Suggs or Mobley on re-draft?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Poll runs till Sat Aug 10, 2024 1:00 am

Suggs
13%
Mobley
87%

Total votes: 55

WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 383

Post#1 » by WentzerWuver » Fri May 10, 2024 1:00 am

There was a thread where many posters believed Suggs would be taken ahead of Mobley on a re-draft now. The reason was due to his untapped potential. However, there was no poll to verify if most felt Suggs will be the better player based on potentials and would be taken first on the re-draft which I disagree on his potential to reach nor be taken ahead of Mobley.

Please VOTE

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2023/3/29/23654150/evan-mobley-cleveland-cavaliers
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,644

Re: Suggs or Mobley on re-draft? 

Post#2 » by ropjhk » Fri May 10, 2024 1:05 am

i think Mobley's true potential will be unlocked once he becomes the full time starting C for the Cavs.

Suggs has improved greatly since his rookie year but I'm not sold on him becoming a star.

As of now I think I'd take Mobley over Suggs in a re-draft.
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 383

Post#3 » by WentzerWuver » Fri May 10, 2024 11:31 am

ropjhk wrote:i think Mobley's true potential will be unlocked once he becomes the full time starting C for the Cavs.

Suggs has improved greatly since his rookie year but I'm not sold on him becoming a star.

Agreed. I don't even understand why anyone would draft a player based on potential that may never come to fruition over a player whose early potential has been reached and continues to get better at such a young age.

Mobley has displayed an innate ability to be clutch by stepping up in big games at USC on the defensive end by winning DBOY honors. Now as a pro, he'd been selected with NBA All-Defensive First Team honors as he stepped up his game with an aggressive performance against the C's the other day.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-all-defensive-teams-2023-voting-results/ddipxzaykpfytpt9ny2fmr5g
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,942

Post#4 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 12:00 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:
ropjhk wrote:i think Mobley's true potential will be unlocked once he becomes the full time starting C for the Cavs.

Agreed. I don't even understand why anyone would draft a player based on potential that may never come to fruition over a player whose potential has already been met and will only get better at such a young age.

Mobley has displayed an innate ability to be clutch by stepping up in big games at USC on the defensive end by winning DBOY honors. Now as a pro, he'd been selected with NBA All-Defensive First Team honors as he stepped up his game with an aggressive performance against the C's the other day.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/nba-all-defensive-teams-2023-voting-results/ddipxzaykpfytpt9ny2fmr5g
The defensive team should be announced today.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,252

Post#5 » by BDM22 » Fri May 10, 2024 12:16 pm

I love Suggs but I don't think this is that close. These long/mobile bigs with defensive instincts have an inherent advantage when it comes to overall defensive impact over someone like Suggs, and I think Mobley also has a much higher upside offensively. If he weren't playing with a bunch of shot-happy guards and another great center I think you'd see more growth from him there. I also tend to believe the 3-point shot will come, at least to a respectable degree.
WiggOuts
Starter
And1: 1,369

Post#6 » by WiggOuts » Fri May 10, 2024 12:35 pm

This shouldnt even be a question, Mobley by a mile. If anything Mobleys potential is being stifled by the make up of his team. He doesnt get enough shot opportunities and he needs to be the full time C. He has the potential to become one of CLE best bigs ever but they need to throw him into the fire and force his development more
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,292

Post#7 » by God Squad » Fri May 10, 2024 12:47 pm

Mobley pretty easily. I like Suggs, but since the draft he's had to change his archetype to stick. I never thought he was a bust, but I thought he was more of a lead guard. He is still a tenacious defender though,but tends to get hurt playing this style.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,826

Post#8 » by Roger Murdock » Fri May 10, 2024 12:50 pm

In my head when I rate players I have a system below where 5 is avg rotation player and +/- 2 is like a std. deviation off

5 = low end starter/high end bench player
7 = high level starter but not a star
8 = all star caliber
3 = low end bench player
10 = best player in league
1 = going to be out of NBA next season

Essentially Mobley started as a 6 his rookie year and is like a 7.25 now
Whereas Suggs started as like a 3.5, and is like a 5.5 now

So Mobley has always been considerably better, and Suggs still isnt as good as Mobley was as a rookie. But Mobley hasnt taken the huge leap many expected, whereas Suggs has gone from 'likely bust' to 'higher end rotation player' so it appears his growth trajectory is greater/hes improving faster.

The reality is that its much easier to improve the worse a player you already are because theres more room for improvement. He has a longgggggg way to go to catch or surpass Mobley. And how much room for growth is there with a guard who struggles passing and with ballhandling and creating his own offense. Hes a total dog on defense and hes turned into a good shooter. His role has gotten much more specialized since his rookie year where playmaking and shot creation duties have been taken away while hes expected to specialize shooting and defending.

Suggs will likely be a healthier Lonzo Ball with less playmaking as an ideal comp - which is a really nice player. Hes always going to be worth considerably less than Mobley.
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,231

Post#9 » by Iwasawitness » Fri May 10, 2024 1:06 pm

basketballRob wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:

Agreed. I don't even understand why anyone would draft a player based on potential that may never come to fruition over a player whose potential has already been met and will only get better at such a young age.

Mobley won’t make it this year, he didn’t play enough games.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#10 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 1:21 pm

Iwasawitness wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:Agreed. I don't even understand why anyone would draft a player based on potential that may never come to fruition over a player whose potential has already been met and will only get better at such a young age.

Mobley won’t make it this year, he didn’t play enough games.
Suggs will probably be 2nd team.

KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,300

Post#11 » by KembaWalker » Fri May 10, 2024 1:38 pm

I swear this same thread existed like a week ago. And it was a lot closer iirc lol. Whoever had the most recent good game I guess
ORLMagicGirl15
RealGM
And1: 3,858

Post#12 » by ORLMagicGirl15 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:44 pm

KembaWalker wrote:I swear this same thread existed like a week ago. And it was a lot closer iirc lol. Whoever had the most recent good game I guess

That how it works for these threads. 1st game against the Celtics and everyone piled up on Mobley.

Honestly, I don’t watch the Cavs enough to notice Mobley’s game. During the playoffs he seemed fine. I’m a huge Suggs fan and have watched every game he’s played. I’m a little too bias for this poll.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.-John 3:16

Go Magic, Go Dwight, Go Vuc, Go Paolo, Go Keegan :)
Sane
Veteran
And1: 1,365

Post#13 » by Sane » Fri May 10, 2024 1:54 pm

Mobley just got his shooting up to 37% on low attempts this season. He improved almost everything but not by enough. Not such a big deal, development is never perfectly linear. I think it's mostly because of the offense and rotations they're running. They have to trade Allen for the best two way forward they can get. It's time to go accept Mitchell/Garland/Mobley will be the top 3 scorers and they need two very good off ball 3&D wings around them. Allen for Murphy (Pelicans) would be an interesting trade. Dillon Brooks would be a good fit too, he hypes his teammates up to play defense and the could benefit Mobley.

Once Allen or JBB are gone and Mobley's 3pt shot is rolling you're going to have basically a more agile, mobile and skilled Myles Turner. Which is worth the max or near it.

Suggs is going to be an excellent player but I don't think he'll ever be worth anywhere near the max.
srhcan
Veteran
And1: 1,729

Post#14 » by srhcan » Fri May 10, 2024 1:58 pm

WentzerWuver wrote:There was a thread where many posters believed Suggs would be taken ahead of Mobley on a re-draft now. The reason was due to his untapped potential. However, there was no poll to verify if most felt Suggs will be the better player based on potentials and would be taken first on the re-draft which I disagree on his potential to reach nor be taken ahead of Mobley.

Please VOTE

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2023/3/29/23654150/evan-mobley-cleveland-cavaliers

Masai tried his best to trade up to get Mobley.
Masai did not pick Suggs when he had the chance.
You know what that means: Mobley > Suggs.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#15 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 2:24 pm

srhcan wrote:
WentzerWuver wrote:There was a thread where many posters believed Suggs would be taken ahead of Mobley on a re-draft now. The reason was due to his untapped potential. However, there was no poll to verify if most felt Suggs will be the better player based on potentials and would be taken first on the re-draft which I disagree on his potential to reach nor be taken ahead of Mobley.

Please VOTE

Masai tried his best to trade up to get Mobley.
Masai did not pick Suggs when he had the chance.
You know what that means: Mobley > Suggs.
Good point. Scottie and Mobley will probably get contracts that average $45m per year and Suggs $20m.

Return to The General Board