How Do Suns Fans Feel About the Vogel Firing?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

ryguy613
Sixth Man
And1: 1,768

How Do Suns Fans Feel About the Vogel Firing? 

Post#1 » by ryguy613 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:55 am

I'm really curious about how Suns fans, specifically, feel about the firing. As a Laker fan, it was beyond obvious that the vast majority of our fanbase was calling for Ham to be fired since last season. When Vogel was fired from the Lakers, I saw a lot less of a consensus. Do Suns fans agree that he was the wrong guy for the job? I know I'm not in TOO much of a place to judge the Suns here, since the Lakers only gave Ham 2 years, but the Suns only giving Vogel a single season seems odd to me. Was there a lot of internal fighting between the coaching staff and the players or the FO? What am I missing?
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 8,249

Re: How Do Suns Fans Feel About the Vogel Firing? 

Post#2 » by Calvin Klein » Fri May 10, 2024 2:01 am

He was the wrong guy for sure. But not his fault they gave him a mess of a roster with no defensive guys, no point guard and no bench. He was set up to fail and made the scape goat.
ryguy613
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by ryguy613 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:05 am

Calvin Klein wrote:He was the wrong guy for sure. But not his fault they gave him a mess of a roster with no defensive guys, no point guard and no bench. He was set up to fail and made the scape goat.

so were you hoping that he would be fired, or did you want to give him at least another year? just curious
Calvin Klein
RealGM

Post#4 » by Calvin Klein » Fri May 10, 2024 2:12 am

ryguy613 wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:He was the wrong guy for sure. But not his fault they gave him a mess of a roster with no defensive guys, no point guard and no bench. He was set up to fail and made the scape goat.

so were you hoping that he would be fired, or did you want to give him at least another year? just curious

I don’t think it will make any difference with a new coach. But he was obviously not working so they need to change and hope for a miracle. The problem is the owner, not the coach.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,478

Post#5 » by itrsteve » Fri May 10, 2024 2:29 am

Wait until Coach bud shows up. He'll make Durant 27 and Beal useful again.
flranger
Senior
And1: 847

Post#6 » by flranger » Fri May 10, 2024 2:35 am

Vogel was given the gift of not having to coach these malcontents for four more years. All these old, somewhat decent, retread coaches are hoping for the same thing as Vogel. Have over a .500 record then get fired after a year to collect all the money.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 2,750

Post#7 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri May 10, 2024 2:44 am

Calvin Klein wrote:He was the wrong guy for sure. But not his fault they gave him a mess of a roster with no defensive guys,
no point guard
and no bench. He was set up to fail and made the scape goat.

I knew the team would fail because of that. They need to add any veteran PG that is available in free agency: Cam Payne, Kyle Lowry, maybe Aaron Holiday...
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
ryguy613
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by ryguy613 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:50 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:He was the wrong guy for sure. But not his fault they gave him a mess of a roster with no defensive guys,
no point guard
and no bench. He was set up to fail and made the scape goat.

I knew the team would fail because of that. They need to add any veteran PG that is available in free agency: Cam Payne, Kyle Lowry, maybe Aaron Holiday...

You see any of those guys as a needle mover?
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#9 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri May 10, 2024 2:57 am

ryguy613 wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:He was the wrong guy for sure. But not his fault they gave him a mess of a roster with no defensive guys, and no bench. He was set up to fail and made the scape goat.

Kyle Lowry is a winner. Cam Payne can get hot. The needle has to move ever so slightly in a positive direction just by simply getting a real NBA PG. It's an oversight of roster construction for that organization that shouldn't be repeated.

ryguy613
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by ryguy613 » Fri May 10, 2024 3:00 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:

Kyle Lowry is a winner. Cam Payne can get hot. The needle has to move ever so slightly in a positive direction just by simply getting a real NBA PG. It's an oversight of roster construction for that organization that shouldn't be repeated.

Yeah but Lowry is really old dude. Cam Payne... i mean they already had him and didnt seem too hurt when they shipped him away. I just dont really know that these guys are going to make a change. do they take a team that gets swept in the 1st round deeper into the playoffs? cant see it
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#11 » by SelfishPlayer » Fri May 10, 2024 3:14 am

ryguy613 wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:

Yeah but Lowry is really old dude. Cam Payne... i mean they already had him and didnt seem too hurt when they shipped him away. I just dont really know that these guys are going to make a change. do they take a team that gets swept in the 1st round deeper into the playoffs? cant see it

A PG will make offense easier, but the ones available certainly will not guarantee making it to the second round. Gong without a PG is like sabotage. They can be had for around a vet minimum, so there should be ZERO consternation in adding them.

Hoop Hunter
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,555

Post#12 » by Hoop Hunter » Fri May 10, 2024 3:17 am

Not a Suns fan but I'll give my 2 cents. Vogel wasn't the problem. Vogel's a defensive coach, the Suns give him the wrong personal. Booker and Durant are great players but the roster was crap. Beal was/is always hurt and one of the most useless big stats guy ever, horrible trade. They'd been much better with Chris Paul, they had no PG.

Vogel has been screwed over by the Lakers and now by the Suns. At least he got PAID.

He was a fantastic coach at Indy. Got screwed over there as well. His contract was up and Bird just wanted a change, with no good reason. Bird's stupid self made rule "a coach needs to move on after 3 or 4 years cause players get tired of the same voice". Nate was worse. Insiders say he just didn't want Vogel cause he wasn't Bird's guy. Vogel made Bird look bad, after making total failure Bird's guy Jim O'Brien look like a fool by winning with the same roster, but benching O'Brien's favorites. That basically everyone said shouldn't be playing.

I hope the Pacers hire him as a assistant. He can take over whenever Carlisle decides to go to the front office in a few years.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,736

Post#13 » by Michael Jackson » Fri May 10, 2024 4:00 am

Calvin Klein wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:

I don’t think it will make any difference with a new coach. But he was obviously not working so they need to change and hope for a miracle. The problem is the owner, not the coach.

Kinda crazy that it is the owner… you wouldn’t think you could get much worse than Sarver. It’s funny because so many Bulls fans hate Reinsdorf (and for good reason) but just want someone in to come and spend money. That can make things worse as Mat has proven. You need good ownership not deep pockets, someone who hires the right people. Yes Reinsdorf needs to go as did Sarver for some similar reasons.. Jerry isn’t a predator though, but just spending and going all in can cripple a team worse.
Mrakar
Starter
And1: 2,633

Post#14 » by Mrakar » Fri May 10, 2024 4:09 am

Lol, that house will burn down in couple of years...Ishbia is too agressive, his style may work in buisness but not in basketball...
If everything is going well, expect an WojBomb
#Pelslife :cry:
Calvin Klein
RealGM

Post#15 » by Calvin Klein » Fri May 10, 2024 10:00 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:

Kinda crazy that it is the owner… you wouldn’t think you could get much worse than Sarver. It’s funny because so many Bulls fans hate Reinsdorf (and for good reason) but just want someone in to come and spend money. That can make things worse as Mat has proven. You need good ownership not deep pockets, someone who hires the right people. Yes Reinsdorf needs to go as did Sarver for some similar reasons.. Jerry isn’t a predator though, but just spending and going all in can cripple a team worse.

When the fist news, after you take over a team, is that Isiah Thomas will have a front office position you have a huge red flag.

Then if you listen to the guy speak for 5 minutes, you understand he is basically a Kendal Roy type of guy. A spoiled rich son who thinks he knows better than anybody. An arrogant ****.

The only reason he's not worse than Sarver is because Sarver has been reported and accused of lots of stuff. Ishbia hasn't been there long enough for that to happen...yet.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#16 » by Michael Jackson » Fri May 10, 2024 1:59 pm

Calvin Klein wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
Calvin Klein wrote:

When the fist news, after you take over a team, is that Isiah Thomas will have a front office position you have a huge red flag.

Then if you listen to the guy speak for 5 minutes, you understand he is basically a Kendal Roy type of guy. A spoiled rich son who thinks he knows better than anybody. An arrogant ****.

The only reason he's not worse than Sarver is because Sarver has been reported and accused of lots of stuff. Ishbia hasn't been there long enough for that to happen...yet.

Oh spot on with the Kendal Roy! As a booster he can try to buy a championship in college, but in the pro’s that second apron is ouchie. He doesn’t even have the excuse about a business model having to change, he knew that coming in, GSW and LAC were committed to it before the second apron penalties were a thing.
Sane
Veteran
And1: 1,366

Post#17 » by Sane » Fri May 10, 2024 2:18 pm

Merging those 3 usage-hungry scorers is a task that imo only elite offensive coaches can optimize. I don't think Vogel had it in him to do that.

I think they wanted the scorers to carry the offense and Vogel to instill the defense. Roster sucked so you can never be sure but I don't think Vogel is the right coach anyway.

I'd honestly go with D'Antoni or Bud. Pretty sure D'Antoni would break all the offensive records with this roster. Bud would probably be the more balanced coach and has championship experience.

They need to do more of what they're naturally good at, which is to score.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#18 » by Michael Jackson » Fri May 10, 2024 11:34 pm

Sane wrote:Merging those 3 usage-hungry scorers is a task that imo only elite offensive coaches can optimize. I don't think Vogel had it in him to do that.

I think they wanted the scorers to carry the offense and Vogel to instill the defense. Roster sucked so you can never be sure but I don't think Vogel is the right coach anyway.

I'd honestly go with D'Antoni or Bud. Pretty sure D'Antoni would break all the offensive records with this roster. Bud would probably be the more balanced coach and has championship experience.

They need to do more of what they're naturally good at, which is to score.

I’d go Bud over Pringles.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,937

Post#19 » by Karate Diop » Sat May 11, 2024 1:23 am

There are things he could have done better, but the Suns' roster construction was hideous. Not sure how much say he had in that...
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,259

Post#20 » by AFM » Sat May 11, 2024 1:30 am

He needed to go. He had an entire season to teach Beal to play defense and keep him healthy and he didn't do it.

Return to The General Board