Jokic is NOT him

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,997

Re: Jokic is NOT him 

Post#61 » by Froob » Tue May 7, 2024 10:05 am

GSP wrote:Image

**** like this is not normal. Denver got lucky as hell they closed out game 5 b/c the 0-3 had a real shot of happening

Being this lackadaisical and thinking u can turn it on whenever like its 2k wont work long term

The amount of people writing this off was crazy. I didn’t buy it at all that the Nuggets just didn’t take them seriously. Denver doesn’t have another gear.

And that’s typically what happens. Learned the hard way in 2019 with Boston. There’s rarely a switch that can be flipped to suddenly fix all your problems in the playoffs.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Andri
Junior
And1: 286

Post#62 » by Andri » Tue May 7, 2024 10:28 am

The Nuggets have been dominated by Wolves with no mercy. I am not taking that away.

But also it is true that they have been murdering Jokic in the paint. I am not talking about the usual (and appreciated from my side) playoff officiating. I am talking about blatant fouls that yesterday could have taken KAT out for extended periods.

Let's see if Joker finally takes the challenge at Minnesota, and if the officiating is consistent.
He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot.
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,375

Post#63 » by Jedi32 » Tue May 7, 2024 11:21 am

Edrees wrote:It's not easy to repeat titles. only Kobe + Shaq , Lebron + Wade, and the teamup of Curry + KD have been able to do in since Jordan retired. Most players get satisfied after one title and don't work as hard after that, and they have to get humbled to get the drive again.

You forgot Kobe and gasol.
AdagioPace
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,259

Post#64 » by AdagioPace » Tue May 7, 2024 11:27 am

for those not understanding murican slang, what does "not HIM" mean? maybe not having attributes?
"La natura gode della natura; la natura trionfa sulla natura; la natura domina la natura" - Ostanes
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,375

Post#65 » by Jedi32 » Tue May 7, 2024 11:29 am

Never bought a lot of the hype, great player nonetheless.
Airmiess
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,536

Post#66 » by Airmiess » Tue May 7, 2024 11:38 am

AdagioPace wrote:for those not understanding murican slang, what does "not HIM" mean? maybe not having attributes?

Lacking "It" factor or virtuoso in a particular field.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,305

Post#67 » by Archx » Tue May 7, 2024 11:47 am

AdagioPace wrote:for those not understanding murican slang, what does "not HIM" mean? maybe not having attributes?

Probably means it's his brother Strahinja playing. Nikola is already in Serbia racing with horses.

But yeah, i don't know who started this BS "him" thing, makes no sense to anyone outside of US i guess :o
r0drig0lac
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,396

Post#68 » by r0drig0lac » Tue May 7, 2024 11:52 am

1/10 thread
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,292

Post#69 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue May 7, 2024 12:01 pm

Just a dumb take. Jokic and the Nuggets are having a bad series and suddenly the last 5 years means nothing. Prisoners of the moment.
aka: prorl
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,446

Post#70 » by hardenASG13 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:06 pm

AleksandarN wrote:He is playing like it this series. We can talk about all of the injuries and not having an Allstar teammate but the problem is that he is not stepping up. This is the worst series I seen him play. He seems like he doesn’t care. He has no drive. Not aggressive at all on both ends of the floor. He has poor body language.

Been trying to tell you that, repeatedly. First real competition and he's being completely exposed. The wolves are really enjoying the layup line. Jokic doesn't lead or elevate in adversity, and didn't have to last year. It was the weakest path I've ever seen.
hardenASG13
Analyst

Post#71 » by hardenASG13 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:08 pm

PaulLee wrote:Agreed that his body language and efforts seem to be wavering, but lets put the brakes on saying he's not him. He's already shown he's him. He's allowed to have these games and series for that matter. All the greats have them. Lets see how he handles the rest of the series.

He didn't play a single good team last year. This is the first, and he's folding.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,651

Post#72 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Tue May 7, 2024 12:11 pm

Jokic is incredible. Easily the best in the league. Props to Minnesota.
hardenASG13
Analyst

Post#73 » by hardenASG13 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:12 pm

AleksandarN wrote:Jokic this series reminds me of 2010 Lebron giving up on the Cavs knowing they don’t have it

This is his first real adversity though. Lebron balled in many playoffs before that, against rosters better than his. This is Jokics first taste (even though Denver had homecourt and was the favorites here), and he's crumbling.
kingr
Head Coach
And1: 2,756

Post#74 » by kingr » Tue May 7, 2024 12:15 pm

The problem I see is, he was actually trying to destroy AD and others in the post 1v1, against the timber wolves, he's not even trying to as aggressive. But then again, minne has like 3 7fters as opposed to 1.
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,750

Post#75 » by Cubbies2120 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:15 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I don’t think you can claim a 3x MVP, Champion, and FMVP as “not him”.

I feel like that is one of those things, once you hit that peak it’s not something that can be taken away.

3 time MVP, who would have lost all 3 MVPS if Embiid were healthy. Embiid was leading voters or neck and neck when he got hurt each time.

:lol: Somehow Embiid would have three-peated in MVP without rings, something that was held against Jokic....

Actually, without making it past the 2nd round*
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,660

Post#76 » by eyeatoma » Tue May 7, 2024 12:31 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I don’t think you can claim a 3x MVP, Champion, and FMVP as “not him”.

I feel like that is one of those things, once you hit that peak it’s not something that can be taken away.

3 time MVP, who would have lost all 3 MVPS if Embiid were healthy. Embiid was leading voters or neck and neck when he got hurt each time.

Somehow Embiid would have three-peated in MVP without rings, something that was held against Jokic....

Actually, without making it past the 2nd round*
You okay? Must be having a melt down with the Nuggets two losses away from Cancun.

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk
Airmiess
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,536

Post#77 » by Airmiess » Tue May 7, 2024 12:32 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:Jokic this series reminds me of 2010 Lebron giving up on the Cavs knowing they don’t have it

This is his first real adversity though. Lebron balled in many playoffs before that, against rosters better than his. This is Jokics first taste (even though Denver had homecourt and was the favorites here), and he's crumbling.

Because he doesn't have passion by his own admission..

Its different when you're just flat out better than the other teams, because then somebody like him will shine in those situations but when you actually have to play up to an opponent then lack of passion will be a glaring weakness.
hardenASG13
Analyst

Post#78 » by hardenASG13 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:35 pm

Airmiess wrote:
hardenASG13 wrote:

Because he doesn't have passion by his own admission..

Its different when you're just flat out better than the other teams, because then somebody like him will shine in those situations but when you actually have to play up to an opponent then lack of passion will be a glaring weakness.

Yup. Been saying that since last year, arguing with the Jokic fanatics blinded by stats and advanced rating systems. Maybe they will understand that now.
sammo89
Junior
And1: 207

Post#79 » by sammo89 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:43 pm

Having a tubby, slow, lackadaisical, shy, foreign 7 footer as a leader of a dynasty would have been horrible for the league. Pack him up, Ant.
TheNG
Rookie
And1: 1,442

Post#80 » by TheNG » Tue May 7, 2024 12:47 pm

Edrees wrote:It's not easy to repeat titles. only Kobe + Shaq , Lebron + Wade, and the teamup of Curry + KD have been able to do in since Jordan retired. Most players get satisfied after one title and don't work as hard after that, and they have to get humbled to get the drive again.

So you give as an example:
Kobe + Shaq (2 top15 players all time at least)
LeBron + Wade (1 top5 and 1 top30)
And Curry + Durant (2 top 20)
All of them won MVPs except for Wade who came up 3rd one time.

And your explanation is "don't work as hard after one title"
I'll give another explanation: Maybe Murray was never even a top20 player in the league (not all time).

Just give Jokic another MVP or MVP calibar player to play with and then let's compare apples to apples.
If you have more "Posts" than "And1", don't feel bad if I didn't reply to you - I just don't like to speak with people who argue a lot :beer:

Return to The General Board