Jokic is not the best in the world, and has been heavily overrated

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Has Jokic been overrated?

Yes
17%
No
83%

Total votes: 546

Ssj16
Junior
And1: 565

Re: Jokic is not the best in the world, and has been heavily overrated 

Post#41 » by Ssj16 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:45 pm

I will keep saying it. I love Steph Curry, but his championships are diluted by teaming up with KD coupled with beating an injured Cavs team where he did not even win the finals MVP at the time. I think Curry overall has a better career than Jokic at the moment but at their peak, Jokic has done more with less in the playoffs and regular season when comparing peaks.
xinxin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376

Post#42 » by xinxin » Tue May 7, 2024 12:45 pm

Jokic is great but the Nuggets look overmatched by a more talented and hungrier team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,695

Post#43 » by Bergmaniac » Tue May 7, 2024 12:45 pm

Never change, General Board. The kneejerk tendencies here are always so hilarious.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,435

Post#44 » by brutalitops » Tue May 7, 2024 12:47 pm

guynumber45 wrote:
brutalitops wrote:Elite defensive team plays elite defense

Op- "IT MUST BE BECAUSE THIS PLAYER SUCKS"

Lmao it's funny how in NBA discourse, we never give credit to a team for limiting the opposing player. It's always "Player X is a fraud and has always been overrated"

Fact of the matter is, Nikola Jokic would still dominate 28 teams in the NBA. He just so happens to be playing the one team in the NBA that has a unique set of personnel to limit his effectiveness. Give Tim Connley and the Wolves credit for this.

16 points, 16 rebounds, 8 assists and running the offense is commendable. He's being picked up in the back court by great defenders and made to work. It shows he's human. Dudes still an amazing player
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,714

Post#45 » by Cubbies2120 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:48 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:I've been saying this since his first mvp. He's an incredible system player, but he lacks competitive fire and toughness to be an ATG player. His MVP as a 6 seed will be locked at as THE worst mvp season in history. It'll make the Rose and Nash wins seem unanimous.

Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work. He can't take over without that second punch on the perimeter the way other ATGs could. Now that Murray has been exposed, so has Jokic. What's funny is that those really watching told you this year's ago when he only got the sixth seed without him.

To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him. Last year he took advantage of an injured field, and a weakened conference in a transition year. He had Murray playing like a superstar and to his credit got it done. But his awards don't match his greatness and in a few years everyone will come around to what I'm saying here right now.

100% agree, but social media will hate this take. Hold down the fort, because this is clear as day.

Are you okay with me screenshotting a PM conversation with a mod where he states you're begging him/them to make me take down a sig earlier this year where you admitted post-Finals he was the best player in the game? Or will you report me to PMs? :lol:
brutalitops
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by brutalitops » Tue May 7, 2024 12:49 pm

BigGargamel wrote:
UglyBugBall wrote:I've been saying this since his first mvp. He's an incredible system player, but he lacks competitive fire and toughness to be an ATG player. His MVP as a 6 seed will be locked at as THE worst mvp season in history. It'll make the Rose and Nash wins seem unanimous.

Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work. He can't take over without that second punch on the perimeter the way other ATGs could. Now that Murray has been exposed, so has Jokic. What's funny is that those really watching told you this year's ago when he only got the sixth seed without him.

To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him. Last year he took advantage of an injured field, and a weakened conference in a transition year. He had Murray playing like a superstar and to his credit got it done. But his awards don't match his greatness and in a few years everyone will come around to what I'm saying here right now.

I agree. He definitely is not as good as Embiid and Luka, who have never lost in the playoffs and definitely have a title to their name.

Sometimes a guy struggles against great defenses. I know, weird concept.

This forum, man. :banghead:

Literally has 3 dudes on the court with 7 foot wingspans who are cutting off passing lanes and picking him up 90 feet getting him to give up the ball people expect him to somehow be able to turn into DeAaron fox
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,656

Post#47 » by EmpireFalls » Tue May 7, 2024 12:51 pm

He has been overrated with the best player since Jordan stuff, but only slightly. Still a wonderful offensive player but his defense is a clear issue.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,644

Post#48 » by ropjhk » Tue May 7, 2024 12:52 pm

Overrated perhaps but he's still the best in the world right now. People just got to put the brakes on any top 10 all time discussions.
KayDee35
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,675

Post#49 » by KayDee35 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:55 pm

MMyhre wrote:I vote yes, because I actually he think he did a little bit of an Embiid with the regular season statpadding for MVP chase, and its taken a toll on his body so he is probably banged up at this point, thus not able to perform at his best. Even if its harder to tell with his non-athletic playstyle, small injuries add up and will hinder you from performing movement patterns at your best and most comfortable level ++.

I also think he should have worked more seriously on his athleticism, instead of just accepting that he is slow, because there are ways to enhance athleticism for EVERYONE, you just have to be open minded and put the work in and gradually change problem areas that limit your different types of movement/poor relative strength/mobility issues etc.

I can't tell if you're being serious or just trolling because this take is way out there. :o
jg77
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,429

Post#50 » by jg77 » Tue May 7, 2024 12:56 pm

Overrated? Idk.

But I don't think he's 3x MVP good.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,561

Post#51 » by eyeatoma » Tue May 7, 2024 1:04 pm

Cubbies2120 wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

100% agree, but social media will hate this take. Hold down the fort, because this is clear as day.

Are you okay with me screenshotting a PM conversation with a mod where he states you're begging him/them to make me take down a sig earlier this year where you admitted post-Finals he was the best player in the game? Or will you report me to PMs? :lol:

Ah once again talking without context, and not including everything else in the conversation. Dude, you have been outed so many times on this forum. Go back to making crappy reddit threads about Embiid where even fans on the Nuggets /r are telling you to gtfo.
The Servant
Senior
And1: 713

Post#52 » by The Servant » Tue May 7, 2024 1:06 pm

To watch a team thats running as a well oiled machine with swarming defense and a great game plan play and think to yourself... God the other team must suck! Instead of thinking damn Wolves look great... Classic RGM two game take.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by brutalitops » Tue May 7, 2024 1:08 pm

WhatTheBuck wrote:Waiting for a stat geek to give us some justification for Jokic not being a cone on defense.

Some times you've just got to trust your eyes.

He rebounds well and has good a anticipation. He's ok, but he, as well as most NBA centers ain't doing **** when guys like Ant basically have a runway to him and the rim
76Shots
Sophomore
And1: 320

Post#54 » by 76Shots » Tue May 7, 2024 1:17 pm

TravisScott55 wrote:The conversation of him being in the tier of Lebron/Jordan/Bird/Duncan needs to end. There was no "bad match ups" for those guys that made them look this bad. When you are a generational player your talent supersedes any match up.

Like Lebron when he lost in the finals against Dallas or how Jordan hadn't won anything until Phil and Pippen showed up or how the 8th seed Grizzlies beat Duncan's 1st seed Spurs?
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 2,101

Post#55 » by Bobbymcgee » Tue May 7, 2024 1:19 pm

Jokic's accolades ring as hollow as his brother's punches.
TravisScott55
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,930

Post#56 » by TravisScott55 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:24 pm

76Shots wrote:
TravisScott55 wrote:The conversation of him being in the tier of Lebron/Jordan/Bird/Duncan needs to end. There was no "bad match ups" for those guys that made them look this bad. When you are a generational player your talent supersedes any match up.

Like Lebron when he lost in the finals against Dallas or how Jordan hadn't won anything until Phil and Pippen showed up or how the 8th seed Grizzlies beat Duncan's 1st seed Spurs?

The difference is once those guys started winning they were completely dominant, Jokic is getting shut down by KAT and Naz Reid, and a complete pylon on defense.
kveble
Ballboy
And1: 79

Post#57 » by kveble » Tue May 7, 2024 1:27 pm

TravisScott55 wrote:
76Shots wrote:

The difference is once those guys started winning they were completely dominant, Jokic is getting shut down by KAT and Naz Reid, and a complete pylon on defense.

You've got it wrong, the difference is the teammates...
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,575

Post#58 » by GrandTheftRondo » Tue May 7, 2024 1:27 pm

eyeatoma wrote:

Must get tiring being wrong so much
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,575

Post#59 » by GrandTheftRondo » Tue May 7, 2024 1:30 pm

Stan wrote:Anyone who still argues Embiid over Jokic in 2024 instantly loses all credibility. The guy's a soon to be 3x MVP and had literally one of the greatest playoff runs ever last year, now all the vultures want to come out for his first subpar playoff play in years.

Sports fans in the social media era just suck.

I’m not even sure who is good at basketball anymore according to cooked sports fans these days.

By my count every player is apparently overrated, a fraud, lucky etc.

Who is actually left?
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,854

Post#60 » by Joao Saraiva » Tue May 7, 2024 1:34 pm

The entire team played bad. One game.

He's still a special force, and I'm not even counting Denver out yet. However if Murray and Porter aren't capable of providing anything it will make things hard.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan

Return to The General Board