Who Would You Rather Have: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander or Anthony Edwards?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
43%
Anthony Edwards
57%

Total votes: 92

WillyJakkz
RealGM
And1: 3,455

Post#1 » by WillyJakkz » Thu May 9, 2024 7:25 pm

A comparison of 2 young guards who have ARRIVED, (well some may say SGA was already there) and positioned themselves as MVP candidates as well as their teams for a Finals appearance.

Who Would You Rather Have:

25yr old Shai Gilgeous-Alexander or 22yr old Anthony Edwards?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gilgesh01.html

Anthony Edwards
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/e/edwaran01.html
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,189

Re: Who Would You Rather Have: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander or Anthony Edwards? 

Post#2 » by UcanUwill » Thu May 9, 2024 7:29 pm

ANT. Younger, more athletic. I am projecting, but ANT could be something more than just great. Worst case scenario - hes not... still, a worse, but younger version of SGA, so I think the gamble is more than worth it.
Dominator83
RealGM
And1: 30,055

Post#3 » by Dominator83 » Thu May 9, 2024 7:31 pm

I'll get back to you after the next round !
Fantasy Hoops/Football/Baseball fans..

For info on a forum that actually talks Fantasy sports and not spammed with soliciting leagues, PM me. The more the merrier !
holdenwait
Sixth Man
And1: 1,795

Post#4 » by holdenwait » Thu May 9, 2024 7:38 pm

Edwards all the way, just cause his game and on court personality is more exciting/engaging. well I shouldn't say just because, because he's also 3 years younger. was surprised to find out SGA is taller than him by 2 inches tho, at least according to google lol. AE feels taller for some reason.

anyhow, can't wait to see these two going at it in the conference finals :)
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,276

Post#5 » by Edrees » Thu May 9, 2024 7:39 pm

It's close but I'll take Edwards slightly for being younger, he might be much better than current SGA at age 25.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,776

Post#6 » by Domejandro » Thu May 9, 2024 7:48 pm

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander is much more consistent currently, but I would choose Anthony Edwards and take a risk on the potential higher upside.
Meeksology
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,675

Post#7 » by Meeksology » Thu May 9, 2024 7:49 pm

I love Ant's game and demeanor but I'll have to go against the majority and go SGA.. if only because he's canadian and a Kentucky product. But I'd be extremely happy with either one.
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 3,048

Post#8 » by Teen Girl Squad » Thu May 9, 2024 7:53 pm

holdenwait wrote:Edwards all the way, just cause his game and on court personality is more exciting/engaging. well I shouldn't say just because, because he's also 3 years younger. was surprised to find out SGA is taller than him by 2 inches tho, at least according to google lol. AE feels taller for some reason.

TBF listed heights are notoriously innacurate, especially with young prospects. A lot of them grow once they are in the league.
pipfan
RealGM
And1: 3,409

Post#9 » by pipfan » Thu May 9, 2024 8:21 pm

SGA for sure-much less of a chance of a serious injury, due to playing style
Can't go wrong with either-both HoF studs
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,152

Post#10 » by Mr B » Thu May 9, 2024 8:26 pm

Easy Anthony Edwards. He’s younger and has more upside.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,290

Post#11 » by shrink » Thu May 9, 2024 8:26 pm

Teen Girl Squad wrote:
holdenwait wrote:Edwards all the way, just cause his game and on court personality is more exciting/engaging. well I shouldn't say just because, because he's also 3 years younger. was surprised to find out SGA is taller than him by 2 inches tho, at least according to google lol. AE feels taller for some reason.

TBF listed heights are notoriously innacurate, especially with young prospects. A lot of them grow once they are in the league.

That’s a good point, and there is a lot of conjecture that Edwards and McDaniels have grown since they were drafted.

Shai is the better player right now, and an MVP candidate for the regular season. But Edwards trajectory is so high right now, that he could be a significantly better player than Shai when he turns 25. I don’t think a franchise can pass on Ant, especially when you factor in the money-making angle and his personality.

Crazy too how quickly this has happened for Ant. Imagine how crazy this question would have sounded at the start of the season!
Special_Puppy
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,017

Post#12 » by Special_Puppy » Thu May 9, 2024 9:15 pm

Basically do you value someone was has demonstrated over a full season that they can play at a MVP candidate caliber level or do you value someone who has played at a BITW caliber in a small sample and who is much younger
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,780

Post#13 » by Harry Garris » Thu May 9, 2024 9:26 pm

I'm actually going to pick SGA. Both elite scorers, both very high level defenders, I have always been of the opinion though that the top level of playmakers who can completely throw a defense off of their gameplan unlocks your offense in a way that an individually great scorer never quite can. And SGA is that kind of player.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 2,054

Post#14 » by thinktank » Thu May 9, 2024 9:27 pm

Teen Girl Squad wrote:

Ant plays like he’s 6-8’’ tall / long.

Strong, wings of a condor, and basically never before seen in-game athleticism and if you don’t believe me try to find another blocked shot where the player is going up when he hits the back of his head and neck on the rim.
“Tatum is garbage.” “Tatum is literally dogcrap.” -The Corey’s
Deivork
Starter
And1: 1,871

Post#15 » by Deivork » Thu May 9, 2024 9:38 pm

4 months ago I made a poll Ant vs Tatum and Tatum won by like 70-30%. Now I would say most would take Shai over Tatum. I think I would. But now Ant wins a poll vs Shai. Interesting.
One_and_Done
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,891

Post#16 » by One_and_Done » Thu May 9, 2024 9:40 pm

I'd have said easily SGA 2 months ago, but Ant is making it a conversation.
Warspite wrote:Billups was a horrible scorer who could only score with an open corner 3 or a FT.
KayDee35
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,675

Post#17 » by KayDee35 » Thu May 9, 2024 9:56 pm

I'm picking the one who gets the more favorable whistle when they meet in the next round. /s

I'm leaning towards Ant but it's very close.
TheShow2021
Junior
And1: 558

Post#18 » by TheShow2021 » Thu May 9, 2024 9:57 pm

Edwards and it's not even close.

Edwards very well might be the player with the highest approval rating in the league. He's refreshingly old school, a bad ass in the same vein of Jordan, Kobe and Butler but with the right dose of humanity. (Just look at Butler's influence on KAT vs his...). He's fun, interesting, boisterous. He steals the show with his play and personality.

Shai's personality and game is boring, soft and unaesthetic compared to Edwards.

Edwards as the face of the league is making the NBA a lot more money than Shai. So, one would think that the league will try to nudge results in the favor of Edwards so they can make more money. And I think phase 1 has already started with the prison ball rules that clearly favor the more athletic Wolves team. Edwards is certainly much better for business than Jokic.

Sports (Entertainment).
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,736

Post#19 » by Michael Jackson » Fri May 10, 2024 4:08 am

TheShow2021 wrote:Edwards and it's not even close.

Edwards very well might be the player with the highest approval rating in the league. He's refreshingly old school, a bad ass in the same vein of Jordan, Kobe and Butler but with the right dose of humanity. (Just look at Butler's influence on KAT vs his...). He's fun, interesting, boisterous. He steals the show with his play and personality.

Shai's personality and game is boring, soft and unaesthetic compared to Edwards.

Edwards as the face of the league is making the NBA a lot more money than Shai. So, one would think that the league will try to nudge results in the favor of Edwards so they can make more money. And I think phase 1 has already started with the prison ball rules that clearly favor the more athletic Wolves team. Edwards is certainly much better for business than Jokic.

Sports (Entertainment).

Good points.

While Minny isn’t as sexy as other destinations it is a bigger deal than OKC. They have all 4 majors in the city which helps.
Deshaun Taden
Junior
And1: 448

Post#20 » by Deshaun Taden » Fri May 10, 2024 4:19 am

Do I already have a LeBron, Steph, Joker? Then SGA is probably a better choice. Anything else and I am better off with ANT. I voted ANT, just as I always do on these polls, because I value those intangibles and leadership skills so much. If it's at all close you go with the intangibles.

Return to The General Board