Jalen Brunson

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,365

Jalen Brunson 

Post#1 » by mdonnelly1989 » Tue May 7, 2024 8:31 pm

Jalen Brunson should start to deserve more attention as a top 10 player.

Lock top 5 PG and Top 15 player in the league.

Shai
Luka
Steph
And you can argue a very strong case for Brunson at 4th
TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 2,998

Re: Jalen Brunson 

Post#2 » by TheGeneral99 » Tue May 7, 2024 8:34 pm

He's definitely top 15, no question.

I don't think many people are denying he's a top 15 player right now.

Top 20 players currently are Jokic, Luka, Steph, Durant, Embiid, Giannis, Tatum, Shai, Edwards, Kawhi, George, Booker, Lebron, AD, Sabonis, Morant, Lillard, Butler, Mitchell, Haliburton, Brunson etc.

I would personally put Brunson ahead of guys like Mitchell, Haliburton, Lillard, Morant, Sabonis, Booker, and George.

So yes, easily top 15.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,786

Post#3 » by EmpireFalls » Tue May 7, 2024 8:34 pm

It’s so bizarre to me, because we constantly hear about how the big media markets get all the coverage and all that, but if any of these other stars put up 40 in 4 straight playoff games that’d probably lead every sports talk show in the country. And yet for Brunson, not that much love. Don’t get it
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,786

Post#4 » by iLLmatic860 » Tue May 7, 2024 8:34 pm

Knicks don’t have a star

Brunson just happens to be the greatest roleplayer of all time
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,786

Post#5 » by iLLmatic860 » Tue May 7, 2024 8:35 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:It’s so bizarre to me, because we constantly hear about how the big media markets get all the coverage and all that, but if any of these other stars put up 40 in 4 straight playoff games that’d probably lead every sports talk show in the country. And yet for Brunson, not that much love. Don’t get it

Brunson plays better when hes doubted to be honest
mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,365

Post#6 » by mdonnelly1989 » Tue May 7, 2024 8:39 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:It’s so bizarre to me, because we constantly hear about how the big media markets get all the coverage and all that, but if any of these other stars put up 40 in 4 straight playoff games that’d probably lead every sports talk show in the country. And yet for Brunson, not that much love. Don’t get it

I think it’s because he’s not as flashy as some of the other guys.

Feels like maybe the Tim Duncan syndrome. Quietly almost deafly great.
The4thHorseman
General Manager
And1: 4,530

Post#7 » by The4thHorseman » Tue May 7, 2024 8:42 pm

mdonnelly1989 wrote:Jalen Brunson should start to deserve more attention as a top 10 player.

Shai
Luka
Steph

You could easily argue that JB is over current Curry. One is on the rise while the other is clearly on the decline.
TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 2,998

Post#8 » by TheGeneral99 » Tue May 7, 2024 8:44 pm

mdonnelly1989 wrote:

I think it’s because he’s not as flashy as some of the other guys.

Feels like maybe the Tim Duncan syndrome. Quietly almost deafly great.

But he's not even quietly great...this dude is a certified killer on the court, jacking up difficult shots from all parts of the floor. Dude has good footwork, a mid-range game, a pull up game, fadeaways, very crafty in how he uses his body etc.

Standing at only like 6'0 feet tall makes it all the more impressive.

Duncan was boring because he a very efficient post-up player who was very robotic in his movement and mainly scored in the paint, but Brunson is playing like a Curry-Lillard-Harden hybrid style of play giving us 40 a night in the playoffs!
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,181
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#9 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue May 7, 2024 8:48 pm

Dude is just a way better scorer right now than I ever expected him to be. He’s always been a dog, a gamer, a leader, a great team player, and a floor general. Now he’s an elite scorer too?

Congrats to the Knicks fans. You really don’t just stumble into unexpected studs like this.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 45,292

Post#10 » by DaGawd » Tue May 7, 2024 9:04 pm

i feel like it’s a combination of him not being a loud flashy sound bit type player and the media wanting so badly to be right about the knicks needing to trade for another team’s already established star player
BaF
Washington Wizards
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,245

Post#11 » by BBALLER4FR » Tue May 7, 2024 9:06 pm

It's because of the Knicks hate. Think about it - for his 6'0" size, the burden he has to carry with no clear #2, the expectation that he will be the highest usage player on the Knicks night in and night out, AND they throw 2 and 3 guys at him, for him to consistently break through and put those numbers up should have him atop of the MVP conversation, especially when you realize the current leaders all have a known, solid 1A bight in and night out. But we debating this. Same thing with the conversation after games - given all I just said, people want to keep talking 2 minute reports instead of his perfect regular season and this historically great playoff run as the littlest guy dragging a mediocre talent team. This is the first year that everyone wants to analyze every game a particular team plays, when they know said team is playing smart, solid, disciplined basketball. They aren't dirty, rough or dangerous so why are people scrutinizing the missed calls in their favor? Because the Knicks, at least to other fans and certain media, don't deserve to have a top player or league respect.
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#12 » by cgf » Tue May 7, 2024 9:08 pm

ol Bighead is such stud.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#13 » by cgf » Tue May 7, 2024 9:09 pm

A lot of people still think these are the same "lol knicks" of yore :dontknow:
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
TwitterFingers
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,500

Post#14 » by TwitterFingers » Tue May 7, 2024 9:09 pm

Right now there’s no one playing better than him. He’s in my top 5
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,661

Post#15 » by NCHeels2008 » Tue May 7, 2024 9:10 pm

The4thHorseman wrote:
mdonnelly1989 wrote:Jalen Brunson should start to deserve more attention as a top 10 player.

Shai
Luka
Steph

You could easily argue that JB is over current Curry. One is on the rise while the other is clearly on the decline.

I'd only take Jokic, Shai, Ant (maybe?), Luka, Giannis comfortably over him for the Playoffs, if RS maybe add AD and Embiid.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,511

Post#16 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue May 7, 2024 9:12 pm

I thought he would be a solid pro, but not big or athletic enough to be a starter let alone a star- so compliments to him for greatly exceeding that- I think that's why people don't give him the credit he deserves- many people (including me) are expecting him to come back down to earth- it's hard to believe he is really this good considering his limitations.
DaGawd
RealGM

Post#17 » by DaGawd » Tue May 7, 2024 9:15 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:I thought he would be a solid pro, but not big or athletic enough to be a starter let alone a star- so compliments to him for greatly exceeding that- I think that's why people don't give him the credit he deserves- many people (including me) are expecting him to come back down to earth- it's hard to believe he is really this good considering his limitations.

he’s almost like a modern day chris paul with better scoring ability minus the dirty play and elite court vision (although brunson’s isn’t bad by any stretch). not a guy whose measurements or physical gifts stand out but you watch them play and it’s apparently how much time they put in to perfecting their craft/skill level. and they both have elite basketball iq to go with it
BaF
Washington Wizards
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,511

Post#18 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue May 7, 2024 9:21 pm

DaGawd wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:I thought he would be a solid pro, but not big or athletic enough to be a starter let alone a star- so compliments to him for greatly exceeding that- I think that's why people don't give him the credit he deserves- many people (including me) are expecting him to come back down to earth- it's hard to believe he is really this good considering his limitations.

he’s almost like a modern day chris paul with better scoring ability minus the dirty play and elite court vision (although brunson’s isn’t bad by any stretch). not a guy whose measurements or physical gifts stand out but you watch them play and it’s apparently how much time they put in to perfecting their craft/skill level. and they both have elite basketball iq to go with it

an older Chris Paul- yes, but when CP was younger he was considerably more athletic than Brunson- quickness in particular
DaGawd
RealGM

Post#19 » by DaGawd » Tue May 7, 2024 9:22 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
DaGawd wrote:

an older Chris Paul- yes, but when CP was younger he was considerably more athletic than Brunson- quickness in particular

i’ll give you that, paul was sneaky athletic in his youth. he even would throw down the occasional poster. brunson is sneaky athletic too in his own right but not to that same level
BaF
Washington Wizards
r0drig0lac
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,376

Post#20 » by r0drig0lac » Tue May 7, 2024 9:25 pm

lol in Curry over Brunson

Return to The General Board