Why is there still a GOAT debate when the NBA itself named the MVP award after Michael Jordan?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

NbaAllDay
Sixth Man
And1: 1,745

Re: Why is there still a GOAT debate when the NBA itself named the MVP award after Michael Jordan? 

Post#61 » by NbaAllDay » Tue May 7, 2024 1:45 am

KembaWalker wrote:How can they have MJ as GOAT when LeBron is above him in all these metrics that were invented during his career that were designed to put him at the top to ensure acceptance in the basketball community and then retroactively misapplied to previous eras that were playing an extremely different type of basketball! Cannot believe this!!

I also find it strange tbh. It reminds me of all the talk about 6-0 being a perfect record, and the importance of Rings increasing simultaneously with Lebrons challenge for GOAT status. It's as if this argument was designed to retroactively keep MJ above Lebron while providing misapplied context of their playing careers and strength of opponent/era etc
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 16,046

Re: Why is there still a GOAT debate when the NBA itself named the MVP award after Michael Jordan? 

Post#62 » by Patches Perry » Tue May 7, 2024 2:02 am

PassMeTheBall wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:It's weird to me that there are so many good arguments for Jordan being GOAT, and yet we mostly hear the bad ones. This one might be as bad as the never lost in the finals (but OK to lose before the finals) argument.

It's also interesting how people use whatever happens to validate their opinions. If the league had named the MVP award after LeBron, they'd be pushing a LeBron GOAT agenda, but since they named it after Jordan, it resolves the debate lol.

There's no debate whatsoever for Lebron as the GOAT which is why they didn't bother to wait for him to retire. All Lebron has is longevity related things like more All-Star appearances & All-NBAs & stat totals. But Jordan beats him in everything else from more rings, MVPs, FMVPs, greater at both offense & defense, way more individual season leader awards. And Jordan did all of it in the span of 8 less seasons. The debate between them was realistically over over a decade ago but the media makes money from this debate.

There is no debate in your mind based on your arbitrary selective criteria, which is fine, you can have your opinion, but objectively there is obviously plenty of debate because LeBron has accomplished enough to warrant the debate. You just don't value the advantages LeBron has over Jordan as you admit by dismissing longevity. I could easily dismiss team-related accomplishments, such as rings and FMVPs, in favor of longevity-related accomplishments, which puts LeBron comfortably over Jordan. Longevity requires sustained excellence while team accomplishments are too dependent on external circumstances to be a good indicator of individual greatness. That said, I recognize that the debate is in the things you value, and we all value different things to different degrees.
PassMeTheBall
Ballboy
And1: 71

Post#63 » by PassMeTheBall » Tue May 7, 2024 2:40 am

Patches Perry wrote:
PassMeTheBall wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:It's weird to me that there are so many good arguments for Jordan being GOAT, and yet we mostly hear the bad ones. This one might be as bad as the never lost in the finals (but OK to lose before the finals) argument.

It's also interesting how people use whatever happens to validate their opinions. If the league had named the MVP award after LeBron, they'd be pushing a LeBron GOAT agenda, but since they named it after Jordan, it resolves the debate lol.

There's no debate whatsoever for Lebron as the GOAT which is why they didn't bother to wait for him to retire. All Lebron has is longevity related things like more All-Star appearances & All-NBAs & stat totals. But Jordan beats him in everything else from more rings, MVPs, FMVPs, greater at both offense & defense, way more individual season leader awards. And Jordan did all of it in the span of 8 less seasons. The debate between them was realistically over over a decade ago but the media makes money from this debate.

There is no debate in your mind based on your arbitrary selective criteria, which is fine, you can have your opinion, but objectively there is obviously plenty of debate because LeBron has accomplished enough to warrant the debate. You just don't value the advantages LeBron has over Jordan as you admit by dismissing longevity. I could easily dismiss team-related accomplishments, such as rings and FMVPs, in favor of longevity-related accomplishments, which puts LeBron comfortably over Jordan. Longevity requires sustained excellence while team accomplishments are too dependent on external circumstances to be a good indicator of individual greatness. That said, I recognize that the debate is in the things you value, and we all value different things to different degrees.

The thing is Lebron had more team help over his career & he still has less rings. He also has less MVPs, isn't a greater scorer or greater on defense. He only has 2 season leader awards in his entire career while Jordan has 10 scoring titles, a 3x steals leader & won defensive player of the year. Valuing only strictly longevity feels flawed to me. Any sport you're in you're playing it to win. So I think championships where you're the greatest on the team should count highly towards your legacy. Why do you think Lebron even joined Miami to begin with? He was worried about his legacy since he was already getting close to a decade in the league without winning. Only valuing longevity just feels flawed to me since there's way more than longevity about a player's legacy & where they should rank all time. Jordan also is the main reason why so many all time greats have no rings while almost every top player won while Lebron has played during his own era. Lebron really only has stopped George & DeRozan from winning anything when he kept beating the Pacers & Raptors when he was in the East.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 16,046

Post#64 » by Patches Perry » Tue May 7, 2024 3:04 am

PassMeTheBall wrote:
Patches Perry wrote:
PassMeTheBall wrote:

The thing is Lebron had more team help over his career & he still has less rings. He also has less MVPs, isn't a greater scorer or greater on defense. He only has 2 season leader awards in his entire career while Jordan has 10 scoring titles, a 3x steals leader & won defensive player of the year. Valuing only strictly longevity feels flawed to me. Any sport you're in you're playing it to win. So I think championships where you're the greatest on the team should count highly towards your legacy. Why do you think Lebron even joined Miami to begin with? He was worried about his legacy since he was already getting close to a decade in the league without winning. Only valuing longevity just feels flawed to me since there's way more than longevity about a player's legacy & where they should rank all time. Jordan also is the main reason why so many all time greats have no rings while almost every top player won while Lebron has played during his own era. Lebron really only has stopped George & DeRozan from winning anything when he kept beating the Pacers & Raptors when he was in the East.

I don't fault players for wanting to win, that is the point of the game, but ultimately it's a team accomplishment. What matters is contributions towards winning. You're right that at times, LeBron has had greater teammates than Jordan, but in those years, he also played against much greater competition. The 2017/2018 Warriors are far far better than any team Jordan beat, and arguably better than the Celtics teams Jordan played against and never overcame. The 2016 Warriors team that LeBron's Cavs beat won 73 games. Jordan's Bulls never beat a team that good.

To be clear, I don't think longevity is the only thing that matters. I think Jordan is clearly a better scorer than LeBron and likely a better defender too, but LeBron clearly makes up that ground and then some with his floor game and passing ability. LeBron obviously does have a longevity advantage, but I would argue he also matches (but not surpasses) Jordan's peak. I've been watching basketball since 1990 and never seen a better basketball player than 2013-2018 LeBron.

Another advantage for LeBron against Jordan for me is the lack of success for Jordan in any situation but the Phil system with Pippen. 1 playoff win without Pippen, zero playoff success without Phil. LeBron has won with three different teams, different coaches, different casts. This proves a championship level of adaptability that I value a lot if we're talking about all-time greats.

All this to say, there's plenty of reason to take Jordan over LeBron all-time, but there are good arguments for LeBron. I'd argue Kareem has an argument too. And honestly, if someone values winning over stats and individual accomplishments, it's hard to argue that Bill Russell isn't in the conversation as well. 11 titles, 5 MVPs is crazy. For me, I don't value winning and titles as much as some other people, but if you do, I don't know how Russell isn't 1st tier.
Ritzo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,363

Post#65 » by Ritzo » Tue May 7, 2024 3:05 am

Jerry West is the GOAT because he's the NBA logo.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 23,002

Post#66 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:10 am

PassMeTheBall wrote:The league itself essentially already has said Jordan is the greatest player ever by naming the MVP award after him yet there's still nonsense going on that there's still even a debate. If Lebron or another player was greater they would have either waited to name the award or given it to someone else.

The NBA lets Steven A Smith vote for MVP....so they're on the same level of those who SA kids and kill people. Just wrong...

We want adults to make these calls, not the worst people who have ever lived like the nba lets vote for their MVP.
PaulLee
Sophomore
And1: 261

Post#67 » by PaulLee » Tue May 7, 2024 3:24 am

Lets just see who we are comparing the next gen goats to. I don't think it will be ANT v Lebron if ANT is next up. But who knows.
OhayoKD
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,009

Post#68 » by OhayoKD » Tue May 7, 2024 3:34 am

Doctor MJ wrote:
PassMeTheBall wrote:The league itself essentially already has said Jordan is the greatest player ever by naming the MVP award after him yet there's still nonsense going on that there's still even a debate. If Lebron or another player was greater they would have either waited to name the award or given it to someone else.

"Why do basketball fans still debate the greatest basketball player when the lawyers who run the NBA decided to rebrand an award after the guy who sold the most shoes?"

I dunno man. It's a mystery.

If anything it just confirms what should be obvious to anyone who was paying attention: the league is more interested in enshrining the 90's as the peak of basketball than promoting the new age of nba basketball or celebrating it's history.

Jordan

-> did not win the most MVP's (kareem)
-> did not win the most MVP's in the least amount of time (russell, bird, kareem, lebron)
-> did not win the most mvp votes or award share (Lebron)
-> did not win the most MVP's in a row (Bird)
-> did not have the most dominant mvp wins (Lebron, Steph for 1 year)

But he was named after the award because those who run the nba are more interested in their childhood than what's best for the future of basketball
its my last message in this thread, but I just admit, that all the people, casual and analytical minds, more or less have consencus who has the weight of a rubberized duck. And its not JaivLLLL
MavsDirk41
Analyst
And1: 2,648

Post#69 » by MavsDirk41 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:50 am

OhayoKD wrote:
Doctor MJ wrote:

"Why do basketball fans still debate the greatest basketball player when the lawyers who run the NBA decided to rebrand an award after the guy who sold the most shoes?"

I dunno man. It's a mystery.

If anything it just confirms what should be obvious to anyone who was paying attention: the league is more interested in enshrining the 90's as the peak of basketball than promoting the new age of nba basketball or celebrating it's history.

Jordan

-> did not win the most MVP's (kareem)
-> did not win the most MVP's in the least amount of time (russell, bird, kareem, lebron)
-> did not win the most mvp votes or award share (Lebron)
-> did not win the most MVP's in a row (Bird)
-> did not have the most dominant mvp wins (Lebron, Steph for 1 year)

But he was named after the award because those who run the nba are more interested in their childhood than what's best for the future of basketball

The award should be named after Kareem cause he has the most league mvp awards but none of that other stuff you mentioned matters at all. Whats best for the future of basketball lol?? What in the world are you talking about? Please clarify that lol….
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,153

Post#70 » by tsherkin » Tue May 7, 2024 9:02 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
tsherkin wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:
About 75% of fans say otherwise, including huge majority of media, you look at a top ranked players of all time list on websites it's going to be Jordan 1, including realgm polls. Your minority opinion is not special. It's just your minority opinion.

You realize that an appeal to the casual fan base and the media means nothing in terms of integrity of argument, right?

So who has the final say? You? :lol:

You probably think so, but you don't.

And why is every fan that thinks Jordan is the GOAT a casual? I guess you're saying the serious fans think Lebron is the GOAT. That's funny too.

The opinion isn't the problem; there's nothing wrong with considering Jordan the GOAT. He's one of a vanishingly-few good contenders for that title, no doubt.

The problem is the appeal to a majority, which is no indicator of quality of opinion. It's the method that's at issue, not the conclusion. The media is disingenuous; this is known. They don't do any kind of reasoned examination of anything. They include people like SAS. Their opinions are irrelevant. Of the "75% of fans" who "say otherwise," most of those are casuals who don't know enough to matter. So, logical fallacy notwithstanding, there is also the fact that the majority you're quoting don't reeeeally know what they're talking about.

There are plenty of well-educated RealGM posters who still ultimately decide that they view Jordan as the GOAT. There's nothing wrong with that. He's got all the markers you could really look for to stand at that level, along basically every angle you could choose.

Understand what I was saying and don't make straw men out of my post.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,872

Post#71 » by Triple7 » Tue May 7, 2024 10:23 am

Lebron is disqualified from the GOAT debate when he choked hard against Dallas. Sorry to all fan boys. He’s still great, top 5 when he retires.
Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 585

Post#72 » by Gregoire » Tue May 7, 2024 11:42 am

Jordan is majority GOAT in all "levels": between casuals, between analytics, between "educated posters" and between players and coaches. So... You can draw your own conclusions...
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them.
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan
AEnigma wrote:
Jordan is not as smart a help defender as Kidd
Stan
Sixth Man
And1: 2,553

Post#73 » by Stan » Tue May 7, 2024 12:28 pm

Well, that's some foolproof logic there.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,767

Post#74 » by Bergmaniac » Tue May 7, 2024 12:54 pm

The NBA named its title trophy after Larry O'Brien and nobody thinks he was the best commissioner ever.
hauntedcomputer
Veteran
And1: 4,096

Post#75 » by hauntedcomputer » Tue May 7, 2024 1:47 pm

One_and_Done wrote:They weren't going to name it after a guy still playing. Plus those awards are about legacy, not talent, why do you think Mikan has one. Mikan would be nothing in today's league.

Today's league would be nothing without Mikan. Like maybe not even existing.
+++
Schadenfreude is undefeated.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,971

Post#76 » by One_and_Done » Tue May 7, 2024 4:05 pm

hauntedcomputer wrote:
One_and_Done wrote:They weren't going to name it after a guy still playing. Plus those awards are about legacy, not talent, why do you think Mikan has one. Mikan would be nothing in today's league.

Today's league would be nothing without Mikan. Like maybe not even existing.

Irrelevant to what I said though.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Post#77 » by Joao Saraiva » Tue May 7, 2024 4:10 pm

Because Bill Russell has his name on the finals MVP.

Kobe however is the best ever on friendly matches because he takes em seriously.

I hope the NBA names the ROY the Milicic award so that Pistons fans can brag about having the GROAT who was decisive for their 04 campaign. If they chose Bosh they might have not needed to trade for Sheed. Talk about impact.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 12,127

Post#78 » by Effigy » Tue May 7, 2024 4:14 pm

Jables wrote:There is no actual debate, Kobe was in "the GOAT debate" and everyone in the media acted like that was never a thing the second he retired. It's purely media driven. It will literally never end.

Kobe was never in the GOAT debate. Nobody ever seriously thought he was better than Jordan and he's the easiest most obvious comparison to Mike. He didn't do anything better than Jordan. With Lebron you can argue he's a better passer, better at making his teammates better, etc. Kobe made himself MJ's clone, had all the same strengths and weaknesses but Mike's strengths were a little better and his weaknesses not as bad.

The only debate Kobe was genuinely in was Kobe vs Lebron, and even that was really only argued by Laker fans.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,265

Post#79 » by Lalouie » Tue May 7, 2024 4:22 pm

well,,,its not lebrob first of all

but anyway the mvp award has always been an egalitarian award because it recognizes achievement IN A SEASON. it is NOT a best player award nor a goat award - it recognizes superior ACHIEVEMENT in that year

the achievement could be many things to many people and i have heard a few voters say they LIKE the leeway they are given in choosing the player. i also like this latitude as well.

what you have to do is console yourself with the idea that ACHIEVEMENT is not the same as BEST,,,,,comprende?!
and btw,,,they don't give out goat awards every year as that would be contradictory and therefore there is no such thing as an mj goat award or kareem goat award or russell goat award
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,738

Post#80 » by DOT » Tue May 7, 2024 4:30 pm

It should be named after Kareem since he won the most MVPs tbh

No real argument to name it after MJ other than because he's the GOAT, which then makes it circular logic to say he's the GOAT because he has the MVP named after him, but the "debate" is already the dumbest thing so adding another dumb argument makes sense I guess.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe

Return to The General Board