Jokic is NOT him

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

picc
RealGM
And1: 18,186

Re: Jokic is NOT him 

Post#21 » by picc » Tue May 7, 2024 6:18 am

I don't like that he's getting away with being a zero defensively. No one else with his reputation would skate on that.

He was at least competing on that end last year. This year he's a traffic cone and might as well not even be there. And its hurting them a lot now that they're playing a real team.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,472

Post#22 » by dygaction » Tue May 7, 2024 6:22 am

CobraCommander wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I don’t think you can claim a 3x MVP, Champion, and FMVP as “not him”.

I feel like that is one of those things, once you hit that peak it’s not something that can be taken away.

3 time mvp? Are you actually Big Perk or is this Eyeatoma’s burner?

I’m counting 4 time MVP

J/k I know you a real one - but he is the 4 time mvp

If you do not switch quick, Ant wagon will be too full
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,818

Post#23 » by TinmanZBoy » Tue May 7, 2024 6:25 am

picc wrote:I don't like that he's getting away with being a zero defensively. No one else with his reputation would skate on that.

He was at least competing on that end last year. This year he's a traffic cone and might as well not even be there. And its hurting them a lot now that they're playing a real team.

He is really really bad at the rim this playoff... he actually improved a lot in regular season though
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
Deathray
Junior
And1: 124

Post#24 » by Deathray » Tue May 7, 2024 6:29 am

DavidSterned wrote:The whole he is/isn't him thing needs to die a painful death.

Yeah swap teams and put Ant on the Nuggets and Jokic on the Wolves and tell me which team gets blown out.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,260

Post#25 » by Edrees » Tue May 7, 2024 6:31 am

It's not easy to repeat titles. only Kobe + Shaq , Lebron + Wade, and the teamup of Curry + KD have been able to do in since Jordan retired. Most players get satisfied after one title and don't work as hard after that, and they have to get humbled to get the drive again.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,964

Post#26 » by Chuck Everett » Tue May 7, 2024 6:31 am

picc wrote:I don't like that he's getting away with being a zero defensively. No one else with his reputation would skate on that.

Not trying to excuse it, because I believe his defense has been inexcusable, but I just want to add a nugget to this (see what I did there?)

Through seven playoff games thus far: Deandre Jordan (9 mins, game 3 vs LAL) and Zeke Nnaji (3 mins tonight).

12 minutes total for your backup bigs through seven playoff games and three of those minutes were garbage time. That's an organizational failure more than anything else. And it has been like that all season.

The truth is, Jokic should have never been in the running to win MVP in the first place. It should have been Shai and Luka battling for it. The Nuggets needed Jokic to play at the level he did, with the minutes he played just to be in the running to win the division/capture #1 seed. Jokic played 79 games this year coming off a championship at 35 mins per night. It's commendable, but it probably should have been 70-72 and 32 minutes a night. He seriously has nothing left to prove in the regular season. If the Nuggets don't find capable backups in the frontcourt (PF/C), however, the same thing will happen again next season.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 8,845

Post#27 » by AleksandarN » Tue May 7, 2024 6:36 am

Deathray wrote:
DavidSterned wrote:The whole he is/isn't him thing needs to die a painful death.

Yeah swap teams and put Ant on the Nuggets and Jokic on the Wolves and tell me which team gets blown out.

That makes no sense.
PaulLee
Sophomore
And1: 261

Post#28 » by PaulLee » Tue May 7, 2024 6:40 am

sikma42 wrote:
PaulLee wrote:Agreed that his body language and efforts seem to be wavering, but lets put the brakes on saying he's not him. He's already shown he's him. He's allowed to have these games and series for that matter. All the greats have them. Lets see how he handles the rest of the series.

They also get killed for having them. 2 weeks ago Jokic was playing at a level that was deemed: Greatesf offensive basketball player EVER!

Fast forward to today, and we can’t talk about how off that looks. He’s getting outplayed and may lose his spot as best player in the league.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Oh no we def can talk about it, but I'm just saying we cant say he's definitively "NOT him".
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,186

Post#29 » by picc » Tue May 7, 2024 6:45 am

Chuck Everett wrote:

Not trying to excuse it, because I believe his defense has been inexcusable, but I just want to add a nugget to this (see what I did there?)

Through seven playoff games thus far: Deandre Jordan (9 mins, game 3 vs LAL) and Zeke Nnaji (3 mins tonight).

12 minutes total for your backup bigs through seven playoff games and three of those minutes were garbage time. That's an organizational failure more than anything else. And it has been like that all season.

The truth is, Jokic should have never been in the running to win MVP in the first place. It should have been Shai and Luka battling for it. The Nuggets needed Jokic to play at the level he did, with the minutes he played just to be in the running to win the division. Jokic played 79 games this year coming off a championship at 35 mins per night. It's commendable, but it probably should have been 70-72 and 32 minutes a night. He seriously has nothing left to prove in the regular season. If the Nuggets don't find capable backups in the frontcourt (PF/C), however, the same thing will happen again next season.

32 minutes a night is hovering right above prime Manu Ginobili minutes. I don't think its realistic to expect any star with a major team role to do that. Even Steph was playing 34mpg during '16 when he was consistently sitting out 4th quarters. Shaq was putting in 40mpg seasons in our 3-peat years. Jokic playing 35mpg is an extraordinarily generous load as far as MVP level players are concerned.

Could they use a better backup C? Absolutely. That's an organizational failure without a doubt. But I have no issue with his minutes, especially if he's going to spend half of them standing around while opposing players waltz to the rim.
ryguy613
Sixth Man
And1: 1,756

Post#30 » by ryguy613 » Tue May 7, 2024 6:46 am

I can assure you, Jokic is, in fact, him.
Sidthekid87
Sixth Man
And1: 3,004

Post#31 » by Sidthekid87 » Tue May 7, 2024 6:47 am

This **** is so silly and this is why NBA fans are far and away the worst fans in sports. He literally won a championship last year with a non super team (I'd actually argue they'd be a bottom 5 team in the NBA without him), and is a 3x MVP. They're overmatched and he's having a bit of a rough series, against a team that's built to slow him down (24-12-9 btw), it happens. And it does look bleak but the series isn't over, these are all premature.
styLesdavis
Rookie
And1: 652

Post#32 » by styLesdavis » Tue May 7, 2024 6:48 am

Some threads are just stupid and it should be allowed to call them out.
Sidthekid87
Sixth Man
And1: 3,004

Post#33 » by Sidthekid87 » Tue May 7, 2024 6:49 am

And yes, his defense has been inexcusable, but in no way does a early playoff exit suddenly take away everything that he's accomplished in the last 4 years.
AleksandarN
Head Coach

Post#34 » by AleksandarN » Tue May 7, 2024 6:51 am

Jokic this series reminds me of 2010 Lebron giving up on the Cavs knowing they don’t have it
ryguy613
Sixth Man
And1: 1,756

Post#35 » by ryguy613 » Tue May 7, 2024 6:51 am

Sidthekid87 wrote:This **** is so silly and this is why NBA fans are far and away the worst fans in sports. He literally won a championship last year with a non super team (I'd actually argue they'd be a bottom 5 team in the NBA without him), and is a 3x MVP. They're overmatched and he's having a bit of a rough series, against a team that's built to slow him down (24-12-9 btw), it happens. And it does look bleak but the series isn't over, these are all premature.

nba fans are the most out of pocket, and i say that as an nba fan first and foremost... but yeah baseball fans have waaaay more perspective, and nfl fans are passionate, but generally speak facts more often than not. Something about the nba has created a culture of hot takes, stans, trolls, and amnesia.
TheShow2021
Junior
And1: 546

Post#36 » by TheShow2021 » Tue May 7, 2024 6:55 am

The officiating is much different for this series, and the extra physicality favors the Wolves. How is that not one of the first things mentioned? It's the most clear and obvious difference from last year. After the All Star Break the physicality permitted by the refs went from a 3 to a 7, and this series it's a 10.

This reminds me when Dwight Howard was allowed to go jiu jitsu on Jokic.
TheFire
Senior
And1: 1,041

Post#37 » by TheFire » Tue May 7, 2024 6:55 am

ryguy613 wrote:
Sidthekid87 wrote:This **** is so silly and this is why NBA fans are far and away the worst fans in sports. He literally won a championship last year with a non super team (I'd actually argue they'd be a bottom 5 team in the NBA without him), and is a 3x MVP. They're overmatched and he's having a bit of a rough series, against a team that's built to slow him down (24-12-9 btw), it happens. And it does look bleak but the series isn't over, these are all premature.

nba fans are the most out of pocket, and i say that as an nba fan first and foremost... but yeah baseball fans have waaaay more perspective, and nfl fans are passionate, but generally speak facts more often than not. Something about the nba has created a culture of hot takes, stans, trolls, and amnesia.

In general, today’s sports media is extremely toxic just like political media. You see it both on social media but also on ESPN. I’m afraid it’s been going to only get worse.
LaLover11
Bench Warmer
And1: 835

Post#38 » by LaLover11 » Tue May 7, 2024 6:56 am

Overated Pau Gasol
Bronny will become Murray 2.0
TheFire
Senior
And1: 1,041

Post#39 » by TheFire » Tue May 7, 2024 6:59 am

LaLover11 wrote:Overated Pau Gasol

You mad he’s won 13 out of the last 14 against your team??
AleksandarN
Head Coach

Post#40 » by AleksandarN » Tue May 7, 2024 6:59 am

LaLover11 wrote:Overated Pau Gasol

In know Pau Gasol is overrated like every laker except Magic and Kareem

Return to The General Board