The SGA experience

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Will SGA keep drawing fouls where he starts the contact?

Yes, legit fouls. Defenders have to be able to avoid him.
41%
No, not real basketball. Refs will catch up with it.
59%

Total votes: 126

phanman
General Manager
And1: 8,479

Re: The SGA experience 

Post#61 » by phanman » Wed May 8, 2024 7:59 pm

I agree 100% with what Kyrie said. He wasn't specifically blaming SGA's trips to the FT line, just more of an officiating concern. The point about it feeling like a regular season game is fair when you consider just how physical the Western Conference has been. Both of Denver's series have been bloodbaths and likewise with the Clippers. The contrast from the first to second half was glaring but referees and players can adjust.

In regards to SGA's playstyle, to compare him to foul merchants like Embiid, Harden and even Luka is just disrespectful. There's different ways of baiting defenders and what SGA does is definitely more within the flow of the game. That footwork is impeccable and the onus is really on the officials to not make these ticky tack calls. From my POV, the majority of the times he is actually spinning/stepping away from defenders to create separation to shoot.

Those bringing up RS numbers to compare Luka's FT baiting is just ridiculous. :roll:
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 89,840

Post#62 » by Texas Chuck » Wed May 8, 2024 8:27 pm

The whole term FT baiting is dumb in general. Especially since those who insist on using it use it very selectively. Do I like you? Then you are skilled at drawing fouls but are definitely making legit basketball moves 100% of the time. Do I not like you? You are the worst not even trying to make shots, just draw fouls.

It's a skill. A very valuable one. You don't have to like watching it as entertainment. I get that. But in terms of winning games based on how games are officiated these guys are playing intelligent basketball.

But again your guy never does that. The other guy only does it. Rinse repeat
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Fadeaway_Jumper
Rookie
And1: 2,813

Post#63 » by Fadeaway_Jumper » Wed May 8, 2024 8:43 pm

Fans need to stop all this crying about guys shooting free throws. Send letters to the players on your team to stop fouling
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,297

Post#64 » by KembaWalker » Wed May 8, 2024 8:55 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:The whole term FT baiting is dumb in general. Especially since those who insist on using it use it very selectively. Do I like you? Then you are skilled at drawing fouls but are definitely making legit basketball moves 100% of the time. Do I not like you? You are the worst not even trying to make shots, just draw fouls.

It's a skill. A very valuable one. You don't have to like watching it as entertainment. I get that. But in terms of winning games based on how games are officiated these guys are playing intelligent basketball.

But again your guy never does that. The other guy only does it. Rinse repeat

My guy never does that. I’d be happy if a Hornets player averaged half of what SGA or Luka are gifted nightly in FTA
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,857

Post#65 » by ForeverTFC » Wed May 8, 2024 9:17 pm

He puts his opponent in positions that lead to fouls, but they are real fouls most of the time, much like what Butler does. It's not Embiid, Trae, Harden flopping.

It's not pretty but it's also not infuriating to watch.
damanick10
Starter
And1: 3,177

Post#66 » by damanick10 » Wed May 8, 2024 9:21 pm

Luka has his own "experience" and whines way more about it, literally every possession.
BetterCallSaul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,525

Post#67 » by BetterCallSaul » Wed May 8, 2024 9:27 pm

He's just really good at getting his hip past the defender's hip. In basketball, once you do that, the defender should either let you pass and compensate vertically (in the air) or try to catch up by sliding their feet backwards and laterally. Basically impossible against a guy like SGA who is so quick, so good at finishing and who uses shot fakes extremely well.
Accurim
Sophomore
And1: 71

Post#68 » by Accurim » Wed May 8, 2024 9:32 pm

only watched first two clips, i think the sga move is fine, but refs should not have called foul. let play go on.

sga was being physical and created contact on the drive. im ok with physical play as long as its consistent for offense and defense

nba refs are horrid and/or corrupt, but i have accepted it at this point.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,349

Post#69 » by CobraCommander » Wed May 8, 2024 9:34 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:SGA leads the league in drives at 23.3 per game. Luka drives 30 percent less at 17.8 drives per game.

SGA attempts 8.7 FTs per game.
Luka attempts 8.7 FTs per game.

SGA has never in any season had more FT attempts than Luka.

/thread

CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,349

Post#70 » by CobraCommander » Wed May 8, 2024 9:37 pm

cupcakesnake wrote:
mr570 wrote:Incredibly long post that even contains spoilers. Get a hobby dude.

Comes to the site used as a hobby and tells people to get a hobby.

Can confirm - me with no life by the gym and RealGM
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,795

Post#71 » by AussieBuck » Wed May 8, 2024 10:48 pm

For the most part he's duking dudes out of position so he can hit their shoulders rather than their chests. That's just plain skill, it only looks off in the playoffs because they're calling less fouls for non stars. That's a seperate thing though, his foul drawing is way more appealing from my point of view than the now standard jump into a guy thing or the arm hook fishing type thing.

Also I've made an amateur career out of the misdirection and shoulder hit, although where I play you rarely get the call so it's just for clearing enough space to get the shot off.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
One Last Shot
Starter
And1: 2,917

Post#72 » by One Last Shot » Wed May 8, 2024 11:58 pm

Read on Twitter
RB34
RealGM
And1: 15,247

Post#73 » by RB34 » Thu May 9, 2024 12:40 am

The way he snaps his head back at the slightest contact is infuriating. He’s not the only one that does it and the refs need to be better at recognising it.
RunOKC
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,470

Post#74 » by RunOKC » Thu May 9, 2024 12:50 am

I'd love to see video examples of the undeserved foul shots

The narrative around SGA feels wrong as someone who watches most games, but I'm obviously biased. A guy who drives 24 times a game not being expected to average 9 FT's seems unfair lol
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,484

Post#75 » by og15 » Thu May 9, 2024 1:13 am

Harry Garris wrote:I don't see SGA "foul baiting" in the same way Harden did or Trae Young did or... I'll admit it... Damian Lillard has been known to do. He's shifty and in constant motion, bobbing and weaving, moving back and forth. He's not out there barreling into dudes and throwing his body into people.

Also SGA averages a low amount of FTAs per game relative to how often he attacks the rim.

He's a big guard and therefore doesn't get as many BS calls. It's always the small dudes that get these calls that are absolutely ridiculous. The Knicks and Sixers series was awesome and I loved everything about it, but Brunson and Maxey were both getting some calls where they literally caused 100% of the contact and there was nothing the defender could have done, because they're small and slight and NBA referees award that body type with free throws more easily than big players.

I was with you until this, SGA is a tall guard, but SGA is not really a "big" guard. A guy like Brunson is more stocky than him for example. Luka is a big guard, or Harden, SGA is still a skinny guard and I do think he also gets some of that skinny player benefit.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,800

Post#76 » by sikma42 » Thu May 9, 2024 1:21 am

RunOKC wrote:I'd love to see video examples of the undeserved foul shots

The narrative around SGA feels wrong as someone who watches most games, but I'm obviously biased. A guy who drives 24 times a game not being expected to average 9 FT's seems unfair lol

Part of it is also the lack of offensive fouls. Everything works together.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,754

Post#77 » by Harry Garris » Thu May 9, 2024 2:03 am

og15 wrote:
Harry Garris wrote:I don't see SGA "foul baiting" in the same way Harden did or Trae Young did or... I'll admit it... Damian Lillard has been known to do. He's shifty and in constant motion, bobbing and weaving, moving back and forth. He's not out there barreling into dudes and throwing his body into people.

Also SGA averages a low amount of FTAs per game relative to how often he attacks the rim.

He's a big guard and therefore doesn't get as many BS calls. It's always the small dudes that get these calls that are absolutely ridiculous. The Knicks and Sixers series was awesome and I loved everything about it, but Brunson and Maxey were both getting some calls where they literally caused 100% of the contact and there was nothing the defender could have done, because they're small and slight and NBA referees award that body type with free throws more easily than big players.

I was with you until this, SGA is a tall guard, but SGA is not really a "big" guard. A guy like Brunson is more stocky than him for example. Luka is a big guard, or Harden, SGA is still a skinny guard and I do think he also gets some of that skinny player benefit.

Well, he does shoot a lot of free throws at least by the standards of this season where FTAs are way down. But he’s #1 in the league at drive attempts per game and by a big margin. He should be getting to the line a lot.
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,377

Post#78 » by canada_dry » Thu May 9, 2024 2:07 am

No goes to the basket more than SGA. He's relentless.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,377

Post#79 » by canada_dry » Thu May 9, 2024 2:10 am

Wrong thread

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,297

Post#80 » by KembaWalker » Thu May 9, 2024 2:12 am

RunOKC wrote:I'd love to see video examples of the undeserved foul shots

Cade and LaMelo were top 5 in drives per game and get **** on by the refs. Cade doesn’t even get 4 attempts per game lol. Some guys just get special treatment

Return to The General Board