better for LA then paying him and trading him in 6 months? He should just do what he did with OKC. Take a 4 year contract with LAC with max raises with the understanding that he'll be gone by the TDL. He gets his money, they get some value

Teams give out max contract, because they dont want to lose an asset, and then need to atach picks to get rid of it. Happens all the time, and people still stepping on the same rake every god damn summer. While PG13 is still good, what are you getting for him under max money? It will be his 15th. season (thats is crazy by the way, it seems like last year I wondered how this young kid will mesh with Danny Granger...).

What I rather have, PG13 locked under multi year max at age 35, or nothing? I take nothing... But Balmer doesn't care for a rebuilds, he will pay and regret.

Surround Kawhi by a **** team of young guys trying to earn contracts for a year, let Harden and PG walk for nothing.Kawhi demands a trade, you get couple things for him. It’s 4D chess. It’s the RIGHT, but less likely path. I can rebuild this team in 2 years.

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#58 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon May 6, 2024 6:38 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:I don't think anyone is going to offer him 4 years/$200M+, nor would he be much of a trade asset on that contract.

Clippers are probably willing to give him same deal as Kawhi, 3 years/~$150M- you're probably cutting the really painful years by half on a 3 vs. 4 year deal. He is a tradable asset on a 3 year deal in December which is better than losing him for nothing. I do think someone (Phila most likely) would also offer that same contract, then it's up to PG what he takes. But IMO that's the situation now and until PG makes a decision.

3 years/135 with a 3rd year only partially guaranteed in case he’s hard to move.

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,840

Post#59 » by madmaxmedia » Mon May 6, 2024 6:39 pm

UcanUwill wrote:What I rather have, PG13 locked under multi year max at age 35, or nothing? I take nothing... But Balmer doesn't care for a rebuilds, he will pay and regret.

I think a 4 year max is a bridge too far for even Ballmer, even he realizes you can't buy your way out of the consequences of a deal like that.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,566

Post#60 » by mademan » Mon May 6, 2024 6:39 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
mademan wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:

WB was traded for positive value like 3 times before teams stopped. Bradley freakin Beal got positive value back. Its rare that you have to attach picks to dump a known star playing like a star (as PG is), especially one as portable as he is.

Return to The General Board