Jokic is NOT him

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 12,957

Re: Jokic is NOT him 

Post#101 » by Chuck Everett » Tue May 7, 2024 2:05 pm

sikma42 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:Only 40 guys in the whole league played 33 or more minutes this year. This is a very different league than when Manu was playing.

To be fair, looks like the majority of all stars play that many minutes per game. If Jokic can’t handle it, then it might be a knock on his ability. Repeating is hard for a reason tbf

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

How many are also playing 79 regular season games with those minutes? Not many, if any.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,652

Post#102 » by EmpireFalls » Tue May 7, 2024 2:10 pm

lambchop wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
EmpireFalls wrote:Joker’s offense has still been mostly fine but his defense has been really bad, in fact the Lakers series it was also bad. Not a good sign.

No Jokic offfense has not been fine. You are the best player in the league and you shoot 13 times. That’s unacceptable. This is almost as bad as Kobe ‘s Lakers vs Suns bad aggression.

He wasn't passing up shots though. He simply wasn't getting any open looks. Whoever the Wolves put on him seems to be fine in single coverage. They force him to put the ball on the floor and he doesn't look as comfortable as he usually does. Normally Jokic can dribble and simply look off other defenders as his teammates move into spots. However, the Wolves swarm everything and that is forcing the Nuggets into shot clock violations.

Another issue is that they need about 6 to 8 seconds just to get over half court. And, even when they do, their still somewhere in the corner near half court. Then they call some lame offense and have zero flow. The Wolves are putting on a clinic. I'm really not sure how the Nuggets solve this.

Right, they don’t have the secondary ball handling and it really really shows. They can’t even get entry passes to Jokic until 14-16 seconds into the shot clock and he has to work so hard for it. Being picked up at half court is really working. Add to that, they don’t have a backup center, and Jokic is getting absolutely torn apart on defense and having to expend way more energy than he wants? Losing battle.

It’s very bad news. Especially if the series continues with the referees going prison-ball rules. I honestly think Denver needs to lean into the flopping dark arts to punish the Minnesota physicality or else this will keep happening.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,789

Post#103 » by sikma42 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:10 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
sikma42 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:Only 40 guys in the whole league played 33 or more minutes this year. This is a very different league than when Manu was playing.

To be fair, looks like the majority of all stars play that many minutes per game. If Jokic can’t handle it, then it might be a knock on his ability. Repeating is hard for a reason tbf

How many are also playing 79 regular season games with those minutes? Not many, if any.

If its too much for him, then its fault. People jump through circles to take all autonomy from Jokic unless it benefits him. Its his responsibility to put himself in position to be in top form right now. With that said, this isnt an issue of fatigue imo, he just isnt the athlete capable of handling this sustained pressure and he cant guard against a sustained attack like that. I've been saying it all year, guys like Wade or other slashers would make him look silly. Edwards isnt even (as a slasher) that class and it looks silly.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,869

Post#104 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:13 pm

sikma42 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
picc wrote:
32 minutes a night is hovering right above prime Manu Ginobili minutes. I don't think its realistic to expect any star with a major team role to do that. Even Steph was playing 34mpg during '16 when he was consistently sitting out 4th quarters. Shaq was putting in 40mpg seasons in our 3-peat years. Jokic playing 35mpg is an extraordinarily generous load as far as MVP level players are concerned.

Could they use a better backup C? Absolutely. That's an organizational failure without a doubt. But I have no issue with his minutes, especially if he's going to spend half of them standing around while opposing players waltz to the rim.

Only 40 guys in the whole league played 33 or more minutes this year. This is a very different league than when Manu was playing.

Well, pretty clearly Jokic has been able to play these big minutes. But it's pretty reasonable to think that a guy who's making deep playoff runs shouldn't be 9th in regular season minutes. There's a reason it's nearly impossible to repeat and when people do they tend to have another mega star with them. You just can't do it.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,552

Post#105 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 7, 2024 2:16 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I don’t think you can claim a 3x MVP, Champion, and FMVP as “not him”.

I feel like that is one of those things, once you hit that peak it’s not something that can be taken away.

You guys destroy any other superstar if they are choking a series away. Hell the Nuggets are the favorites and people still not trying to put blame on Jokic.

LeBron was getting blame for not pulling off the upset vs Denver 2 years in a row and he's 40!

This Jokic love must stop. He's not that guy like everyone thinks he is. Who cares about 3 MVPs the goal is to win a championship. Steve Nash has 2 MVPs who cares.

Y'all will slander Embiid with the quickness. Now that Jokic is choking you want to point to his MVPs sad and pathetic.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,271

Post#106 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue May 7, 2024 2:27 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I don’t think you can claim a 3x MVP, Champion, and FMVP as “not him”.

I feel like that is one of those things, once you hit that peak it’s not something that can be taken away.

You guys destroy any other superstar if they are choking a series away. Hell the Nuggets are the favorites and people still not trying to put blame on Jokic.

LeBron was getting blame for not pulling off the upset vs Denver 2 years in a row and he's 40!

This Jokic love must stop. He's not that guy like everyone thinks he is. Who cares about 3 MVPs the goal is to win a championship. Steve Nash has 2 MVPs who cares.

Y'all will slander Embiid with the quickness. Now that Jokic is choking you want to point to his MVPs sad and pathetic.

He has already won a championship...I don't understand this mindset as he has already won a title.
aka: prorl
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#107 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 7, 2024 2:32 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

He has already won a championship...I don't understand this mindset as he has already won a title.

Giannis has 1 championship.
Dirk has 1 championship.

Are they in the same conversation as MJ/LeBron?

Like cmon bro it's like saying if you win a championship your career is done. So you telling me Jokic is the GOAT debate with 1 championship?

I can name you other great players with multiple championships who aren't in the GOAT debate Shaq, Kobe, Wade, Kawhi, KD, Bird, Magic, Hakeem, Duncan.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,030

Post#108 » by Duke4life831 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:36 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

Ya I think this is pretty straight forward. Jokic has won multiple MVPs and has a championship and FMVP. His career playoff stats are also some of the best of all time. Jokic has already proved that he can reach the top of the mountain. That he is “HIM”.

When it comes to LeBron. I don’t think anything LeBron did this year hurt his legacy. I also don’t think anything LeBron did this year showed he was never “HIM”.

Embiid has yet to show he can carry a team to a championship. Until he does that, people are going to bring up the fact that he hasn’t done that, until he proves that he can.

I remember the full Dirk career arc. For the majority of his career he was called soft and couldn’t be trusted in the playoffs (even though he had plenty of times where he played amazing in the playoffs). But he had that tag on him all the way up until he won a championship.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#109 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 7, 2024 2:46 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:You guys destroy any other superstar if they are choking a series away. Hell the Nuggets are the favorites and people still not trying to put blame on Jokic.

Ya I think this is pretty straight forward. Jokic has won multiple MVPs and has a championship and FMVP. His career playoff stats are also some of the best of all time. Jokic has already proved that he can reach the top of the mountain. That he is “HIM”.

When it comes to LeBron. I don’t think anything LeBron did this year hurt his legacy. I also don’t think anything LeBron did this year showed he was never “HIM”.

Embiid has yet to show he can carry a team to a championship. Until he does that, people are going to bring up the fact that he hasn’t done that, until he proves that he can.

I remember the full Dirk career arc. For the majority of his career he was called soft and couldn’t be trusted in the playoffs (even though he had plenty of times where he played amazing in the playoffs). But he had that tag on him all the way up until he won a championship.

So Jokic is your GOAT because he has 3 MVPs and 1 championship.

My man that's a very low bar for the best player to ever play the game. MJ has 6 championships and 5 MVPs.

Your Jokic GOAT debate is lacking substance when there are players with more MVPs and Championships combined.

Cmon you a Dukie my man. I thought the people in Durham know their basketball.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,030

Post#110 » by Duke4life831 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:48 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:

My man that's a very low bar for the best player to ever play the game. MJ has 6 championships and 5 MVPs.

Your Jokic GOAT debate is lacking substance when there are players with more MVPs and Championships combined.

Where have I ever stated Jokic is my GOAT?
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 8,842

Post#111 » by AleksandarN » Tue May 7, 2024 2:53 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Yup the guy tries so hard to troll. He needs to make up stuff. It is hilarious.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#112 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 7, 2024 2:55 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

My bad this is the wrong thread. I'm sure you can forgive me given all these Jokic/MJ comparisons and GOAT threads. There are so many I got this topic confused with the other ones.

I apologize my good friend. :D
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#113 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 7, 2024 2:57 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:So Jokic is your GOAT because he has 3 MVPs and 1 championship.

Nope my good friend just got confused with the other Jokic GOAT threads.

Like I said you and I are best friends you just don't know it yet. 8-)
AleksandarN
Head Coach

Post#114 » by AleksandarN » Tue May 7, 2024 2:59 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

You troll I don’t. That’s the difference
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#115 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 7, 2024 3:02 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:Yup the guy tries so hard to troll. He needs to make up stuff. It is hilarious.

If I was trolling I would be banned already. I talk basketball, you just disagree with my opinions.

You give me so much attention to be a troll. It's why I know we have a lot in common. I wouldn't pay attention to a nobody. You clearly have interest in what I post.

Chess not Checkers. 8-)
AleksandarN
Head Coach

Post#116 » by AleksandarN » Tue May 7, 2024 3:03 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Nope my good friend just got confused with the other Jokic GOAT threads.

If I was trolling I would be banned already. I talk basketball, you just disagree with my opinions.

You give me so much attention to be a troll. It's why I know we have a lot in common. I wouldn't pay attention to a nobody. You clearly have interest in what I post.

Chess not Checkers. 8-)

Lol
AleksandarN
Head Coach

Post#117 » by AleksandarN » Tue May 7, 2024 3:05 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
AleksandarN wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Nope my good friend just got confused with the other Jokic GOAT threads.

Chess not Checkers. 8-)

Imagine private messaging someone pretending to be a member of the jokic family. Just to troll like you did in the past.
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,711

Post#118 » by Cubbies2120 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:12 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:

We slander Embiid because he has choked, year over year, repeatedly. Look at his regular season vs. playoff numbers...

Jokic raises his game in the playoffs vs. Regular Season...Embiid does not. The numbers back this up for almost a decade.

It's cute you're putting Jokic's 2 bad games against his 75 playoff game resume lol...
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#119 » by JustBuzzin » Tue May 7, 2024 3:14 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:

We slander Embiid because he has choked, year over year, repeatedly. Look at his regular season vs. playoff numbers...

Jokic raises his game in the playoffs vs. Regular Season...Embiid does not. The numbers back this up for almost a decade.

It's cute you're putting Jokic's 2 bad games against his 75 playoff game resume lol...
What about LeBron?
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 4,059

Post#120 » by bledredwine » Tue May 7, 2024 3:20 pm

I am starting to question his ability to go head to head with great defenders.

Dwight gave him some trouble back in the day, then Embiid and now this.

He's an ATG talent either way.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895

Return to The General Board