Who was more valuable Luka or Shai during the regular season?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Luka Doncic
58%
Shai Alexander
42%

Total votes: 76

mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,361

Post#1 » by mdonnelly1989 » Thu May 9, 2024 2:53 am

Now that Jokic won it.

Who do you think was more valuable between these two?
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,349

Re: Who was more valuable Luka or Shai during the regular season? 

Post#2 » by CobraCommander » Thu May 9, 2024 3:11 am

SGA was ahead of Luka in the MVP voting twice in a row and neither one of them was close to the winner.

Luka is one of the two best scorers in the league - Luka and Embiid-

SGA is the best 2 two way player and still avg 30 a game and the number 1 seed on the second youngest team in NBA.

Avg age of OKC is 23 and SGA at 25 got them in first in the west…

I think getting number 1 in the west meant a lot for getting SGA 15 first place over Lukas 4

It wasnt close - between these two in voting

Kinda hard not to vote for SGA over Luka even tho I think they are as close as Giannis and Jokic were before Jokic ascended last year to the best of a generation.

Funny thing is - SGA is much more consistent than Luka because SGA brings defense and leadership every night and Luka doesn’t.

But Luka’s best game might be the best game ever… so his maximum best is better than anything SGA can bring.

It’s too close between these two!
Primedeion
Junior
And1: 824

Post#3 » by Primedeion » Thu May 9, 2024 3:13 am

Luka has a great case if you ignore defense, efficiency, team success, and pretty much all of the +/- numbers.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,112

Post#4 » by Chuck Everett » Thu May 9, 2024 3:15 am

SGA was more deserving.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by mdonnelly1989 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:33 am

CobraCommander wrote:SGA was ahead of Luka in the MVP voting twice in a row and neither one of them was close to the winner.

SGA is the best 2 two way player and still avg 30 a game and the number 1 seed on the second youngest team in NBA.

I think getting number 1 in the west meant a lot for getting SGA 15 first place over Lukas 4

Kinda hard not to vote for SGA over Luka even tho I think they are as close as Giannis and Jokic were before Jokic ascended last year to the best of a generation.

Funny thing is - SGA is much more consistent than Luka because SGA brings defense and leadership every night and Luka doesn’t.

But Luka’s best game might be the best game ever… so his maximum best is better than anything SGA can bring.

Its too close between these two!

Agree!
mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by mdonnelly1989 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:53 pm

Primedeion wrote:Luka has a great case if you ignore defense, efficiency, team success, and pretty much all of the +/- numbers.

What really is the case for Luka?
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,578

Post#7 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:58 pm

I'm voting for Luka because he's the most beautiful out of the two.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,323

Post#8 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 9, 2024 5:15 pm

Shai He was most consistent and helped the Thunder win the most games...Luka had the best performances though
Astaluego
Junior
And1: 128

Post#9 » by Astaluego » Thu May 9, 2024 5:45 pm

vote for Luka, although I'll admit I'm biased here... it really comes down to the fact that I think the best version of Luka is a higher ceiling than SGA
Old Mike Lorenzo
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,631

Post#10 » by JustBuzzin » Thu May 9, 2024 5:47 pm

It was close, but I gave the slight edge to Luka because SGA got hurt towards the end of the season.
mdonnelly1989
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by mdonnelly1989 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:19 am

JustBuzzin wrote:It was close, but I gave the slight edge to Luka because SGA got hurt towards the end of the season.

Mhmm
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,540

Post#12 » by MrGoat » Fri May 10, 2024 5:30 am

Luka Doncic averaged 27.1 points if you took free throws away. Michael Jordan never hit that number. When you combine his points and assists he became the first player in NBA history to account for over 57 points per game. Kyrie missed about 20 games with injury early in the season which hurt their record and his advanced stats, too
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,948

Post#13 » by Patches Perry » Fri May 10, 2024 5:35 am

CobraCommander wrote:SGA was ahead of Luka in the MVP voting twice in a row and neither one of them was close to the winner.

Good post. Luka's willingness and ability to shoot the three ball makes his ceiling game much higher than Shai. Shai will play the same game over and over and over on both ends and just doesn't shoot threes. He attacks the hoop relentlessly every single time (also why he gets a lot of free throws). Luka will shoot threes and score 60-70. I don't think Shai has ever even scored 45 despite being a truly elite scorer.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,579

Post#14 » by Wolveswin » Fri May 10, 2024 5:37 am

Suns should have both players. Same draft. Ugh
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,871

Post#15 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:40 am

I know people won't like this, but Luka is more valuable to his team. But if I look at the MVP history, SGA would get my vote due to team success and similar level of play. But the mavs just aren't in the playoffs without Luka.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 14,349

Post#16 » by CobraCommander » Fri May 10, 2024 5:45 am

Patches Perry wrote:

Good post. Luka's willingness and ability to shoot the three ball makes his ceiling game much higher than Shai. Shai will play the same game over and over and over on both ends and just doesn't shoot threes. He attacks the hoop relentlessly every single time (also why he gets a lot of free throws). Luka will shoot threes and score 60-70. I don't think Shai has ever even scored 45 despite being a truly elite scorer.

I think sga has a better chance of winning more than Luka because of this. The fluky streaky 3 makes him capable of scoring 70 efficiently or 30 inefficiently on the same shots lol
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,008

Post#17 » by Apz » Fri May 10, 2024 7:45 am

Cant go by teamsuccess when 1 team is healthy all season and the other isnt. Not like it was a giant gap between the teams. Heard the numbers but cang remember exactly. Something like mavs starting 5 had 150 posessions together in rs and okc had 1700. And add mavs actually putting their g-league team out there the last 2 games while okc kept running their starters
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,584

Post#18 » by lonzo_pelota » Fri May 10, 2024 8:13 am

Im gonna go with Ex Clipper SGA
Mr. Perfect
Analyst
And1: 1,315

Post#19 » by Mr. Perfect » Fri May 10, 2024 1:05 pm

Luka was more valuable to his team than Shai was to OKC. OKC can win without Shai, Dallas doesn't really do much winning without Luka.
hagredionis
Freshman
And1: 45

Post#20 » by hagredionis » Fri May 10, 2024 4:03 pm

Luka 33.9 ppg / 9.8 apg / 9.2 rpg
SGA 30.1 ppg / 6.2 apg / 5.5 rpg

The numbers are clear.

Return to The General Board