The SGA experience

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Will SGA keep drawing fouls where he starts the contact?

Yes, legit fouls. Defenders have to be able to avoid him.
41%
No, not real basketball. Refs will catch up with it.
59%

Total votes: 126

canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,378

Re: The SGA experience 

Post#81 » by canada_dry » Thu May 9, 2024 2:13 am

Wrong thread.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,584

Post#82 » by DaPessimist » Thu May 9, 2024 2:13 am

He lives in the paint. Not sure he's the best player to complain about FT attempts.
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,830

Post#83 » by Dirk » Sun May 12, 2024 2:28 pm

There is a topic about Paul Pierce claiming that SGA would be MVP if they had more national TV games. It's actually the opposite. The more OKC plays in the playoffs... the more and more SGA's reputation is taking a slight hit on the "enjoyment" part of the game.

No one denies he's a great player, makes some great shots and obviously continues to develop into one of the very top players, but you can easily see the type of comments that are being made during games and how he's being perceived (and again, this is not from just Mavs fans, it's from general NBA fans).

Random plays below, where it's just very easy to notice that there is no consistency and the defender isn't getting the same treatment as the offensive player.

These are not "offensive fouls"

Spoiler:

But these are "defensive fouls"
Spoiler:

Ironically, Dort is allowed to foul and play physical and flop.
Spoiler:

I'm curious to see how SGA's game will evolve and how he'll be perceived as he becomes more and more of a superstar and mainstream player (with more National TV games).
60/21/10
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,578

Post#84 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:40 pm

Dirk wrote:Ironically, Dort is allowed to foul and play physical and flop.
Spoiler:

These are horrible examples tbh. The first is Dort ducking. The second ok maybe but it’s ticky tack and the third is just great defense.

I’d like to hear the league’s explanation for the “jump ball” that wasn’t with Luka kicking Dort after. TBH that should’ve been called a flagrant but it should at least be a fine.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,257

Post#85 » by BDM22 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:45 pm

OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Read on Twitter

Translation: They wouldn’t let me hand check like crazy like they did vs the Clippers, so we can’t play D!

I mean, they should be consistent. That's the most important thing. If you're gonna let em play, let em play. Don't switch it up from game to game or series to series.
Mrakar
Starter
And1: 2,619

Post#86 » by Mrakar » Sun May 12, 2024 2:55 pm

Having to watch one of the best defenders today in Herb Jones trying to defend him in multiple games this season(regular and playoff) and not being able to touch him was painfull to say the least. I almost turned into SGA hater, luckly i always have a thing for young and upcomming teams.
And when i compare what they call on Herb vs SGA and then watch what Wolves did to Murray first 2 games for example... its like 2 different sports...
If everything is going well, expect an WojBomb
#Pelslife :cry:
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,578

Post#87 » by CoP » Sun May 12, 2024 3:23 pm

SGA is a great player but it's annoying to see him throw his head back like he got shot on every drive where he's initiating the contact. You see it to a slightly lesser extent with Brunson.

Ultimately it's up to the refs to be consistent and either call marginal contact like that for everyone even if they're not exaggerating it, or let some physicality happen in NBA games, especially on drives by players who regularly initiate contact and use their off arm to create separation.

Right now the officiating rewards exaggerating contact. It's a difficult job but that needs fixing.
MFT5
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#88 » by MFT5 » Sun May 12, 2024 3:29 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Spoiler:

These are horrible examples tbh. The first is Dort ducking. The second ok maybe but it’s ticky tack and the third is just great defense.

I’d like to hear the league’s explanation for the “jump ball” that wasn’t with Luka kicking Dort after. TBH that should’ve been called a flagrant but it should at least be a fine.

Read on Twitter
?s=46

so explain why sga is given calls no one else gets … this what ppl are yelling at yu but yu refuse to see lol

guy literally says “he’s fouled but they dnt call it” lol
Pablo Escobar
Head Coach
And1: 4,442

Post#89 » by Pablo Escobar » Sun May 12, 2024 4:10 pm

He flops too much when he drives to the basket. He's a great player but that's such a bs way to get points.
Plata o Plomo?
Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 15,435

Post#90 » by Sgt Major » Sun May 12, 2024 4:40 pm

Is he crying to the refs all the time like Luka? Or just flops like Harden and Embiid?
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,492

Post#91 » by og15 » Sun May 12, 2024 5:21 pm

BDM22 wrote:
OkcSinceSGA wrote:
Read on Twitter

Translation: They wouldn’t let me hand check like crazy like they did vs the Clippers, so we can’t play D!

I mean, they should be consistent. That's the most important thing. If you're gonna let em play, let em play. Don't switch it up from game to game or series to series.

There's never been calibration among different NBA ref crews, and I'm not sure if there will be any time soon.

Literally the refs the last game say something is allowed or isn't allowed and the next crew will say the opposite. Yes, of course NBA rules are on a scale, you can't have total consistency when interpretation is part of the process, but what we need to have is a thinner margin of interpretation among different crews.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,620

Post#92 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 12, 2024 5:47 pm

Sgt Major wrote:Is he crying to the refs all the time like Luka? Or just flops like Harden and Embiid?

He constantly uses his elbow when he gets in the lane to draw contact. How fun would it be to be a defender you get elbowed and get a foul called against you while you're just standing there. He's definitely a free throw merchant. The only call it on him every once in awhile, in Game 2 he got a flagrant for elbowing a Mav in the face, in Game 3 at the end of the game they finally called an offensive foul on him. The thing about it is he doesn't need to do that he's a great shooter great defender, it just makes me think less of him and I'm glad he didn't get MVP. Because of the elbows, he deserves this.

Read on Twitter
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,336

Post#93 » by lambchop » Sun May 12, 2024 6:18 pm

MFT5 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
Spoiler:

Read on Twitter
?s=46

so explain why sga is given calls no one else gets … this what ppl are yelling at yu but yu refuse to see lol

This is how stars are created though. I'm not even calling it a conspiracy, but from a financial standpoint, if you can keep SGA relevant through this calls and essentially create a superstar, the hype is created, signature shoes follow, jersey sales come in etc. The benefits are infinite. Without the calls or the fear thereof, defenders could hold him a 16 ppg. And that would just make him another Jrue Holiday.

We saw the same thing with Harden years ago where defenders had their hands behind their backs when defending him. This happens every other year in the NBA. Again, not calling it a conspiracy, just a smart financial move.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
MFT5
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#94 » by MFT5 » Sun May 12, 2024 6:51 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
Sgt Major wrote:Is he crying to the refs all the time like Luka? Or just flops like Harden and Embiid?

He constantly uses his elbow when he gets in the lane to draw contact. How fun would it be to be a defender you get elbowed and get a foul called against you while you're just standing there. He's definitely a free throw merchant. The only call it on him every once in awhile, in Game 2 he got a flagrant for elbowing a Mav in the face, in Game 3 at the end of the game they finally called an offensive foul on him. The thing about it is he doesn't need to do that he's a great shooter great defender, it just makes me think less of him and I'm glad he didn't get MVP. Because of the elbows, he deserves this.

Read on Twitter

exactly bro ppl think we dnt appreciate his game .. as i watch this series i see sga is actually a good nba player, nice jumper smooth all around but he is taking advantage of the pushing of and elbowing and head flopping. it makes what would be a likeable player, VERY unlikeable. ppl who finally are paying attention to him are seeing what we’re talking about he gets ridiculous calls that make yu root against him … the smug douche personalities him and the rest of the thunder have make it even easier to feel this way.
ChipotleWest
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,620

Post#95 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 12, 2024 6:53 pm

lambchop wrote:
MFT5 wrote:
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=46

This is how stars are created though. I'm not even calling it a conspiracy, but from a financial standpoint, if you can keep SGA relevant through this calls and essentially create a superstar, the hype is created, signature shoes follow, jersey sales come in etc. The benefits are infinite. Without the calls or the fear thereof, defenders could hold him a 16 ppg. And that would just make him another Jrue Holiday.

We saw the same thing with Harden years ago where defenders had their hands behind their backs when defending him. This happens every other year in the NBA. Again, not calling it a conspiracy, just a smart financial move.

A conspiracy is just when two or more people get together in secrecy to decide something, so what you're saying definitely 100% is a conspiracy.
rapstarter
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Post#96 » by rapstarter » Sun May 12, 2024 7:52 pm

The problem with the OKC experience isn't so much that SGA averages high FTAs. His teammates, because of their reputation, get far more leeway with contact on defense. Look at how tightly they are allowed to play, versus Derrick Jones Jr.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,415

Post#97 » by Black Jack » Sun May 12, 2024 8:57 pm

SGA needs to continue to work to diversity his offensive game that's all.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,990

Post#98 » by Xatticus » Tue May 14, 2024 12:36 pm

There was your SGA experience. Did you enjoy it?

SGA doesn’t need to get to the FT line to beat you. He is a shot maker. Nobody can defend him, so they foul him and gripe about how often he gets to the FT line. It’s not as if he is out there barking at officials and throwing his hands up in the air every time he falls on his fat ass, so I struggle to understand how anyone can watch this series and have SGA’s free throw rate at the top of their list of complaints.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#99 » by God Squad » Tue May 14, 2024 1:09 pm

SGA has 1 thing to say to y'all.
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,952

Post#100 » by Quattro » Tue May 14, 2024 1:21 pm

God Squad wrote:SGA has 1 thing to say to y'all.

He's saying "**** yo couch?" to everyone?

Return to The General Board