Why Rudy Gobert deserved DPOY over Wemby

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,261

Why Rudy Gobert deserved DPOY over Wemby 

Post#1 » by FrodoBaggins » Wed May 8, 2024 7:10 am

I'll keep my argument simple.

1) Played more total games and minutes played.
2) Played more "high-leverage" games and minutes with stakes involved. Less garbage time/facing second units.

DPOY, like MVP and ROY, are accumulative awards, not rate/per-game ones. It's about who was most valuable, not who's the best. How many minutes and games you play matters, and I'm not talking about the 65-game requirement either. You cannot provide value when you're not on the court. At most, you could provide great leadership and culture but the other players are the ones actually playing.

And the advanced one-number metric statistics are all in favor of Rudy. Even EPM if you look at Defensive Estimated Wins (D-EW), which is what we should be doing because it accounts for minutes played. Simply divide D-EPM by EPM and then multiply it with EW. Doing it for the other one-number metrics is pointless because Rudy's per-100 impact was higher while also playing way more minutes.

Here's how the numbers come out:

D-DRIP: Rudy +3.3 (1st) (2587 minutes played); Wemby +2.7 (2nd) (2101 minutes played)
D-LEBRON: +3.28 (1st) (1555 minutes played); Wemby +2.5 (3rd) (1201 minutes played)

Wemby 2024 Defensive Estimated Wins: 7.71 D-EW
Rudy 2024 Defensive Estimated Wins: 8.38 D-EW

And that about lines up with how I feel about the DPOY result. If Wemby didn't have that slow start playing PF for the first quarter of the season he probably would've won. Another 10 games maintaining his play and I would've had him as my DPOY.
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,830

Re: Why Rudy Gobert deserved DPOY over Wemby 

Post#2 » by naabzor » Wed May 8, 2024 8:22 am

So this is how awards are given these days? Calculating random formulas and seeing the best number?
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,439

Post#3 » by brutalitops » Wed May 8, 2024 8:39 am

Wemby wasn't even the best defensive rookie center till after all star weekend.

It's not "more minutes and more high stake games" it's simply hes 18 and was getting slaughtered at PF but some great highlights kept him in the conversation. He was a way different player after all star, but we going to look at the guy who got isolated and Embiid went at for 70 with ease.

He vastly Improved post all star, where the spurs started being a bit more disciplined and funneled guys into wemby to allow his length to disrupt guys, but he's not as good of a defender as Bam, Davis, Gobet yet.

Your reasoning sucks and it doesn't deserve it's own thread.
Please leave out this last line in the future, it's a personal attack and completely unnecessary.
- ccs
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,767

Post#4 » by tsherkin » Wed May 8, 2024 8:55 am

brutalitops wrote: it's simply hes 18

He's 20, not 18.
SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,325

Post#5 » by SNPA » Wed May 8, 2024 9:19 am

naabzor wrote:So this is how awards are given these days? Calculating random formulas and seeing the best number?

I feel like you’re underestimating the gap in D-DRIP. :lol:

It’s all good Rudy got his last one. The award is on lockdown going forward. A heathy VW wins 6-8 of the next 10.
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,261

Post#6 » by FrodoBaggins » Wed May 8, 2024 10:39 am

naabzor wrote:So this is how awards are given these days? Calculating random formulas and seeing the best number?

As long as people continue to use box score statistics, player tracking data, and raw unadjusted play-by-play data as part of their arguments, I'll continue to consider one-number metrics. EPM, DRIP, LEBRON, and DARKO at least try to contextualize these numbers.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 383

Post#7 » by WentzerWuver » Wed May 8, 2024 11:54 am

FrodoBaggins wrote:I'll keep my argument simple.

2) Played more "high-leverage" games and minutes with stakes involved. Less garbage time/facing second units.

DPOY, like MVP and ROY, are accumulative awards, not rate/per-game ones. It's about who was most valuable, not who's the best. How many minutes and games you play matters, and I'm not talking about the 65-game requirement either. You cannot provide value when you're not on the court. At most, you could provide great leadership and culture but the other players are the ones actually playing.

And the advanced one-number metric statistics are all in favor of Rudy. Even EPM if you look at Defensive Estimated Wins (D-EW), which is what we should be doing because it accounts for minutes played. Simply divide D-EPM by EPM and then multiply it with EW. Doing it for the other one-number metrics is pointless because Rudy's per-100 impact was higher while also playing way more minutes.

D-DRIP: Rudy +3.3 (1st) (2587 minutes played); Wemby +2.7 (2nd) (2101 minutes played)
D-LEBRON: +3.28 (1st) (1555 minutes played); Wemby +2.5 (3rd) (1201 minutes played)

And that about lines up with how I feel about the DPOY result. If Wemby didn't have that slow start playing PF for the first quarter of the season he probably would've won. Another 10 games maintaining his play and I would've had him as my DPOY.
Mobley should have won imo. He is unstoppable on defense with his 5 blocks for game average.
Ritzo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,352

Post#8 » by Ritzo » Wed May 8, 2024 12:02 pm

Historically, they don't give it to players on a bad team, this is Gobert's year and he deserves it. I know Wemby will win more than 5 of those, no need to rush.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,733

Post#9 » by iLLmatic860 » Wed May 8, 2024 12:29 pm

I think he’s the heart of Minnys defense. So well deserved
kingr
Head Coach
And1: 2,741

Post#10 » by kingr » Wed May 8, 2024 12:34 pm

Wemby's time will come and he will win it multiple times if he stays healthy.
Chokic
Senior
And1: 654

Post#11 » by Chokic » Wed May 8, 2024 12:36 pm

Wemby was no question the best defensive player this season..this just a formality of not rewarding a rookie so early over a vet.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,668

Post#12 » by brackdan70 » Wed May 8, 2024 12:38 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:

Mobley should have won imo. He is unstoppable on defense with his 5 blocks for game average.

What? Evan Mobley? I don’t see 5 blocks per game. He only played 50 games also.
Sign here
payton2kemp
Starter
And1: 4,265

Post#13 » by payton2kemp » Wed May 8, 2024 1:00 pm

Team record. One is a bottom 5 team and other had one of the best records. Same reason Wemby wouldn't get MVP even if he put up the best stats in the league but if the team is in the lottery you're not getting the award.
Rust_Cohle
Starter
And1: 2,243

Post#14 » by Rust_Cohle » Wed May 8, 2024 1:03 pm

Even without Gobert, the Timberwolves shut down the nuggets. No problem with Gobert getting it but he has far more defensive help than wemby
Sakkreth
Starter
And1: 3,409

Post#15 » by Sakkreth » Wed May 8, 2024 1:03 pm

Because Wemby is below average defender.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,871

Post#16 » by dhsilv2 » Wed May 8, 2024 1:18 pm

Are there people debating this?
Whateva
Pro Prospect
And1: 40

Post#17 » by Whateva » Wed May 8, 2024 1:50 pm

For me a DPOY needs to play in a good defensive team, not in a bottom team, I think this should be quite obvious.
cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 25,027

Post#18 » by cupcakesnake » Wed May 8, 2024 1:58 pm

Chokic wrote:Wemby was no question the best defensive player this season..this just a formality of not rewarding a rookie so early over a vet.

I think there's actually some pretty good reasons not to give the award to a rookie.

We don't know Wemby's game yet. A rookie season is a learning process for the player (we saw Wemby transform as the year progressed) and for the people watching. We know Wemby is a never-before-seen combination of length and mobility and we've seen first hand how destructively game changing that is. We don't know more than that though, and the context for his defensive performance was 71 relatively meaningless games where winning wasn't the most important thing.

It's legitimately difficult to compare that to Rudy and Bam, who were playing in high-leverage games basically every night and what they were doing was part of an attempt to win a championship.

We're going to learn a ton more about Wemby in the coming years. We'll discover the full extent of his strengths, and uncover some weaknesses as we watch him succeed and fail against increasingly more important competition. Rudy and Bam... we know super well. We've seen them succeed and fail and endure hype and criticism. We're making an informed decision when we vote for Rudy or Bam, but Wemby is still an unknown quality.

A vote for Wemby is still sort of a guess (and probably a correct guess, haha) that what he's doing is the most defensively impactful thing in the NBA. Rudy we know so well. We've seen him captain top 5 defenses (and better) defenses in different situations. It's inherently a more informed choice. It would be one thing if Wemby was blowing him out of the water in the bigger statistical picture, but just the fact that you can make a statistical case for either is enough for me to want to wait until Wemby is playing in meaningful games to give him a major award for his work.
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,948

Post#19 » by Patches Perry » Wed May 8, 2024 2:08 pm

Wemby is going to win it for the next 10 seasons straight lol, let Gobert have his redemption moment.
OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,647

Post#20 » by OdomFan » Wed May 8, 2024 2:14 pm

Wemby needs more time to get in whatever top level shape he'll get in as his career progresses. Once he reaches that, and his basketball training progresses. I see him winning DPOY many times over the next 5-7 years or more as long as he avoids serious injuries.

Return to The General Board