Which of the remaining franchises is closest to getting their first MVP?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Which team

Orlando Magic
31%
Indiana Pacers
16%
Brooklyn Nets
3%
Detroit Pistons
3%
Toronto Raptors
9%
Charlotte Hornets
3%
New Orleans Pelicans
6%
Memphis Grizzlies
28%

Total votes: 32

Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,351

Which of the remaining franchises is closest to getting their first MVP? 

Post#1 » by Godymas » Mon May 6, 2024 9:25 pm

The following franchises have never had a player win the MVP while playing for them

1. New Orleans Pelicans
2. Charlotte Hornets
3. Memphis Grizzlies
4. Indiana Pacers
5. Detroit Pistons
6. Orlando Magic
7. Brooklyn Nets
8. Toronto Raptors

I believe of all these teams the most likely player to get an MVP of any of the teams remaining is the Indiana Pacers with Tyrese Haliburton. Haliburton could one day be the engine of a team which wins 60 wins and has a potential record setting offense. He has the tenured coach in Rick Carlisle, he has great costars and role players, and the Pacers could very well bring on more smart signings to support him.

And for those wondering about the teams that do have MVPs: https://www.sporcle.com/games/justindi01/first-nba-mvp-by-team?t=sports
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,029

Re: Which of the remaining franchises is closest to getting their first MVP? 

Post#2 » by NyKnicks1714 » Mon May 6, 2024 9:29 pm

No player currently on any of those teams is ever winning MVP. Banchero probably has the best chance but it's really slim.
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,496

Post#3 » by MrGoat » Mon May 6, 2024 9:30 pm

Paolo had a pretty big jump in play quality from 1st to 2nd season. He was the reason they were losing in his rookie season, he was one of the main reasons they were winning this season. Seeing that type of leap that quickly makes me think he has a real chance at it in a few years
jkvonny
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,590

Post#4 » by jkvonny » Mon May 6, 2024 9:36 pm

I'm surprised the Magic, Pacers, Pistons have yet to have a player win MVP award. Even the Nets. Going back decades. Interesting!

I could see one of them will have a player do so, soon. They always have that type of player.

The others ones have a chance as well. Esp Grizz (Ja), Pels (Zion if healthy).

Raptors and Hornets, maybe in the future, with generational type player. But as of now, they seem the furthest out of this list.
MarcusBrody
Starter
And1: 3,818

Post#5 » by MarcusBrody » Mon May 6, 2024 10:04 pm

I love Halliburton, but I don't see him as an MVP caliber player.

I see no one on Brooklyn, Detroit, Toronto or Charlotte that's really likely to be that caliber, even though I again like some individual players a lot and see a lot of all star games in their future.

That leaves Orlando, Memphis, and New Orleans. I don't think any of them are likely and it's very possible that none ever get closer than Halliburton, but there is enough variance that there is a chance.

In ascending order of likeliness:

Ja was hyped before things kind of came crashing down. The counter narrative was always that the Griz were basically as good without him, so the Griz being so bad without him helps his narrative. He was 7th in 2022's voting, right outside of basically all the guys who were talked about this year, so I would say he's been the closest. I could see an outside chance of him coming back, leading a revitalized Griz to a major improvement with a really exciting playstyle. The improvement, excitement, and redemption arc carries him. I do think that AE's emergence as the new, young, no-regard-for-human-life dunker of the month steals some shine and I think his window has probably closed.

Paolo - As has been mentioned, he's improved each year and is young enough that he may still improve a good bit. The Magic are a piece or two away from being a really good squad. I honestly see solid All Star as more likely than top MVP contender, but if he can make another efficiency jump or two, he could be in that tier as he reaches his prime and the current favorites phase out.

Zion - He's the only one I've seen play at what I could consider an MVP level and the uniqueness of his game I think adds to his chances of standing out. Watching him bowling ball in, absorb contact, then softly lay it up around good defenders is impressive. He also had the most hype, though it's largely died down. Still If he could stay healthy and motivated, I think he is the one who is currently closest to MVP when he's on. I just never expect him to be able to sustain that at this point.

So, basically I don't think any of those teams will get their first MVP with anyone on their current roster (so maybe I should just be choosing whoever is likely to have the best draft picks in the next few years), but if it's anyone, I'd expect it to be one of the three I discussed.
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#6 » by Special_Puppy » Mon May 6, 2024 10:06 pm

I don’t think anyone on any of those teams right now is winning MVP.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,495

Post#7 » by ChipotleWest » Mon May 6, 2024 10:10 pm

If Ja Morant deserved it would they even give it to him?
"The best ability is availability"

Not if the player sucks a**.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM

Post#8 » by NyKnicks1714 » Mon May 6, 2024 10:13 pm

MrGoat wrote:Paolo had a pretty big jump in play quality from 1st to 2nd season. He was the reason they were losing in his rookie season, he was one of the main reasons they were winning this season. Seeing that type of leap that quickly makes me think he has a real chance at it in a few years

In the next few to several years, he has to beat out Jokic, Embiid, Giannis, Tatum, Luka, SGA. When they're past their peaks/primes he has to contend with Wemby, Edwards. It's possible it could happen at some point but it's unlikely and would need a special set of circumstances.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,743

Post#9 » by Harry Garris » Mon May 6, 2024 10:30 pm

Maybe Paolo but most likely it’s a player who’s not on one of these rosters yet
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,495

Post#10 » by ChipotleWest » Mon May 6, 2024 10:54 pm

Only two of those teams have won the NBA championship.
"The best ability is availability"

Not if the player sucks a**.
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,896

Post#11 » by giberish » Mon May 6, 2024 11:17 pm

jkvonny wrote:I'm surprised the Magic, Pacers, Pistons have yet to have a player win MVP award. Even the Nets. Going back decades. Interesting!

I could see one of them will have a player do so, soon. They always have that type of player.

Raptors and Hornets, maybe in the future, with generational type player. But as of now, they seem the furthest out of this list.

Well the Nets (and I assume the Pacers as well) have ABA MVPs (assuming such an award was given).
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,506

Post#12 » by Funcrusher » Mon May 6, 2024 11:46 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:No player currently on any of those teams is ever winning MVP. Banchero probably has the best chance but it's really slim.

Wrong
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Funcrusher » Mon May 6, 2024 11:47 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
MrGoat wrote:Paolo had a pretty big jump in play quality from 1st to 2nd season. He was the reason they were losing in his rookie season, he was one of the main reasons they were winning this season. Seeing that type of leap that quickly makes me think he has a real chance at it in a few years

In the next few to several years, he has to beat out Jokic, Embiid, Giannis, Tatum, Luka, SGA. When they're past their peaks/primes he has to contend with Wemby, Edwards. It's possible it could happen at some point but it's unlikely and would need a special set of circumstances.

We actin like Paolo is chopped liver now? :lol:

And sunddenly ANT makes this list of roadblocks. You guys are so prisoner of the moment its insane :lol:
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,451

Post#14 » by BigGargamel » Mon May 6, 2024 11:47 pm

Wemby is going to gobble up all MVP's for the next decade so probably none of them.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by Funcrusher » Mon May 6, 2024 11:49 pm

BigGargamel wrote:Wemby is going to gobble up all MVP's for the next decade so probably none of them.

I think thats more unrealistic than the question posed by OP tbh
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,713

Post#16 » by iLLmatic860 » Mon May 6, 2024 11:55 pm

Magic
NyKnicks1714
RealGM

Post#17 » by NyKnicks1714 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:03 am

Funcrusher wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:

And sunddenly ANT makes this list of roadblocks. You guys are so prisoner of the moment its insane :lol:

If he has a subpar game tonight I'll take it back.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by jkvonny » Tue May 7, 2024 12:08 am

ChipotleWest wrote:Only two of those teams have won the NBA championship.

And they got the least amount of votes on this poll so far (Raptors and Pistons). :lol:
Currently treadmill, declining, rebuilding type teams.

While the others are ascending, on the rise. May get one in the future.
jkvonny
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by jkvonny » Tue May 7, 2024 12:11 am

giberish wrote:
jkvonny wrote:I'm surprised the Magic, Pacers, Pistons have yet to have a player win MVP award. Even the Nets. Going back decades. Interesting!

Well the Nets (and I assume the Pacers as well) have ABA MVPs (assuming such an award was given).

You are correct! :D

Mel Daniels (Pacers.... RIP ) and Dr J (Nets).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABA_Most_Valuable_Player_Award
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,533

Post#20 » by Saints14 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:31 am

I'd bet against any current player on these rosters winning MVP but Haliburton was actually playing at an MVP level for a few months this year so if I had to pick I'd bet him. In reality it might be the Pistons or Hornets if they're still awful for the next few years and get Cooper Flagg or someone else

Return to The General Board