Jokic is not the best in the world, and has been heavily overrated

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Has Jokic been overrated?

Yes
17%
No
83%

Total votes: 545

RB34
RealGM
And1: 15,244

Re: Jokic is not the best in the world, and has been heavily overrated 

Post#21 » by RB34 » Tue May 7, 2024 10:39 am

Jokic a system player?

What exactly is the system he’s playing in?
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,046

Post#22 » by BelgradeNugget » Tue May 7, 2024 10:41 am

UglyBugBall wrote:I've been saying this since his first mvp. He's an incredible system player, but he lacks competitive fire and toughness to be an ATG player. His MVP as a 6 seed will be locked at as THE worst mvp season in history. It'll make the Rose and Nash wins seem unanimous.

Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work. He can't take over without that second punch on the perimeter the way other ATGs could. Now that Murray has been exposed, so has Jokic. What's funny is that those really watching told you this year's ago when he only got the sixth seed without him.

To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him. Last year he took advantage of an injured field, and a weakened conference in a transition year. He had Murray playing like a superstar and to his credit got it done. But his awards don't match his greatness and in a few years everyone will come around to what I'm saying here right now.

You are wrong as usual. Nothing new
AIfan3
Head Coach
And1: 3,700

Post#23 » by AIfan3 » Tue May 7, 2024 10:43 am

I personally can't take a lot of modern stars seriously, save a couple (peak Curry/Kawhi maybe Giannis). Silver's shelling of anything resembling defense made it so. It's just really hard to compare players in this era of basketball to any other era. Especially offensively.
Tukkerwolf
Starter
And1: 2,189

Post#24 » by Tukkerwolf » Tue May 7, 2024 11:22 am

Players 'exposed' by the Wolves over the last two weeks:

-Beal
-Booker
-Durant
-Murray
-Jokic
UglyBugBall
Senior
And1: 730

Post#25 » by UglyBugBall » Tue May 7, 2024 11:23 am

BelgradeNugget wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:I've been saying this since his first mvp. He's an incredible system player, but he lacks competitive fire and toughness to be an ATG player. His MVP as a 6 seed will be locked at as THE worst mvp season in history. It'll make the Rose and Nash wins seem unanimous.

Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work. He can't take over without that second punch on the perimeter the way other ATGs could. Now that Murray has been exposed, so has Jokic. What's funny is that those really watching told you this year's ago when he only got the sixth seed without him.

To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him. Last year he took advantage of an injured field, and a weakened conference in a transition year. He had Murray playing like a superstar and to his credit got it done. But his awards don't match his greatness and in a few years everyone will come around to what I'm saying here right now.

I'm right 90% of the time. Way better than your 10-15%.
UglyBugBall
Senior
And1: 730

Post#26 » by UglyBugBall » Tue May 7, 2024 11:25 am

RB34 wrote:Jokic a system player?

The system is constant motion with elite athletes and finishers, where Jokic just has to pass the ball for them to complete the play. The system where Murray can bring the ball up and initiate the offense and close the game, and where he has to give you 25 to win. The system where he doesn't have to play defense because guys on the outside lock down driving lanes, or funnel guys baseline for traps.
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,224

Post#27 » by dolphinatik » Tue May 7, 2024 11:30 am

Jokic has played winning basketball and has been one of the best currently playing. one of the Goats is where I think the overrating starts coming in. I firmly believe Shaq would make him tap. If Jokic is not the best in the world currently he is easily in the top 10 currently playing.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 12,000

Post#28 » by Johnny Fontane » Tue May 7, 2024 12:00 pm

He’s the best, just been in over his head with Denver’s physicality and athleticism
BelgradeNugget
Veteran
And1: 3,046

Post#29 » by BelgradeNugget » Tue May 7, 2024 12:06 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
BelgradeNugget wrote:

I'm right 90% of the time. Way better than your 10-15%.

In your world in your head. Even this tread you created for haters is 67% against your takes. Jokic played 1 game as bad as Luka has played in these playoffs and now, out of nowhere he is in the same class :lol: And what to say about Embiid :lol: But they have to carry Kirie and Maxie, poor guys
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,384

Post#30 » by hardenASG13 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:16 pm

I wonder if this board will all say his MVP this year was phony if they lose to Minnesota, as they did with Embiid last year when he lost hurt in round 2? It's looking pretty bad, guy has no leadership. All time greats step up in these scenarios. Jokic has shown 0 fight or leadership, let alone good play.
hardenASG13
Analyst

Post#31 » by hardenASG13 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:19 pm

BDM22 wrote:Recency bias goes crazy

Some of us have been predicting this all year. This is the first good team he's faced including last year, and all the criticisms (turnstile at the rim, exaggerated passing ability and assist numbers, lack of passion and leadership) are just showing now that he's facing a legit team.
TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,930

Post#32 » by TravisScott55 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:24 pm

The conversation of him being in the tier of Lebron/Jordan/Bird/Duncan needs to end. There was no "bad match ups" for those guys that made them look this bad. When you are a generational player your talent supersedes any match up.
Stan
Sixth Man
And1: 2,499

Post#33 » by Stan » Tue May 7, 2024 12:25 pm

Anyone who still argues Embiid over Jokic in 2024 instantly loses all credibility. The guy's a soon to be 3x MVP and had literally one of the greatest playoff runs ever last year, now all the vultures want to come out for his first subpar playoff play in years.

Sports fans in the social media era just suck.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,626

Post#34 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Tue May 7, 2024 12:28 pm

Joker is and has been the best in the world and historically great for the past couple years. Luka and Embiid are crazy choices to put ahead of him.
RB34
RealGM
And1: 15,244

Post#35 » by RB34 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:29 pm

UglyBugBall wrote:
RB34 wrote:Jokic a system player?

The system is constant motion with elite athletes and finishers, where Jokic just has to pass the ball for them to complete the play. The system where Murray can bring the ball up and initiate the offense and close the game, and where he has to give you 25 to win. The system where he doesn't have to play defense because guys on the outside lock down driving lanes, or funnel guys baseline for traps.

And anyone can just plug and play in this system? Or do they need a specific skill set?
ChiTownHero1992
Veteran
And1: 1,577

Post#36 » by ChiTownHero1992 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:37 pm

Overreaction much....he is still dominant but he got his ring and multiple MVP's he isn't as hungry currently...we'll see if the drive kicks in. This happens with a lot of great players they get their taste and then coast the rest of their career. It takes a different level to be hungry for multiple championships and the GOAT conversation thats why there are only those handful that we ever talk about it in the conversation
Ritzo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,352

Post#37 » by Ritzo » Tue May 7, 2024 12:40 pm

If he's not, then who is?
Ssj16
Junior
And1: 563

Post#38 » by Ssj16 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:41 pm

TravisScott55 wrote:The conversation of him being in the tier of Lebron/Jordan/Bird/Duncan needs to end. There was no "bad match ups" for those guys that made them look this bad. When you are a generational player your talent supersedes any match up.

2011 says hello to Lebron. Also, Duncan never won back to back chips either and had been bounced out earlier in playoffs throughout his career after championship runs.
I'm just saying that Jokic still has a chance to catch Duncan career wise because his overall regular season and playoff stats are no joke.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,451

Post#39 » by BigGargamel » Tue May 7, 2024 12:42 pm

I agree. He definitely is not as good as Embiid and Luka, who have never lost in the playoffs and definitely have a title to their name.

Sometimes a guy struggles against great defenses. I know, weird concept.

This forum, man. :banghead:
hardenASG13
Analyst

Post#40 » by hardenASG13 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:44 pm

Ssj16 wrote:
TravisScott55 wrote:The conversation of him being in the tier of Lebron/Jordan/Bird/Duncan needs to end. There was no "bad match ups" for those guys that made them look this bad. When you are a generational player your talent supersedes any match up.

2011 says hello to Lebron.

The one time in a 15 year peak. The difference is LeBron had shown leadership and balled out against teams as good or better than his previously. Jokic hasn't, this is the first good team he's played over the last 2 years.

Return to The General Board