Timberwolves-Nuggets refs (Game 2)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Grade?

Poll ended at Wed May 8, 2024 3:06 am

A
30%
B
23%
C
13%
D
13%
F
20%

Total votes: 69

Shaka_Zulu
Sixth Man
And1: 2,087

Re: Timberwolves-Nuggets refs (Game 2) 

Post#21 » by Shaka_Zulu » Tue May 7, 2024 11:37 am

Some inconsistent calls confusing players throughout.

But mainly big things being Malone comes on court to attack ref and gets no tech, no ejection.

And worst thing I seen in ages go unpunished. A player who not once but twice throws in items into court from bench. Absolutely nothing happens to him.
Tony15
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,897

Post#22 » by Tony15 » Tue May 7, 2024 11:52 am

I haven't consumed every playoff series, but the officiating has been terrible all around (as has been every postseason to be frank).

That being said, you can't lose a home playoff game by 26 & blame officials no matter how bad they are.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
jefe
General Manager
And1: 646

Post#23 » by jefe » Tue May 7, 2024 11:54 am

B. Between calling ticky tack fouls and turning the game into a parade to the free throw line versus letting them play, I'll always go the latter.
KayDee35
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,675

Re: Timberwolves-Nuggets refs 

Post#24 » by KayDee35 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:34 pm

SUPERVILLAIN wrote:
KayDee35 wrote:The Nuggets would have lost this game regardless. Minny was clearly the better team in this game.

That said, the reffing in the 1st half is some of the worst in the playoffs primarily because it was so inconsistent. The Nuggets were trying to read the refs minds and guessed wrong every time. The frustration was real from a usually composed team.

And if you've watched the Nuggets get down to teams before, you know that this is not how they generally react. The refs were lucky that their mismanagement of the game didn't end as badly as it could have.

I expect Minny to win this series but I'd prefer to see them win without the refs jobbing the other team as badly as they did today.

There is no conspiracy here. The NBA does not hate the Nuggets. The refs didn't put money on Minny. BUT everyone can have an off day on the job. The refs, like Denver, had a bad day. It happens. But pretending like it wasn't a bad day requires some serious mental gymnastics.

Totally agreed. Personally, I consider the first half as the worst officiating I have seen in recent times. The refs seriously f*cked the game. They were very, very inconsistent. So many missed calls that are usually called. Moreover, no tech given for Mike Malone. They were absolutely bad.

You point to the real danger that comes with reffing inconsistently.

The refs had the feeling or knew that they were missing calls or making bad calls. And when you're aware that your refereeing is inconsistent, you will let players and coaches get away with being more vocal or demonstrative about it. Because if you punish someone objecting to a bad call, that's two undeserved punishments. Which goes against what the ref's job is: To keep the game fair.

Malone should have gotten a tech. Murray should have gotten a tech or ejection. But the refs knew they were botching calls and so they swallowed their whistles on these techs.

Oftentimes, following complaining from the coach or the star, the refs will give the aggrieved team a couple of easy whistles in their favor in the next few minutes. That did not happen in this game, which compounded Denver's frustration.

I hope the league uses footage from the first half of this game as an example of what not to do.
Rendei
Sixth Man
And1: 2,528

Post#25 » by Rendei » Tue May 7, 2024 12:40 pm

KayDee35 wrote:The Nuggets would have lost this game regardless. Minny was clearly the better team in this game.

That said, the reffing in the 1st half is some of the worst in the playoffs primarily because it was so inconsistent. The Nuggets were trying to read the refs minds and guessed wrong every time. The frustration was real from a usually composed team.

And if you've watched the Nuggets get down to teams before, you know that this is not how they generally react. The refs were lucky that their mismanagement of the game didn't end as badly as it could have.

I expect Minny to win this series but I'd prefer to see them win without the refs jobbing the other team as badly as they did today.

There is no conspiracy here. The NBA does not hate the Nuggets. The refs didn't put money on Minny. BUT everyone can have an off day on the job. The refs, like Denver, had a bad day. It happens. But pretending like it wasn't a bad day requires some serious mental gymnastics.

Exactly this. The consistency needs to be much better. And it really has nothing to do with the outcome of this game, which was a Denver L any way you slice it. I got frustrated watching it and I'm rooting for Minnesota to finally have a year. I think the refs also knew they were making a mess of things, which is why they allowed Malone to just go off.
Wagonband
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,199

Post#26 » by Wagonband » Tue May 7, 2024 12:50 pm

Refs let them play this game. They didn't call flailing. Yes they missed a few calls in favor of the Wolves, but it wasn't as egregious as Nuggets fans want to show
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,435

Post#27 » by brutalitops » Tue May 7, 2024 1:02 pm

Zeno wrote:While I think the result would be the same regardless, they are allowing a degree of physicality that is not typically allowed. Since Denver doesn’t play this style, it vastly favours the Wolves. But as I said, Nuggets weren’t winning this regardless.

Nuggets also play a physical defense

Gonna say, super surprised Malone didn't get tossed Ant got a tech for looking at Big government game 1. we got some really bad calls game 1 but kept our composure. Nuggets felt like they got a raw deal and didn't.
moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,031

Post#28 » by moss_is_1 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:10 pm

sanima233 wrote:denver would be loosing either way, but refs have been super inconsistent. They are letting everything go, except when it comes to ANT, he still gets calls.

Wolves are insanely physical, so many potential fouls uncalled, If the refs lets them play that way consistently, they winning the chip.

Ant still gets some calls, but Jaden and Kat get a lot of soft ass fouls called on them.
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,046

Post#29 » by BelgradeNugget » Tue May 7, 2024 2:08 pm

Refering was terible, espacilly in the first half mostly against Nuggets.
I even wouldn't say it was pro Wolves because there were some missed fouls that should have been called on Nuggets players too, but less.
Wolves were better team and deserved victory in this game.
In game 1 there was terible missed call when KCP fauled Ant.
Murray should be fined.
All can be truth.
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,518

Post#30 » by Ambrose » Tue May 7, 2024 3:59 pm

I thought the Wolves got a pretty favorable whistle early (they were dominating regardless, that's no excuse) but the way the Nuggets reacted was ridiculous. They should have gotten numerous techs in that first half. In that regard, it was bad on both ends.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,550

Post#31 » by CIN-C-STAR » Tue May 7, 2024 5:39 pm

Dirk wrote:

Not only wasn't the coached thrown out... not even a tech called.

Can someone clue me in on what he was so mad about?
I honestly thought he was just trying to get tossed or at least a T to try to fire his team up, after he talked about getting off to better starts coming in but his team came out disconnected and lethargic.
Because the play that proceeded his outburst was just terrible defense. KCP was on the ground after but it didn't look like ANT threw an elbow to clear him out or raised his knee to cheap shot him down low. Just looked like a normal play tbh.
Was it the non-call on KAT a few plays prior?
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,499

Post#32 » by MrGoat » Tue May 7, 2024 7:17 pm

If you wanted more F votes this thread should have been about the Knicks Pacers game
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,934

Post#33 » by Fo-Real » Tue May 7, 2024 7:54 pm

SUPERVILLAIN wrote:I have seen very mixed comments around social media. I won't say anything as I don't want to sway people's opinions.

Honestly, what do you think?

Not a fan of either team, but I thought they were atrocious toward the Nuggets. Allowed straight muggings and beatings on Denver players.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,387

Post#34 » by pipfan » Tue May 7, 2024 8:13 pm

I was shocked watching this game. The refs had no bearing on the outcome, but this game (all the playoffs, but this game more than any other) was SOOOOO far away from the way a game is called in the RS that I was turned off. I love physical play and defense, but there were way too many times they swallowed the whistle and let obvious contact go (for both teams)
WangZhiZhiRules
Junior
And1: 293

Post#35 » by WangZhiZhiRules » Tue May 7, 2024 8:45 pm

CIN-C-STAR wrote:
Dirk wrote:

Not only wasn't the coached thrown out... not even a tech called.

Can someone clue me in on what he was so mad about?
I honestly thought he was just trying to get tossed or at least a T to try to fire his team up, after he talked about getting off to better starts coming in but his team came out disconnected and lethargic.
Because the play that proceeded his outburst was just terrible defense. KCP was on the ground after but it didn't look like ANT threw an elbow to clear him out or raised his knee to cheap shot him down low. Just looked like a normal play tbh.
Was it the non-call on KAT a few plays prior?

I would imagine it's the non-call. Looks like on that play Murray is the primary defender, he's outside the restricted area, and he appears to have his feet set (although I don't know how much time you need to do this in the NBA), so it's quite possibly a charge on KAT.

However there is no charge, or defensive foul, on the ANT play, so I'm not sure why Malone would choose that time to run onto the court....
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,609

Post#36 » by Myth » Tue May 7, 2024 8:53 pm

jordb2k7 wrote:I think Malone and Murray should be ejected. Absolutely inexcusable behavior

If Murray doesn’t get suspended for G3 I don’t know what to think anymore. The game should have been stopped to figure out where that heat pack came from. This wasn’t some wine mom on the sideline throwing it out there

I gave it an F for these alone. When a player and a coach should have been ejected but continue to be there, and heck not even assessed technicals, it means the refs have failed. It is no different than when refs become hesitant you give Draymond a 2nd T. Luckily, this game wasn’t determined by the refs so it ultimately doesn’t matter. In both situations, Reggie Miller commented that the ref showed great restraint not giving techs, but I hate that techs are apparently determined by ref reactions rather than consistency. Consistency of how games are called are probably the biggest problem the NBA has and here is Reggie complimenting a ref for it.
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,789

Post#37 » by ForeverTFC » Tue May 7, 2024 9:00 pm

jordb2k7 wrote:I think Malone and Murray should be ejected. Absolutely inexcusable behavior

If Murray doesn’t get suspended for G3 I don’t know what to think anymore. The game should have been stopped to figure out where that heat pack came from. This wasn’t some wine mom on the sideline throwing it out there

I'm pretty sure there's precedent for this and it's a $100k fine, not a suspension. Not saying a suspension shouldn't be contemplated, but not sure why it should be the expectation?
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,869

Post#38 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 7, 2024 9:13 pm

C? It's not been good or clear...but they aren't impacting the game.
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 943

Post#39 » by Special_Puppy » Tue May 7, 2024 9:13 pm

You can't be crying about the refs after you lose by 25+ points on your home court lol
SUPERVILLAIN
Analyst
And1: 12,280

Post#40 » by SUPERVILLAIN » Sat May 11, 2024 4:50 am

Yeah the refs were horrendous indeed. The inconsitent calls in the 1st half of game 2 killed the Nuggets.

Nuggets clearly did fine in game 3. They simply got screwed in game 2.
Young Stapler wrote:Completely off topic but SUPERVILLAIN got a crazy post/And1 ratio O_O

Just an observation. Carry on :usa:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2135964&p=94616946#p94616946

Return to The General Board