Tom Thibodeau running players into the ground

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,163

Re: Tom Thibodeau running players into the ground 

Post#21 » by HMFFL » Thu May 9, 2024 2:57 am

dockingsched wrote:It’s not like they have the type of talent that would make an even deeper playoff run if he played them less. He’s maximizing their potential.
This is how I feel too.
He's always done this style of coaching.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,973

Post#22 » by tundraknight » Thu May 9, 2024 2:57 am

Read on Twitter
Sealab2024
Junior
And1: 660

Post#23 » by Sealab2024 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:58 am

Quit being lazy Tom. Scheme your guys 4 minutes off at the end of the first and third quarter.
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,384

Post#24 » by hardenASG13 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:58 am

Marvin Martian wrote:I think people overrate how hard it is to play 48 mins with tons of TOs and stoppage of play. A lot of people play basketball for hours nonstop just for fun.

Agree. Granted, playing in the nba playoffs is much more taxing than some random pickup. But these are also pro athletes, and the knicks guys are all in great shape. They're gonna be worn down vs. Boston though if they can win this series. It looked like OG must've pulled something so he's probably out at least a game or 2. Sitting Brunson game 3 might make sense if he's not right (probably an instance where hes going to be alot more sore in the morning), which is what it sounded like he was hinting at in the post-game interview.
toodarkmark
Sophomore
And1: 508

Post#25 » by toodarkmark » Thu May 9, 2024 3:01 am

Shock Defeat wrote:Knicks are decimated by injuries and it's not a coincidence. Tom Thibodeau is known for running his players to the ground.

Randle
Bogdanovic
Robinson
OG
Brunson

All of these guys did not or won't last a whole playoff run lmao. Who is going to be standing left? I don't think this is sustainable. After this season, all of the Knicks players are going to be worn down. Look at how quickly Luol Deng became a corpse, Kirk Hinrich, Derrick Rose etc. Literally all of these guys fell off in an instant. I can see the same thing happening to the Knicks players.

Soft mentality. Michael, Kobe, Bird, they'd be embarrassed by this take.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,400

Post#26 » by Phish Tank » Thu May 9, 2024 3:02 am

OP could've made a better argument, but used the wrong guys:

Randle: that was a freak injury. Blame Jaquez for it
Bogdanovic: he was playing like 10-15 mins a game and dove for a loose ball and destroyed his ankle.
Robinson: he's a big man who was effectively playing under 30 mins a game. Not Thibs
OG: The elbow was pre-Thibs. The hammy had little to do with Thibs.
Brunson: maybe you'd have a case if he tore his ACL or had a devastating, but this is too early to tell.
doogie_hauser
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,347

Post#27 » by doogie_hauser » Thu May 9, 2024 3:10 am

Tell you what, I have far far more respect for Knicks 'culture' under Thibs, then soft Philly culture (in the Embiid era) or esp the dirty Heat 'kulcha' under Spo (although i suspect Pat the Rat probably is more responsible for Miami players trying to hurt players than the coach)

Thibs and his blue collar/working class style of coaching seems to fit perfectly well with the Knicks and their historical grinding/wear them down history of their great teams of the 70s and 90s.

They are an old school/throwback team and I kind of enjoy watching that style of hoops (esp vs the so many perimeter/3 point reliant teams these days, including mine)

I would argue most other coaches probably wouldn't have allowed Jalen Brunson to return after his foot injury in the first half, Thibs made a pretty gutsy (and correct) call in hindsight..
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,865

Post#28 » by cgf » Thu May 9, 2024 3:16 am

Next time please do a little googling before you start threads about such tired old memes. Thibs didn't have anyone near the top of the league in MPG (no one in the top 15) until the injuries started.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 29,927

Post#29 » by Dominator83 » Thu May 9, 2024 3:20 am

Marvin Martian wrote:I think people overrate how hard it is to play 48 mins with tons of TOs and stoppage of play. A lot of people play basketball for hours nonstop just for fun.

Plus, 48 minutes is arbitrary. What if the games were 1 hour? Would 40 minutes be frowned upon then?
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
SweetTouch
RealGM
And1: 3,050

Post#30 » by SweetTouch » Thu May 9, 2024 3:23 am

He rests for the first 15 seconds of every offensive possession

The other 5 seconds he runs to get offensive rebound
Stop being so disrespectful.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,576

Post#31 » by GrandTheftRondo » Thu May 9, 2024 3:25 am

Eh.

There’s a huge difference between some rec league ball and NBA level intensity basketball.
Marvin Martian
General Manager
And1: 5,361

Post#32 » by Marvin Martian » Thu May 9, 2024 3:34 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:

Eh.

There’s a huge difference between some rec league ball and NBA level intensity basketball.

The intensity of an NBA game is constantly fluctuating. I see players half asleep on the court, even in the playoffs.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,430

Post#33 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu May 9, 2024 3:41 am

It is Thibs modus operandi.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,578

Post#34 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:05 am

By the way things are going, next season Josh Hart is going to break Wilt's record of 48,5 mpg.
Ssj16
Junior
And1: 578

Post#35 » by Ssj16 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:14 am

Non stop for fun = playing NBA basketball in playoffs against the best players in the world who are giants that are physical spicemens.

Got it.
mj234eva
General Manager
And1: 3,573

Post#36 » by mj234eva » Thu May 9, 2024 4:24 am

Water is wet
Michael Jordan wrote:Sometimes I wish I could be my teammates looking at that
defense. It must be nice. But it isn't nice for me.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,576

Post#37 » by GrandTheftRondo » Thu May 9, 2024 4:26 am

Marvin Martian wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:

Eh.

The intensity of an NBA game is constantly fluctuating. I see players half asleep on the court, even in the playoffs.

I’ve played in a little bit of high level organised basketball over the years and the difference in intensity between that and screwing around in some random game was crazy.

Can’t imagine the difference between something like that and an NBA game.

It’s not only the physical intensity but also how switched on you’d have to be mentally.
Ritzo
Sixth Man
And1: 2,352

Post#38 » by Ritzo » Thu May 9, 2024 4:27 am

I'm concerned of Josh Hart, he's averaging almost 47 minutes a game this playoffs
Bob Ross
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,183

Post#39 » by Bob Ross » Thu May 9, 2024 4:27 am

Lazy thread. OG you might have an argument for but not the others
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,865

Post#40 » by cgf » Thu May 9, 2024 4:29 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Marvin Martian wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:Eh.

I’ve played in a little bit of high level organised basketball over the years and the difference in intensity between that and screwing around in some random game was crazy.

Can’t imagine the difference between something like that and an NBA game.

It’s not only the physical intensity but also how switched on you’d have to be mentally.

It's also very different when getting ready for those games is your job. Now basketball wasn't my sport, but I played hockey with guys who got drafted. And once they left college for the AHL, they put in a lot of work getting their bodies ready for the increased frequency of games.

Can't do it forever, but Thibs runs a 9 man rotation when he's got the personnel for it...we just don't after losing 3 guys from our rotation; 4 if OG misses any games.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!

Return to The General Board