Shams: Nikola Jokic Named 2023-24 NBA MVP

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,370

Re: Chams: Nikola Jokic Named 2023-24 NBA MVP 

Post#241 » by MaliBrah » Thu May 9, 2024 5:10 am

Jokic is gonna have 26-12-9 forever and a top seed so is he going to win MVP every single season? Like no one will ever have a case to beat it?

Embiid had to pull the nastiest campaign to have a chance lol basically bullied voters.
BruttoNostra
Senior
And1: 1,265

Post#242 » by BruttoNostra » Thu May 9, 2024 7:33 am

LordCovington33 wrote:Congrats to Jokic. Expected and well-deserved.

A class act by one of 76ers fans who I always respected (even though I might disagree with you a lot)
That's the way to tell team fans from a certain player fans.
I wish you even better Maxey next season and do something smart will all the cap space you might create. Beware of Playoff P.
Vita sine libertāte, nihil
canada_dry
Head Coach
And1: 5,377

Post#243 » by canada_dry » Thu May 9, 2024 7:58 am

AleksandarN wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:SGA was robbed. He had the better impact metrics and the better record.

I guess this is to make up for last season.

Their record was tied and better metrics were what? Jokic led in most advanced metrics
Yea I'd like to know too

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app
BruttoNostra
Senior
And1: 1,265

Post#244 » by BruttoNostra » Thu May 9, 2024 7:59 am

eyeatoma wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:Winning mentality.

Read on Twitter

Easier to say after you've won. This whole shctick about him not caring about the MVP is so lame. If that's the case he doesn't care about the chip either, given how much he loves his horses and couldn't wait to get out of there.

I know it's hard to comprehend there are people built differently from stat-padders.
Jokic plays team sports where the ultimate goal is to win.
Is it hard to understand it's not a shtick to be focussed first and foremost on winning? I know that years of following Embiid make you think otherwise :lol:

Now, a sincere question, really, not trolling - do you play basketball? At any level, no judging. I mean, do you play regularly with 4 other guys on the basketball court? Have you ever participated in a tournament, maybe even some win-or-die game? And if so, were you running on the court counting your stats, caring about your FG% etc? Caring if after the game everyone will praise you, even if you lose?
We have here a yearly tournament in my city, May-July, 1-2 games a week.
Yesterday I opened a poll in our whatsapp group - "Who made the most 3s last season?" (the league provides statskeeping).
Out of 8 votes, nobody guessed correctly, including the guy itself. I'm so proud of my team!

So making funny of Jokic "not caring" of individual accolades is exposing you and other Embiid fans.
I'm not a fan of Tatum, but the guy clearly puts winning over PPG or MVP stuff.
I would say the same about Giannis.
Ant is reaching that territory (not that I ever thought differently, it's just the sample size wasn't big enough)
Luka is clearly there with how he isn't afraid to shot 1-2 late clock zero chance/half court shouts a game, hurting his RS percentages (no, it's not the reason for his recent slump, but I don't want to derail the thread).
If anything, it's hard for me to find another star, all-nba caliber player, who doesn't put winning above his individual stats/accolades.
Vita sine libertāte, nihil
Petergrifindor
Rookie
And1: 1,509

Post#245 » by Petergrifindor » Thu May 9, 2024 9:25 am

Should have been Doncic.

I'm already used to voters getting it wrong. Nothing new.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,621

Post#246 » by KGtabake » Thu May 9, 2024 9:26 am

Thank you for playing on my era big fella.
Congratulations!
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,912

Post#247 » by Message Boar » Thu May 9, 2024 9:59 am

Congratulations! Well deserved for the big man after that regular season, despite their current predicament in the playoffs.

I'm not sure why all the SGA supporters are crying and coming out of the woodworks now all of a sudden, Jokic was the runaway favorite by the end of the season. They should have been mentally prepared for what happened and should show some class by not using words like "robbed". Even if you disagree -that's fine- you have to admit the season of the top 3 were very close. The voters agreed as it went 79 to 15 to 4 in first place votes to Jokic (one guy had Giannis first :crazy: )
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,854

Post#248 » by Joao Saraiva » Thu May 9, 2024 10:06 am

Special achievement for a special player.

3 times MVP is a very restricted group. And he's certainly coming up and starting to knock on top 10 ever.

Let's see if he can put up a fight against the Wolves to mount a better case this year.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Sixers in 4
Pro Prospect
And1: 775

Post#249 » by Sixers in 4 » Thu May 9, 2024 10:55 am

There were so many better players this year. I don't get it. But hey it is what it is.

The media is obsessed with triple-doubles. I mean it took them more than a decade to figure out Russ couldn't shoot.
Ssj16
Junior
And1: 566

Post#250 » by Ssj16 » Thu May 9, 2024 11:24 am

Even tho he's currently not having an mvp worthy second round, it's well deserved based off the regular season and I've said this before, Jokic is a made man. He's proven that he's a winner and a competitor over the past 4 years at the highest moments.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#251 » by Slim Tubby » Thu May 9, 2024 11:27 am

azcatz11 wrote:Jokic will never get the respect he deserves from current or past players. This is still one of the most egregious things I've ever seen

;ab_channel=BleacherReport
There's something very appealing about a guy that doesn't rely on self promotion and adulation to feel "respected". It's **** refreshing in a day where players demand to be put on a pedestal.

Well earned, Joker...fundamentals still matter to many of us!

Sent from my N152DL using RealGM mobile app
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,728

Post#252 » by Cubbies2120 » Thu May 9, 2024 12:09 pm

Sixers in 4 wrote:There were so many better players this year. I don't get it. But hey it is what it is.

The media is obsessed with triple-doubles. I mean it took them more than a decade to figure out Russ couldn't shoot.

:lol: Meanwhile Jokic led in most advanced categories, was a walking triple double, and played 79 games.

I think some of you can’t comprehend impact and just base on game aesthetics and raw averages. “But hey it is what it is” 8-)
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,336

Post#253 » by lambchop » Thu May 9, 2024 12:16 pm

Slim Tubby wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:Jokic will never get the respect he deserves from current or past players. This is still one of the most egregious things I've ever seen

;ab_channel=BleacherReport
There's something very appealing about a guy that doesn't rely on self promotion and adulation to feel "respected". It's **** refreshing in a day where players demand to be put on a pedestal.

Well earned, Joker...fundamentals still matter to many of us!

Sent from my N152DL using RealGM mobile app

100% agreed, however, I think in every community there's always an in-group. Jokic doesn't endorse other guys on Twitter with those emoji reactions, he doesn't go to any of the Rico Hines runs or Pro-Am stuff, on top of that he comes from a completely different background, he isn't in rap music videos or at concerts etc.

I believe if you put Joker and LBJ at a table in a random setting (not a podcast with preprepared questions), there would be a lot of silence.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,621

Post#254 » by KGtabake » Thu May 9, 2024 12:27 pm

Message Boar wrote:Congratulations! Well deserved for the big man after that regular season, despite their current predicament in the playoffs.

I'm not sure why all the SGA supporters are crying and coming out of the woodworks now all of a sudden, Jokic was the runaway favorite by the end of the season. They should have been mentally prepared for what happened and should show some class by not using words like "robbed". Even if you disagree -that's fine- you have to admit the season of the top 3 were very close. The voters agreed as it went 79 to 15 to 4 in first place votes to Jokic (one guy had Giannis first :crazy: )

Giannis had a season in which he shot 60% from the field for 30ppg. Nobody has shot over 60% for so many points in history.
The fact that everyone consider what he's been doing for 7 straight seasons now as "normal" is a further proof of greatness.
He finishes 2nd, 3rd or 4th and nobody talks about him.
When they are taking you as granted, you know you have achieved greatness.
MVP this season? Definitely not. But he's always in the ballot. 7 straight seasons.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,131

Post#255 » by bstein14 » Thu May 9, 2024 12:47 pm

MaliBrah wrote:Jokic is gonna have 26-12-9 forever and a top seed so is he going to win MVP every single season? Like no one will ever have a case to beat it?

Embiid had to pull the nastiest campaign to have a chance lol basically bullied voters.

Embiid was 100% in the lead and likely to win this year until he got injured.

Embiid, SGA, Edwards and Luka will likely win 3 of the next 4 MVP awards and then we'll start seeing Wemby's team near the top of the West with him putting up insane highlights and huge numbers so Wemby will likely be in that conversation for most of the time he's 24-34.
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 949

Post#256 » by Special_Puppy » Thu May 9, 2024 12:47 pm

MaliBrah wrote:Jokic is gonna have 26-12-9 forever and a top seed so is he going to win MVP every single season? Like no one will ever have a case to beat it?

I think voter fatigue will kick in and this will be his last year he wins MVP
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,444

Post#257 » by svart » Thu May 9, 2024 12:54 pm

DaGawd wrote:brunson was robbed

Yeah man, just like the Pacers in game 1.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,869

Post#258 » by dhsilv2 » Thu May 9, 2024 1:03 pm

AleksandarN wrote:
Read on Twitter

You know it's been years since this thing happened. Forgetting the short black guy with the pretty balding pattern's name. But how did he get a mic?
Chokic
Senior
And1: 648

Post#259 » by Chokic » Thu May 9, 2024 1:05 pm

Exactly my sentiment. Jokic numbers are not an anomaly he could avg that for next 3-4 seasons and I guarantee the media panel will not reward him mvp. Luka or sga should have won it this season. In fact if the stats are very similar with the same mvp candidates from this season next year they are gonna shift the narrative to say why x and y player deserves it over jokic. When that should have already been the case this season.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,574

Post#260 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 9, 2024 1:07 pm

What did Embiid do? He said that he wants to MVP, wow super nasty? What else did he do? He said that he has no pressure, because he hasn't won an MVP in the playoffs, again nasy.

Finally, he was asked how he feels about Jokic winning MVP, and he said congrats, and that he doesn't know what he needs to do to win.

Go forbid someone to actually say they want an MVP. Didn't realize we all the players needed to be monks, and disassociate themselves from actually wanting the MVP. Good god, the narratives used to twists someones actual passion for wanting to be one of the greats and get accolades is truly a perfect representation of everything that's wrong with the internet and the Reddit style hive mind school of thought.

Return to The General Board