Denver reporter: Nuggets may need to break up the team

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,680

Re: Denver reporter: Nuggets may need to break up the team 

Post#181 » by JustBuzzin » Wed May 8, 2024 7:51 pm

docholliday99 wrote:
Special_Puppy wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Murray is replaceable. The dude was literally shook in these first 2 games. Jokic is the engine they can easily build around him.

Murray is the only player they could get value for without trading future assets. Which is why I suggested the Serbian pg Nikola Topic who is a projected top 5 pick. Get someone Jokic is comfortable with and knows how he plays and another Serbian he can help mentor into possibly the next franchise player. They get picks in which they can use MPJ/picks for a star later down the line.

That's just what I would do though.

Rolling the dice on Topic is crazy, but Murray is definitely replaceable.

Players like Murray are not easily replaced. When teams have them, they don't let them go.
Then keep him and try to trade MPJ. I don't really care I was just suggesting Murray because he could get the most value back.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,680

Post#182 » by JustBuzzin » Wed May 8, 2024 7:55 pm

nate33 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
nate33 wrote:It's unrealistic. How in the heck can they obtain another "star guard" who is better than Murray?

Murray is replaceable. The dude was literally shook in these first 2 games. Jokic is the engine they can easily build around him.

Murray is the only player they could get value for without trading future assets. Which is why I suggested the Serbian pg Nikola Topic who is a projected top 5 pick. Get someone Jokic is comfortable with and knows how he plays and another Serbian he can help mentor into possibly the next franchise player. They get picks in which they can use MPJ/picks for a star later down the line.

That's just what I would do though.

Okay then. Who is going to send you a top 3 pick for a 27-year-old Murray being paid $36M and having just one year left on his deal?
I'm a Hornets fan and I would do it in a heartbeat. Although it would probably be LaMelo/1st for Murray.

I know San Antonio would they want an established vet and Murray is not to old they could be a playoff team sooner than later.

Detroit was willing to trade for Lavine they probably would be interested as well.
10DayContract
Veteran
And1: 2,592

Post#183 » by 10DayContract » Wed May 8, 2024 7:58 pm

Knicks365247 wrote:Maybe don't break the team all the way down, but look to trade MPJr and possibly also AGordon.

Ya, I'd go Big Game hunting. Murray isn't a reliable 2nd option because of health.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#184 » by WentzerWuver » Wed May 8, 2024 8:10 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:Honestly would consider trading Murray if somehow you can get an all star guard in return.

Its highly unlikely though but someone like Donovan Mitchell (like I said very unlikely) who is far more consistent and not as injury prone.

You really think Mitchell is a upgrade over Murray?

lol

Everyone’s numbers better when they the first option - why does this point allude people
Spida is an upgrade over Jamal and would beat him one on one 9 out of 10 times. Jamal has that clutch gene going for him in the 4th quarter, but I would take Spida all day long to build my team around as my Batman while Jamal is just a Robin tossing heat pads like a baby cause Batman doesn't let him drive the bat mobile Lol

https://youtu.be/Vr6gACml4h0?si=LOISY40eAFa0825S

No one could stop da Spida(man) last night.
TheGeneral99
Veteran
And1: 2,955

Post#185 » by TheGeneral99 » Wed May 8, 2024 8:11 pm

Lol.

Jokic is 28, Murray is 26, MPJ is 25 and Gordon is 28...let's break up this nice proven core who are all about to reach their collectives primes...how smart.
Dubnation
Analyst
And1: 3,398

Post#186 » by Dubnation » Wed May 8, 2024 8:12 pm

Is there some unwritten rule that a champ must repeat or threepeat? I don’t think most appreciate the difficulty in doing that. There is a reason why it doesn’t happen often. It’s damn near impossible with competent strategists who make their living figuring out ways to counteract and nullify any roster or scheme advantage.

People with their ridiculous expectations are comical.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 8,964

Post#187 » by AleksandarN » Wed May 8, 2024 8:15 pm

Dubnation wrote:Is there some unwritten rule that a champ must repeat or threepeat? I don’t think most appreciate the difficulty in doing that. There is a reason why it doesn’t happen often. It’s damn near impossible with competent strategists who make their living figuring out ways to counteract and nullify any roster or scheme advantage.

People with their ridiculous expectations are comical.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

No all they need to do an add a player like KD.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,417

Post#188 » by Woodsanity » Wed May 8, 2024 8:23 pm

CobraCommander wrote:
Woodsanity wrote:Honestly would consider trading Murray if somehow you can get an all star guard in return.

Its highly unlikely though but someone like Donovan Mitchell (like I said very unlikely) who is far more consistent and not as injury prone.

lol

Everyone’s numbers better when they the first option - why does this point allude people

He is a lot more consistent than Murray and his numbers would improve if he was lucky enough to play with Jokic.

We already saw him play evenly against Murray when he was hot. Now we are seeing Jamal's lows are they are very very low.
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 950

Post#189 » by Special_Puppy » Wed May 8, 2024 8:24 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:
CobraCommander wrote:

lol

Spida is an upgrade over Jamal and would beat him one on one 9 out of 10 times. Jamal has that clutch gene going for him in the 4th quarter, but I would take Spida all day long to build my team around as my Batman while Jamal is just a Robin tossing heat pads like a baby cause Batman doesn't let him drive the bat mobile Lol

https://youtu.be/Vr6gACml4h0?si=LOISY40eAFa0825S

No one could stop da Spida(man) last night.

Yeah people who think that Spida wouldn't be a massive upgrade from Murray are straight up delusional
Bank Shot
RealGM
And1: 10,553

Post#190 » by Bank Shot » Wed May 8, 2024 8:35 pm

They obviously have some holes, but they are looking worse than actually they are because the three point variance gods are killing them right now. They are shooting 29% on open threes in the playoffs. 33% on wide open triples. Any team going through a slump like that is going to look rough.
LeBronSpaghetti
Junior
And1: 773

Post#191 » by LeBronSpaghetti » Wed May 8, 2024 8:37 pm

TheGeneral99 wrote:Lol.

Jokic is 28, Murray is 26, MPJ is 25 and Gordon is 28...let's break up this nice proven core who are all about to reach their collectives primes...how smart.

Jokic is 29, Murray is 27.

Gordon will be 29 and MPJ 26 before next season starts.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 5,062

Post#192 » by Wingy » Wed May 8, 2024 8:40 pm

GeorgeSears wrote:
shrink wrote:
GeorgeSears wrote:
A lot of people don't realize this, but this TWolves team that was built to beat the Nuggets was done so by big spending. Overpaying for McDaniels and the Gobert contract, in particular. On top of maxing KAT and Ant. They're going to be facing difficult financial choices after next season. There's a chance they don't get to keep all 3 of their centers. Their window to win is this season and next season.

I agree that the Wolves will get expensive, I’m surprised that a Denver fan who has watched the playoffs would think McDaniels (team-leading +40) was an overpay. The Wolves didn’t sign Gobert to that contract, but the DPOY has clearly been worth his deal also considering how he’s turned this franchise around defensively.

Does anyone think these deals are bad contracts, or that other teams wouldn’t trade for these “overpays?”

Of course, McDaniels is a strong role player (emphasis on role player). The point is, you don't pay a role player who's averaging under 10 ppg nearly $30M/year. It's an overpay because no one else could justify paying him that kind of money. He's obviously not there to score. He's there to play defense. It's still not a logical move. The TWolves bit the bullet and paid him (knowing full well the consequences of the decision two years down the line) because they needed him in this matchup and his length is important for their defensive system.

I feel like 3/D salaries have gotten out of control as evidenced by Jaden, even if he is superb at what he does. Even if it will never happen in a million years, the sheer audacity of Patrick Williams's people to float mid-to high 20s in AAV is insanity - and it's mostly because he fills that wing 3/D archetype.

People say, "oh that's the market for that kind of player!" so expect to shell out big money. But how many have asked themselves, why? The market isn't always right. I don't see any clear and obvious connection to this type of player and building a winner. I feel like the ones that get paid a ton and are on winners have only gotten the bag once a star / elite to elite-ish nucleus is already present. I can't think of any examples where the high-end, highly paid 3/D guy is there early as part of the foundation. They're absolutely valuable, but to George's point - i do think they get overpaid.
liquidswords
Pro Prospect
And1: 973

Post#193 » by liquidswords » Wed May 8, 2024 8:45 pm

lol seriously - they JUST won a title and they want to break up the core? talk about knee jerk reaction
TeamTragic
General Manager
And1: 6,030

Post#194 » by TeamTragic » Wed May 8, 2024 8:47 pm

CobraCommander wrote:Cause they down 0-2 …. It’s over - they didn’t win a ring last year and don’t have a 3 time mvp…. So yeah break and try to get Beal for Jokic.

Denver gonna have to sweeten the deal with picks…

SUNS can offer Little/FRP for Jokic but only if JJ is fired immediately
phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,479

Post#195 » by phanman » Wed May 8, 2024 8:52 pm

Holy this thread takes the cake for the biggest knee jerk reaction in the playoffs. Comments about how weak Jokic's supporting cast is just comical. Like, did we not just witness one of the most dominating championship runs last season, powered by the same starting unit? You don't even have to look that far to see how good they were against the Lakers and his co-star in Jamal hitting not 1 but 2 game winners to close them out.

What they need to do is shore up that bench. I get the plan of using the late picks to supplement the rotation, but you have to actually invest in the regular season to allow those guys to make mistakes. I think they relied on the starting unit way too much in the regular season and they should have sacrificed seeding to ensure proper development. Losing against Minny I think would put them in position to actually attract some better minimum players to fill that role. Braun and Watson just didn't improve enough to step into those minutes left behind by Bruce and Green.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,516

Post#196 » by BigGargamel » Wed May 8, 2024 8:56 pm

liquidswords wrote:

lol seriously - they JUST won a title and they want to break up the core? talk about knee jerk reaction

Hot takes generate clicks and money. Everyone wants to be Stephen A Smith because that's what sells.

According to everyone not involved with the Nuggets basketball organization, they should have traded MPJ and Murray at least 10 times by now.

If they can upgrade, of course, but breaking up a championship team in it's prime because they're struggling is just stupid. :lol:

News flash, repeating is hard and there are other very good teams in the NBA.

Regally getting sick of this SAS/Skip/Nick Wright way of thinking. Get better, fans.
Biff
Veteran
And1: 1,312

Post#197 » by Biff » Wed May 8, 2024 9:14 pm

Isn't Murray injured? MPJ is a little overpaid though.
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,338

Post#198 » by HotRocks34 » Wed May 8, 2024 9:19 pm

Here's the Mares quote:

"(R)ight now it's looking like there is a formula to solving Denver. And if there's a formula, I almost feel that you can't go forward with (the same group). You almost have to say 'OK, there's a formula to beating us. Something drastic has to change.'"

Mares gave himself some wiggle room ("I wonder"), but that was the take.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** Luka made the WCF without Brunson
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
ChumboChappati
Junior
And1: 255

Post#199 » by ChumboChappati » Wed May 8, 2024 9:26 pm

They need to strengthen their bench. Also they should have only one of Murray and MPJ.
Ssj16
Junior
And1: 583

Post#200 » by Ssj16 » Wed May 8, 2024 9:28 pm

I don't recall the great San Antonio Spurs winning back to back. Also the current GM of Nuggets already stated he's playing the long game and wants to develop in house rather than trade the future away.

Time will tell if this strategy pays off but I think if Denver continues to build around the edges, they will be fine.

Return to The General Board