Hypothetical: Would Joel Embiid be the greatest player of his generation if he were healthy?

eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,599

Hypothetical: Would Joel Embiid be the greatest player of his generation if he were healthy? 

Post#1 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 9, 2024 12:39 am

He is one of the most complete offensive and defensive player in NBA history.

He was on track for 3 straight MVPs, before his injuries. He was on track for a likely unanimous MVP this season if he didn't get pressured in playing after the Denver game.

Read on Twitter

Sure this is a reactionary thread, I don't deny it, but this is completely a what could have been thread. People will say that its all hypothetical, but it was closer to happening than not. All I can say is that injuries suck, and robbed us of a far more competitive big man era.

Now, if Embiid were healthy for the playoffs, he would have likely has 1-2 chips by now, don't believe me, look at his defensive rating in every playoffs. Look at his on/off numbers in every players.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He is far better than Jokic these playoffs, even after being injured if you look at On/Off impact. All on one eye and one leg.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 14,057

Re: Hypothetical: Would Joel Embiid be the greatest player of his generation if he were healthy? 

Post#2 » by jfs1000d » Thu May 9, 2024 12:40 am

Either him or Jokic. Embiid is incredible.

That said Jokic is so unique and so special, either one of those two are the best in the league this generation.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Re: Hypothetical: Would Joel Embiid be the greatest player of his generation if he were healthy? 

Post#3 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 9, 2024 12:42 am

jfs1000d wrote:Either him or Jokic. Embiid is incredible.

That said Jokic is so unique and so special, either one of those two are the best in the league this generation.

Yuuup, a true shame he couldn't be healthy. This is all I'm saying. Good for Jokic, he was healthy, and has put up spectacular numbers and his chip. But truly dive into what could have been and he would have had far more competition.

My biggest what if is a Jokic/Embiid finals.
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 22,037

Post#5 » by dockingsched » Thu May 9, 2024 12:44 am

I think Embiid has benefited from being injured during playoff runs in that it has allowed some of his fans to continue think his style will translate to team playoff success.

What’s the saying? Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt? If he were healthy he’d get exposed and this wouldn’t be a conversation anymore, he’d be in that James Harden category.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#6 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 9, 2024 12:46 am

dockingsched wrote:I think Embiid has benefited from being injured during playoff runs in that it has allowed some of his fans to continue think his style will translate to team playoff success.

What’s the saying? Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt? If he were healthy he’d get exposed and this wouldn’t be a conversation anymore, he’d be in that James Harden category.

I'd say that claim is just as hypothetical. Healthy Embiid has been dominant period, against elite teams. There is no proof that he is bad when healthy.

Want better proof that he would excel when healthy?

Embiid has beaten the best defenses in the league this year in the regular season when healthy.

Minnesotta (50 points) The most dominant defensive team, that is destroying the competition this year. Everyone says Rudy is the DPOY, Embiid has consistently destroyed him historically. He would be the Wolves kryptonite just like they are the Nuggets.

Okc

Magic

Boston

Spurs, not an elite defense, but against one of the best defenders in the league.

doogie_hauser
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,347

Post#7 » by doogie_hauser » Thu May 9, 2024 12:47 am

Nope. Hasn't got the work ethic or drive to be a champion.

Too many playoff flake outs over the years (the implosion against Atlanta several years ago is something that still hangs over Embiid and his 'legacy'

Despite (controversial) winning the MVP, JoJo for a variety of reasons is maybe the most unfulfilled talent wise player in NBA history.n
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#9 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 9, 2024 12:50 am

double post
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#11 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 9, 2024 12:52 am

doogie_hauser wrote:Nope. Hasn't got the work ethic or drive to be a champion.

Too many playoff flake outs over the years (the implosion against Atlanta several years ago is something that still hangs over Embiid and his 'legacy'

Despite (controversial) winning the MVP, JoJo for a variety of reasons is maybe the most unfulfilled talent wise player in NBA history.n

This is a hpothetical, and every year he was hurt, so not sure how you can use that as evidence.

Take a look at Embiid in the 22-23 and 21-22 season. He was the most clutch player in the league in 21-22 and was top 5 in 22-23

JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,572

Post#13 » by JimmyPlopper » Thu May 9, 2024 1:01 am

I agree. With Embiid its more of a mentality and maturity thing.
all i see is blinking lights
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#14 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 9, 2024 1:06 am

JimmyPlopper wrote:

His mentality seems to be tied to his injuries. His mopey self, "throwing people under the bus" all those things, seem to arise when he's hurt.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 17,120

Post#15 » by Optms » Thu May 9, 2024 1:08 am

He was on another level this season. He was the runaway MVP and was hands down lapping the field. Injuries destroyed that.

I don't know about best of the generation but he would certainly have 1 more MVP to his name.
JimmyPlopper
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,572

Post#16 » by JimmyPlopper » Thu May 9, 2024 1:09 am

eyeatoma wrote:
JimmyPlopper wrote:

His mentality seems to be tied to his injuries. His mopey self, "throwing people under the bus" all those things, seem to arise when he's hurt.

That could be. It's always hard to tell between chicken and egg. The reports back when he was younger about drinking pitchers of shirley temples were wild. And I say that as a person that can acknowledge how delicious they are lol. Hopefully he has the diet under better control it can only help with his health. But health can certainly impact your emotional health and psyche- no doubt
all i see is blinking lights
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#17 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 9, 2024 1:10 am

JimmyPlopper wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
JimmyPlopper wrote:

That could be. It's always hard to tell between chicken and egg. The reports back when he was younger about drinking pitchers of shirley temples were wild. And I say that as a person that can acknowledge how delicious they are lol. Hopefully he has the diet under better control it can only help with his health. But health can certainly impact your emotional health and psyche- no doubt

I mean kids will be kids. There are tons of players who were idiots when they were young who went on to be all time greats.

I agree that diet will be key. If we talk about hypotheticals I wonder what kind of player he would be like if he maintained his Kansas weight or at worse put on 10-15 more lbs on that frame as opposed to 50lbs.
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,414

Post#18 » by Woodsanity » Thu May 9, 2024 1:11 am

His style of play is not sustainable.

So he would probably be 70% of the player he is now in order to be healthy.

He would be a solid all star with good defense but still can't pass to save his life.

Even when he was healthy against the Celtics he got swept. He doesn't make any of his teammates better.
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
doogie_hauser
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,347

Post#20 » by doogie_hauser » Thu May 9, 2024 1:14 am

JimmyPlopper wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
JimmyPlopper wrote:

It's things like being unable to play Denver and Jokic in Denver since 2018 and then posting a troll LOL tweet as the Wolves waxed the Nuggets the other day which is what makes it difficult for non Philly fans to embrace/like JoJo.

Return to The General Board