Jokic is not the best in the world, and has been heavily overrated

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Has Jokic been overrated?

Yes
17%
No
83%

Total votes: 546

doogie_hauser
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,332

Re: Jokic is not the best in the world, and has been heavily overrated 

Post#61 » by doogie_hauser » Tue May 7, 2024 1:36 pm

Philly/Sixers fans are such bitter sad sacks.

The arrogance of Philthy fans to think Embiid is above Giannis, let alone Joker of hilarious

Embiid got beaten down by Grant Williams (of all players) on a couple of previous playoff series in recent years FFS
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,474

Post#62 » by Hornet Mania » Tue May 7, 2024 1:39 pm

You guys need to chill out with the Jokic slander. I really don't want to see the Wolves suffer a backdoor sweep (I'm pulling for them to finally have some success) and you're tempting the basketball gods.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,382

Post#63 » by Woodsanity » Tue May 7, 2024 1:41 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:I've been saying this since his first mvp. He's an incredible system player, but he lacks competitive fire and toughness to be an ATG player. His MVP as a 6 seed will be locked at as THE worst mvp season in history. It'll make the Rose and Nash wins seem unanimous.

Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work. He can't take over without that second punch on the perimeter the way other ATGs could. Now that Murray has been exposed, so has Jokic. What's funny is that those really watching told you this year's ago when he only got the sixth seed without him.

To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him. Last year he took advantage of an injured field, and a weakened conference in a transition year. He had Murray playing like a superstar and to his credit got it done. But his awards don't match his greatness and in a few years everyone will come around to what I'm saying here right now.

Embiid? :lol:

The bum we eliminated who had a way better player than Jamal Murray as his 2nd option?
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
Woodsanity
RealGM

Post#64 » by Woodsanity » Tue May 7, 2024 1:44 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:I've been saying this since his first mvp. He's an incredible system player, but he lacks competitive fire and toughness to be an ATG player. His MVP as a 6 seed will be locked at as THE worst mvp season in history. It'll make the Rose and Nash wins seem unanimous.

Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work. He can't take over without that second punch on the perimeter the way other ATGs could. Now that Murray has been exposed, so has Jokic. What's funny is that those really watching told you this year's ago when he only got the sixth seed without him.

To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him. Last year he took advantage of an injured field, and a weakened conference in a transition year. He had Murray playing like a superstar and to his credit got it done. But his awards don't match his greatness and in a few years everyone will come around to what I'm saying here right now.

100% agree, but social media will hate this take. Hold down the fort, because this is clear as day.

Worry about passing the 2nd round k. :wink:

Swap teams and Joe L would still be 1st or 2nd round fodder.
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,573

Post#65 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue May 7, 2024 1:50 pm

These threads (while sadly not surprising) are beyond embarrassing. His dominant title run just never happened last year right?
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,238

Post#66 » by NYPiston » Tue May 7, 2024 1:51 pm

No he's not overrated, this is a dumb thread based on a 2 game sample size.

2 Time (really should have been 3 in a row) MVP with a dominant title run in which he won Finals MVP followed up by another MVP level season (one of the best 4 year runs in league history) yet we have nonsense like this thread calling him overrated because his TEAM got overwhelmed by a really freaking good team in 2 games. Please, stop with this. This is some social media toxic BS.
Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,671

Post#67 » by Infinite Llamas » Tue May 7, 2024 1:52 pm

People would rather **** on Jokic than give credit to the Wolves. Sad, but agendas gotta agenda.
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
Chokic
Senior
And1: 645

Post#68 » by Chokic » Tue May 7, 2024 1:53 pm

Stan wrote:Anyone who still argues Embiid over Jokic in 2024 instantly loses all credibility. The guy's a soon to be 3x MVP and had literally one of the greatest playoff runs ever last year, now all the vultures want to come out for his first subpar playoff play in years.

Sports fans in the social media era just suck.

Embiid when fully healthy is better than Jokic fully healthy. He outplays him in head to head majority of the time. And you can also see the huge drop off in sixers play when hes out. His impact on offense and defense can not be undestated. This is very clear to an unbiased non embiid hater. The problem is embiid almost always compromised due to him being injury prone and that's what keeps this comparison close or slight edge towards jokic.
UglyBugBall
Senior
And1: 730

Post#69 » by UglyBugBall » Tue May 7, 2024 1:54 pm

doogie_hauser wrote:Philly/Sixers fans are such bitter sad sacks.

The arrogance of Philthy fans to think Embiid is above Giannis, let alone Joker of hilarious

Embiid got beaten down by Grant Williams (of all players) on a couple of previous playoff series in recent years FFS

At least Embiid got shut down by a starter. Jokic getting shut down by Naz freakin' Reed.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,695

Post#70 » by Bergmaniac » Tue May 7, 2024 1:54 pm

Chokic wrote:Embiid when fully healthy is better than Jokic fully healthy. He outplays him in head to head majority of the time. And you can also see the huge drop off in sixers play when hes out. His impact on offense and defense can not be undestated. This is very clear to an unbiased non embiid hater. The problem is embiid almost always compromised due to him being injury prone and that's what keeps this comparison close or slight edge towards jokic.

Don't you ever get tired of embarassing yourself on this board over and over again?
UglyBugBall
Senior
And1: 730

Post#71 » by UglyBugBall » Tue May 7, 2024 1:55 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:You guys need to chill out with the Jokic slander. I really don't want to see the Wolves suffer a backdoor sweep (I'm pulling for them to finally have some success) and you're tempting the basketball gods.

Zero chance, Denver is cooked now.
Woodsanity
RealGM

Post#72 » by Woodsanity » Tue May 7, 2024 1:55 pm

Chokic wrote:
Stan wrote:Anyone who still argues Embiid over Jokic in 2024 instantly loses all credibility. The guy's a soon to be 3x MVP and had literally one of the greatest playoff runs ever last year, now all the vultures want to come out for his first subpar playoff play in years.

Sports fans in the social media era just suck.

Embiid when fully healthy is better than Jokic fully healthy. He outplays him in head to head majority of the time. And you can also see the huge drop off in sixers play when hes out. His impact on offense and defense can not be undestated. This is very clear to an unbiased non embiid hater. The problem is embiid almost always compromised due to him being injury prone and that's what keeps this comparison close or slight edge towards jokic.

Jokic usually is playing at 70% while Embiid is playing at 100% against scrub teams.

Jokic has double the durability as Glassbiid while being a better player at 100%.

Sad but true.

I would take Brunson over Embiid overall. Not him.

A bum who plays 40 games a season and still cant be healthy. :noway:

Even when healthy he's been swept in first round before.

indiegrind
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#73 » by indiegrind » Tue May 7, 2024 1:56 pm

Jokic is the best overall player in the world right now, but I feel he is overrated in all time greatness. You have to earn it with time and accomplishments.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,474

Post#74 » by Hornet Mania » Tue May 7, 2024 2:01 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
Hornet Mania wrote:You guys need to chill out with the Jokic slander. I really don't want to see the Wolves suffer a backdoor sweep (I'm pulling for them to finally have some success) and you're tempting the basketball gods.

Zero chance, Denver is cooked now.

Could be, but I've seen it before. Miami looked totally outmatched down 2-0 in the 2006 Finals but turned things around on a dime. I'll exhale after the 4th win.
kingr
Head Coach
And1: 2,732

Post#75 » by kingr » Tue May 7, 2024 2:07 pm

I see the balancing out of creating jokic is the best player since Jordan threads during the lakers series. I ain't mad at you OP.
Godymas
Veteran
And1: 2,354

Post#76 » by Godymas » Tue May 7, 2024 2:10 pm

yes, he’s literally Steve Nash at Center. Engine of an offense, but you can’t call him the best in the world when 50% of the game is on defense.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,475

Post#77 » by og15 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:12 pm

MMyhre wrote:I vote yes, because I actually he think he did a little bit of an Embiid with the regular season statpadding for MVP chase, and its taken a toll on his body so he is probably banged up at this point, thus not able to perform at his best. Even if its harder to tell with his non-athletic playstyle, small injuries add up and will hinder you from performing movement patterns at your best and most comfortable level ++.

I also think he should have worked more seriously on his athleticism, instead of just accepting that he is slow, because there are ways to enhance athleticism for EVERYONE, you just have to be open minded and put the work in and gradually change problem areas that limit your different types of movement/poor relative strength/mobility issues etc.

Oh come on.

The man lost a good amount of weight and is basically skinny now and developed very good conditioning. I'm not sure how much athleticism you think he can add, especially since we're judging his athleticism relative to other NBA players.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,869

Post#78 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:17 pm

og15 wrote:
MMyhre wrote:I vote yes, because I actually he think he did a little bit of an Embiid with the regular season statpadding for MVP chase, and its taken a toll on his body so he is probably banged up at this point, thus not able to perform at his best. Even if its harder to tell with his non-athletic playstyle, small injuries add up and will hinder you from performing movement patterns at your best and most comfortable level ++.

I also think he should have worked more seriously on his athleticism, instead of just accepting that he is slow, because there are ways to enhance athleticism for EVERYONE, you just have to be open minded and put the work in and gradually change problem areas that limit your different types of movement/poor relative strength/mobility issues etc.

Oh come on.

The man lost a good amount of weight and is basically skinny now and developed very good conditioning. I'm not sure how much athleticism you think he can add, especially since we're judging his athleticism relative to other NBA players.

Just going to put this here since we're talking about athleticism.

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,869

Post#79 » by dhsilv2 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:20 pm

Infinite Llamas wrote:People would rather **** on Jokic than give credit to the Wolves. Sad, but agendas gotta agenda.

Game 1 I think we gotta give it all to the wolves. Game 2....Jokic and the nuggets just crapped the bed. That was terrible.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,475

Post#80 » by og15 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:21 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
doogie_hauser wrote:Philly/Sixers fans are such bitter sad sacks.

At least Embiid got shut down by a starter. Jokic getting shut down by Naz freakin' Reed.

Lol, what kind of stuff is this, is this the kind of basketball discussion we're going to? Starters are inherently better defenders than bench players because of what exactly?

This is pretty ridiculous

dhsilv2 wrote:
og15 wrote:

Oh come on.

Just going to put this here since we're talking about athleticism.

Yea, the guy might not be a high jumper or fast sprinter, but we know he has great physical tools for basketball, but saying that he hasn't worked to be faster, quicker etc is pretty crazy. There's only so much one can do with those aspects just like other guys can't just work harder to make themselves have as strong a base or the same reaction time, etc.

Return to The General Board