What if coaches’ contracts more resembled player contracts?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

DBurks2818
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,052

What if coaches’ contracts more resembled player contracts? 

Post#1 » by DBurks2818 » Sat May 11, 2024 1:15 pm

We’ve seen them get signed to multi year contracts and even get traded for picks before, but what if coaches’ contracts resembled players’ contracts in other ways? What if they:

- Had a salary cap (including assistant coaches)
- Could sign for min., maximum, and qualifying offers, along with being restricted free agents
- Had coach and team options on their contracts
- Could be waived and have another team without a coach pick up their contract on waivers
- (Related) could be amnestied

I know this is a peak off-season thread :lol: I know! But the Heat are home along with most of the league, and I just thought this was funny and interesting to think through.

I wouldn’t think trading coaches would ever happen, but what else do you all think could be up or downsides to this? What else did I miss in this what-if scenario and how it would it impact the NBA?

Who’s getting “maxed”? Who would get picked up off waivers? How many picks would the top coaches be worth in a trade?
danvato
Rookie
And1: 1,103

Re: What if coaches’ contracts more resembled player contracts? 

Post#2 » by danvato » Sat May 11, 2024 4:23 pm

DBurks2818 wrote:We’ve seen them get signed to multi year contracts and even get traded for picks before, but what if coaches’ contracts resembled players’ contracts in other ways? What if they:

- Had a salary cap (including assistant coaches)
- Could sign for min., maximum, and qualifying offers, along with being restricted free agents
- Had coach and team options on their contracts
- Could be waived and have another team without a coach pick up their contract on waivers
- (Related) could be amnestied

I know this is a peak off-season thread :lol: I know! But the Heat are home along with most of the league, and I just thought this was funny and interesting to think through.

I wouldn’t think trading coaches would ever happen, but what else do you all think could be up or downsides to this? What else did I miss in this what-if scenario and how it would it impact the NBA?

Who’s getting “maxed”? Who would get picked up off waivers? How many picks would the top coaches be worth in a trade?

when it comes to random posts, i guess this is better than wondering if Scottie Pippen would be a good Uber driver.

Maybe if coaches got paid the same, players wouldn't be able to get them fired at their whim. But obviously the talent and value is on the players side so coaches might as well drive Uber with Scottie if they want extra cash.
DBurks2818
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,052

Post#3 » by DBurks2818 » Sat May 11, 2024 7:39 pm

True, the pool for coaches is obviously smaller as well.

One thing I forgot: what about contract length? It seems like the 4 or 5-year contract is pretty standard, and matches max player contracts, but how might it impact their market if they could have coach/team options and be waived?
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,330

Post#4 » by KembaWalker » Sat May 11, 2024 8:14 pm

Darvin Ham needs more HELP
fast+forward
Junior
And1: 309

Post#5 » by fast+forward » Sat May 11, 2024 10:54 pm

Teams would probably be more diligent in their hiring process and coaches would be less disposable.

Return to The General Board