WOJ:Mike Budenholzer is emerging as the frontrunner to become the Phoenix Suns’ next coach

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,786

WOJ:Mike Budenholzer is emerging as the frontrunner to become the Phoenix Suns’ next coach 

Post#1 » by iLLmatic860 » Thu May 9, 2024 10:41 pm

Read on Twitter
uncleduck13
Junior
And1: 358

Re: WOJ:Mike Budenholzer is emerging as the frontrunner to become the Phoenix Suns’ next coach 

Post#2 » by uncleduck13 » Thu May 9, 2024 10:44 pm

They gone quickly realize that it was never a coaching problem
iLLmatic860
General Manager

Re: WOJ:Mike Budenholzer is emerging as the frontrunner to become the Phoenix Suns’ next coach 

Post#4 » by iLLmatic860 » Thu May 9, 2024 10:47 pm

uncleduck13 wrote:They gone quickly realize that it was never a coaching problem

It's def a point guard problem...Nobody can deny that the Suns made the finals because of Cp3. So they need a leader and with an offensive minded coach like Bud, I think he'll be able to put them in better position by telling Suns to get a veteran Point guard
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 9,123

Post#5 » by sp6r=underrated » Thu May 9, 2024 10:47 pm

iLLmatic860 wrote:
Read on Twitter

He's not a great coach due to how rigid he's one but he is a master at figuring out the best strategy for a team to play with. He's a good hire.
Zeno
RealGM
And1: 20,248

Post#6 » by Zeno » Thu May 9, 2024 10:52 pm

Bud is a very good coach, especially for winning regular season games. Maybe they can get a higher seed and even win a round. But it will be interesting to see how they fill out the roster. They have a 2024 1st to trade. They have their 2031st also I think and they probably will look to use Nurkic and Little’s salaries with those picks. Won’t be easy to upgrade for sure.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?

Please advise….

Dan G.
OriginalRed
Sixth Man
And1: 3,032

Post#7 » by OriginalRed » Thu May 9, 2024 10:55 pm

If Frank Vogel lost the respect of that locker room, that cream puff Bud sure as hell ain't gonna win it back.
chilluminati
Starter
And1: 4,091

Post#8 » by chilluminati » Thu May 9, 2024 10:56 pm

Good for Bud, he can take this job and get fired next year because ownership is in a continuous loop of coping with bad decisions. Then he can sit home and make a salary for 5 years.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,966

Post#9 » by Anticon » Thu May 9, 2024 10:57 pm

If guys aren't interested in being coached, not sure what you can really do. Durant thought he knew better than the Warriors staff, I can't imagine him listening to Bud.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,548

Post#10 » by BlacJacMac » Thu May 9, 2024 10:58 pm

Cool.

Then they can fire him next year and hire Doc...
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,350

Post#11 » by Mr Puddles » Thu May 9, 2024 10:59 pm

iLLmatic860 wrote:
uncleduck13 wrote:They gone quickly realize that it was never a coaching problem

It's def a point guard problem...Nobody can deny that the Suns made the finals because of Cp3. So they need a leader and with an offensive minded coach like Bud, I think he'll be able to put them in better position by telling Suns to get a veteran Point guard

Chris Paul was 5th on the Suns' roster in terms of total minutes played when they made it to the Finals - below Jae Crowder and just slightly above Cam Payne.

In about half the games he did play during the Western Conference run, Paul was a shell of himself due to getting injured pretty much at the start of game 1 of the playoffs (he averaged 9 points on 38% fg and 20% 3pg in round one against the Lakers) .

Whenever in history has a team ever made it to the Finals because of the guy who was 5th on the team in minutes played?
Spoiler:
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,982

Post#12 » by Patches Perry » Thu May 9, 2024 11:00 pm

I'm a bigger believer in Bud than most, this would be a good hire.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,986

Post#13 » by zeebneeb » Thu May 9, 2024 11:07 pm

Bud would be crazy to take that job.

kobayashi maru.
iLLmatic860
General Manager

Post#14 » by iLLmatic860 » Thu May 9, 2024 11:08 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:

Chris Paul was 5th on the Suns' roster in terms of total minutes played when they made it to the Finals - below Jae Crowder and just slightly above Cam Payne.

In about half the games he did play during the Western Conference run, Paul was a shell of himself due to getting injured pretty much at the start of game 1 of the playoffs (he averaged 9 points on 38% and 20% free throws in round one against the Lakers) .

When ever in history has a team ever made it to the Finals because of the guy who played the 5th most minutes on his team?

He helped get them their in terms of leadership. You don't think having that type of leadership helped players like Booker?

To me it seems pretty obvious, but obviously you watched more Suns games than me so maybe i'm wrong.

I also thought Payne played pretty great as well. So that goes back to what I was saying, they def need a leader to run the offense at point guard. This Booker pg experiment isn't working out
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,350

Post#15 » by Mr Puddles » Thu May 9, 2024 11:16 pm

iLLmatic860 wrote:
Mr Puddles wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:It's def a point guard problem...Nobody can deny that the Suns made the finals because of Cp3. So they need a leader and with an offensive minded coach like Bud, I think he'll be able to put them in better position by telling Suns to get a veteran Point guard

In about half the games he did play during the Western Conference run, Paul was a shell of himself due to getting injured pretty much at the start of game 1 of the playoffs (he averaged 9 points on 38% and 20% free throws in round one against the Lakers) .

When ever in history has a team ever made it to the Finals because of the guy who played the 5th most minutes on his team?

He helped get them their in terms of leadership. You don't think having that type of leadership helped players like Booker?

To me it seems pretty obvious, but obviously you watched more Suns games than me so maybe i'm wrong.

I also thought Payne played pretty great as well. So that goes back to what I was saying, they def need a leader to run the offense at point guard. This Booker pg experiment isn't working out

Absolutely agree that with both your points. CP3 helped with the leadership and Booker at the PG isnt a good idea. This Suns team need a point guard desperately, all true.

That being said, there is a big difference between CP3's influence helped a lot, and he's the reason they got to the Finals.

Not to say that CP3's off the court influence should be neglected, but on the court he was a non-factor against the Lakers in round one, and the suns were already up 2-0 against the clippers when CP3 returned to the line-up. Devin Booker carried that team to the Finals, and Ayton (yes that Ayton) was extremely important. If anything one of their strengths was that they were so well balanced that they continued to play well without CP3 even though most of the roster had no playoff experience.
CP3 was undeniably good against the Nuggets though (although that series was about as lobsided as the Wolves Suns series this year).
Spoiler:
bullsaficianado
Rookie
And1: 347

Post#16 » by bullsaficianado » Thu May 9, 2024 11:19 pm

They did not fire Vogel without somehow already knowing that Bud wants the job. I always thought he was a better fit for that team than Vogel was. Not sure why they did not hire him the first time.
zshawn10
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,596

Post#17 » by zshawn10 » Thu May 9, 2024 11:20 pm

This may be a "well duh" post but no way they fire Vogel without interviewing Bud behind his back and then hiring him outright? Can only think of this since the timing was so fast between the firing and Bud hiring
makubesu
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,819

Post#18 » by makubesu » Thu May 9, 2024 11:40 pm

iLLmatic860 wrote:

It’s not like Jrue was an elite, high usage floor general for them either, so a system coach like Bud could be a good fit.
Biff
Veteran
And1: 1,316

Post#19 » by Biff » Thu May 9, 2024 11:50 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:
iLLmatic860 wrote:

In about half the games he did play during the Western Conference run, Paul was a shell of himself due to getting injured pretty much at the start of game 1 of the playoffs (he averaged 9 points on 38% fg and 20% 3pg in round one against the Lakers) .

Whenever in history has a team ever made it to the Finals because of the guy who was 5th on the team in minutes played?

LOL, cope harder bro. CP3 is definitely the biggest reason we made the finals. Jae Crowder? Seriously?
"Now everybody wanna play for the heat and the Lakers? Let's go back to being competitive and going at these peoples!" - Kevin Durant
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,165

Post#20 » by HMFFL » Thu May 9, 2024 11:52 pm

The new ownership doesn't look very good.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM Forums mobile app

Return to The General Board