Austin Rivers on NBA vs NFL players

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Do you agree with Rivers?

Yes
54%
No, just the NFL players could do it
2%
No, both sides could pull it off
5%
No, neither side could pull it off
39%

Total votes: 103

CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,553

Re: Austin Rivers on NBA vs NFL players 

Post#81 » by CIN-C-STAR » Wed May 8, 2024 5:59 pm

Clown take.
Sure some NBA guys were really good high school football players, but some NFL guys were also really good high school basketball players.
The difference between high school and the pros though should not need to be stated.
Maybe if they took a year off to train some guys would have a chance to ride the bench or join the practice squad for an NFL team, but that's about it.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,921

Post#82 » by Dominator83 » Wed May 8, 2024 6:03 pm

When's the last time a football player missed a game for soreness or tightness? NBA players are way too soft to crossover. Anthony Edwards maybe he's got size and he's an old school gamer that even when he's hurt, he still suite up and gives whatever he can
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,427

Post#83 » by Heat3 » Wed May 8, 2024 6:04 pm

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Heat3 wrote:It would be harder to get NFL players in the NBA because of the skills and body types normally required. But I don’t think you could get 30 NBA players into the NFL even if they were end of the bench type of TE and WR.

NFL rosters are bigger but they don’t have guys just sitting around never getting playing time like it is in the NBA. They have to have something that contributes to the team. Coming in on plays to block. Special teams in addition to it.

30 is hyperbole, but there's definitely guys in the league who could transition with a year, especially those with football backgrounds (Ant, Suggs, Roddy).

The more I think about it the less likely it is imo. Wouldn’t there several examples by now of cross over from NBA to NFL? Obviously not stars because of the money, but guys that fall out of the NBA. They don’t all go to play over seas. Some just quit and go in to normal lives and jobs. You would think some would try to make it as low level NFL player as the money is still good. But it doesn’t really happen. Just based on a numbers game, it’s more likely to find an NBA scrub that could cut it in the NFL than an NBA star.

Apparently only two people have done it and it was in the 40s and 50s according one article I found. Not sure of the accuracy on that though. Did some AI searches and the answers were hilariously bad. Some completely made up or confusing two players with the same name.

I do remember being shocked when Charlie Ward went to the NBA and not NFL being the Heisman winner. He had a decent career too. Jimmy Graham had a really good NFL career but he wasn’t on the same level as a basketball player as Ward was as a football player.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,470

Post#84 » by D.Brasco » Wed May 8, 2024 6:14 pm

JDR720 wrote:He's right. Most NFL players are just too small to be good NBA players outside of the PG/SG positions. And even then, most of them would be too small still. The biggest NFL position, in terms of height, is the OL. And obviously you can't be a 300 pound NBA SG.

But there are plenty of of NBA players who could be a TE, WR, CB, Safety etc. Or Special team players.

A lot of these 6'6-6'7" tight ends and defensive ends just didn't have the skill level to translate to an NBA career. Most of them did play either HS or college ball.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,976

Post#85 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed May 8, 2024 6:22 pm

Heat3 wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
Heat3 wrote:It would be harder to get NFL players in the NBA because of the skills and body types normally required. But I don’t think you could get 30 NBA players into the NFL even if they were end of the bench type of TE and WR.

NFL rosters are bigger but they don’t have guys just sitting around never getting playing time like it is in the NBA. They have to have something that contributes to the team. Coming in on plays to block. Special teams in addition to it.

30 is hyperbole, but there's definitely guys in the league who could transition with a year, especially those with football backgrounds (Ant, Suggs, Roddy).

The more I think about it the less likely it is imo. Wouldn’t there several examples by now of cross over from NBA to NFL? Obviously not stars because of the money, but guys that fall out of the NBA. They don’t all go to play over seas. Some just quit and go in to normal lives and jobs. You would think some would try to make it as low level NFL player as the money is still good. But it doesn’t really happen. Just based on a numbers game, it’s more likely to find an NBA scrub that could cut it in the NFL than an NBA star.

Apparently only two people have done it and it was in the 40s and 50s according one article I found. Not sure of the accuracy on that though. Did some AI searches and the answers were hilariously bad. Some completely made up or confusing two players with the same name.

I do remember being shocked when Charlie Ward went to the NBA and not NFL being the Heisman winner. He had a decent career too. Jimmy Graham had a really good NFL career but he wasn’t on the same level as a basketball player as Ward was as a football player.

I think the jump would need to take place around 19-23 years old, guys generally don't wash out of the league that quickly, and the ones who don't make it still keep trying in the gleague or go to international because the money is better. Beyond that age range they're too old usually to try, the average NFL player retires at 27.

The guys who played football in HS and are world class athletes while falling into the body type range for an NFL player is a small pool, but those are the guys who I think would be able to do it. That is basically what happened with Antonio Gates, he was 23 and an undersized forward in college basketball with zero shot of making the NBA, but he had HS football experience and his body type was more in line with football. He didn't play a single minute of football in college, but half the league was at his workout and he got signed with no college experience. I actually think if he were coming out today somebody would draft him with PJ Tucker in mind.
god shammgod wrote:bring back ihart
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,147

Post#86 » by Lockdown504090 » Wed May 8, 2024 7:17 pm

The Explorer wrote:Depends on the position. dLine or OLine NBA players would have no chance. You may have some TE candidates and some WR candidates. I don't think there would be many SS or FS candidates as those would be hard hitters. CB and special teams I would think would be the most translatable positions for NBA players.

nba players are running miles, and theyre doing it every other night for 8 monts. if zion was a lineman, jesus christ what he would do would be illegal.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,190

Post#87 » by Lalouie » Wed May 8, 2024 7:43 pm

there are more, %wise, multisport athletes in the nfl than nba

nba players are particularly encumbered by their long limbs, meaning they are clumsy in many sports. nba players are good at jumping so they'd be good in volleyball, or special teams for blocking field goal attempts, but once they get undercut they'll start crying.

once an nba player gets POPPED he will look around for a ref to whine to,,,or just quit

on the plus side, basketball is a SKILL sport. you have to be highly skilled to compete. i think very few football players can do that. otoh, football is a flat out athletic game and there might be a few nba players who can do that,,,,,,,,,until the nba player gets popped in the rib cage and he doubles over lookin for the foul

this is a biased comparison, but i'll bet a 300lb lineman can run a faster 40 than most nba players
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,296

Post#88 » by picc » Wed May 8, 2024 10:13 pm

Repeat 3-peat wrote:The "Oklahoma drill" turned a lot of football players towards basketball.

For some reason, basketball fans have no idea how much skill/athleticism it takes to play football, or even in the NFL. Whether it's getting open as a receiver/tight end, blocking a 6'3" to 6'5" 290+ lb defensive linemen, rushing the passer or defending the run as a defensive lineman/edge rusher/off-ball LB(it's not always single/1 on 1 blocking) vs the same body types, covering receivers in the open field as a corner while not creating any contact past 5 yards, or even a linebacker trying to cover a shifty slot receiver on free releases. I've yet to mention the most important position in football, playing quarterback.

You don't see one and done college prospects for a reason.

Yes all of that is incredibly hard and not one NBA player today could do it.

But you could find one who could before you could find an NFL player who play in the NBA.

I think that was his point.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,527

Post#89 » by whitehops » Wed May 8, 2024 10:44 pm

it's tough either way but the sheer amount of NFL players that struggle with simpler athletic things like coordination/catching the ball would eliminate any real chance of them making a transition. it'd almost definitely have to be a receiver given their movement ability and coordination. other than that maybe some of the more athletic QBs or some of the tallest offensive tackles (6'9/6'10) could be grunt men.

it'd obviously be tough to make the transition for NBA players but i think they'd have more options just given their more well-rounded athletic ability.
Rendei
Sixth Man
And1: 2,528

Post#90 » by Rendei » Wed May 8, 2024 10:45 pm

This tweet has been viewed 4.9 million times and counting:
Read on Twitter

This tweet has been viewed 9000 times and counting:
Read on Twitter

The internet is hilarious.
web123888
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#91 » by web123888 » Wed May 8, 2024 11:05 pm

Neither would translate well. It’s not just NBA that wouldn’t translate to NFL, no NFL player would last a quarter in the NBA either, especially D or O lineman. Significantly different physical requirements in terms of fitness and conditioning. Athletes are specifically designed for the most part to play their one sport.
Quentin
Sixth Man
And1: 1,247

Post#92 » by Quentin » Wed May 8, 2024 11:18 pm

From last fall:

Minnesota Timberwolves guard Anthony Edwards believes he can become the first athlete to play in both the NBA and NFL.

In a recent conversation with comedian Marco Summers on his talk show "Open Thoughts," Summers asked the All-Star guard if he could still play football and if there's ever been a player to play in both leagues.

With confidence, Edwards replied to Summers: "I think I might be the first one."
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,297

Post#93 » by KembaWalker » Wed May 8, 2024 11:25 pm

Being a multi sport athlete to go to the NBA would be particularly hard because you don’t just have to be good enough, you have to be significantly better than the 19-22 year olds on guaranteed contracts the teams are drafting and relying on “potential” if you’re an NFL player trying to come in at 27-28 years. The NFL is much more a meritocracy, every team is just desperate for the best healthy players they can get and not looking for projects up and down the roster. So instead of being a top 400 player to make the NBA that late you gotta have the talent and skill of a top like 200 player
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,470

Post#94 » by D.Brasco » Wed May 8, 2024 11:45 pm

Lalouie wrote:there are more, %wise, multisport athletes in the nfl than nba

nba players are particularly encumbered by their long limbs, meaning they are clumsy in many sports. nba players are good at jumping so they'd be good in volleyball, or special teams for blocking field goal attempts, but once they get undercut they'll start crying.

once an nba player gets POPPED he will look around for a ref to whine to,,,or just quit

on the plus side, basketball is a SKILL sport. you have to be highly skilled to compete. i think very few football players can do that. otoh, football is a flat out athletic game and there might be a few nba players who can do that,,,,,,,,,until the nba player gets popped in the rib cage and he doubles over lookin for the foul

this is the type of athlete the nba is breeding, a highly specialized one sport player

and 20% of the nba players are physically immature. plus they are babied and run around the court unencumbered......and if they "flop" they will get laughed at by the refs

Any NFL player who could have made the NBA would have chosen to. Bigger guaranteed contracts, no risk of CTE, it's not even a question.

There are a number of NBA players who were highly rated football players in HS and college who realized the benefits of going to the NBA outweighed that of the NFL.
CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,380

Post#95 » by CS707 » Thu May 9, 2024 1:06 am

Lockdown504090 wrote:
The Explorer wrote:Depends on the position. dLine or OLine NBA players would have no chance. You may have some TE candidates and some WR candidates. I don't think there would be many SS or FS candidates as those would be hard hitters. CB and special teams I would think would be the most translatable positions for NBA players.

nba players are running miles, and theyre doing it every other night for 8 monts. if zion was a lineman, jesus christ what he would do would be illegal.

Zion is probably too tall and too light to be an obvious impact player at most line positions. Leverage is a big deal playing line and being tall isn’t really the advantage people think. I suppose it wouldn’t be hard for him to bulk up and play OT but that’s also not a position one simply walks into and finds success. NFL pass rushers would eat him alive. Height in general is where it gets weird for NBA players as most PGs would be among the tallest players in the NFL. PG, SG, WR, DB, maybe LB and TE is where most of the potential crossover would be.
CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,380

Post#96 » by CS707 » Thu May 9, 2024 1:13 am

Heat3 wrote:
NoDopeOnSundays wrote:

Antonio Gates is probably the most recent successful bball to NFL conversion. Iverson was a helluva a HS football player as was Randy Moss a basketball player.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#97 » by meekrab » Thu May 9, 2024 1:17 am

dhsilv2 wrote:I mean...there are WAY more NFL players. So that alone would lend it that the barrier to entry is a bit lower.

On the other hand, the likelihood is a lot better that a few of them could hoop than it is that nearly 10% of NBA players could make an NFL roster.
damanick10
Starter
And1: 3,176

Post#98 » by damanick10 » Thu May 9, 2024 1:19 am

I can see it, but only because NFL has so many more players and I'm sure some of these guys can be decent back up tight ends/WRs/ or long snappers.
at87on
Rookie
And1: 348

Post#99 » by at87on » Thu May 9, 2024 1:19 am

LAvision wrote:LMAO, a large portion of NBA players can't even remember or execute a play off of a timeout where the play is drawn up for in front of them. They have no chance in a pro NFL game where schemes and assignments change due to coverage, blitzers, and formation.

While the NFL playbook is far more extensive, players don't learn routes of all 11 players on the field.

They only learn their own routes on a particular play.

If they're running a screen, the RB doesn't need to know the route of every single player blocking in front of him. All he needs to remember is there are going to be X number of players in front of him, and he needs just run up the field behind the blockers. Obviously I'm over-simplifying the play, but I think you get the gist of what the RB needs to "learn" or remember on a particular play. That goes for all the players on the football field.
SixersSince82
Junior
And1: 205

Post#100 » by SixersSince82 » Thu May 9, 2024 1:20 am

Takes more skill to play basketball than football but really that's besides the point.

Here's the easiest way to think about it. If you have the talent to play in either sport, 9-10 guys are picking the NBA. You get paid more, you get guaranteed contracts and you aren't risking a potential career ending injury every play.

Return to The General Board